Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

sandwiches5000

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Good to hear that everyone seemed to have a great time at the first asw! I'm going to the second one and I'm pretty pumped. I second the other person who asked what bar we're meeting up at on wednesday...

Also, what hotels are people arriving on Wednesday planning on staying at? I still haven't booked mine... :?

If you just email admissions directly (or call), they can check to see if they still have space for the provided housing. I'm staying in the reserved rooms Wed-Sun. They keep extra rooms available for people arriving early/staying late.

I still need to book a room for Tuesday, though. Suggestions?

Ok! I will check with admissions, thanks.

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

The Duck wrote:
sandiego222 wrote:The concerns about it having an undergrad feel don't resonate with me....

Definitely appeals to me more than a highly-competitive serious atmosphere, but maybe that's just because I'm young

May just be me but I don't really think it has an undergrad feel. Particularly if you don't go to bars on S. Univ. Main street is where the younger professionals tend to go out.

Yeah, outside of St. Patty's Day and going out to Rick's (bar) it didn't seem that way at all. I think you can certainly get that vibe if you want, but I really liked having the best of both worlds. I went to a small private school and enjoyed seeing the campus buzzing with energy.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 pm

I am trying to fill out my need based aid forms. How important is it to have the exact amount of money listed for loan payments, etc? I borrowed money for college from my grandmother and we never formalized the agreement through a bank. i haven't formalized my responses on the admitted students form bc i don't want to screw it up, but apparently we need paper proof. i guess i could simply send in an explanation? also, i don't have parental information bc my parents refuse to answer any financial questions. Anybody dealing with a similar situation?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:10 am

Fortuitous wrote:I am trying to fill out my need based aid forms. How important is it to have the exact amount of money listed for loan payments, etc? I borrowed money for college from my grandmother and we never formalized the agreement through a bank. i haven't formalized my responses on the admitted students form bc i don't want to screw it up, but apparently we need paper proof. i guess i could simply send in an explanation? also, i don't have parental information bc my parents refuse to answer any financial questions. Anybody dealing with a similar situation?

Email the financial aid office; there is no point in neglecting that resource when they are available and very easy to work with. I hope it all gets straightened out for you.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am

Fortuitous wrote:I am trying to fill out my need based aid forms. How important is it to have the exact amount of money listed for loan payments, etc? I borrowed money for college from my grandmother and we never formalized the agreement through a bank. i haven't formalized my responses on the admitted students form bc i don't want to screw it up, but apparently we need paper proof. i guess i could simply send in an explanation? also, i don't have parental information bc my parents refuse to answer any financial questions. Anybody dealing with a similar situation?

About the parental information, I didn't have to fill it out because I'm considered an independent student but there are guidelines that you need to follow to determine whether you need to fill it out or not. I filled out the same form for another school and they require parental information for everyone and my parents gave me their information. Sounds like your parents are not being very helpful, that sucks.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 am

JoeMo wrote:

About the parental information, I didn't have to fill it out because I'm considered an independent student but there are guidelines that you need to follow to determine whether you need to fill it out or not. I filled out the same form for another school and they require parental information for everyone and my parents gave me their information. Sounds like your parents are not being very helpful, that sucks.

I think needaccess is different than the FAFSA.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 am

If your parents just don't want to answer your financial questions, then they can opt to log in themselves and lock that info.

If it's just a case of them not wanting to be helpful, I'd get in touch with FinAid, I'm sure it's not the first time that's happened.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

The Duck wrote:I think needaccess is different than the FAFSA.

I realize this. When I was filling out the need access form there were a few questions you had to answer which determined if you were an independent student or not. Depending on your answers on this section the Parental information section either became available or didn't. For me, it didn't. Like I said, when I filled it out for another school (same need access website) they just require that everyone enter parental information regardless.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm

This is my last gasp attempt: anyone have the time to put together a good overall picture of how the admitted student days went? With whom were they impressed, what disappointed, and whether Ann Arbor is an all right place to live?

I found that plane tickets to Detroit are extremely expensive.

ViennaGraben

Postby ViennaGraben » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Campagnolo wrote:I found that plane tickets to Detroit are extremely expensive.

No kidding... same boat.

jfish

Postby jfish » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Campagnolo wrote:This is my last gasp attempt: anyone have the time to put together a good overall picture of how the admitted student days went? With whom were they impressed, what disappointed, and whether Ann Arbor is an all right place to live?

PMed you!

