Page 58 of 84

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am
by thelawschoolproject
UnamSanctam wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Is there anything guests don't get to do at ASW? I assume they get fed, yeah?


Bumping this because I assume someone must've had a guest at preview weekend and knows the answer. Also because I don't feel like asking admissions.


I might have just called for you...

TLSP: "Hi! I'm an admitted student and I was planning on bringing my sister with me to the ASW. Is there anything she's not allowed to attend?"

Admissions Staff:"There's nothing she's not allowed to go to, but generally speaking we don't encourage guests to attend because they can limit your interaction with the other students. Really it's a matter of space, like in the panels. So, if you showed up and there wasn't enough room your sister would be the first person who would have to leave. Meals on the other hand are totally fine. But again, there's nothing that she wouldn't be allowed to attend."

TLSP: "Thanks!"

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 pm
by UnamSanctam
Above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks TLSP!

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm
by outsidethescope
Flying to Chicago and taking the train on Thursday! So excited! (I've never been on a train before!)


Can't wait to meet you!

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm
by sanetruth
Soo, summer starters know their orientation schedule as well as their classes and professors, but not the actual summer class schedule, right? It's strange that those haven't been posted, i'd be surprised if the profs themselves weren't already aware of what hours they'd be teaching this summer.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:59 pm
by JustE
sandwiches5000 wrote:Hmmm.. Sent U of M the e-mail about my GULC offer almost a week ago and didn't hear anything yet... People who sent offers- how long did it take? I'm thinking if I don't hear absolutely anything back before ASW that I should pop-in to the Financial Aid office? I don't want to be a pain but I want to make sure it was received and I want to make decisions fairly soon regarding apartments and such.

(I'm a summer-starter.)


I spoke with them over ASW #1 and to be honest, I don't think they have been able to get a lot of things processed this month. They had the 1st ASW, then I believe some people were out of the office, and now they have ASW #2. You might not hear back from them until next week.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 pm
by thelawschoolproject
UnamSanctam wrote:Above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks TLSP!


Anything for you, Peaches.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 pm
by Geneva
will a stanford acceptance help me get money from mich? so far, zero dollars awarded...
still need to submit need-based aid forms

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm
by UnamSanctam
Geneva wrote:will a stanford acceptance help me get money from mich? so far, zero dollars awarded...
still need to submit need-based aid forms


Can't hurt to try.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 pm
by potl
.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 pm
by Geneva
potl wrote:
Geneva wrote:will a stanford acceptance help me get money from mich? so far, zero dollars awarded...
still need to submit need-based aid forms


The green-eyed monster in me wants to respond with nothing more than "Shut up."

But that would be mean/unfair and you are probably asking in earnest. Honest answer: I have no idea, but it probably can't hurt to try.

Real question: how much money would Michigan have to offer you in order to poach you from Stanford? Anything less than a Darrow?


I think it's going to be a question of the total cost of SLS compared to Michigan/Berkeley. It's a tough question to answer because I still haven't received any financial aid from the schools in question and still haven't visited. At this point, I am definitely keeping my options open because I am legitimately thrilled to have been accepted to all of the schools in question.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:39 pm
by sanguar
Geneva wrote:
potl wrote:
Geneva wrote:will a stanford acceptance help me get money from mich? so far, zero dollars awarded...
still need to submit need-based aid forms


The green-eyed monster in me wants to respond with nothing more than "Shut up."

But that would be mean/unfair and you are probably asking in earnest. Honest answer: I have no idea, but it probably can't hurt to try.

Real question: how much money would Michigan have to offer you in order to poach you from Stanford? Anything less than a Darrow?


I think it's going to be a question of the total cost of SLS compared to Michigan/Berkeley. It's a tough question to answer because I still haven't received any financial aid from the schools in question and still haven't visited. At this point, I am definitely keeping my options open because I am legitimately thrilled to have been accepted to all of the schools in question.



When were you accepted?? Glancing at your numbers, you should receive $ from Michigan based on their formula.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:44 pm
by sandwiches5000
JustE wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Hmmm.. Sent U of M the e-mail about my GULC offer almost a week ago and didn't hear anything yet... People who sent offers- how long did it take? I'm thinking if I don't hear absolutely anything back before ASW that I should pop-in to the Financial Aid office? I don't want to be a pain but I want to make sure it was received and I want to make decisions fairly soon regarding apartments and such.

