UVA Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
lovejopd

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Post by lovejopd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:09 am

Congrats to all who got accepted!

Would you guys please update your LSN account regarding your acceptance for future Virginia Students~

I just found it very informative for other ED applicants! :D

Dinho

New

Post by Dinho » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 pm

I got my acceptance package today and it's awesome. The page featuring the American Association of State Climatologists rating Charlottesville the #1 Best Climate on the East Coast was an amusing inclusion.

I'm preparing for next fall by watching the UVA - UNC game right now and I'm pretty excited to have D1 athletics to watch

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Dinho wrote:I got my acceptance package today and it's awesome. The page featuring the American Association of State Climatologists rating Charlottesville the #1 Best Climate on the East Coast was an amusing inclusion.

I'm preparing for next fall by watching the UVA - UNC game right now and I'm pretty excited to have D1 athletics to watch
Congrats! I just got mine yesterday, and I thought the same thing about the climate page. Also watching this game -- as of last week, I switched my ACC allegiance from UNC to UVA. Go Wahoos!

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Walt15 wrote:This is way to early to even be considering, but it could be a good place to start discussion. Has anyone considered housing options yet? Xaintes- I've imagined you've been through the whole process already, any advice on a housing timeline? I'm definitely going to try and get down to Charlottesville one weekend this fall.
I've started looking but a lot of landlords have told me to get back with them in the Spring. I know some of the best housing goes super early though... The Jeffersonian is popular and starts a waiting list Jan 1 or something. I'm looking for something a little bigger even if it's a bit farther from campus.

When are you thinking of visiting?

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

I just looked and the Ivy accepts applications now, but you don't get offered a spot until april. it is also kind of weird because you have to give them a check with your first months security deposit when you apply, so they get alot of float before you even know if you have a place for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

easye25

New

Post by easye25 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:16 pm

So now that I have been accepted, how do I go about finding a roommate/housing options?

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 pm

easye25 wrote:So now that I have been accepted, how do I go about finding a roommate/housing options?
Congratulations!! I was wondering the same thing. Looking through past threads it seems like 1Ls tend to live in the Ivy or the Jeffersonian, and meet roommates other in the Facebook group (pretty empty at this point) or here on TLS, but I think it might still be a little while before more people start looking for roommates.

easye25

New

Post by easye25 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:05 am

easye25 wrote:Congratulations!! I was wondering the same thing. Looking through past threads it seems like 1Ls tend to live in the Ivy or the Jeffersonian, and meet roommates other in the Facebook group (pretty empty at this point) or here on TLS, but I think it might still be a little while before more people start looking for roommates.
Thanks you too! Any idea on a good timeline for the search. For some reason I feel like I need to get things done as soon as possible--but maybe thats just my anxiety speaking.

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:39 am

The Jeffersonian releases a lease application on Dec 31/Jan 1 each year, and they fill a wait list extremely quickly. Ivy is a little farther from the law school, but there are more units in that complex so you have more time to figure that one out, although I've read the process for placing deposits, etc is a little weird. There are a number of other places I've heard recommended by students, but most 1Ls live somewhere on Arlington, like the Jeffersonian, or else in Ivy. Either way, we have some time to figure things out and there's no reason to feel any more anxiety - you're in! - especially since there aren't a lot of other admitted students you're racing for the best housing at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey congrats everyone.

I'm UVA Class of 2015 too, and interested in getting a roommate at either of those two buildings - might head down to c-ville earlier.

I've been debating the pros and cons of doing a roommate, and if the personalities click I think it'd just be positive for my 1L performance.

I am very laid back, but take work very seriously. I do smoke cigarettes, but can just take that outside. It'd also be nice if potentially I'd have someone to workout with. I've gotten into really awesome shape since law schools apps, and finances have become stable (able to run 10-15 miles at an 8 min pace up from 3 miles at a 10 min pace), and feel really good-fitness really improves quality of life. However, I do tend to drop the whole uber-fitness thing when real life stress comes up so it'd be nice to have someone to work out with, and keep each other motivated. I am very socially liberal and patient with people, and into fashion, but get along better with wall st. types than hipsters prob cause of values.

