UVA Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
FloridaCoastalorbust

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:08 pm

My impressions of UVA remain generally unchanged after ASW. It is laid back (a bit oxymoronic - a laid back law school, I know), healthily mixed with professionals and K-JDs, somewhat fratty, and quite collegial.

@thelawschoolproject, remember that all of our experiences are anecdotal. The majority of the people I met were experienced professionals who were mature but out to have a good time. This was also true at the bar review with current students. I will also speak to the friendliness of the administration, as Dean Richard offered to let me keep my luggage in her office for the day, and I saw Dugas enjoying beers with several students throughout the day. But again, YMMV with individual experiences at ASW.

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 pm

I thought the people at UVA were awesome personally. I'm definitely not a "bro" or a fratty fellow either. Many of them were but they were still quite friendly (students and prospectives alike). I will give you that the BBQ was a little awkward...they coulda done that better. But other than that I enjoyed the weekend.

Also I wouldn't worry about students being "young"...that'll be the case at any school save Northwestern (and unless you are married and an old fart who wants to go there anyway? jk ofc....maybe).

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:My impressions of UVA remain generally unchanged after ASW. It is laid back (a bit oxymoronic - a laid back law school, I know), healthily mixed with professionals and K-JDs, somewhat fratty, and quite collegial.

@thelawschoolproject, remember that all of our experiences are anecdotal. The majority of the people I met were experienced professionals who were mature but out to have a good time. This was also true at the bar review with current students. I will also speak to the friendliness of the administration, as Dean Richard offered to let me keep my luggage in her office for the day, and I saw Dugas enjoying beers with several students throughout the day. But again, YMMV with individual experiences at ASW.

And it's important to remember you'll never see the admissions staff again after you attend.

When going to these ASW's you always try to figure out what sets them apart from peer schools (since employment prospects/scholly awards are likely close to equal). I generally agree the crowd seems "younger" though not necessarily in the sense of age, and everyone seemed more chill. This would set them apart from some peer schools, but not all. That said, I was only there for a small portion of the events.

Also, I think it's not a good idea to judge a school by how "happy" everyone seems to be. Nobody's going to come up to you and say how miserable they are. And nobody will admit they are miserable if you ask them if they like the school. The happiest people will the be most visible.

ETA: I'd also echo the sentiments expressed earlier about the quality housing you can get for very affordable rates. I already knew that before visiting, but it's nice to see it in person.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:42 pm

We need more

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:How old are you? I thought everyone was very mature and incredibly welcoming. I met and spoke with tons of friendly people. At these kind of things you need to be friendly and outgoing. It sounds like you came in with a little but of a chip on your shoulder when you realized how young everyone was and how nice (or bubbly) everyone was. Yes it's a completely different group than Chicago, but that's why I love it. I like that the place seemed to be filled with exciting, young and happy people. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your time but I guess everyone has different wants and needs. This is exactly what ASWs are for. It helped me be happy and positive that I will be at UVA next year and it helped you decide that you will be attending a different university. So it did it's job for all of us.

Bhahaha.

I'm 24, and I in no way came with a "chip" on my shoulder. I was legitimately considering attending UVA. In fact, I was excited for the ASW. I left feeling very disatisfied, but I didn't come ITT and start insulting people. I gave a fair and objective summary of my experience and interpretations AFTER being asked to go into detail. But if you want to continue with your bullshit, go ahead. I'm game.

dakure

Postby dakure » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm

chem

Postby chem » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 pm

dakure wrote:Image

Beat me to it

Just barely

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:How old are you? I thought everyone was very mature and incredibly welcoming. I met and spoke with tons of friendly people. At these kind of things you need to be friendly and outgoing. It sounds like you came in with a little but of a chip on your shoulder when you realized how young everyone was and how nice (or bubbly) everyone was. Yes it's a completely different group than Chicago, but that's why I love it. I like that the place seemed to be filled with exciting, young and happy people. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your time but I guess everyone has different wants and needs. This is exactly what ASWs are for. It helped me be happy and positive that I will be at UVA next year and it helped you decide that you will be attending a different university. So it did it's job for all of us.

