Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Campagnolo

Silver

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by Campagnolo » Tue May 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Anyone send in their official transcripts yet? To whom do I send them? Please? Anyone? Somebody want to be collegial and whatnot?

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Anyone send in their official transcripts yet? To whom do I send them? Please? Anyone? Somebody want to be collegial and whatnot?
I sent the transcript to the admissions office and it has been received and processed.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm

law2015 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Anyone send in their official transcripts yet? To whom do I send them? Please? Anyone? Somebody want to be collegial and whatnot?
I sent the transcript to the admissions office and it has been received and processed.
Thank you! Collegiality at Michigan lives! The cake is not a lie!

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 pm

As many others here, I am leasing an apartment from prime student housing and my lease starts on the 26th. I was just wondering what are others doing with regards to furniture and settling in. Those with cars, are you registering them in MI and reinsuring them? I will be visiting the school later this month and hope to have these questions answered but if anyone wants to share any info please do so.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Also, does T-mobile have good service in Ann Arbor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Tue May 01, 2012 6:44 pm

law2015 wrote:As many others here, I am leasing an apartment from prime student housing and my lease starts on the 26th. I was just wondering what are others doing with regards to furniture and settling in. Those with cars, are you registering them in MI and reinsuring them? I will be visiting the school later this month and hope to have these questions answered but if anyone wants to share any info please do so.
I'll most likely be sharing a house if I can find one. As far as furniture goes - there's seems to be an IKEA nearby, and amazon.com has some cheap stuff. I'll probably grab a bed/futon from one of them. Maybe take my tv from home and pack it in the car (which I will keep insured in my home state). There are usually cheap dressers, bookshelves and tables from craigslist or something.

I'm going to take a crack at the T-Mobile question. Since it's a major carrier, you shouldn't have a problem - at least no more than the usual problems that come with T-Mobile. It's not like Ann Arbor is some isolated place far from cell phone towers.

If I go to Michigan, I don't plan on moving to A2 until at least July, so I don't know about settling in yet.

Good luck.

crabcakes

Bronze

Post by crabcakes » Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

law2015 wrote:As many others here, I am leasing an apartment from prime student housing and my lease starts on the 26th. I was just wondering what are others doing with regards to furniture and settling in. Those with cars, are you registering them in MI and reinsuring them? I will be visiting the school later this month and hope to have these questions answered but if anyone wants to share any info please do so.
If you're leasing from PSH, didn't you already work out with them what furniture they're going to include in the apartment? I'm also leasing from them, but opted out of some of their furniture (bed, desk, etc) so I could buy it myself. I also plan on hitting up Ikea.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:05 pm

crabcakes wrote:
If you're leasing from PSH, didn't you already work out with them what furniture they're going to include in the apartment? I'm also leasing from them, but opted out of some of their furniture (bed, desk, etc) so I could buy it myself. I also plan on hitting up Ikea.
Yeah I scheduled a visit this month. Want to see the apartment first before deciding what to keep and what to buy, also will go to Ikea. Really excited to see the school and to check out the apartment. Do you know if it is possible to change the move in date?

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Anyone know of a good resource for finding apartments in AA? Listing sites? Realty companies that list apartments or rep some of the complexes? I didn't like any of the apartments they're offering to replace the lawyers club...I want something a little bit nicer (those places were pretty dumpy...) I'm trying to move either Aug 1 or Aug 15. A 2br is ideal with 1 roommate, but I'm open to a 3br with all law students.

Thank You
S

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am

smoneill88 wrote:Anyone know of a good resource for finding apartments in AA? Listing sites? Realty companies that list apartments or rep some of the complexes? I didn't like any of the apartments they're offering to replace the lawyers club...I want something a little bit nicer (those places were pretty dumpy...) I'm trying to move either Aug 1 or Aug 15. A 2br is ideal with 1 roommate, but I'm open to a 3br with all law students.

Thank You
S
Explain what you mean by "nicer" and maybe I can help you. Because the objectively nicest apartments in Ann Arbor are really really really undergrad-y and really really really expensive.

If "nicer" means "a little more adult," check out Lake Village, Woodland Mews, Harbor House and Signature Club. And maybe Woodbury Gardens, but I've heard mixed things.