I am very independent and don't mind competition, but am not a dick and will never put getting ahead above my character/morals, and it'd be nice to have kind of a buddy to succeed with, though I'm sure everyone is hoping for this.

Random q's as well:

Does UVA include gym memberships?

How important is a car? May have choice b/w finishing off UG debt or buying a car.

What apartments other than the Ivy and Jeffersonian are there? I don't think an extra 5 minute walk here or there will influence my 1L performance.

When I visited Charlottesville, everyone was super friendly both on the street and in the law school in a way that I am not used to so I feel as though even if I came down super early I can probably make new friends. However, it seemed that the girls are much friendlier than guys, but maybe that was just my experience. Would def. like to meet people to watch football with.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Also, what if someone would prefer working in Georgia or Florida over NYC/DC? Is job placement easier? Personally, I would be happy in NYC/DC, but these wouldn't be my first choices. I only have ties to these cities, though. I chose UVa, because C-ville is awesome, the school has good values and I don't trust the job placement of any GA and FL school.

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I can't help you on the roommate front, but I've searched through some of the previous c/o threads and the 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls answering questions, and it seemed the consensus was that you don't need a car if you live in the Jeffersonian or anywhere else along Arlington, as that area is closer to grocery stores, etc, though of course that also seemed a personal choice, with some posters saying they wouldn't go without one, and others saying it's really not necessary. I've been doing some research myself and there are a couple of much nicer places with better amenities out there, but all of those would require a car just to get to the law school. Also, I believe a gym membership is included.

I can't speak to markets in GA and FL, but I think you've probably made a good choice selecting UVA over a lower-ranked school with weak job placement. At-median at one of the state schools in either place will make your life a lot more difficult than at-median at UVA. I'm interested in DC if I can get it, but I'm also interested in a smaller home market without a T-14 in the area, and from what I can tell, UVA and other T-14s place just fine even in the more distant markets provided you have strong grades and local ties.

Also, congrats!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks. Financially a car may not be necessary then. Grayhound is grimy, but cheaper than gas to visit my family in NJ, and if I get a cheap car for 10-20k, I'd probably wanna get rid of it if I got big law. I do like going to the beach and hiking, but won't have time anyway. Also, this may be paranoid, but I feel driving may bring c plus f risks as while bad choices are made while drinking. How far is the grocery store from these two places, and how cold does it get? Lastly, how far is the gym from these 2 places? I might buy a treadmill if I'll be by my place for 3 yrs, and the gym is far. It sounds bad, but I have definitely noticed a link b/w people I know from top 10s and placement with looks. When I don't have 8 percent body fat my face gets pockets of fat so fitness is very important to me. I am sure I'm generalizing somewhat from a small sample size, but I don't wanna take amy chances!

Thanks so much I'll check out those posts! When I do move to C-ville, first round is on me for all TLSers!!

Regarding placement, I have noticed that the quality of life is pretty solid in any American city, and NYC is very hard to relax in so I'd like to go where the weather is nice, and the COL is low. I am also unmarried with a girlfriend of like 9 months who encouraged me to do ED UVa (which I would've done anyway from advise from random firms I called who were real nice and my bleh numbers) talking about how great it was. So she'd likely join me anywhere or if not, it wasn't meant to be. I don't want to let love influence my ability to secure gainful employment, and be able to support that love down the road so I'd go wherever I can provide the best for my family, and eat well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Hey congrats everyone.

I'm UVA Class of 2015 too, and interested in getting a roommate at either of those two buildings - might head down to c-ville earlier.

I've been debating the pros and cons of doing a roommate, and if the personalities click I think it'd just be positive for my 1L performance.

I am very laid back, but take work very seriously. I do smoke cigarettes, but can just take that outside. It'd also be nice if potentially I'd have someone to workout with. I've gotten into really awesome shape since law schools apps, and finances have become stable (able to run 10-15 miles at an 8 min pace up from 3 miles at a 10 min pace), and feel really good-fitness really improves quality of life. However, I do tend to drop the whole uber-fitness thing when real life stress comes up so it'd be nice to have someone to work out with, and keep each other motivated. I am very socially liberal and patient with people, and into fashion, but get along better with wall st. types than hipsters prob cause of values.

