Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Sammy841

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by Sammy841 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

As far as grants - if you're talking about merit grants then yes, they'll be the same each year (barring stips). If you're talking need-based grants, then the amount fluctuates according to changes in income.

gotta go watch the Kentucky Derby now. [/quote]

I think this is wrong. If you look here: --LinkRemoved--

It appears the grants are awarded for threes years and will not change unless they give you an increase for doing PI your 2L summer. However I will definitely be calling FinAid next week to clarify since I nearly had a heart attack thinking my aid could change.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Sun May 06, 2012 11:25 am

Sammy841 wrote:As far as grants - if you're talking about merit grants then yes, they'll be the same each year (barring stips). If you're talking need-based grants, then the amount fluctuates according to changes in income.

gotta go watch the Kentucky Derby now.

It appears the grants are awarded for threes years and will not change unless they give you an increase for doing PI your 2L summer. However I will definitely be calling FinAid next week to clarify since I nearly had a heart attack thinking my aid could change.[/quote]

Need-based grants are subject to change each year, as they are based on income and you have to re-apply each year. So, you may be eligible for need-based aid this year, but not next. For instance, if you get a 2L summer gig where you pull in $30k, that will affect your eligibility for need-based aid.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Sun May 06, 2012 11:29 am

Damn it's disappointing to hear that about need based aid. I guess all that can be done is giving admissions a shout tomorrow and filling out that form. I'm just really surprised I didn't even get to present my finances and I'm bewildered at how that questionnaire determined I was ineligible.

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 am

Sammy841 wrote:As far as grants - if you're talking about merit grants then yes, they'll be the same each year (barring stips). If you're talking need-based grants, then the amount fluctuates according to changes in income.

gotta go watch the Kentucky Derby now.

It appears the grants are awarded for threes years and will not change unless they give you an increase for doing PI your 2L summer. However I will definitely be calling FinAid next week to clarify since I nearly had a heart attack thinking my aid could change.[/quote]

Hmm, strange but it appears you are right. All of the other schools that I received need-based aid grants said that changes in income could change the amount.

Michigan seems to be saying the opposite. So if someone is getting a significant need grant lands a 5k/month SA they can keep the same need-based grant amount the next year? But if another person who is also poor and doesn't have a need grant chooses to do a 1L non-SFF funded summer PI they would still get nothing?

I like a lot of things about Michigan, but their financial aid rules just suck. They almost make Berkeley's submitting competing scholarships after other school's seat deposit deadlines seem reasonable.

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Sun May 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Currently driving around AA looking at housing options. Slim-pickings here this late.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Sun May 06, 2012 3:51 pm

If anyone is still looking for really close, really cheap, really awesome summer housing, PM me -- we have a couple of available rooms in Phid to sublet. Literally a block away from the law school, $350/month (including everything - all utilities, every cable channel known to man, etc.), and you get to live with a bunch of awesome 1/2/3Ls/LLMs.

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Hey Everyone,

We've still got 2 spots open in this house. PM me if you're interested. Walking distance to campus, recently renovated with granite + new floors, fully furnished, each bedroom has its own plasma. $4400/mo split 5 or 6 ways.

--LinkRemoved--

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Hey Everyone,

We've still got 2 spots open in this house. PM me if you're interested. Walking distance to campus, recently renovated with granite + new floors, fully furnished, each bedroom has its own plasma. $4400/mo split 5 or 6 ways.

--LinkRemoved--
Should have mentioned this. We spoke to the landlord and we have an Aug 1 move-in.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am

smoneill88 wrote:
smoneill88 wrote:Hey Everyone,

--LinkRemoved--
Should have mentioned this. We spoke to the landlord and we have an Aug 1 move-in.
Hi Everyone!

I'm staying here as well. The split will be $733 or $880 depending on if we go with 5 or 6 housemates. It really is an amazing place. It's an 11 min walk or a 4 min bike ride door to door. There's plenty of free parking if you have a car, a bike room, and you get the amenities of a complex like Zargon West or University Towers for a fraction of the cost.

We have an awesome group of people so far (guys and gals welcome). If you're interested, please shoot one of us a message!

E

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon May 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Still looking for housing? Problem solved!

I'm looking for someone to take over my lease for a 1 bdrm apartment in the Forum. The building is one of those reserved for 1Ls and is literally across the street from the law school. Rent is 995/month, including parking for one car. PM me if interested!

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Do any current or past students want to comment on the MAP orientation? Was it a good experience and overall worthwhile? I'm not super excited to move a week early, but it sounds interesting.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue May 08, 2012 10:33 pm

ummm.... ---> --LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Tue May 08, 2012 11:56 pm

JustE wrote:
ummm.... ---> --LinkRemoved--
Only if I can bring the wife.

My apartment recently fell through. :oops:

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 pm

uh, just got into U of Chicago...

I've given up a lot of money at a lot of great schools to commit to Michigan. But while the decisions to give up Berkeley and Duke were easy in retrospect, I don't think I can justify giving up something like Chicago...

Can someone talk me off the ledge and tell me why Michigan is so great/better than Chicago?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 pm

cylon_clone wrote:uh, just got into U of Chicago...

I've given up a lot of money at a lot of great schools to commit to Michigan. But while the decisions to give up Berkeley and Duke were easy in retrospect, I don't think I can justify giving up something like Chicago...

Can someone talk me off the ledge and tell me why Michigan is so great/better than Chicago?
While Chicago is great, one could not pay me to live in Hyde Park again.

But congrats are definitely in order. It's a great school and you should definitely consider it.

Sammy841

Bronze

Post by Sammy841 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

I would probably go to Chicago honestly, especially considering Michigan's latest stats unless you really hate Chicago or can get Michigan to give you more money. If Michigan gives you something substantial and you would have to pay sticker at Chicago then I would stay with Michigan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

While Chicago is great, one could not pay me to live in Hyde Park again.

But congrats are definitely in order. It's a great school and you should definitely consider it.
What's wrong with Hyde Park?
Sammy841 wrote:

I would probably go to Chicago honestly, especially considering Michigan's latest stats unless you really hate Chicago or can get Michigan to give you more money. If Michigan gives you something substantial and you would have to pay sticker at Chicago then I would stay with Michigan.
Yeah, I've tried to get more money out of Michigan before - they didn't budge. But that was only with offers from peers and lower ranked t14s. Since the city of Chicago is one of Michigan's biggest markets and UChi is a higher tier they might be more receptive. I'm definitely going to try it...

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Anyone know if the Contracts and Torts classes this summer will have open or closed book exams?

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu May 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Officially deposited. See all of you next fall. I'll be ordering catered Chik Fil A and sweet tea on random game days. All are welcome to partake of the chicken.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

hyakku wrote:Officially deposited. See all of you next fall. I'll be ordering catered Chik Fil A and sweet tea on random game days. All are welcome to partake of the chicken.
I'm in for the sweet tea. Omfg, I love sweet tea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

planeride

New

Post by planeride » Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Sammy841 wrote:Do any current or past students want to comment on the MAP orientation? Was it a good experience and overall worthwhile? I'm not super excited to move a week early, but it sounds interesting.
Bumping this question..."MAP" is too short for the search function to handle.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:00 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but there are no Chik Fil A's near Ann Arbor... unless you're willing to drive an hour or two.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu May 10, 2012 2:08 pm

JustE wrote:Anyone know if the Contracts and Torts classes this summer will have open or closed book exams?
Anyone? lol :lol:

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm

JustE wrote:
JustE wrote:Anyone know if the Contracts and Torts classes this summer will have open or closed book exams?
Anyone? lol :lol:
Tbh you are not really asking in the right place...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”