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 am

keg411 wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:Anyone know of a good resource for finding apartments in AA? Listing sites? Realty companies that list apartments or rep some of the complexes? I didn't like any of the apartments they're offering to replace the lawyers club...I want something a little bit nicer (those places were pretty dumpy...) I'm trying to move either Aug 1 or Aug 15. A 2br is ideal with 1 roommate, but I'm open to a 3br with all law students.

Thank You
S
Explain what you mean by "nicer" and maybe I can help you. Because the objectively nicest apartments in Ann Arbor are really really really undergrad-y and really really really expensive.

If "nicer" means "a little more adult," check out Lake Village, Woodland Mews, Harbor House and Signature Club. And maybe Woodbury Gardens, but I've heard mixed things.
Along with the above ones, try Nob Hill and Hoover Post (through Post Realty). I looked at one bedrooms there and they were nice. The apartment I saw at Harbor House was really really gross (countertops totally peeling, cabinets with huge chips broken off, knobs falling off, and the apartment was just generally disgusting, and they said they wouldn't fix stuff unless it was unusable), but you might have a different experience with a more updated apartment.

Everything else I saw in the student price range was really bad but those high-rise apartments that are more expensive seem like they'd be nice.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 am

Anyone looking to share a 2-3 br condo/house a little further out? It's nice and by nice I mean nice by normal standards. You would need a car, but you'd only spend $500-600/month on rent, would have your own bathroom, tons of space, covered parking (likely), and every other amenity you might need (laundry, dishwasher, ac, harwood floors, back yard).

I've been out of school for a few years and the undergrady places near campus are really unacceptable. I need to like my personal space if I'm to do well. There's a few spots I'm looking at that are 1-4 miles out. I'd also be interested in an apartment if it looks all right. PM me for details.

E

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 am

46nyc wrote:The apartment I saw at Harbor House was really really gross (countertops totally peeling, cabinets with huge chips broken off, knobs falling off, and the apartment was just generally disgusting, and they said they wouldn't fix stuff unless it was unusable), but you might have a different experience with a more updated apartment.

Everything else I saw in the student price range was really bad but those high-rise apartments that are more expensive seem like they'd be nice.
Yeah, I never actually saw the Harbor House interiors. I'm just naming stuff that's near me that looks nice on the outside (although I've seen the interiors in Signature Club and those are actually nice).

Also, if anyone is looking for something that is VERY VERY nice (I can vouch for it ;)), check out this CL post. Landlord is amazing. You have to drive to the park-and-ride and then drive to campus, but it's no further away then places the places I mentioned in the earlier post.

--LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 am

keg411 wrote:
46nyc wrote:The apartment I saw at Harbor House was really really gross (countertops totally peeling, cabinets with huge chips broken off, knobs falling off, and the apartment was just generally disgusting, and they said they wouldn't fix stuff unless it was unusable), but you might have a different experience with a more updated apartment.

Yeah, I never actually saw the Harbor House interiors. I'm just naming stuff that's near me that looks nice on the outside (although I've seen the interiors in Signature Club and those are actually nice).

Also, if anyone is looking for something that is VERY VERY nice (I can vouch for it ;)), check out this CL post. Landlord is amazing. You have to drive to the park-and-ride and then drive to campus, but it's no further away then places the places I mentioned in the earlier post.

--LinkRemoved--
Anyone? :D

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Wed May 02, 2012 11:10 am

keg411 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
It's actually really funny how different the HH interiors are from the outside. My mom and I went up and we were like wow, I have to live here, this is so nice! - when we saw the clubhouse and then the hallways of the apartment building. Everything there was super new and modern and gorgeous. Then you go in and it's like whoa... these interiors haven't been redone since they were built in the 1970s (just guessing on the decade).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 am

That's too funny! Yeah, the only interiors I can vouch for are the post above, Signature Club and Hidden Valley Club (which I didn't list above because while the interiors are fine, the exteriors aren't as nice). I'm sure the high rises are super nice too (Zaragon, Zaragon West and the Landmark), but like I said, they're full of undergrads and expensive. Pretty much all of the law students that I know living in those places went to UMich undergrad.

