Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

keg411

Platinum

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Killingly wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Des, how much is the b school gym membership? I'm not usually a gym person unless I can take classes there or have a workout buddy who is strict with me.
Branching off of this, I read a review that says the b-school gym doesn't offer that many classes/only has a few cardio machines. Does anyone know if this is actually the case. I'm all about classes and cardio.
I've heard they offer unlimited pilates and yoga classes, but I dunno about the rest of the classes; I also don't know about the machines (I don't belong).

However, keep in mind, if you want to take them at CCRB, you have to pay extra $$ anyway.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
Killingly wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Des, how much is the b school gym membership? I'm not usually a gym person unless I can take classes there or have a workout buddy who is strict with me.
Branching off of this, I read a review that says the b-school gym doesn't offer that many classes/only has a few cardio machines. Does anyone know if this is actually the case. I'm all about classes and cardio.
I've heard they offer unlimited pilates and yoga classes, but I dunno about the rest of the classes; I also don't know about the machines (I don't belong).

However, keep in mind, if you want to take them at CCRB, you have to pay extra $$ anyway.
Huh. That's semi-disappointing. But thanks for the info.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:14 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:So if my awards/fin aid section only has a loan listed that's all theyre able to offer? With that offer I will not be able to attend. Are they atleast able to increase the loan amount? I'm going to call Fin Aid tomorrow. So confused.
Well yeah, you have to apply for a GradPlus loan to cover the rest. I'm assuming all you have listed is 20.5k which is the max before GradPlus

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:32 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:So if my awards/fin aid section only has a loan listed that's all theyre able to offer? With that offer I will not be able to attend. Are they atleast able to increase the loan amount? I'm going to call Fin Aid tomorrow. So confused.
I don't know if what you're seeing is a Federal Stafford loan, but that's what I have on mine. My "offer" is for $20,500 per year, which is the maximum you can get in Stafford loans. If you need more than $20,500 a year you have to get private loans, which I assume Michigan leaves us to work out ourselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Well yeah, you have to apply for a GradPlus loan to cover the rest. I'm assuming all you have listed is 20.5k which is the max before GradPlus
Scooped...by like 20 minutes

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 pm

aekea wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Scooped...by like 20 minutes
Epic scoop. :-)

ETA: I'm totally internet-speak ignorant, so not sure if I used either of those words correctly.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 pm

aekea wrote:
I don't know if what you're seeing is a Federal Stafford loan, but that's what I have on mine. My "offer" is for $20,500 per year, which is the maximum you can get in Stafford loans. If you need more than $20,500 a year you have to get private loans, which I assume Michigan leaves us to work out ourselves.
Also, you don't really have to work it out yourself. You can go to the Michigan website - > financial aid -> find the information on GradPlus loans, if you want to apply for a Direct GradPlus you can do it by filling out a really short form and then they get back to you with your answer of whether you've been approved or denied and if you get denied you can get an endorser.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:This is the most depressing news ever. Coupled with my dog being put to sleep today. Oh man. Thank you to everyone that answered my questions! & If I were to get denied & dont have anyone that would sign as an endorser im SOL? I may be a bit paranoid now haha.
Sorry to hear about your dog. I think their credit standards for GradPlus are pretty minimal. You just can't have stuff past-due.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 pm

RNJDNO1 wrote:This is the most depressing news ever. Coupled with my dog being put to sleep today. Oh man. Thank you to everyone that answered my questions! & If I were to get denied & dont have anyone that would sign as an endorser im SOL? I may be a bit paranoid now haha.
If you get denied and can't find an endorser, unfortunately yes you'd be SOL. Some of the reasons why you may be denied are: accounts that are 90 days past due, collection or default, bankruptcy, foreclosures, repossessions, wage garnishments, and tax liens (all of those within the last 5 years)

Sorry about your dog.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:48 pm

When were you admitted? Looking at your post history it looks like it was only last week? It's possible they haven't processed merit awards for you yet. I don't know if you have the numbers, but Michigan is fairly generous with merit scholarships and usually it takes two weeks for them to post that info.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 am