Bhahaha.

I'm 24, and I in no way came with a "chip" on my shoulder. I was legitimately considering attending UVA. In fact, I was excited for the ASW. I left feeling very disatisfied, but I didn't come ITT and start insulting people. I gave a fair and objective summary of my experience and interpretations AFTER being asked to go into detail. But if you want to continue with your bullshit, go ahead. I'm game.

alicecarroll

Postby alicecarroll » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
What didn't you like besides the alumni dude? This weekend made me so happy that I will be in Charlottesville in the fall!

I mean...I feel like I kind of answered this already, but here's more information:

My overall impression of the law school was that it was very young. By that I mean the student body did not come across as mature to me. Many prospectives brought their parents with them. Moreover, the prospectives I met were not very friendly. And, as someone who was looking at the other prospectives as future classmates, I was concerned. Additionally, I was not impressed with the behavior of the current students either. They were young and I'll give them bubbly, but not what I'm looking for in terms of peers. I was much more satisfied with the students I met at other ASWs.

Also, the staff was off-putting. When I arrived, they were not friendly. They were not personable. And this, above all other things was disconcerting for me. And, it remained this way on Thursday AND Friday. Although, I will concede that my mock class professor and the people from career services were fantastic.

Hi--I think I've posted like 5 times since I started school, but thought I could respond to this. I'm a current student and I had this very same worry before I came. I'm a little bit older and definitely had the impression that I would be somewhat alone in that fact after ASW last year--but I was wrong. There are plenty of students in their late-twenties to mid-thirties here. Every section has a really good mix of different personalities and ages. I'm not the least bit "fratty" and I've definitely found my place here. The "bubbly" ones are generally the personality types that apply for the tour guide positions and ASW organizer positions. They are more visible to prospective students, but definitely don't completely dominate the culture here.

The best thing about UVA is that there is a wide range of personalities here, but everyone is kind and supportive. If I miss class, people notice that I am gone and send me notes without me even having to ask. I didn't have a big connection with the admissions staff, but as someone else pointed out--you don't see them again. The faculty here is amazing and all of my professors have shown not just an interest in me understanding the material, but an interest in me as a person. When I was sick and couldn't come to class one day, one of my professors told me to call her if there was anything that I needed and then followed up with me after the next class to see how I was feeling. This was a 100 person class. The take your professor to lunch program fosters a great student-faculty relationship as well. The quality of teaching is phenomenal. All I can say, is good luck in teaching yourself Con Law if you go to a school that stresses research and publication over quality of teaching.

I'm not trying to convince you to come, just trying to allay any fears of people who were excited to come to UVA, but didn't make it to ASW. The students and faculty create an intellectually challenging (i.e. law school is hard, and UVA Law isn't any different in that respect), but extremely supportive environment.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for your post Alice.

I did really enjoy the faculty-member who instructed our mock class. I would be thrilled to have him as a professor. Additionally, there was another faculty-member who gave a talk on a specific type of law who I found to be brilliant and fascinating. I was impressed by the faculty. And I really appreciate your viewpoint and you taking the time to alleviate some of my (and other TLSers') fears.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:24 pm

The crowd looked a bit younger than I expected, but when I actually talked to some of the prospective students I found out that people I thought were my age (early 20's) were actually 27,28, etc. Guess I'm just a bad judge of age.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 am

alicecarroll wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
What didn't you like besides the alumni dude? This weekend made me so happy that I will be in Charlottesville in the fall!

I mean...I feel like I kind of answered this already, but here's more information:

My overall impression of the law school was that it was very young. By that I mean the student body did not come across as mature to me. Many prospectives brought their parents with them. Moreover, the prospectives I met were not very friendly. And, as someone who was looking at the other prospectives as future classmates, I was concerned. Additionally, I was not impressed with the behavior of the current students either. They were young and I'll give them bubbly, but not what I'm looking for in terms of peers. I was much more satisfied with the students I met at other ASWs.

