NYU Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
nine-and-fifty
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nine-and-fifty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:11 pm

nutella123 wrote:Wondering how much time people are spending studying. My buddies are saying they are spending 10 hours a day. I'm not there.... too many distractions from NYC, mixers, etc.

Interested to see if I'm alone and should crack the books more....


So far I've been able to fit most everything into the weekends, though maybe that's a bad sign.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 pm

nine-and-fifty wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Wondering how much time people are spending studying. My buddies are saying they are spending 10 hours a day. I'm not there.... too many distractions from NYC, mixers, etc.

Interested to see if I'm alone and should crack the books more....


So far I've been able to fit most everything into the weekends, though maybe that's a bad sign.

I'm impressed. Probably 5 hours on Evey day but Friday and Saturday

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby thelawyler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
nine-and-fifty wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Wondering how much time people are spending studying. My buddies are saying they are spending 10 hours a day. I'm not there.... too many distractions from NYC, mixers, etc.

Interested to see if I'm alone and should crack the books more....


So far I've been able to fit most everything into the weekends, though maybe that's a bad sign.

I'm impressed. Probably 5 hours on Evey day but Friday and Saturday

Definitely doable, although I really like my weekends free to go out at night with friends and watch football.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby Lawbro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I do about 10-12 hours total over the weekends, and 5 hours outside of class on weekdays. It's really not that bad yet.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am

I haven't been clocking mine... I kind of just go with whatever I feel I need to get done that day. Sometimes that's 1 hour; sometimes it's 7. I don't think I've done 10 hours in one day outside of class yet... seems unnecessary...

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby thelong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm

My approach has been similar to Indigo's. Right now I don't know what, exactly, I'd "study" seeing as how I think most people are still figuring out what's important.

Most of my outside-of-class time commitment towards law school is spent simply doing the readings, looking for themes where I can, and checking that I'm not just glossing over passages, phrases or ideas that I really don't understand.

The rest of it is spent trying to figure out how what I know is going to present itself on the exam. Checking out past student's outlines in the SBA vault, looking for generalized practice exams (saving the ones released by the professors until closer to finals) and making an effort to actually keep up in the supplements before I do the reading has been the bulk of the "studying" that I do, if you can call it that.

Additionally, I place a pretty high value on not burning out, so I really try and make a point of doing things like going to the gym or going out and shooting (I'm a photographer) in the city. I learned the hard way from LSAT studying, of all things, just how pernicious burn out can be and how important it is to be able to attack material when you're fresh to get the best possible score.

Also, as hard as it is, I think it has really helped that I've realized that there is definitely a head game going on. Yes, there are people that are already working all hours to memorize every case detail they can. I wish I had their commitment. I don't. Dwelling on the fact that I don't isn't going to help me. Trying to keep up with them isn't going to help me. What is going to help me is doing what I need to do to prepare for the exam. Also, that looking good in class is nice -- but it's obviously not the most important thing to me.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:09 pm

thelong wrote:My approach has been similar to Indigo's. Right now I don't know what, exactly, I'd "study" seeing as how I think most people are still figuring out what's important.

Most of my outside-of-class time commitment towards law school is spent simply doing the readings, looking for themes where I can, and checking that I'm not just glossing over passages, phrases or ideas that I really don't understand.

The rest of it is spent trying to figure out how what I know is going to present itself on the exam. Checking out past student's outlines in the SBA vault, looking for generalized practice exams (saving the ones released by the professors until closer to finals) and making an effort to actually keep up in the supplements before I do the reading has been the bulk of the "studying" that I do, if you can call it that.

Additionally, I place a pretty high value on not burning out, so I really try and make a point of doing things like going to the gym or going out and shooting (I'm a photographer) in the city. I learned the hard way from LSAT studying, of all things, just how pernicious burn out can be and how important it is to be able to attack material when you're fresh to get the best possible score.

Also, as hard as it is, I think it has really helped that I've realized that there is definitely a head game going on. Yes, there are people that are already working all hours to memorize every case detail they can. I wish I had their commitment. I don't. Dwelling on the fact that I don't isn't going to help me. Trying to keep up with them isn't going to help me. What is going to help me is doing what I need to do to prepare for the exam. Also, that looking good in class is nice -- but it's obviously not the most important thing to me.


hahah I initially misunderstood this as looking attractive in class (wearing fancy things, not rolling out of bed and into the classroom). I too wish to look good in class :P jk jk I'm usually a mess by the time I make it downtown lol.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby thelawyler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm

indigomachine wrote:
thelong wrote:My approach has been similar to Indigo's. Right now I don't know what, exactly, I'd "study" seeing as how I think most people are still figuring out what's important.

