Michigan Law Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

chickenalfredo

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Postby chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 pm

JustE wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:What hotel are they putting us in? I'm registered for the second weekend but can't find it anywhere on the website...

The admissions office will email you with a confirmation that includes all hotel information. We (I think all first ASWers who requested housing) got our confirmations last Wednesday.

Sooo.... Looks like they're putting me up here... http://www.campusinn.com/

#winning

:lol: This trip is gonna kick major ass... Can't wait!!!

same here. Im in the campus inn too.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

All,

It has come to my attention that somehow Admissions believes I misrepresented their policy on transferring people between Summer/Fall start and it was taken as university policy (or the person so asserted to them on the phone). They didn't explain when this happened (I contacted them about ASW), but after an extensive search of my post history and PMs, I can't find any advice I gave other than to contact Admissions with your story. So, I'm not sure where this came from. I don't know if someone else's post was misattributed to me, someone contacted Admissions with animus, or someone purposely mischaracterized my post in order to benefit themselves in their attempt to switch.

Fortunately, Admissions was gracious in their e-mail. After reiterating they weren't trying to admonish or silence me, they even offered to brief me on all of their policies in person now or answer any questions I had as they came up. However, I'm not taking them up on it. I'm not wasting my time doing your due diligence because you're too lazy/scared to call. If you're relying on TLS as a source of official policy, you're an idiot. If you purposely threw me under the bus in order to benefit yourself, you're a snake and don't belong here. Whoever you are, here is your first law school lesson: Rely only on authoritative sources.

I wouldn't say I've been "outed" per se as Admissions knew who I was from when I clarified policies with them during last year's fiascos. Still, I'm not at all happy that my reputation with them has been besmirched. I'm always careful to answer in general terms, provide only concrete examples I personally know of, and advise communication directly with Admissions. When I have commented on other policies, I cleared them first with them. I've never purported to speak for the University, except when authorized (and disclosed).

So, I'm out. I'll no longer be answering any questions (here or by PM) that involve dealing with the university. I'm happy to talk about my experiences (and I'll be at the dinners both ASWs for this purpose) but I'll no longer be actively monitoring any of the Michigan threads. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your visits.

TL,DR: Life's too short. Good luck.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:11 pm

To: Whoever "outed" Blowhard

Way to go, Jackass. Blowhard has been very helpful with a lot of issues, both in the different threads and via PM, and doing something that causes him to leave the threads is just stupid. Not only did you possibly screw yourself (it's very possible you will be found out), you ruined a great resource for the rest of us.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:49 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:To: Whoever "outed" Blowhard

Way to go, Jackass. Blowhard has been very helpful with a lot of issues, both in the different threads and via PM, and doing something that causes him to leave the threads is just stupid. Not only did you possibly screw yourself (it's very possible you will be found out), you ruined a great resource for the rest of us.

Credited. Blowhard is one of very few Michigan students that is always available to answer questions, usually pretty candidly.

I wonder if Keg or Straw will stop posting now too for fear of being outed.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 pm

JoeMo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:To: Whoever "outed" Blowhard

Credited. Blowhard is one of very few Michigan students that is always available to answer questions, usually pretty candidly.

I wonder if Keg or Straw will stop posting now too for fear of being outed.

Nope, I'm still here.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 pm

TBF, I think that Blowhard's tar outs him. The rest of his post, particularly the part about getting information from authoritative sources, is credited. I'm sorry you weren't told the exact situation they were referring to, and I know that'd really bug me. I'd be a lot less poised in your position. Don't let it get to you, especially from people who throw others under the bus.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:TBF, I think that Blowhard's tar outs him. The rest of his post, particularly the part about getting information from authoritative sources, is credited. I'm sorry you weren't told the exact situation they were referring to, and I know that'd really bug me. I'd be a lot less poised in your position. Don't let it get to you, especially from people who throw others under the bus.

He did say it wasn't him being outed that angered him but someone taking what he said on here and going to the admissions office at the University as if he was divulging policy all over TLS.

chickenalfredo

Postby chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm

so are most people taking the michigan flyer to get to campus/their hotel?

Edit: I fly into detroit around 11am. Anyone interested in possibly splitting a cab?
Last edited by chickenalfredo on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 pm

The Campus Inn does have free parking right?

Also I need to pay for that crap now because I never carry checks on me.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm

chickenalfredo wrote:so are most people taking the michigan flyer to get to campus/their hotel?

Edit: I fly into detroit around 11am. Anyone interested in possibly splitting a cab?

If you end up taking the Flyer and are planning on taking the AATA bus to campus, make sure to bring cash. It's $1.50 to ride each way. The blue Michigan buses are free, but don't pick up where the Flyer drops off.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:The Campus Inn does have free parking right?