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

jfish wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:This is my last gasp attempt: anyone have the time to put together a good overall picture of how the admitted student days went? With whom were they impressed, what disappointed, and whether Ann Arbor is an all right place to live?

PMed you!

Why would you pm?!!? We alll want to knooooow.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
jfish wrote:

PMed you!

+100

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:
jfish wrote:

PMed you!

+100

Me toooo.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm

LOL.

I'll sum it up.

------

A2 is great.

Dean Z is amazing.

Undergrads can get annoying, but there's some decent eye candy.

Law students are happy and seem to enjoy their law school existence.

You should come.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:00 pm

JustE wrote:LOL.

I'll sum it up.

------

A2 is great.

Dean Z is amazing.

You should come.

+1 Those are my sentiments as well.

jfish

Postby jfish » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
JustE wrote:LOL.

I'll sum it up.

------

A2 is great.

Dean Z is amazing.

You should come.

+1 Those are my sentiments as well.

Haha, oops, sorry guys. Here it is in all of its elegant prose:

I don't know about an overall picture, but here are my views on your questions:

I was definitely impressed by the faculty. They all seemed brilliant, of course, but also very approachable - something that was stressed many times by the students and the professors themselves. I regret that I didn't try to connect with my professors in undergrad until my last year, so it's important to me that the faculty are able and willing to meet outside the classroom (one of the two is sometimes lost in a big city). Prof Primus' class was a little intimidating, but I don't think I would feel embarrassed if I didn't know the answer, because she tries to guide you along, and seems to genuinely care if you understand the material.

I didn't expect the honest discussions about the job market and the economy. Some of the admitted students asked some candid questions at the faculty and alumni panels, and I was both impressed with their frankness, as well as with the frankness of the answers. People at Michigan aren't denying that the markets have changed, that law school is expensive, and that it's not as easy to find jobs - which I really respect.

And I know everyone says this, but this collegiality thing is for real. Everyone seemed to be having a great time at the auction, cheering each other on in their bids. It's like a big, happy love triangle between the students and the faculty - everyone likes each other! I kind of felt like I was coming into summer camp for the first time, where everyone knows each other. I really liked every single other admitted student that I met. I don't know how the adcomms can predict how we'll interact and get along from a few essays, recommendations, and a resume, but they do a good job assembling the class.

I know it's been discussed before, but the one thing that I didn't love was the undergrad party scene. Frats are literally across the street, and they were up and at it - on the lawn, stereos blaring, girls pulling up, etc. - at 9AM at least. People have said it doesn't happen often, and yeah, it was like 75º on St. Patrick's Day weekend, but at the very least, it does make me a little nervous to live in the apartments reserved for the law school. I actually went to visit one after all the events were over, and there were drunk undergrad girls yelling at their friend to let them in. They won't be there next year, of course, but this is what we're dealing with.

Ann Arbor seems amazing! I went to school in a smaller college town, and was a little hesitant to get back to that after living in a city for a few years, but I think it'll be fine. First, I love football, and I love college sports. Second, there's a lot to do and eat, and my undergrad cousin specifically told me that only "older" students hang out in a certain part of the town, so if you want to avoid undergrads, it's possible haha. Last, and this is more personal for me, I think I'll probably be less distracted in a college town than in a big city - but this is just speculation.

Okay so full disclosure - I applied and was accepted ED, but went to Preview Weekend anyway to get a head-start meeting people. And honestly, everything I saw just reinforced why I chose Michigan. If I weren't already committed, I would make an effort to visit every school, because even though it confirmed what I'd read or heard, I felt like I came out of it with a deeper feel for the school. When I applied ED to Michigan, I was pretty sure I knew everything about it, but now I feel like I really understand what people were talking about when they said "collegiality," for example.

Let me know if you have more questions! I hope this helps, and I hope you get the opportunity to visit :)

TL;DR - What JustE said.

Smushface

Postby Smushface » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:28 pm

I did a little list on the way back from ASW so I can quickly share my opinion. For the sake of balance, I'm going to alternate 1 pro and 1 con. Warning: if you like well written posts and proper grammar, avert your eyes! Think of it a stream of consciousness if it makes you feel better.

1a. Pro: The student body was about as cool as I could expect of a law school. Not one person I met (and I looked) said they disliked Michigan or regretted their decision. Also, a good % of the people I met who were 0Ls were pretty good company. Good range of people in terms of age too. And I say this in a very non-elitist jerk kind of way.

