NYU Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
chemE_envlaw

New

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Post by chemE_envlaw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm

I got in off the waitlist after the housing priority deadline had already passed. Accordingly, I am now on the housing waitlist :(

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 pm

chemE_envlaw wrote:I got in off the waitlist after the housing priority deadline had already passed. Accordingly, I am now on the housing waitlist :(
Good news: I just got my housing assignment but am withdrawing because I got an apt instead. I'm sure others will be in a similar situation. GL!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Middle floor Mercer studio. Holla.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:07 am

indigomachine wrote:
chemE_envlaw wrote:I got in off the waitlist after the housing priority deadline had already passed. Accordingly, I am now on the housing waitlist :(
Good news: I just got my housing assignment but am withdrawing because I got an apt instead. I'm sure others will be in a similar situation. GL!
Funny, I emailed my roommate and he told me he also withdrew (but, like, from the school). Don't sweat it, chemE, these spots are opening up left and right.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 am

Yeshia90 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
Funny, I emailed my roommate and he told me he also withdrew (but, like, from the school). Don't sweat it, chemE, these spots are opening up left and right.
It was me. I thought I had applied to NYLS this whole time (my #1, only in my wildest dreams, school). Imagine my surprise when I showed up to their ASW and they sent me uptown :shock:

(Retake? :wink: )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 am

indigomachine wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
It was me. I thought I had applied to NYLS this whole time (my #1, only in my wildest dreams, school). Imagine my surprise when I showed up to their ASW and they sent me uptown :shock:

(Retake? :wink: )
They do provide an excellent, real-world legal experience when you graduate with no job prospects and turn around and sue them in a class-action lawsuit :wink:

iaiava

New

Post by iaiava » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm currently in the process of looking for housing. Mainly in and around Hell's kitchen and Chelsea. Anyone looking for roommates?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 pm

iaiava wrote:I'm currently in the process of looking for housing. Mainly in and around Hell's kitchen and Chelsea. Anyone looking for roommates?
I'm not (sorry, I know, not terribly helpful), but I'm living in HK. Hit me up if you end up in the around here! (haven't heard of anyone else looking in the area yet... feel like most people are staying on campus...)

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm

indigomachine wrote:
iaiava wrote:I'm currently in the process of looking for housing. Mainly in and around Hell's kitchen and Chelsea. Anyone looking for roommates?
I'm not (sorry, I know, not terribly helpful), but I'm living in HK. Hit me up if you end up in the around here! (haven't heard of anyone else looking in the area yet... feel like most people are staying on campus...)
im looking around HK and chealsea as well. let me know what you all end up doing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Piner

New

Post by Piner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Can anybody else get into Albert? I got my email and netID ages ago, and I can log onto NYUHome just fine, but still no Albert access. I'm only concerned because I know we have to go through there to accept loans, which I applied for a couple weeks ago.

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm

You've already started applying for loans? They haven't sent me any info on that yet and I haven't begun the process...

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:31 pm

izy223 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
im looking around HK and chealsea as well. let me know what you all end up doing
izy + iaiava = roomies? jk(ish) haha

To clarify though: I'm already in HK now. Moved down a week ago. Have you both tried the NYU listserv? (not how I got my place, but there seemed to be a good number of listings there.)

NDIrish2012

Bronze

Post by NDIrish2012 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 am

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting one of the studio apartments in D'Ag, Mercer or Sullivan? I just got in off the waitlist so I missed the initial housing assignment... are my chances of getting a studio essentially nil?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 am

Ok, so I just got in off the waitlist, but my fiancee has been pretty against the idea of moving to NY all along. It's cool because I told her in the beginning that NYU and CLS are the two schools where she has ultimate veto power. To those that have already spent a lot of time in NY (and especially those that have spent time in Chicago as well) can anyone explain to me how much different NYC is culturally from the midwest? We're from suburban midwest, about 3.5 hours from Northwestern (where I'm deposited now), while NY is around 11 hours away. So the distance is an issue, but I think the major culture shock is what really concerns her. Any enlightenment you guys can share would be great, even if it's that I'd be making the right choice by sticking with Northwestern.