Most of my outside-of-class time commitment towards law school is spent simply doing the readings, looking for themes where I can, and checking that I'm not just glossing over passages, phrases or ideas that I really don't understand.

The rest of it is spent trying to figure out how what I know is going to present itself on the exam. Checking out past student's outlines in the SBA vault, looking for generalized practice exams (saving the ones released by the professors until closer to finals) and making an effort to actually keep up in the supplements before I do the reading has been the bulk of the "studying" that I do, if you can call it that.

Additionally, I place a pretty high value on not burning out, so I really try and make a point of doing things like going to the gym or going out and shooting (I'm a photographer) in the city. I learned the hard way from LSAT studying, of all things, just how pernicious burn out can be and how important it is to be able to attack material when you're fresh to get the best possible score.

Also, as hard as it is, I think it has really helped that I've realized that there is definitely a head game going on. Yes, there are people that are already working all hours to memorize every case detail they can. I wish I had their commitment. I don't. Dwelling on the fact that I don't isn't going to help me. Trying to keep up with them isn't going to help me. What is going to help me is doing what I need to do to prepare for the exam. Also, that looking good in class is nice -- but it's obviously not the most important thing to me.


hahah I initially misunderstood this as looking attractive in class (wearing fancy things, not rolling out of bed and into the classroom). I too wish to look good in class :P jk jk I'm usually a mess by the time I make it downtown lol.


Looking like a male model everyday is definitely the credited response.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm

thelawyler wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
thelong wrote:My approach has been similar to Indigo's. Right now I don't know what, exactly, I'd "study" seeing as how I think most people are still figuring out what's important.

Most of my outside-of-class time commitment towards law school is spent simply doing the readings, looking for themes where I can, and checking that I'm not just glossing over passages, phrases or ideas that I really don't understand.

The rest of it is spent trying to figure out how what I know is going to present itself on the exam. Checking out past student's outlines in the SBA vault, looking for generalized practice exams (saving the ones released by the professors until closer to finals) and making an effort to actually keep up in the supplements before I do the reading has been the bulk of the "studying" that I do, if you can call it that.

Additionally, I place a pretty high value on not burning out, so I really try and make a point of doing things like going to the gym or going out and shooting (I'm a photographer) in the city. I learned the hard way from LSAT studying, of all things, just how pernicious burn out can be and how important it is to be able to attack material when you're fresh to get the best possible score.

Also, as hard as it is, I think it has really helped that I've realized that there is definitely a head game going on. Yes, there are people that are already working all hours to memorize every case detail they can. I wish I had their commitment. I don't. Dwelling on the fact that I don't isn't going to help me. Trying to keep up with them isn't going to help me. What is going to help me is doing what I need to do to prepare for the exam. Also, that looking good in class is nice -- but it's obviously not the most important thing to me.


hahah I initially misunderstood this as looking attractive in class (wearing fancy things, not rolling out of bed and into the classroom). I too wish to look good in class :P jk jk I'm usually a mess by the time I make it downtown lol.


Looking like a male model everyday is definitely the credited response.


+1 for the comment in combination with the Zoolander tar.

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby thelong » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 pm

I am doing it wrong. Fffffuuuuuuuu!

:oops:

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby izy223 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am

anyone know of a good suppliment for Contracts with Wurgler i cant seem to fina any

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nutella123 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm

thelong wrote:My approach has been similar to Indigo's. Right now I don't know what, exactly, I'd "study" seeing as how I think most people are still figuring out what's important.

Most of my outside-of-class time commitment towards law school is spent simply doing the readings, looking for themes where I can, and checking that I'm not just glossing over passages, phrases or ideas that I really don't understand.

The rest of it is spent trying to figure out how what I know is going to present itself on the exam. Checking out past student's outlines in the SBA vault, looking for generalized practice exams (saving the ones released by the professors until closer to finals) and making an effort to actually keep up in the supplements before I do the reading has been the bulk of the "studying" that I do, if you can call it that.

Additionally, I place a pretty high value on not burning out, so I really try and make a point of doing things like going to the gym or going out and shooting (I'm a photographer) in the city. I learned the hard way from LSAT studying, of all things, just how pernicious burn out can be and how important it is to be able to attack material when you're fresh to get the best possible score.