1b. Con: Had a very undergrad feel, especially with frats right across the street of the law school. People say it's not that big of a deal, but speaking as someone who was in a frat, any time the weather is nice, the bros are gonna be blasting music across the street with very little consideration of classes going on across the street. Also, dorms and college kids everywhere.

2a. Pro: Faculty was great and approachable. I talked to 5 or so different faculty during my time there and they all had good advice and were willing to casually chat about anything. It was pretty awesome. (edited in: also faculty were down to hang out at student events)

2b. Con: Location. Ann Arbor itself is a good town, but it still is a college town in the midwest with no major city nearby (detroit doesn't count). If you're used to good ethnic food (like if you're from nyc or cali) there's none to be found. This also means you're probably going to need to leave over the summer for jobs, which usually means a sublet in a college town where 40,000 people are looking to offload their apartment aka you're probably going to be paying rent at 2 places. Also, people say you don't need a car, but every school, be it a college or a grad program, says that. Sure, you might not NEED a car, but it certainly would be useful.

3a. Pro: I was really impressed by their dedicated clerkship faculty (I forgot the professor's name, but she was a former SCOTUS clerk) and I hear from people that she's awesome and willing to help. I haven't really heard about this at any other school and it was pretty impressive.

3b. Con: I think clinics / externships were pretty lacking because again, it is Ann Arbor and there's not a lot you can do in the town. Yes, there are opportunities but it's definitely not as robust as schools in bigger cities.

4a: Ann Arbor. Yes, it is both a pro and a con. There's cheap housing, great places to hang out, beautiful green areas, a pretty good bus system, and some cool outdoorsy things to do pretty close. I personally like being able to see the sky and I hear there's 4 legit seasons. Winter doesn't seem that bad. I hear they only really get 1-2 inches of snow at a time which is 100% bearable. And over this last ASW, the weather was in the 70s, the sun was shining, and life was good.

4b: Con: 1L summer is going to be rough. They don't guarantee a stipend for public interest work your 1L summer, so if you don't get find something paid, there's a 50% chance you don't get any sort of stipend from the school. This is in pretty stark contrast to UM's peer schools. I should say that 3L's were dropping some serious cash at the faculty auction (like $1000 a pop) at the PI fundraisers so that their classmates could get paid, but still. Only 50% of 1Ls doing unpaid work get a stipend (factor in that you prob will be paying 2 rents, you could be spending anywhere between 5-10k this summer with no income).

Neutral points:
-South Hall is brand new and awesome, Hitchens is old and pretty dated but still nice. The library is cool as shit though, but I can imagine it must get pretty tiring having people come in for tours and taking pictures.
-I went to the main gym (CCRB) and I thought it was pretty meh.
-Bars for the most part were fun and cheap. The first bar I went to had a pretty tasty 2$ micro (it was some sort of nutty brown ale if you care) and it's nice to be fairly "loose" with your cash and still end up with a sub-20$ bar tab.
-It kind of sucks that we wont be able to live in the Lawyers Club.

Overview: I think most people are legitimately happy at Michigan. Ann Arbor does feel like a big state school college town, and even though the law school is a bit insulated, a lot of the college feel inevitably leaks in. It's not close to a primary market so get used to leaving for the summers and not having a lot of the opportunities you would have if you went to school in a city. Overall, I really liked Michigan Law and am seriously considering attending next year. The preview weekend they had set up for us was really informative, fun, and allows you to get a good feel for the school. I highly recommend it.

Considerations I left out: Quality of education, faculty, classes, prestige etc. Chances are if you're debating between Michigan and somewhere else, you're debating between schools that are all pretty good. Also, cost of attendance since that info is either generalized (68k is the estimate for everyone) or highly individualized (scholarships).
Last edited by Smushface on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks everyone! Especially Smush! Pros & cons were helpful :D.

Location in Ann Arbor and a lack of guaranteed summer funding are really pushing me away.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

RE ethnic food, you didn't explore enough. A2 has been on the food network several times for its restaurants including it's ethnic food. Hell we have a world class Cuban restaurant that serves basically only fritz banditos. There's a little of everything and it's pretty authentic. Sure, it's not NYC but for its size I doubt you beat it anywhere else (other than NYC/LA)

RE clinics, I do wish we had more but we actually have a decent mix. And, you can do clinics 2L...Michigan is one of only two states that let you do that. So you'd probably have a larger opportunity here anyhow.