Also, the staff was off-putting. When I arrived, they were not friendly. They were not personable. And this, above all other things was disconcerting for me. And, it remained this way on Thursday AND Friday. Although, I will concede that my mock class professor and the people from career services were fantastic.

Hi--I think I've posted like 5 times since I started school, but thought I could respond to this. I'm a current student and I had this very same worry before I came. I'm a little bit older and definitely had the impression that I would be somewhat alone in that fact after ASW last year--but I was wrong. There are plenty of students in their late-twenties to mid-thirties here. Every section has a really good mix of different personalities and ages. I'm not the least bit "fratty" and I've definitely found my place here. The "bubbly" ones are generally the personality types that apply for the tour guide positions and ASW organizer positions. They are more visible to prospective students, but definitely don't completely dominate the culture here.

The best thing about UVA is that there is a wide range of personalities here, but everyone is kind and supportive. If I miss class, people notice that I am gone and send me notes without me even having to ask. I didn't have a big connection with the admissions staff, but as someone else pointed out--you don't see them again. The faculty here is amazing and all of my professors have shown not just an interest in me understanding the material, but an interest in me as a person. When I was sick and couldn't come to class one day, one of my professors told me to call her if there was anything that I needed and then followed up with me after the next class to see how I was feeling. This was a 100 person class. The take your professor to lunch program fosters a great student-faculty relationship as well. The quality of teaching is phenomenal. All I can say, is good luck in teaching yourself Con Law if you go to a school that stresses research and publication over quality of teaching.

I'm not trying to convince you to come, just trying to allay any fears of people who were excited to come to UVA, but didn't make it to ASW. The students and faculty create an intellectually challenging (i.e. law school is hard, and UVA Law isn't any different in that respect), but extremely supportive environment.

Thanks for this.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

Lol @ these shitty t-shirts they gave us. By far the worst of any other school I've been to so far.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Are they sending our travel subsidies to our permanent or temporary addresses? I'm still in undergrad and concerned that the check will arrive after I've graduated.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Lol @ these shitty t-shirts they gave us. By far the worst of any other school I've been to so far.

the_littlest_viking

Postby the_littlest_viking » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I was gonna go to UVA but then Thomas Cooley offered me this kickass t-shirt.

Xaintes

Postby Xaintes » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 pm

the_littlest_viking wrote:I was gonna go to UVA but then Thomas Cooley offered me this kickass t-shirt.

QFE

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm

*crickets*

chem

Postby chem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 pm

t14fanboy wrote:*crickets*

All the action is on the facebook page

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 pm

chem wrote:

Sigh. And I get enough crap already for being the only one in a 20 mile radius without a facebook account.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm

t14fanboy wrote:
chem wrote:

Sigh. And I get enough crap already for being the only one in a 20 mile radius without a facebook account.

I met someone at ASW without a facebook account. Must be you.

t14fanboy

Postby t14fanboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 pm

:oops: Or maybe one of the other cool kids.

the_littlest_viking

Postby the_littlest_viking » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 am

My request to join the FB group still hasn't been granted. Surprise twist: I was not actually accepted.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 am

the_littlest_viking wrote:My request to join the FB group still hasn't been granted. Surprise twist: I was not actually accepted.

I haven't been granted permission for the official one either. Oh well. Probably because I eail every two weeks renewing my interest in more scholly money

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 am

chem wrote:
the_littlest_viking wrote:My request to join the FB group still hasn't been granted. Surprise twist: I was not actually accepted.

I haven't been granted permission for the official one either. Oh well. Probably because I eail every two weeks renewing my interest in more scholly money

It took something like a month for me to be added to the official one. I'm pretty sure it's because its run by Dugas and the other admissions officers, who probably don't go on facebook very often. The unofficial one run by a prospective student is understandably updated much faster.

P.S. In terms of your attempts to get more scholly money, do you have a higher offer from somewhere else that you're pointing to or are you just asking for more? Not asking to be snarky, but for my own situation.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”