Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Gold

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Killingly wrote:Just completed the financial aid form thing on the admitted student's website. It says I'm not eligible for grant assistance. Does this mean I'll be receiving nothing from Michigan at all?
What form? The FAFSA? You're never eligible for Pell grants because it's a grad program.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:05 pm

blowhard wrote:
Killingly wrote:Just completed the financial aid form thing on the admitted student's website. It says I'm not eligible for grant assistance. Does this mean I'll be receiving nothing from Michigan at all?
What form? The FAFSA? You're never eligible for Pell grants because it's a grad program.
It's on the admitted student's website. You fill it out and they tell you instantly if you're eligible. Click Mail & Money and the link should be on the left.

It's Michigan's personal form. Not the FAFSA.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Killingly wrote:
blowhard wrote:
It's on the admitted student's website. You fill it out and they tell you instantly if you're eligible. Click Mail & Money and the link should be on the left.
I'm a 2L. Just trying to figure out what form you're looking at. Is it to tell you if you need to file needaccess?

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:07 pm

blowhard wrote:
Killingly wrote:
blowhard wrote:
I'm a 2L. Just trying to figure out what form you're looking at. Is it to tell you if you need to file needaccess?
Not entirely sure, but I think so. Something like that.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Killingly wrote: Not entirely sure, but I think so. Something like that.
Well, it has nothing to do with merit scholarships. Those are automatic. Very few people get need-based aid so you likely don't qualify.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm

blowhard wrote:
Well, it has nothing to do with merit scholarships. Those are automatic. Very few people get need-based aid so you likely don't qualify.
does income of ur 'rents count if u r a couple years out of school?

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
Didn't get merit, but had my hopes up for need-based. Oh well.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Geneva wrote:
blowhard wrote:
does income of ur 'rents count if u r a couple years out of school?
Probably. Otherwise, everyone would qualify. Most people are sitting on a ton of student debt, will be horrible insolvent throughout law school, and won't work during.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Needaccess didn't make me fill out parental information. Dunno if that's Mich specific, since I have only been independent for a year tax-wise and I'm still fairly young, or if it's because needaccess decided that I was appropriately cut off from ma & pa since I'm tying the knot this year.

The thing they are talking about is a short survey on the mail & money section called "Financial Aid Application" that is Mich-specific and asks you a few questions - I don't remember them all, but like how much money is in your checking account sort of thing. Things that needaccess asked a hundred times ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Imogene

New

Post by Imogene » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 pm

I have a related question about this. I should have done it earlier and called, and I will probably call on Monday anyway, but on the survey thing, where it asks if you qualified for Pell grants during undergrad, what should I answer? I qualified for Pell grants during my sophomore year due to special circumstances the year before, but I didn't qualify the rest of the time I was in undergrad. Also, is it just me, or do they not ask about your income? Do they just figure that it is irrelevant since you won't be making anything during school?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

how does the darrow schol process work?

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 am

Michigan has been the Santorum of my school list (no offense to passionate haters of the Man In Vest): initially struck down as implausible, particularly by my wife who hates the cold, yet becoming surprisingly more viable each day that passes. As of today (surprising merit aid), it's the front runner for me and, much to my amazement, my wife. I think that after contemplating taking out loans to afford 2k in rent in NYC for a bedbug infested closet, Ann Arbor looks like Eden to my lady love.

But I'd really like to know, from people more "in the know" than I, what the Michigan job market is like these days. My wife's got a whee bit of experience (~2.5 years of "real" work) and will need to bring home the bacon while I enjoy the luxurious Quad. Are there generic office jobs (sales/marketing/admin) in Ann Arbor, or is the economy in AA dominated by the University and college town life? How about the west suburbs of Detroit? How plausible is a commute into an Area of Bountiful Jobs for a commute-weary lady? And where is said Area (as in, where, outside of the city itself, are jobs concentrated in Metro Detroit)?

I greatly appreciate any response, and hope to meet you all in beautiful Michigan.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:19 am

how does mich decide who starts in summer vs fall for ppl that apply 2 both terms? 0 aid awarded to me atm-hoping that will change. maybe i shld lsat retake in june

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

random question: did other people have the "very" underlined on their acceptance letters? for "very pleased to offer you..."?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Geneva wrote:random question: did other people have the "very" underlined on their acceptance letters? for "very pleased to offer you..."?
LOL. Damn... so I'm not a special snowflake?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:33 pm

ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Michigan has been the Santorum of my school list (no offense to passionate haters of the Man In Vest): initially struck down as implausible, particularly by my wife who hates the cold, yet becoming surprisingly more viable each day that passes. As of today (surprising merit aid), it's the front runner for me and, much to my amazement, my wife. I think that after contemplating taking out loans to afford 2k in rent in NYC for a bedbug infested closet, Ann Arbor looks like Eden to my lady love.

But I'd really like to know, from people more "in the know" than I, what the Michigan job market is like these days. My wife's got a whee bit of experience (~2.5 years of "real" work) and will need to bring home the bacon while I enjoy the luxurious Quad. Are there generic office jobs (sales/marketing/admin) in Ann Arbor, or is the economy in AA dominated by the University and college town life? How about the west suburbs of Detroit? How plausible is a commute into an Area of Bountiful Jobs for a commute-weary lady? And where is said Area (as in, where, outside of the city itself, are jobs concentrated in Metro Detroit)?

