Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

46nyc

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby 46nyc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I saw over 20 one bedroom apts this week, some disgusting and some amazing! Anyone who wants info/reviews just pm me!

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 pm

46nyc wrote:I saw over 20 one bedroom apts this week, some disgusting and some amazing! Anyone who wants info/reviews just pm me!

What were some of the good ones? I'm looking for a 1bedroom as well!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:According to the TLS profile on Michigan about 1/3 of the class of 2008 was 25+. I wonder if that'll be true for our class. I'll be in the 25+ band and I am slightly curious about this.

ETA: I'll be 26.

29 for me.

RNJDNO1

Postby RNJDNO1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:54 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:ScrabbleChamp, do you think it's fair to assume that a quite a few of those 25+ will have masters degrees? I'll feel slightly unaccomplished if that's the case.

I'm a 2L, I'm 29, and I worked for 5 years in un-prestigious advertising. Relax.
Yes, there will be people at Michigan who are super accomplished; but you can't let yourself be intimated by it.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:ScrabbleChamp, do you think it's fair to assume that a quite a few of those 25+ will have masters degrees? I'll feel slightly unaccomplished if that's the case.

The stats of incoming students possessing a graduate degree is available on the website. It's a big percentage but by no means a majority. I have a masters and most people probably don't even know.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I'll be older than 25, no masters. Please keep in mind that not all masters are created equally, and just because you have another degree does not make a person smarter or give them a magical ability to outwork you in class. C'mon! It's just that they decided to go back to school before you.

(Not to detract from those who have a masters degree, but I think you'll agree)

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Campagnolo wrote:I'll be older than 25, no masters. Please keep in mind that not all masters are created equally, and just because you have another degree does not make a person smarter or give them a magical ability to outwork you in class. C'mon! It's just that they decided to go back to school before you.

(Not to detract from those who have a masters degree, but I think you'll agree)

I agree...my masters isn't worth the paper its printed on. I didn't pay for it so...yay tuition assistance!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 pm

No masters, but I do have pretty significant manager/director experience in a Fortune 100 company. But, we all got into Michigan for a reason, so I wouldn't be too worried about your worth vs others. :-)

swoozie

Postby swoozie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 pm

just checking in quickly, but agreeing with the poster who said this ASW is good. I've only been to one other so far (georgetown's) and Mich's is way better.

Everyone I've met is so, so nice, and it's so easy to just talk to people.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 am

swoozie wrote:just checking in quickly, but agreeing with the poster who said this ASW is good. I've only been to one other so far (georgetown's) and Mich's is way better.

Everyone I've met is so, so nice, and it's so easy to just talk to people.

+9

I'll be 26 btw. You're in good company.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 am

I'm 28 but will be 29 like 2 weeks before classes start. No masters degree either but I agree with the person that said not all masters are created equal.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:16 am

JoeMo wrote:I'm 28 but will be 29 like 2 weeks before classes start. No masters degree either but I agree with the person that said not all masters are created equal.

We've got a 40 year old in the class of 2014. We tease him about his age some (he had white hair in his beard), but he fits in really well. It really isn't a problem.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 am

I will say that Ann Arbor can be somewhat rough socially on older students who are single (especially if you're female). If you're a guy or you're in a relationship/married, you should be okay. Also, keep in mind that by older, I mean late 20's/early 30's... not 25/26.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:41 am

ASW updates? Who's going to take on the responsibility? We could ask OP, but I don't want to be presumptuous and put the cart before the horse here.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Campagnolo wrote:ASW updates? Who's going to take on the responsibility? We could ask OP, but I don't want to be presumptuous and put the cart before the horse here.

ASW is officially over! Unfortunately I'm a terrible nicotine head so I passed on the dean z run. But all in all a very nice time. Most informative events for me were the live class and career services q&a with the alumni q&a a close third. My future classmates seem accomplished and intelligent but while staying really grounded and like people you'd want to spend time with outside of the classroom, too. If I weren't leaving the country in a couple of weeks, I love to come back and do it again. I remember professor mingling was my favorite part of the admitted students events I did last year, and that was the bit that was moved to the sweaty, noisy basement because of the tornado.

