Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Sammy841

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by Sammy841 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:Hey uh...question for the class.

Any future Wolverines kicking off their law school journey on a long distance relationship? SO will be in one of Chicago or Boston during 1L year...

Also, anyone else apply to live in the Phid House?
I think I met maybe one person at ASW who wasn't applying for Phid House since the Lawyers Club will be closed.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am

Is there anything guests don't get to do at ASW? I assume they get fed, yeah?

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 am

UnamSanctam wrote:Is there anything guests don't get to do at ASW? I assume they get fed, yeah?
I'm not sure if guests got to eat with us. We were supposed to wear Mich preview weekend livestrong-type bracelets which they were kind of checking. I know one girl came with a guest who didn't attend either dinner, whether by personal preference or otherwise.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Double post, but I have a question.

I'm on the verge of negotiating with Mich for merit $, but do you think it's also worth it to try to negotiate for need-based loans/grants? BC approved me for a Perkins loan, so I obviously demonstrated some financial need, but Mich gave me nothing (even though they don't look at parental income/finances). Obviously, I'm pretty sore about this. I'm 21 and have UG debt on top of a low-income.

Is it as simple as BC and Mich having different standards for who can show financial need, or is using the Perkins loan against Mich worth a shot?

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Killingly wrote:Double post, but I have a question.

I'm on the verge of negotiating with Mich for merit $, but do you think it's also worth it to try to negotiate for need-based loans/grants? BC approved me for a Perkins loan, so I obviously demonstrated some financial need, but Mich gave me nothing (even though they don't look at parental income/finances). Obviously, I'm pretty sore about this. I'm 21 and have UG debt on top of a low-income.

Is it as simple as BC and Mich having different standards for who can show financial need, or is using the Perkins loan against Mich worth a shot?
You can try but I doubt it. Everyone has tons of student debt and little to no income prior to law school. Almost everyone would qualify if that was sufficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Hey uh...question for the class.

Any future Wolverines kicking off their law school journey on a long distance relationship? SO will be in one of Chicago or Boston during 1L year...

Also, anyone else apply to live in the Phid House?
I will be. Girlfriend is going to med school in Chicago next year, so not horribly far away, but still not close either. It's gonna suck, but like Unam said, neither of us will have much time for the other even if we were in the same city...we basically have come to terms with the fact that the next few years we'll be mostly seeing each other over breaks.

ETA: Plus, the long distance is totally worth it in my case, because if I end up below median and strike out at OCI, I'll have a doctor for a wife to be my sugar momma :lol:

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 pm

The Duck wrote:

You can try but I doubt it. Everyone has tons of student debt and little to no income prior to law school. Almost everyone would qualify if that was sufficient.
Agreed. Just try it. They don't really compete with BC, though. It might be a tough sell...

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:09 pm

JustE wrote:
The Duck wrote:

Agreed. Just try it. They don't really compete with BC, though. It might be a tough sell...
Yeah, I'll mention it. If BC thought I was poor, maybe Mich will throw me a bone.

But, really, I've already signed a lease in A2. I'm going whether or not they give me a dime.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm in A2 anyone else come in early?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:54 pm

JoeMo wrote:I'm in A2 anyone else come in early?
Wow, you are early. I'm moving at the start of May.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
I believe he was referring to being early to the second ASW.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I'll be there Wednesday! I'm very excited to visit! Not gonna lie, though: I'm sorta jealous that the Georgetown ASW has a reception at the Supreme Court.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:39 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
I believe he was referring to being early to the second ASW.
Credited

But I am also moving in early May.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 pm

The Duck wrote: Cuban restaurant that serves basically only fritz banditos. There's a little of everything and it's pretty authentic.
Name of this restaurant and location please

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

JoeMo wrote:
The Duck wrote: Cuban restaurant that serves basically only fritz banditos. There's a little of everything and it's pretty authentic.
I assume he's talking about Frita Batidos, but Sabor Latino has much better Cuban food.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
Haha whoosh. In my defense, I'm a bit drugged out on cold meds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Entchen wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
I assume he's talking about Frita Batidos, but Sabor Latino has much better Cuban food.
Yes but the fritas better at Frita Banditos.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 pm

The Duck wrote:
Entchen wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Cool. Thanks! Went to Bandito's Mexican today. Pretty good and quite authentic.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 pm

The Duck wrote:
Entchen wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
It's Batidos, and well... she even admits that they aren't real fritas. They're "inspired by" Cuban food. I'd rather have the real thing. But maybe my expectations going in were wrong, which is why I was disappointed.
NO, I am not Cuban – and this is not a Cuban restaurant. I grew up spending a lot of time in Miami, where my grandmother lived, and the Cuban, and more broadly, Latino cultures became a major influence in my style of cooking.... I took these experiences as a starting point and let my imagination take it from there. So while the starting point may be Cuban, the style of the menu is all its own!
Bah.

(Also, she says fritas are traditionally made from chorizo, but that's wrong - they are traditionally made from a mixture of beef and pork. Some chorizo, but not entirely chorizo. And I think her chorizo frita is made from Mexican chorizo, which is not the same as Spanish (and also Cuban) chorizo).

But the ropa vieja at Sabor Latino is great, and the lechón I had there was pretty good too.

Whatever you do, stay away from the food at Cafe Habana -- worst tostones I've had in my life. But I guess nobody really goes there to eat.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Entchen wrote: lechón
SOLD!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:25 am

UnamSanctam wrote:Is there anything guests don't get to do at ASW? I assume they get fed, yeah?
Bumping this because I assume someone must've had a guest at preview weekend and knows the answer. Also because I don't feel like asking admissions.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
Bumping this because I assume someone must've had a guest at preview weekend and knows the answer. Also because I don't feel like asking admissions.
Interested in this as well!

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 am

Hmmm.. Sent U of M the e-mail about my GULC offer almost a week ago and didn't hear anything yet... People who sent offers- how long did it take? I'm thinking if I don't hear absolutely anything back before ASW that I should pop-in to the Financial Aid office? I don't want to be a pain but I want to make sure it was received and I want to make decisions fairly soon regarding apartments and such.

(I'm a summer-starter.)

jfish

New

Post by jfish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:16 am

Summer orientation information on the Admitted Students Website!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”