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Just saw this place on Craigslist. Shot in the dark but do 5 people wanna rent this place? It's pretty amazing and with rent of $4400 I think we could keep it to 5 people (or go with 6 if we wanted, just thought 5 to keep things less crowded). House looks well built and seems far enough from campus to avoid noisy undergrads. Pretty well furnished, each room as its own tv already.

Walking distance to the Law Quad, and I'm sure we could pull an Aug 15 move-in so we wouldn't miss any orientation.

--LinkRemoved--

Bueller? PM me, let's get a group going.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Just saw this place on Craigslist. Shot in the dark but do 5 people wanna rent this place? It's pretty amazing and with rent of $4400 I think we could keep it to 5 people (or go with 6 if we wanted, just thought 5 to keep things less crowded). House looks well built and seems far enough from campus to avoid noisy undergrads. Pretty well furnished, each room as its own tv already.

Walking distance to the Law Quad, and I'm sure we could pull an Aug 15 move-in so we wouldn't miss any orientation.

--LinkRemoved--

Just spoke to the landlord and he is fine with starting a lease in August (didn't specify Aug 1 or 15, but assuming people would be happy with either).

This place sounds like a great opportunity for a group of 1L's. PM if interested or if you have any questions. With 5 people, rent is $880 each, 6 people it's $733 each.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

smoneill88 wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:Just saw this place on Craigslist. Shot in the dark but do 5 people wanna rent this place? It's pretty amazing and with rent of $4400 I think we could keep it to 5 people (or go with 6 if we wanted, just thought 5 to keep things less crowded). House looks well built and seems far enough from campus to avoid noisy undergrads. Pretty well furnished, each room as its own tv already.

--LinkRemoved--

Just spoke to the landlord and he is fine with starting a lease in August (didn't specify Aug 1 or 15, but assuming people would be happy with either).

This place sounds like a great opportunity for a group of 1L's. PM if interested or if you have any questions. With 5 people, rent is $880 each, 6 people it's $733 each.
The place has a Kegerator. Didn't know what that was... So I thought I'd share.... Kegerator: a term used to describe a residential draft beer dispensing device. #win

I'm up for it. S, I saw your PM and will send you a few links when I get home tonight. I originally wasn't a fan of that many roommates, but the place is furninished and in walking distance. Can't beat it.

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 pm

JustE wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

The place has a Kegerator. Didn't know what that was... So I thought I'd share.... Kegerator: a term used to describe a residential draft beer dispensing device. #win

I'm up for it. S, I saw your PM and will send you a few links when I get home tonight. I originally wasn't a fan of that many roommates, but the place is furninished and in walking distance. Can't beat it.
My thoughts exactly. I was originally concerned about having multiple roommates but if it's a great place in a great location full of like-minded people, I can't say I have any concerns. I plan on excelling to the best of my abilities in law school and treating it like a 9-6 job, but I also want to be happy and enjoy my 3 years in Ann Arbor.

daydreamer

Bronze

Post by daydreamer » Wed May 02, 2012 3:46 pm

I might be interested too...can you guys PM me as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:32 pm

daydreamer wrote:I might be interested too...can you guys PM me as well?
PM sent

bannanagram

New

Post by bannanagram » Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm

46nyc wrote:
keg411 wrote:
46nyc wrote:The apartment I saw at Harbor House was really really gross (countertops totally peeling, cabinets with huge chips broken off, knobs falling off, and the apartment was just generally disgusting, and they said they wouldn't fix stuff unless it was unusable), but you might have a different experience with a more

It's actually really funny how different the HH interiors are from the outside. My mom and I went up and we were like wow, I have to live here, this is so nice! - when we saw the clubhouse and then the hallways of the apartment building. Everything there was super new and modern and gorgeous. Then you go in and it's like whoa... these interiors haven't been redone since they were built in the 1970s (just guessing on the decade).
I think they were built in the 90's. The apartments are hit or miss. I didn't like the floors in my unit and they re-did them.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 am

I think I just broke the law school website... :(

I just want to get my loans squared away... is that too much to ask?...

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu May 03, 2012 12:21 am

I'm going to be homeless...should have found a place sooner.

So homeless.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”