A2 isn't a bad town...so I'm not sure what everyone is seeing. You were on the undergrad side of A2. If you go over towards Main it's all younger professionals. If you live a little further out, thee are practically no undergrads. The frats a pain a few times a year but someone eventually goes over and shuts them up. Is usually only a problem in April....it's just been way warmer than normal so they were out. They don't let them get away with it at all during finals. If you didn't visit, do not let these descriptions turn you off. It's really not bad in fact most people love it. It's generally seen as one of our positives. You're all also way overestimating how much you'll be out and about to be bothered by them.

Also, few schools have guaranteed summer funding. It's really not the big of a deal. People all get by one way or another. I'm not sure where the 50% number came from. The reason that's not higher is because a lot of people do judicial internships which don't qualify. I don't know of anyone that did something qualifying that didn't get funding. (There may be some but I don't know of them.)

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Yea CCRB was bad, and I'm really not one to judge too negatively. Usually I can put up with a lot of shit if they at least have nice machines. CCRB has a layout that made no sense to me - tons of hallways and closed off areas, as opposed to an open feel, the building itself was really old, too. I also found it kind of weird that there was like a separate "room" for treadmills, ellipticals, stair machines, and rowing machines. The machines were also not updated. I'll definitely be getting a membership for the b-school gym. Not that something like that would really influence someone's decision, but still. :|

Smushface

Postby Smushface » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm

The Duck wrote:RE ethnic food, you didn't explore enough. A2 has been on the food network several times for its restaurants including it's ethnic food. Hell we have a world class Cuban restaurant that serves basically only fritz banditos. There's a little of everything and it's pretty authentic. Sure, it's not NYC but for its size I doubt you beat it anywhere else (other than NYC/LA)

RE clinics, I do wish we had more but we actually have a decent mix. And, you can do clinics 2L...Michigan is one of only two states that let you do that. So you'd probably have a larger opportunity here anyhow.

A2 isn't a bad town...so I'm not sure what everyone is seeing. You were on the undergrad side of A2. If you go over towards Main it's all younger professionals. If you live a little further out, thee are practically no undergrads. The frats a pain a few times a year but someone eventually goes over and shuts them up. Is usually only a problem in April....it's just been way warmer than normal so they were out. They don't let them get away with it at all during finals. If you didn't visit, do not let these descriptions turn you off. It's really not bad in fact most people love it. It's generally seen as one of our positives. You're all also way overestimating how much you'll be out and about to be bothered by them.

Also, few schools have guaranteed summer funding. It's really not the big of a deal. People all get by one way or another. I'm not sure where the 50% number came from. The reason that's not higher is because a lot of people do judicial internships which don't qualify. I don't know of anyone that did something qualifying that didn't get funding. (There may be some but I don't know of them.)

Yea, I was only there for 3 days and like I said, I'm still seriously considering attending and am a huge fan of Michigan.

After rereading my post, I do come off as pretty negative, but to be fair, people in this thread generally do gloss over any "bad" aspect of Michigan. I'm definitely not the most informed opinion around, but I did try to be as honest and unbiased as possible.

No law school is perfect. That includes Michigan.

ASIC

Postby ASIC » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Hey guys! I'm currently a 1L here at MLaw. Long story short, I am having 1 room available for summer sublet or during the school year, and below please find the details
This is a spacious 2br/2ba apartment (1200 sq.ft) located at Lake Village Apartment Complex. I’m subleasing the whole apartment except for the master bedroom during the summer (May to Aug). After August, you can continue leasing the bedroom and share the living room and kitchen. You will have your own full bathroom.
The place is tastefully furnished. There are laundry machine, dryer, and AC within the unit. The living room is spacious and the kitchen is equipped with a dishwasher, microwave, electronic stove, and refrigerator. There is a balcony that you can enjoy the beautiful sunshine and fresh air during the warmer months. Your bedroom is fully furnished with a large closet.
The complex is one of Ann Arbor’s newest apartment communities with 24 hour fitness room and a nice pool. You will have unlimited free parking space, and you’ll be close to Busch’s (just across the street), UM central campus (7min driving), Briarwood Mall (2min driving), downtown (8min) and major transportation (bus #6, 7, 36). Bus 36 is especially convenient as it is essentially door to door from the complex to Student Union/Law school with every 9 min. In addition, I am very likely to drive to law school every day so you can carpool with me. For more information about the complex, please refer to the following link: --LinkRemoved--
Price: $495/month plus one half of utility and cable.
Please PM if you are interested, and I have some room pic as well.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 pm

defintely paying for the b-school gym

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 pm

I've never been to the CCRB, but the IM building is a pretty nice gym and actually closer to the law school, I think.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”