(I'm a summer-starter.)


I spoke with them over ASW #1 and to be honest, I don't think they have been able to get a lot of things processed this month. They had the 1st ASW, then I believe some people were out of the office, and now they have ASW #2. You might not hear back from them until next week.


Okay, good to know. I don't feel as concerned then. :)

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm
by chickenalfredo
sandwiches5000 wrote:Hmmm.. Sent U of M the e-mail about my GULC offer almost a week ago and didn't hear anything yet... People who sent offers- how long did it take? I'm thinking if I don't hear absolutely anything back before ASW that I should pop-in to the Financial Aid office? I don't want to be a pain but I want to make sure it was received and I want to make decisions fairly soon regarding apartments and such.

(I'm a summer-starter.)


I sent an email last week in the evening and I got a response the next morning.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 pm
by sayanything
Phonathon Q: the e-mail said to make myself available between 5-9pm. Is that Michigan time or should I assume they mean my time? (pacific) :?:

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:12 pm
by Geoffrey
sayanything wrote:Phonathon Q: the e-mail said to make myself available between 5-9pm. Is that Michigan time or should I assume they mean my time? (pacific) :?:


I'm EST and mine said 5-9pm too so I'd assume Michigan time

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 pm
by edg
Hey admitted students! If any of you are looking for summer housing, a group of us are looking to sublet a couple more bedrooms in our house this summer and we'd love to sublet to future law students (you'd be living with at least one, possibly two law students--free advice and supplements!). Here's the Craigslist ad with the details:

--LinkRemoved--

Feel free to call or PM if interested!

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am
by imjustjoking22
edg wrote:Hey admitted students! If any of you are looking for summer housing, a group of us are looking to sublet a couple more bedrooms in our house this summer and we'd love to sublet to future law students (you'd be living with at least one, possibly two law students--free advice and supplements!). Here's the Craigslist ad with the details:

--LinkRemoved--

Feel free to call or PM if interested!



You guys have a piano???

So sad I already found a sublet. Boo.

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 am
by thelawyler
Campagnolo wrote:I'll be there Wednesday! I'm very excited to visit! Not gonna lie, though: I'm sorta jealous that the Georgetown ASW has a reception at the Supreme Court.


Seriously. Especially with the whole Obamacare thing going on.

How many people at ASW do you think will be TLS regulars? haha

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 am
by Geneva
thelawyler wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:I'll be there Wednesday! I'm very excited to visit! Not gonna lie, though: I'm sorta jealous that the Georgetown ASW has a reception at the Supreme Court.


Seriously. Especially with the whole Obamacare thing going on.

How many people at ASW do you think will be TLS regulars? haha


Re: the SCOTUS reception: not gonna get to hear oral arguments, obvs, but I guess it's cool in theory. The GULC panel a few hours ago was pretty sweet. Hope to see some of you at Mich tmrw/Thurs! Too excited!

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:02 am
by crabcakes
Do summers starters have to do the 8/26-31 orientation? Or do we get that week off?

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:27 am
by thelawschoolproject
Omg...leaving for A2 now...so excited!

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm
by sandwiches5000
Okay.... Got the offer. Considerably less than what I was offered at GULC (by about 50k), but isn't the cost of attending GULC considerably higher? I've looked at the tuition and fees but I'm having a hard time seeing the true cost of attendance. I think it works out to be about 30-40k more than Michigan total, in which case paying the extra 15-20k (in total) more for Mich seems more bearable...?

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 pm
by Kurst
Estimated cost of attendance for 2012-2013 academic year:

Georgetown: $73,500
Michigan (LinkRemoved): $69,950

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 pm
by UnamSanctam
Michigan's tuition is 3k higher than GULC's. Who knew?

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:59 pm
by sandwiches5000
Yeah I just called the schools and got the numbers. Mich will still end up costing me abt 25-30k more total. When I compare the schools though and the enormous total cost, it doesn't seem like much... Ugh. This is hard. I do want to end up in gov but due to my undergrad debt (and law school debt, which will be significant if I attend either school,) I want to try for private/big law for the first few years. In which case, I think mich would be the better choice.