I know that they're on show this weekend as salesmen, but i can't tell you how calming it was to hear a non-TLS perspective.

legalstuff

Postby legalstuff » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Thought I'd repost. I'm looking to sublet my apartment this summer, with flexible dates, from the beginning of May through the end of August. It's a nice-sized 1BR apartment, with a full kitchen, bathroom, and lots of closet space. Plus, it's within a 5-minute walk to the law school. AND all utilities (electricity/gas/water) are included! Plus, it's all set up with wireless, which I split with the apartment above me--so it comes out to $21/month.

I'm asking for $700/month but this is flexible. Also, if you need parking, I know my landlord pro-rates/charges less for parking in the summer.

PM me if you're interested or would like to see photos. If you're around for the 2nd ASW, i'd be happy to give you a tour!

crooked

Postby crooked » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 pm

ASW was absolutely lovely. 70+ degrees weather helped; tornado did not. Rushing to the airport but I'll post a recap when I can.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 pm

ASW in review/Things I have learned so far:

Dean Z is even more awesome in real life.

Michigan Professors are amazing.

I have never seen such happy law students. Everyone is really down to earth and welcoming, but most of all they seem really happy to be here.

The law quad is absolutely breathtaking. I could get used to being here.

Basically: All the good things you read online are true, but more so. My highlight was the mock class, I have never been such an attentive student. This is going to be a tough one to top.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Be sure to include any negatives for the weekend if there were any.

Did anyone ask about the employment figures? I'm sure someone did, and I'm curious to hear how they addressed the situation (is it spin, or plausible?).

Thank you to those who have shared their experiences so far.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Be sure to include any negatives for the weekend if there were any.

Did anyone ask about the employment figures? I'm sure someone did, and I'm curious to hear how they addressed the situation (is it spin, or plausible?).

Thank you to those who have shared their experiences so far.

Here is how Admissions explained it to the Preview volunteers when asked...

Under US News new calculation, dual degree students that finish their JD first are now counted as unemployed. Next to Harvard, we have the second highest percentage of these students due to the order many of our dual degree studens pursue degrees....to the order of 3%. While not reported yet, for the Class of 2011, the #s will be 94.9% at 9 months. Factoring in the 3%, that's ~98%. I have no idea what the breakdown is for each area. From what I know, 2010s numbers suck because students all targeted Chicago and it got saturated (OCS claims they didn't suggest this but some students disagree).

As for the ranking drop:
Our raw score remained the same as last year. Our drop is accounted for by the employment numbers and the student to faculty ratio (due to the # of profs on leave last Fall semester when they count). Our reputation scores actually improved and is higher than our peers. This figure is what they say gives your degree actual value.mDean Z said to take cold comfort in that our #s are 100% accurate. She personally categorized each and every student.

Also....when I talked to employers during OCi most didn't even know where we were ranked. It's just not an issue at that level of granularity.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them honestly and frankly...
Last edited by The Duck on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah, I was actually pretty reassured about the employment stats, since I've heard a lot of TLS speculation. But in addition to the Michigan take/explanation every single 3L I spoke to has a job.

It sounds like the guaranteed 2L fellowship makes it a lot easier for students to get the summer jobs they want.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Yeah, I was actually pretty reassured about the employment stats, since I've heard a lot of TLS speculation. But in addition to the Michigan take/explanation every single 3L I spoke to has a job.

It sounds like the guaranteed 2L fellowship makes it a lot easier for students to get the summer jobs they want.

what percentage of michigan graduates of the class of 2011 are employed by the school? 10% of uva's class of 2010 was employed by their alma mater after graduating. thus far, i've been unable to find the info for mich...

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Geneva wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:Yeah, I was actually pretty reassured about the employment stats, since I've heard a lot of TLS speculation. But in addition to the Michigan take/explanation every single 3L I spoke to has a job.

what percentage of michigan graduates of the class of 2011 are employed by the school? 10% of uva's class of 2010 was employed by their alma mater after graduating. thus far, i've been unable to find the info for mich...

As far as I know, we don't employ or I've never heard of it. I have no idea what they'd be doing. Definitely nothing that involves interacting with students.
Last edited by The Duck on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm

The Duck wrote:
Geneva wrote:

As far as I know, we don't employ. In fact, I think Dean Z decried this practice as misleading.

i hope that is the case! a december 2011 mich grad that went to my undergrad told me that ITE most top law schools, including mich, do employ

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”