Also I need to pay for that crap now because I never carry checks on me.

The admissions office told me both hotels (Campus Inn and Belltower) have free parking.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 pm

I feel sad about the rankings and angry at myself for feeling sad about them.

kl10qm

Postby kl10qm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I feel sad about the rankings and angry at myself for feeling sad about them.

+1

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:38 pm

kl10qm wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:I feel sad about the rankings and angry at myself for feeling sad about them.

+1

The rankings are a joke... Michigan has higher reputation scores than the three schools ranked ahead of it.

kl10qm

Postby kl10qm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
kl10qm wrote:

+1

The rankings are a joke... Michigan has higher reputation scores than the three schools ranked ahead of it.

Do we know what the medians etc. are? Anyone have access?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 pm

I believe these medians are accurate:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163250

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
kl10qm wrote:

+1

Yea but I'd be lying if I said that this coupled with the shaky employment stats that have been coming out for Mich all year don't make me nervous.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 pm

trololol

Dear Unam,

Happy birthday! Please accept our gift of dropping Michigan to the #10 spot in our rankings.

Sincerely,

USNWR

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:52 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
kl10qm wrote:

+1

Yea but I'd be lying if I said that this coupled with the shaky employment stats that have been coming out for Mich all year don't make me nervous.

meh... I think it's not really that serious. It was really only a switch of one place. Berkeley UVA and Penn tied so the next open space was 10.

However, if the employment numbers that just came out are making you queasy then I say e-mail Dean Z and tell her to write a blog post about why she thinks the numbers are dropping. See if she can help you and the rest of us understand what's going on.

I still love Michigan, I think it's going to be a great experience and I'm still ready for May to be here.

Edit: further proven by the fact that the difference in raw points is 1 point.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 pm

JoeMo wrote:meh... I think it's not really that serious. It was really only a switch of one place. Berkeley UVA and Penn tied so the next open space was 10.

However, if the employment numbers that just came out are making you queasy then I say e-mail Dean Z and tell her to write a blog post about why she thinks the numbers are dropping. See if she can help you and the rest of us understand what's going on.

I still love Michigan, I think it's going to be a great experience and I'm still ready for May to be here.

Edit: further proven by the fact that the difference in raw points is 1 point.

I've heard explanations for it all. Most of it does make sense when I think about it rationally and hear the excuses. I think a lot of people have these concerns - in fact, I know at least some of our future classmates have discussed them at length - and there's nothing wrong with voicing them. Going to any law school right now without at least a little bit of fear that you could end up unemployed or under-employed is a bit unwise. I don't think a Dean Z blog post could change that.

Are the rankings a serious deal? No, probably not. Are worries about employment stats serious? Absolutely, for me at least. I don't necessarily want that to be belittled. I don't have savings, my parents don't have savings, my future husband doesn't have savings or any job prospects at the moment, and if I come out of this un- or under-employed, it's a huge deal for me. I really only posted that in here for other people for whom it may be a big deal to see employment stats that aren't 100% reassuring or to see a drop in rankings for the institution that we're paying a lot of money for. I didn't post it to be convinced not to worry, because that's just never going to happen heh.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Des... I think you're taking what I said the wrong way.

You posted about the drop in rankings and I said it's really not a big deal because it's really just a 1 point drop resulting in a 1 place drop. That's the reality of it. Do you think the Dean at Harvard is worried about being #3 instead of #2?

As for the employment prospects, those concerns are obviously at the forefront of everyone's mind. Which is why I said, ask Dean Z. We've all heard the OCS gave wrong information telling everyone to bid on Chicago excuse but I'm sure if you ask her perhaps she can affirm or deny that. Michigan seems to be a very forthcoming school and I'm sure if you want to get to the bottom of why the employment numbers have changed, you can get them to give you the information. That's if Dean Z isn't writing up a blog post within the next couple of days anyway to deal with the panic of everyone over the rankings.

The last thing I've been keeping in mind is that we don't know what's going to happen to the market in three years. It could rise or it could bottom out even more and we could all be jobless but that's a reality we're going to have to face.

All that to say, don't worry buddy, I'm sure you'll do great in law school and in 4 years you'll be looking back at your 0L self remembering that day you had a minor panic because of the USNWR rankings and laugh.

Postby 83947368 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:RE: the Michigan is now shaky debates:

When ever I talk to lawyers about how much people debate the value of NMVPBDNGC in terms of employment prospects, they giggle.

Maybe preaching to the choir a little bit in here, but I mean all of 6-14, not just Michigan.

:D

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am

I gots no merit aid. Looks like I'm paying sticky.

jfish

Postby jfish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 am

Soo... What are people going to pack/wear for Preview Weekend? Is it really going to be 70º??

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”