NYU Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
EstudianteDeDerecho

New

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Post by EstudianteDeDerecho » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:20 pm

indigomachine wrote:Haha, I was gonna jump in and say that I live in HK, and last I checked, Jam wasn't a huge fan, but didn't want to be presumptuous, in case the excellent diner options swayed you :P

(I'm also starting to think Williamsburg may be more fun to hang out in than HK... Maybe I'm just biased because I so rarely hang out in w/e neighborhood I live in though...)
I just moved to HK, so it gets my vote. I haven't been to Williamsburg yet (just got into the city). Any recommendations?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 pm

EstudianteDeDerecho wrote:
indigomachine wrote:Haha, I was gonna jump in and say that I live in HK, and last I checked, Jam wasn't a huge fan, but didn't want to be presumptuous, in case the excellent diner options swayed you :P

(I'm also starting to think Williamsburg may be more fun to hang out in than HK... Maybe I'm just biased because I so rarely hang out in w/e neighborhood I live in though...)
I just moved to HK, so it gets my vote. I haven't been to Williamsburg yet (just got into the city). Any recommendations?
Vinnie's Pizzeria on Bedford Ave. is one of my favorite in the city.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 am

Yeshia90 wrote:

Vinnie's Pizzeria on Bedford Ave. is one of my favorite in the city.
Feel free to ignore below if you were only asking about Williamsburg (which I basically only know has been cool whenever I go).

Also in our neighborhood (HK):

Epanada Mama is the equivalent of Mamouns, not in that it serves awesome falafel, but in all other respects, it's the late night, delicious food place. Open till 4AM and easy to keep the budget as low as you feel like (each epanada is about $2-$3 or so and each of them are pretty filling individually... though I totally downed 3 last time I was there).

My roomie likes Room Service for Thai (never been), and swears that the 2nd Yum Yum (there are 4 in a row... somewhat strange...) Thai is great (I think all four are pretty mediocre compared to other options like Klong in EV).

There's also approximately a gazillion bars in HK, but half or more of them are gay (great for me, but yeah... I'm a minority on that one). I think there's also a healthy number of irish pub type places nearby, among other standard-fare bars; I just haven't explored them.

There is a pretty good range of Italian options in the area, though they can be kind of pricey (but so are most Italian places in the city, so that's not really a HK outlier).

HK is kind of lacking in solid cafe options (which kind of blows), but the ACE takes you straight down to West Village where there's a ton of options, all within easy walking distance of the law school.

Other HK perks: bout a 10-15min walk North gets you to Central Park / Columbus Circle (as does a 5min trip on the ACE) and the same distance walking south gets you to the northern edge of the high line (which is awesome). Lots of plays due to being right near all the theaters, if that's your thing. Pretty close to all the main transportation due to proximity to Time Square and Port of Authority.

Downsides: Time Square is retardedly close and venturing even a little bit east of 9th when you're below 48-50ish lands you smack in the middle of annoying tourists (who also occasionally overflow into HK due to all the restaurant / theater options). Again, no real good cafe options in the area.

tl;dr: HK = gay bars and restaurants (maybe also irish pubs?) and not really a lot else, but really easy commute to other cool places / things. Tourists suck.

EstudianteDeDerecho

New

Post by EstudianteDeDerecho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks, both of you. I'm going to copy these into my phone so I have them. I just moved from California, so I still think of myself as a tourist, instead of finding them annoying. We'll see how quick that changes.

I'm not really big on bars, especially with my new debt load, but when I got here I was surprised that HK was less rough-and-tumble and more gayborhood. Bonus.

I'm thinking with all the restaurants around, we need an NYU student group to go out and try them on the school's dime. You know, practice for those dinners with clients or partners. It's job training, when you think about it. And therefore justified.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 am

EstudianteDeDerecho wrote:Thanks, both of you. I'm going to copy these into my phone so I have them. I just moved from California, so I still think of myself as a tourist, instead of finding them annoying.
Trust me, you will really quickly. I mean, I've been here about a week out of the past couple months and I'm already getting there. HK, in my opinion is cramped but incredibly convenient. If you're single, it's a great place, but if you're in a seriously committed relationship, married, have kids, like space and quiet, etc. it's probably not for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 am

EstudianteDeDerecho wrote:Thanks, both of you. I'm going to copy these into my phone so I have them. I just moved from California, so I still think of myself as a tourist, instead of finding them annoying. We'll see how quick that changes.