Also, as hard as it is, I think it has really helped that I've realized that there is definitely a head game going on. Yes, there are people that are already working all hours to memorize every case detail they can. I wish I had their commitment. I don't. Dwelling on the fact that I don't isn't going to help me. Trying to keep up with them isn't going to help me. What is going to help me is doing what I need to do to prepare for the exam. Also, that looking good in class is nice -- but it's obviously not the most important thing to me.



This is helpful. Thanks! I'm still briefing cases - but feel like I'm spinning my wheels a bit. Too much for too little gain. Maybe I'm just lazy....

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm

I hope that whoever the bookstore resells my torts book to enjoys my informal notetaking style.

Just wrote: "teaching noobs = assumed risk that noobs suck" in the margins :)

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby thelong » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 pm

indigomachine wrote:I hope that whoever the bookstore resells my torts book to enjoys my informal notetaking style.

Just wrote: "teaching noobs = assumed risk that noobs suck" in the margins :)


It took less than three seconds for me to pinpoint what you were talking about.

My CivPro book contains such gems as "WTF Highlighter Person?" due to fucking rainbow that burst out when I cracked the book open to Helicopteros.

ETA: Also, as much as I enjoyed the contextual vignettes in Contracts, I've started to find myself more annoyed then anything when they add ten pages to the reading.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 pm

thelong wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I hope that whoever the bookstore resells my torts book to enjoys my informal notetaking style.

Just wrote: "teaching noobs = assumed risk that noobs suck" in the margins :)


It took less than three seconds for me to pinpoint what you were talking about.

My CivPro book contains such gems as "WTF Highlighter Person?" due to fucking rainbow that burst out when I cracked the book open to Helicopteros.

ETA: Also, as much as I enjoyed the contextual vignettes in Contracts, I've started to find myself more annoyed then anything when they add ten pages to the reading.


+100000000 (waits for Jam to run here and make fun of me for my misuse of +1)

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:50 pm

indigomachine wrote:
thelong wrote:
indigomachine wrote:I hope that whoever the bookstore resells my torts book to enjoys my informal notetaking style.

Just wrote: "teaching noobs = assumed risk that noobs suck" in the margins :)


It took less than three seconds for me to pinpoint what you were talking about.

My CivPro book contains such gems as "WTF Highlighter Person?" due to fucking rainbow that burst out when I cracked the book open to Helicopteros.

ETA: Also, as much as I enjoyed the contextual vignettes in Contracts, I've started to find myself more annoyed then anything when they add ten pages to the reading.


+100000000 (waits for Jam to run here and make fun of me for my misuse of +1)

ftfy

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nutella123 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 pm

So...with all the mixers what extracurriculars are people finally deciding to do? So many choices, so little time.

nygrl
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nygrl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi all -

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to send me practice exams from Catherine Sharkey. I can trade for exams from my school. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks!

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 pm

There are practice exams from professors online. You just need your NetID to login.
I had problems with the file format when I tried glancing at them, but I'm pretty sure it's just my computer.

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nutella123 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm

How far are people along in outlining for their classes? I'm finding that it is difficult to stay on top of it with all the Lawyering, etc, work we have. Curious if I'm just slow or if that's the norm. Thanks!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 pm

nutella123 wrote:How far are people along in outlining for their classes? I'm finding that it is difficult to stay on top of it with all the Lawyering, etc, work we have. Curious if I'm just slow or if that's the norm. Thanks!

Most people haven't really cracked into outlining. I've done a little in one class, and nothing in the other two.

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nutella123 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Makes me a feel a bit better. So much daily work to do.... and it seems to get more and more intense. Hard to get the outlining done as well. Wish we had a reading period!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 pm

nutella123 wrote:Makes me a feel a bit better. So much daily work to do.... and it seems to get more and more intense. Hard to get the outlining done as well. Wish we had a reading period!

yeah, it seems like once our memos are done, it's basically a reading period from then on.

User avatar
indigomachine
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby indigomachine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Makes me a feel a bit better. So much daily work to do.... and it seems to get more and more intense. Hard to get the outlining done as well. Wish we had a reading period!

yeah, it seems like once our memos are done, it's basically a reading period from then on.


alternatively, allow me to cut myself now x_x

nutella123
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Postby nutella123 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm

True. Do all lawyering sections have same due dates for memo? When is yours due?




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest