NYU Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NYU Class of 2015

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 am

cashew wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm not in yet, but is the login for asw: Lxxxxxxxx and the password 00/00/1900 ?
No. I mean, maybe that's a workaround, but it's (LSAC account number) and (Date of birth)
right, I mean is that the way you enter it? without slashes and with the L
You gotta put the slashes in
that's what I thought. Thanks

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 am

Holy crap, Mercer and D'ag are expensive. I mean, I know it's New York, but jeez.

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:49 am

Yeshia90 wrote:Holy crap, Mercer and D'ag are expensive. I mean, I know it's New York, but jeez.
I hear that. I feel like I'm watching my money float away and I haven't even paid for anything yet.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 am

Housing is tres expensive dans le Village.

A know a good number of NYU 1Ls and others who live in less "trendy" places. Murray Hill and Hell's Kitchen comes to mind. Have you guys started to look into those places? Murray Hill has a lot of young students turn young professional, and if you go more to the east of the neighborhood, you're in "Curry Hill." Yumm!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:14 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Housing is tres expensive dans le Village.

A know a good number of NYU 1Ls and others who live in less "trendy" places. Murray Hill and Hell's Kitchen comes to mind. Have you guys started to look into those places? Murray Hill has a lot of young students turn young professional, and if you go more to the east of the neighborhood, you're in "Curry Hill." Yumm!
For at least the first year, I'm pretty sure I'll live in the NYU housing. The way I see it, getting good grades is going to be the chief priority 1L, and the proximity to classes and the library is going to allow me to use my time more efficiently. I'm not saying I wouldn't do well if I lived elsewhere, but if we're talking about getting a job that pays $160K your first year, a couple hundred a month difference isn't really worth it (especially since my family is splitting housing with me). Plus, how much easier is this than digging through a million Craigslist postings?

Although I do love Indian food...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:Housing is tres expensive dans le Village.

For at least the first year, I'm pretty sure I'll live in the NYU housing. The way I see it, getting good grades is going to be the chief priority 1L, and the proximity to classes and the library is going to allow me to use my time more efficiently. I'm not saying I wouldn't do well if I lived elsewhere, but if we're talking about getting a job that pays $160K your first year, a couple hundred a month difference isn't really worth it (especially since my family is splitting housing with me). Plus, how much easier is this than digging through a million Craigslist postings?

Although I do love Indian food...
Yeah, as a non-New Yorker and someone not close enough to NYC to just head over and check things out without a lot of planning ahead, the thought of trying to find a place to live without really being familiar with the city (outside of visiting it) scares the living shit out of me. I think I'll just resign myself to the convenience of law school housing for my 1L year. A mountain of debt is still a mountain of debt at the end of the day.... :|

weismanc

New

Post by weismanc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

cashew wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Holy crap, Mercer and D'ag are expensive. I mean, I know it's New York, but jeez.
I hear that. I feel like I'm watching my money float away and I haven't even paid for anything yet.
Where do you guys see the prices? I have been looking around the website but can't find price per month.

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:23 pm

weismanc wrote:
cashew wrote:
Where do you guys see the prices? I have been looking around the website but can't find price per month.
http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Sidenote for anyone freaking about apartments: my best friend and I lived in NYC two summers ago (will probably be doing so again for grad), so if people want some advice on places to live, I'd be happy to advise at least in some limited capacity :)

FWIW we're angling for east village / union. The 2 br apts don't look too bad in terms of split cost. Especially by comparison to NYU pricing x_x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm

dang it is lonely in this thread

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm confuse. Wasn't there supposedly a second wave of ED admits besides us 12/06ers? Where's everyone?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:I'm confuse. Wasn't there supposedly a second wave of ED admits besides us 12/06ers? Where's everyone?
I just posted in the main thread, but I honestly don't think anyone is going to hear until next Tuesday. Seems to be the day for NYU this year.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 pm

indigomachine wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:I'm confuse. Wasn't there supposedly a second wave of ED admits besides us 12/06ers? Where's everyone?
I just posted in the main thread, but I honestly don't think anyone is going to hear until next Tuesday. Seems to be the day for NYU this year.
Yeah I saw that. and I agree with you. NYU seems to be doing things differently this year, and I like it!!! :)

I love that they a) gave decisions to EDers first and b) called us!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
Yeah I saw that. and I agree with you. NYU seems to be doing things differently this year, and I like it!!! :)

OMG THIS!^^^

Sorry... overexcited, but I feel exactly the same way. I remember pre-griping just a week ago about how NYU's admissions process seemed to be the trolliest of the trolls based on last year ("decision letter sent" with no follow-up and RD kids in before the first wave of EDs). I remember hearing about other schools giving their admits calls and thinking "wouldn't that be nice" haha. Definitely very happy with the new process. Of course, we're both a little biased ;)

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:58 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

and c) called us in particular

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 pm

cashew wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

+1

The dates for ED admits (specifically, the dates the EDers submitted apps) seem all over the place. I wonder how they decided who would be in the first wave of admits. I remember reading somewhere that NYU goes through applications based on numbers first.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
+1

The dates for ED admits (specifically, the dates the EDers submitted apps) seem all over the place. I wonder how they decided who would be in the first wave of admits. I remember reading somewhere that NYU goes through applications based on numbers first.
Not sure. Feel like it doesn't totally make sense because my LSAT is 25th percentile and GPA is close but not at the 75th percentile. Feel like that makes me pretty middle of the road in a strict numbers sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:39 pm

cashew wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

d) called me firstest

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

indigomachine wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
+1

Not sure. Feel like it doesn't totally make sense because my LSAT is 25th percentile and GPA is close but not at the 75th percentile. Feel like that makes me pretty middle of the road in a strict numbers sense.
Same here. My LSAT is slightly above median, and GPA is way below 25%. Maybe we're NYU's precious special snowflakes?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:48 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
+1

Same here. My LSAT is slightly above median, and GPA is way below 25%. Maybe we're NYU's precious special snowflakes?
I have been wondering that myself. Not that I'm not completely FLOORED that we were accepted so much earlier, but really- why us? Any ideas?

cashew

New

Post by cashew » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:50 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
+1

I have been wondering that myself. Not that I'm not completely FLOORED that we were accepted so much earlier, but really- why us? Any ideas?
I keep asking myself that question, and all I can come up with is, "They love us!! THEY REALLY LOVE US!!"

then i do a quick dance

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:05 pm

The only thing I can really say is that my PS and DS were very consistent with one another and I think my PS was decently unique with a non-auto-piloted why NYU at the conclusion. I think it was pretty obvious from my app that they really were my first choice and I wasn't just ED'ing to boost my chances (since they themselves claim there's no real benefit other than early notification.) That and I had 3 very different recommenders who all know me really well (think 20+ hours of work per week for 2 of them and ninety-zillion one on one meetings with the third)

edit: that aside, I also am plagued by the random bursts of a compulsive need to happy-dance in public :oops:

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:16 pm

I too randomly burst into some quick dancing. Something makes me think we all would get a long very well together. :) And folks, this is one of the reasons why I applied ED to NYU.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:I too randomly burst into some quick dancing. Something makes me think we all would get a long very well together. :) And folks, this is one of the reasons why I applied ED to NYU.
^This^

Dance party when we all get to NYC? Dance party w/ drinks?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:38 pm

indigomachine wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:I too randomly burst into some quick dancing. Something makes me think we all would get a long very well together. :) And folks, this is one of the reasons why I applied ED to NYU.
^This^

Dance party when we all get to NYC? Dance party w/ drinks?
I fist-pumped repeatedly. Tiger Woods-style, not as in the "Jersey Shore" fist pumping. Then started blasting every New York related song in my iTunes. And called everyone I knew.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”