I greatly appreciate any response, and hope to meet you all in beautiful Michigan.
My husband is on the same boat. It seems like the majority of what he runs across in A2 are University jobs. But he's looking at probably working in Detroit, where there is more variety . Of course, he'd love to work for the University because he doesn't like commuting but we'll see how it all works out.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Imogene wrote:I have a related question about this. I should have done it earlier and called, and I will probably call on Monday anyway, but on the survey thing, where it asks if you qualified for Pell grants during undergrad, what should I answer? I qualified for Pell grants during my sophomore year due to special circumstances the year before, but I didn't qualify the rest of the time I was in undergrad. Also, is it just me, or do they not ask about your income? Do they just figure that it is irrelevant since you won't be making anything during school?
I put that I did even though I only qualified one year as well. Also, that form is only a preliminary questionnaire. If it determines that you "might" qualify based on your answers then you have to fill out a fairly large application where you have to disclose all the stuff you think you will and then some. Filling out that form costs $28.00 and that's how need based aid is really determined. It would be lovely if it were based on the short questionnaire.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 am

Hey fellow summer starters! I couldn't find our summer schedule, but here's our fall schedule:

510 Civil Procedure

10001 Section 1 Professor Friedman,Richard D
4 TTh/W 2:35-3:50 / 2:55-4:10 0225 LSSH ABCD, 2, 41

540 Intro to Constitutional Law

10008 Section 1 Professor Larsen,Joan L
4 MWTh 10:20-11:35 132 HUTCH AB, 2

10009 Section 2 Professor Bagenstos,Samuel R
4 MWTh 10:20-11:35 138 HUTCH CD,

591 Legal Practice II

10041 Section 1 Professor Frost,Philip M
2 TTh 1:30-2:25 116 HUTCH A, 1

10042 Section 2 Professor Seymour,Thomas H
2 TTh 1:30-2:25 1025 LSSH B, 1

10043 Section 3 Professor Osbeck,Mark K
2 WF 1:30-2:25 S106 LLIB C, 1

10044 Section 4 Professor Cernak,Margaret A
2 MW 1:30-2:25 116 HUTCH D, 1

560 Property

10010 Section 1 Professor Krier,James E
4 WThF 8:45-10:00 250 HUTCH ABCD, 2

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 am

JustE wrote:
Geneva wrote:random question: did other people have the "very" underlined on their acceptance letters? for "very pleased to offer you..."?
LOL. Damn... so I'm not a special snowflake?
hahaha it depends...what did ur msg at the bottom say?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:22 am

Lady in Red wrote:Hey fellow summer starters! I couldn't find our summer schedule, but here's our fall schedule:
Nice, thanks! Where did you find this? Also, is there a way we can find out what section we're in?

lawguy2015

New

Post by lawguy2015 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 am

BUMP!! of this post from a while ago... (I also already PM'ed Genki who had the same request but he has yet to contact me back so I'm still looking just in case he got someone already...)

"Anyone wanting to go to the March 15th preview weekend and who is currently on the waitlist for hotel. I found a double at http://www.lamppostinn.com/ for $56 a night. Would anyone want to share the double, that way it would come down to about $28/ night which is almost the same as the hotel subsidized by Michigan for preview. Alternatively, if you know/find something better, I am sure I can cancel my reservation and go with your hotel. We could also split transpo costs to and from the hotel from the university (I think it's like 2 miles away) PM me if any of you are interested for more details!"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:22 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:Hey fellow summer starters! I couldn't find our summer schedule, but here's our fall schedule:
Nice, thanks! Where did you find this? Also, is there a way we can find out what section we're in?
keg411 posted this on the Mich taking questions thread:

"You have to login first with your ID to access it.
--LinkRemoved-- ... tions.aspx

All of the Fall 2012 classes are up and a lot of the Winter 2013 schedule is up."

As for sections, I don't know if they've been assigned yet. I just know that summer starters are always ABCD. One of the sections (IJKL, I think?) is taking a class from J.J. White, so keep your fingers crossed for that one! :)

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Lady in Red wrote:560 Property

10010 Section 1 Professor Krier,James E
4 WThF 8:45-10:00 250 HUTCH ABCD, 2

Imogene

New

Post by Imogene » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:07 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Imogene wrote:I have a related question about this. I should have done it earlier and called, and I will probably call on Monday anyway, but on the survey thing, where it asks if you qualified for Pell grants during undergrad, what should I answer? I qualified for Pell grants during my sophomore year due to special circumstances the year before, but I didn't qualify the rest of the time I was in undergrad. Also, is it just me, or do they not ask about your income? Do they just figure that it is irrelevant since you won't be making anything during school?
I put that I did even though I only qualified one year as well. Also, that form is only a preliminary questionnaire. If it determines that you "might" qualify based on your answers then you have to fill out a fairly large application where you have to disclose all the stuff you think you will and then some. Filling out that form costs $28.00 and that's how need based aid is really determined. It would be lovely if it were based on the short questionnaire.
Thank you for your answer! I really appreciate it, and it helps a bunch. Kind of ironic that it costs money to see if you qualify for need based aid.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Imogene wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Thank you for your answer! I really appreciate it, and it helps a bunch. Kind of ironic that it costs money to see if you qualify for need based aid.
Yeah, I said the same thing. I mean, from what I understand it's nearly impossible to get need based anyway but I figured I'd get in the application anyway since I'll be paying sticker.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”