I'm not really big on bars, especially with my new debt load, but when I got here I was surprised that HK was less rough-and-tumble and more gayborhood. Bonus.

I'm thinking with all the restaurants around, we need an NYU student group to go out and try them on the school's dime. You know, practice for those dinners with clients or partners. It's job training, when you think about it. And therefore justified.
+1 to the bolded

Also, yeah, HK got a bad rep from its earlier years but has been progressively improving since the early 90's. It's totally safe at this point and really only as seedy as you want it to be.

Re bars/alcohol expenses: pregaming is TCR :P

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

indigomachine wrote:
EstudianteDeDerecho wrote:Thanks, both of you. I'm going to copy these into my phone so I have them. I just moved from California, so I still think of myself as a tourist, instead of finding them annoying. We'll see how quick that changes.

+1 to the bolded

Also, yeah, HK got a bad rep from its earlier years but has been progressively improving since the early 90's. It's totally safe at this point and really only as seedy as you want it to be.

Re bars/alcohol expenses: http://www.gotime.com/nyc/find/places/A ... n-New+York

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

+1 to the bolded

Re bars/alcohol expenses: http://www.gotime.com/nyc/find/places/A ... n-New+York
Ohh tyft. Forgot to re-ask you about the site hah. This will definitely be out in full force this semester :)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:23 pm

indigomachine wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

+1 to the bolded

Ohh tyft. Forgot to re-ask you about the site hah. This will definitely be out in full force this semester :)
I'm not liable for your impending alcohol-related death, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Does anyone know how we can get in contact with upperclassmen who want to sell their old books?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know how we can get in contact with upperclassmen who want to sell their old books?
through NYU home, go to the listservs and sign up for the one called Coases. Post what you need.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I fly out tonight, and I just got an email like an hour ago saying my immunization records aren't satisfactory and that I wouldn't be able to move into the residence. Fucking ridiculous. Just called my doctor to tell the office to fax it into them asap, and hopefully they process it by the time my redeye touches down, but this is ridiculous. Apparently they just straight scanned the scantran forms instead of reading what my doctor wrote, and they can't pull up those forms anymore... and I stupidly didn't make a copy of it. So dumb. They couldn't have told me last week? Geeez.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:07 pm

thelawyler wrote:I fly out tonight, and I just got an email like an hour ago saying my immunization records aren't satisfactory and that I wouldn't be able to move into the residence. Fucking ridiculous. Just called my doctor to tell the office to fax it into them asap, and hopefully they process it by the time my redeye touches down, but this is ridiculous. Apparently they just straight scanned the scantran forms instead of reading what my doctor wrote, and they can't pull up those forms anymore... and I stupidly didn't make a copy of it. So dumb. They couldn't have told me last week? Geeez.
are you sure thats the problem? Because i got the same email and it said it was unsatisfactory because i havent taken the mengicodal vaccine (apparently it is not a required vaccine in UG and you only take it after your 21 idn what the story with it is and why i never got it) but it was an easy fix. All i had to do was waive my rights to take that vacine and now im good. And now im going to make an apt with my doctor to get it to lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

thelawyler wrote:I fly out tonight, and I just got an email like an hour ago saying my immunization records aren't satisfactory and that I wouldn't be able to move into the residence. Fucking ridiculous. Just called my doctor to tell the office to fax it into them asap, and hopefully they process it by the time my redeye touches down, but this is ridiculous. Apparently they just straight scanned the scantran forms instead of reading what my doctor wrote, and they can't pull up those forms anymore... and I stupidly didn't make a copy of it. So dumb. They couldn't have told me last week? Geeez.
In my experience here so far, the immunization office sucks far more than any other. Probably has to do with the fact that it's a university wide office rather than one solely for the law school

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm

izy223 wrote:
are you sure thats the problem? Because i got the same email and it said it was unsatisfactory because i havent taken the mengicodal vaccine (apparently it is not a required vaccine in UG and you only take it after your 21 idn what the story with it is and why i never got it) but it was an easy fix. All i had to do was waive my rights to take that vacine and now im good. And now im going to make an apt with my doctor to get it to lol
+1 had the same issue and got the threatening email. Called to clarify the problem, then faxed the meningitis thing over. They also tried to tell me there something wrong with the MMR but that wasn't the case. Good luck!

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:24 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know how we can get in contact with upperclassmen who want to sell their old books?
through NYU home, go to the listservs and sign up for the one called Coases. Post what you need.
Thanks!

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Killingly wrote:
izy223 wrote:
+1 had the same issue and got the threatening email. Called to clarify the problem, then faxed the meningitis thing over. They also tried to tell me there something wrong with the MMR but that wasn't the case. Good luck!
Yeah it's the MMR thing. Seeing how important this is for a guy moving in tomorrow, I called immediately after getting the email about it on my smart phone, and of course I haven't memorized my NYU N-number yet so I couldn't tell the person on the phone what it was. I was then scolded by the person on the phone for not knowing it and that because there were too many people in the database that shared my first and last name, she wasn't going to go through all of the birthdates to see which one matched mine. It was unbelievable. I had to hang up, log into NYU Home, find it, and call back. 15 minute wait to talk to a rep each time. It was absolutely unbelievable.

I even told them that all the info was on the sheet, but because they only have the scanned in info and couldn't access the actual paper I mailed in, I had to get my doctor to resend it. And my doctor wasn't even the office today. Gotta say I am not impressed. Not at all. If they don't let me in tomorrow, shit is going to go down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Killingly wrote:
izy223 wrote:
Yeah it's the MMR thing. Seeing how important this is for a guy moving in tomorrow, I called immediately after getting the email about it on my smart phone, and of course I haven't memorized my NYU N-number yet so I couldn't tell the person on the phone what it was. I was then scolded by the person on the phone for not knowing it and that because there were too many people in the database that shared my first and last name, she wasn't going to go through all of the birthdates to see which one matched mine. It was unbelievable. I had to hang up, log into NYU Home, find it, and call back. 15 minute wait to talk to a rep each time. It was absolutely unbelievable.

I even told them that all the info was on the sheet, but because they only have the scanned in info and couldn't access the actual paper I mailed in, I had to get my doctor to resend it. And my doctor wasn't even the office today. Gotta say I am not impressed. Not at all. If they don't let me in tomorrow, shit is going to go down.
Your best bet is probably to go straight to the immunization office a few blocks away. Expect a line

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 pm

I scanned my forms and emailed them. A few hours later they told me I was in compliance. If it's not too late, maybe you could scan yours and send them in?

I don't trust bureaucracy (says The Future Lawyer).

EstudianteDeDerecho

New

Post by EstudianteDeDerecho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 pm

vincanity1 wrote:

That's awful. If you need a place to crash for the night we can probably work something out.

I agree talking to someone in person is probably your best bet, but another option is to get the MMR titer to prove you have immunity, and then give that to immunization. Or state records proving at least two vaccinations.

EstudianteDeDerecho

New

Post by EstudianteDeDerecho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

+1 to the bolded

That link will prove ruinous to my study habits. I can already tell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JAJAcinco

New

Post by JAJAcinco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 am

How accurately of a picture do the student faculty reviews on the NYU law website portray of the teachers? the comments for contracts w/epstein aren't particularly encouraging...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

+1 to the bolded

That link will prove ruinous to my study habits. I can already tell.
you're welcome

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

vincanity1 wrote:

That's awful. If you need a place to crash for the night we can probably work something out.

I agree talking to someone in person is probably your best bet, but another option is to get the MMR titer to prove you have immunity, and then give that to immunization. Or state records proving at least two vaccinations.
It worked out. They let me move in... even though my doctor called me while I was in the cab that she was just faxing the info over. The housing staff and immunization staff probably didn't even communicate on this issue at all.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 am

JAJAcinco wrote:How accurately of a picture do the student faculty reviews on the NYU law website portray of the teachers? the comments for contracts w/epstein aren't particularly encouraging...
If anything, I usually find them to be too generous. That said, Contracts with Epstein is an outlier. I feel like the people that bitched about him last year just wanted to complain about having Epstein. Contracts is confusing no matter what. Epstein at least keeps things interesting. I'd be more worried if I had Liam Murphy for Contracts...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”