I am very independent and don't mind competition, but am not a dick and will never put getting ahead above my character/morals, and it'd be nice to have kind of a buddy to succeed with, though I'm sure everyone is hoping for this.
Hey looks like there is a facebook group, you might be able to put up requests for roommates in there, although it is pretty small (early in the cycle)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/166950506725150/

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:51 pm

There's also this one:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204227316298315/

It has even fewer people in it, though, and is run by the admissions office. Will probably be good for getting updates on things like ASW, but is probably not the ideal place to post roommate inquiries, especially with the other group available.

Xaintes

New

Post by Xaintes » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 pm

There is not nearly enough people talking in this thread, haha.

Anyone else counting down the days until they can quit their job?

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Agreed. It's super quiet in here compared to previous cycles, from what I can tell.
I'm still in undergrad. I just have zero motivation now haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

planQ

Bronze

Post by planQ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Xaintes wrote:There is not nearly enough people talking in this thread, haha.

Haha yeah, although more so until I get to lovely UVA!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

planQ wrote:
Xaintes wrote:There is not nearly enough people talking in this thread, haha.

Haha yeah, although more so until I get to lovely UVA!
I'd come down now but don't know anyone! I figure I could bartend, as the COL is prob 1,500 a month max, which I could have working from the house and bartending, but I'd have no friends :-(

easye25

New

Post by easye25 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 am

Seneca wrote:Agreed. It's super quiet in here compared to previous cycles, from what I can tell.
I'm still in undergrad. I just have zero motivation now haha
Exactly, I have a midterm and a senior thesis so I really shouldn't be slacking but I can't bring myself to do any work.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:20 am

When I have more time I'll swing back in and comment on housing, some employment stuff, and cars. For now, if you live in the Jeffersonian or anywhere on Arlington a car is not necessary at all. If you live in Ivy, it's kind of far to the grocery store but still doable without a car. In regards to housing it's not even on the radar yet, don't worry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:44 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:When I have more time I'll swing back in and comment on housing, some employment stuff, and cars. For now, if you live in the Jeffersonian or anywhere on Arlington a car is not necessary at all. If you live in Ivy, it's kind of far to the grocery store but still doable without a car. In regards to housing it's not even on the radar yet, don't worry.
Agreed -- it's really much too early to be worrying about housing as of yet. Jeffersonian needs to be considered for its January 1 waitlist, but you have a few more months for that. You can put your name down for a 2 BR by yoursel, I think, and find a roommate later. Trust me, you won't have any problem finding one, because the vast majority of incoming 1Ls will have gotten in after January 1.

Re: cars. Joeshmo is correct again. Jeffersonian/Arlington makes a car unnecessary. Ivy it's somewhat more difficult, but still possible. The University bus system makes it a lot easier. From the front door of Harris Teeter to the bus stop (directly in front of Buffalo Wild Wings) is about a 1 minute walk. The bus departs from there every 10 minutes, on the 10 minute mark (i.e. leaves at 4:00 pm, 4:10, 4:20, 4:30, 4:40, 4:50, 5pm) on weekdays, every 20 minutes on weekends. It's free, and you don't even have to show your ID.

If you get off at Faulkner Housing, it's just to the side of Ivy Gardens, and you can walk right up. Depending on where you live in Ivy, it'll be roughly a 5 minute walk, which isn't bad at all -- just about the same as living in Jeffersonian, if you live in an Ivy apt. closest to the law school (highly recommended).

hzp

New

Post by hzp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey folks. I haven't even applied yet, but I'll share some information on Charlottesville in general. There are a couple websites that might be helpful if you are looking for housing. I think places near the University get rented out super early, but it may be different for places near the school of law.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/insider/intro.htm
http://www.brac.com/

reallytallkid9

New

Post by reallytallkid9 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Just got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!!

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:01 pm

reallytallkid9 wrote:Just got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!! See you in C'ville!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”