Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

bannanagram

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby bannanagram » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:Yeah I just called the schools and got the numbers. Mich will still end up costing me abt 25-30k more total. When I compare the schools though and the enormous total cost, it doesn't seem like much... Ugh. This is hard

I would look into what you think your actual costs will be... it's a little tricky because Georgetown and Mich break the expenses out differently and Michigan is calculated over 8 months and it looks like Georgetown's is over 9. If you take the utilities/food numbers that Georgetown provides and subtract them from the $12,000 Michigan gives for Rent/Utilities/Food, they are actually estimating more in rent for Ann Arbor than D.C....

Kurst

Postby Kurst » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm

It is odd that Michigan calculates its cost of attendance over 8 months. Students presumably will be in town for orientation (August 27), and will not skip town until the last day of finals (May 9). If you add the cost of a ninth month ($1,560), Michigan's cost of attendance is $71,510.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Kurst wrote:It is odd that Michigan calculates its cost of attendance over 8 months. Students presumably will be in town for orientation (August 27), and will not skip town until the last day of finals (May 9). If you add the cost of a ninth month ($1,560), Michigan's cost of attendance is $71,510.

You can easily live well and pay rent/utilities/food in AA for 12 months just using the 8 month amount they budget you.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

sanguar wrote:
Geneva wrote:
potl wrote:
Geneva wrote:will a stanford acceptance help me get money from mich? so far, zero dollars awarded...
still need to submit need-based aid forms

The green-eyed monster in me wants to respond with nothing more than "Shut up."

But that would be mean/unfair and you are probably asking in earnest. Honest answer: I have no idea, but it probably can't hurt to try.

Real question: how much money would Michigan have to offer you in order to poach you from Stanford? Anything less than a Darrow?

I think it's going to be a question of the total cost of SLS compared to Michigan/Berkeley. It's a tough question to answer because I still haven't received any financial aid from the schools in question and still haven't visited. At this point, I am definitely keeping my options open because I am legitimately thrilled to have been accepted to all of the schools in question.

When were you accepted?? Glancing at your numbers, you should receive $ from Michigan based on their formula.

Accepted almost a month ago, shortly after I received a status checker. Perhaps if I show them the total cost of attendance at Stanford (accounting for need-based aid) will be cheaper than Mich they'll be willing to throw some money in my direction?

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Thank you.
Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Hey everyone. Quick questions. In general, are grants usually only offered for one year? Are they something that gets renewed yearly? Before everyone says call the finaid I’m just asking about how financial aid grants generally/typically work.

Thank you.

Why would you not just pick up the phone and call the experts on the subject? That is, the Financial Aid Office. They'll surely give you the most credible answer.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

I think I got my loans all sorted yesterday. That's pretty exciting. The number, however, is terrifying. Anyone know when they first get dispersed?

Also, considering I'm going to live off of a savings that could fit in the world's smallest piggybank for the next 7 weeks, I'm slightly disappointed that it takes so long for schools to submit your enrollment to UG loan servicers for deferment purposes. Doubt it's possible, but any way to expedite that?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:Hey everyone. Quick questions. In general, are grants usually only offered for one year? Are they something that gets renewed yearly? Before everyone says call the finaid I’m just asking about how financial aid grants generally/typically work.

Thank you.

Why would you not just pick up the phone and call the experts on the subject? That is, the Financial Aid Office. They'll surely give you the most credible answer.

Hahaha. Yeah, I don't know either

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:10 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Because I dont want their answer. (I know. Odd.) I just want to know how these things generally work at Mich/at other schools. Overall. I suppose I'll just do a google search once I'm off work. :wink:

...this does not make sense.

YesNoMaybe

Postby YesNoMaybe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiAiLi

Postby MiAiLi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Has anyone heard (or experienced it at the last ASW) anything about Dean Z's run? Just wondering how long it is...I have a long drive that afternoon, but am finding it hard to pass up the experience this weekend :)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I think I got my loans all sorted yesterday. That's pretty exciting. The number, however, is terrifying. Anyone know when they first get dispersed?

Also, considering I'm going to live off of a savings that could fit in the world's smallest piggybank for the next 7 weeks, I'm slightly disappointed that it takes so long for schools to submit your enrollment to UG loan servicers for deferment purposes. Doubt it's possible, but any way to expedite that?

Per the Michigan Law School Financial Aid website, funds are available the first day of classes. Exactly what available means I do not know, nor does it say.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:I think I got my loans all sorted yesterday. That's pretty exciting. The number, however, is terrifying. Anyone know when they first get dispersed?

Per the Michigan Law School Financial Aid website, funds are available the first day of classes. Exactly what available means I do not know, nor does it say.

They disburse on either Tuesday or Thursday, I forget which. You'll get them in the middle of orientation which is super inconvenient since you'll have your apt before then and will need your books as well.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

MiAiLi wrote:Has anyone heard (or experienced it at the last ASW) anything about Dean Z's run? Just wondering how long it is...I have a long drive that afternoon, but am finding it hard to pass up the experience this weekend :)

I went on the one at the last one, it was around three miles, maybe a bit longer, it sort of split into groups and I am not sure everyone ran the same route. I didnt get to talk to dean Z much probably mostly as a result of not being in her group (although I did a little and it was very pleasant) but the run is also with some current students which I found pretty valuable. Hope that helps.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:09 am

The Duck wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

They disburse on either Tuesday or Thursday, I forget which. You'll get them in the middle of orientation which is super inconvenient since you'll have your apt before then and will need your books as well.

Why do you need your books before classes? Just to read for your first day?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

JoeMo wrote:Why do you need your books before classes? Just to read for your first day?

Gunners gonna Gun, Haters gonna Hate.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am

Hopping in my car within the next hour or two. Arrival in Ann Arbor is imminent.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am

UnamSanctam wrote:Hopping in my car within the next hour or two. Arrival in Ann Arbor is imminent.

Don't forget to bring a life-size cutout of me so you guys can act like I'm there.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Why do you need your books before classes? Just to read for your first day?

Gunners gonna Gun, Haters gonna Hate.

On Friday of orientation you'll have a mock class with one of your real professors. At least some of them, like JJ White, just made this a real class. Also, you'll need to start reading for your first classes at some point and the first few can be tough to slog through. I had several on the first day to prep for and wanted to go to the game on Saturday. Plus it was one less thing to worry about. Other people didn't have books arrive, book store ran out, etc and had to scramble.

I don't recommend reading for more than the next class in the beginning. Lots of people can't hold enough detail of the cases in their head until they learn what is really important to focus on.

Also, I buy my books used online. The prices are way lower 3+ weeks out than what is left right before class starts.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 am

Not to pull a Band-Aid off a healed wound, but the food I've eaten so far in A2 has not only been very good, but also incredibly cheap. And, I am from San Francisco which has more restaurants per capita than any other city in America. I know good food, and Ann Arbor has good food.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Not to pull a Band-Aid off a healed wound, but the food I've eaten so far in A2 has not only been very good, but also incredibly cheap. And, I am from San Francisco which has more restaurants per capita than any other city in America. I know good food, and Ann Arbor has good food.

:lol:

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Hopping in my car within the next hour or two. Arrival in Ann Arbor is imminent.

Don't forget to bring a life-size cutout of me so you guys can act like I'm there.

:D

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

Done.

In fact, I may have told the cab driver last night that my name was Scarlet.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Done.

In fact, I may have told the cab driver last night that my name was Scarlet.

I love this. Although I have this fear that if I go to law school with you people, my real name will be eclipsed and I'll be called scarlet in real life.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”