Piner

New

Post by Piner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 am

ssteiner wrote:You've already started applying for loans? They haven't sent me any info on that yet and I haven't begun the process...
Yep, signed my Master Promissory Notes and everything. Which is a bit of a financial shock, believe me.

Check the website, they have a pretty good walkthrough of the process.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:42 am

NDIrish2012 wrote:Does anyone know the likelihood of getting one of the studio apartments in D'Ag, Mercer or Sullivan? I just got in off the waitlist so I missed the initial housing assignment... are my chances of getting a studio essentially nil?
Probably zero.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Ok, so I just got in off the waitlist, but my fiancee has been pretty against the idea of moving to NY all along. It's cool because I told her in the beginning that NYU and CLS are the two schools where she has ultimate veto power. To those that have already spent a lot of time in NY (and especially those that have spent time in Chicago as well) can anyone explain to me how much different NYC is culturally from the midwest? We're from suburban midwest, about 3.5 hours from Northwestern (where I'm deposited now), while NY is around 11 hours away. So the distance is an issue, but I think the major culture shock is what really concerns her. Any enlightenment you guys can share would be great, even if it's that I'd be making the right choice by sticking with Northwestern.
have you visited the village with her? maybe spending a couple days there would help you two make a choice?

if she decides she doesn't like new york, i've also heard it's pretty easy to live in new jersey (hoboken or jersey city) and commute to nyu

good luck making a decision!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Piner wrote:
ssteiner wrote:You've already started applying for loans? They haven't sent me any info on that yet and I haven't begun the process...
Yep, signed my Master Promissory Notes and everything. Which is a bit of a financial shock, believe me.

Check the website, they have a pretty good walkthrough of the process.
You mind being a little more specific? Which website, where on the website, etc

Edit: From the Financial Aid FAQ -
"When should I apply for loans?
We recommend you begin the loan application process in late June/early July, after you receive our office’s loan application instructions. The loan application instructions will be sent to you by email. Applying before you receive the loan application instructions will not be desirable, as the Law School’s loan certification process will not begin until this period. Further, many lenders have a 90-day expiration window for when the loans must be disbursed to the educational institution. So, you risk having your loan application expire before obtaining school certification (if you apply too early)."

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Whoops. I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Whoops. I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will.
There are so many poorly chosen words in that sentence, Tobias.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Whoops. I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will.
There are so many poorly chosen words in that sentence, Tobias.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fiddler08

New

Post by Fiddler08 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I emailed the financial aid office this morning and they said that we'll receive more detailed loan information in mid-June. I'm sure that we can start the ball rolling early, but it doesn't seem like they expect us to...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:15 pm

got a 62.5K Dean's Scholly. This... complicates things

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 pm

k5220 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Ok, so I just got in off the waitlist, but my fiancee has been pretty against the idea of moving to NY all along. It's cool because I told her in the beginning that NYU and CLS are the two schools where she has ultimate veto power. To those that have already spent a lot of time in NY (and especially those that have spent time in Chicago as well) can anyone explain to me how much different NYC is culturally from the midwest? We're from suburban midwest, about 3.5 hours from Northwestern (where I'm deposited now), while NY is around 11 hours away. So the distance is an issue, but I think the major culture shock is what really concerns her. Any enlightenment you guys can share would be great, even if it's that I'd be making the right choice by sticking with Northwestern.
have you visited the village with her? maybe spending a couple days there would help you two make a choice?

if she decides she doesn't like new york, i've also heard it's pretty easy to live in new jersey (hoboken or jersey city) and commute to nyu

good luck making a decision!
this is a really good idea. I just looked at apartments in Jersey City, and they look really good and the commute isn't awful.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:got a 62.5K Dean's Scholly. This... complicates things
That's awesome! Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”