Oh, wow. I was pretty deadset on Michigan but they gave me NO aid outside of loans and I just got my Georgetown package... 24k/yr grant money. Crap..
Last edited by sandwiches5000 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RNJDNO1

New

Post by RNJDNO1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 am

Last edited by RNJDNO1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:51 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Oh, wow. I was pretty deadset on Michigan but they gave me NO aid outside of loans and I just got my Georgetown package... 24k/yr grant money. Crap.
If you email them, they will budge.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:57 am

If my page still lists absolutely nothing (no loans or anything), am I still waiting or should I assume no scholarship? I'm not really expecting anything, I just want them to tell me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 am

You guys do realize that they're nowhere near done in granting aid right? I think they've only just released a few people. If I had to guess the majority of the people that have heard back about need-based applied for it when it first became available.

Also, I just want to reiterate the fact that to be considered for need-based aid you have to fill out a form that you have to pay $28 for. If you haven't paid $28 then you have not applied for need-based aid. There's a short questionnaire on admitted students to determine eligibility, if you pass that it gives you a link to the real need-based aid application.

Give it time, this cycle is far from over.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am

JoeMo wrote:You guys do realize that they're nowhere near done in granting aid right? I think they've only just released a few people. If I had to guess the majority of the people that have heard back about need-based applied for it when it first became available.

Also, I just want to reiterate the fact that to be considered for need-based aid you have to fill out a form that you have to pay $28 for. If you haven't paid $28 then you have not applied for need-based aid. There's a short questionnaire on admitted students to determine eligibility, if you pass that it gives you a link to the real need-based aid application.

I'm assuming you're talking about need access.

(and, I assume nothing not because I think the cycle is over, but because my numbers are of the WTF howdidigetin variety :) )

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
JoeMo wrote:You guys do realize that they're nowhere near done in granting aid right? I think they've only just released a few people. If I had to guess the majority of the people that have heard back about need-based applied for it when it first became available.

I'm assuming you're talking about need access.

(and, I assume nothing not because I think the cycle is over, but because my numbers are of the WTF howdidigetin variety :) )
I was more referring to the posters before you. If it's been more than 3 weeks since you got admitted I think the common thinking is that you won't get scholarships unless you have comparable offers and then you can ask them for one.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 am

Michigan seems pretty formulaic with how they give aid. If your LSAT is above their 75% mark, you get $54k. Dig around LSN and find people with stats like yours. There really doesn't seem to be much variety with how money is awarded. I have a miserable GPA, so I didn't look at people with high GPAs.

Also, you should follow the money. Imagine that you are a lawyer, but that you are also your first client. Would you tell a client to pay sticker over taking a scholarship? Would you give that advice? I wouldn't.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 am

Campagnolo wrote:Michigan seems pretty formulaic with how they give aid. If your LSAT is above their 75% mark, you get $54k. Dig around LSN and find people with stats like yours. There really doesn't seem to be much variety with how money is awarded. I have a miserable GPA, so I didn't look at people with high GPAs.

Also, you should follow the money. Imagine that you are a lawyer, but that you are also your first client. Would you tell a client to pay sticker over taking a scholarship? Would you give that advice? I wouldn't.
Personally, I'm hoping to negotiate. They seem pretty open to it if you got awarded nothing to begin with.

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 am

They did say at the first Preview Weekend, in the financial aid panel, that they pushed all the first-weekend-attendees financial aid files to the front of the line, so if you didn't go to the first preview weekend, they're probably still working on you.

jfish

New

Post by jfish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

Who wants to come with me to the Drake - J. Cole - Waka Flocka Flame concert May 30?! I know it's the day before our first class but... Drizzy!

It's in Clarkston, which Google Maps says is a little over an hour from Ann Arbor.

http://www.drizzydrake.org/news/drake-t ... nd-j-cole/

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:18 am

franklyscarlet wrote:If my page still lists absolutely nothing (no loans or anything), am I still waiting or should I assume no scholarship? I'm not really expecting anything, I just want them to tell me.
I think we were admitted the same day and their FA was posted on the ASW for me yesterday morning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”