UVA Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
citykitty

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Postby citykitty » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

i'm driving

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:16 pm

citykitty wrote:i'm driving

In! Won't be able to make it to ASW (I have debate nationals). Is there another weekend that is desirable over others?

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Couldve sworn I posted in here already.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Any other people who have gotten into UVA and UPenn? Still waiting on Berkeley but if it comes down to those two schools I don't know which one to pick. I'm leaning kinda on UVA because I think Charlottesville would be a cool place to go to law school for three years but I'm attracted to the smaller class sizes at UPenn. I also 100% know I want to go to California after I graduate and am not sure which place is better for that.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Aspen wrote:Any other people who have gotten into UVA and UPenn? Still waiting on Berkeley but if it comes down to those two schools I don't know which one to pick. I'm leaning kinda on UVA because I think Charlottesville would be a cool place to go to law school for three years but I'm attracted to the smaller class sizes at UPenn. I also 100% know I want to go to California after I graduate and am not sure which place is better for that.

I would say they are pretty equal is all placement. I have HEARD that UVA places better in CA/TX and Penn places better in NYC. But I dont think the difference would be a reason to choose either. Have u visited Penn and UVA? The choice was obvious for me after the 2 visits lol

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Aspen wrote:Any other people who have gotten into UVA and UPenn? Still waiting on Berkeley but if it comes down to those two schools I don't know which one to pick. I'm leaning kinda on UVA because I think Charlottesville would be a cool place to go to law school for three years but I'm attracted to the smaller class sizes at UPenn. I also 100% know I want to go to California after I graduate and am not sure which place is better for that.

I would say they are pretty equal is all placement. I have HEARD that UVA places better in CA/TX and Penn places better in NYC. But I dont think the difference would be a reason to choose either. Have u visited Penn and UVA? The choice was obvious for me after the 2 visits lol

I visited UVA yesterday for the first time. I randomly drove down. The campus/town seemed kinda deserted but my friends there told me it's only a Sunday thing. The law school campus looked nice but it was a different vibe than what I saw at Berkeley. Have you visited on a more lively day? What did you not like about Penn? I haven't visited there yet.

CobraCO

Postby CobraCO » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Aspen wrote:

I visited UVA yesterday for the first time. I randomly drove down. The campus/town seemed kinda deserted but my friends there told me it's only a Sunday thing. The law school campus looked nice but it was a different vibe than what I saw at Berkeley. Have you visited on a more lively day? What did you not like about Penn? I haven't visited there yet.

I'm in Philly now on a long-term work assignment, and it's, well, Philly. It's a big city that has a lot to offer, like any other east coast city. I think the students at UPenn are going to primarily be commuters, whereas UVa has a more distinct law school community. Also, UVa has the proximity to DC if you want the big, cosmopolitan city on the weekend, but you won't be surrounded by it at all times like you would be at UPenn.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:45 pm

If you know 100% you want California I think maybe you should look at UCLA and USC barring a Boalt acceptance...

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:19 pm

barneytrouble wrote:

If you know 100% you want California I think maybe you should look at UCLA and USC barring a Boalt acceptance...

I met with some alums from my undergraduate in the Bay Area who are now attorneys (at MoFo and K&L Gates). They unanimously said it was a better decision to suck it up at a Top 10 East Coast school for 3 years and come back to the Bay Area market than to go to lesser ranked schools like UCLA and USC. That's definitely not scientific though so maybe I should have done that in retrospect...

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Has anyone heard about hosts yet? When can we expect to hear?

CobraCO

Postby CobraCO » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Aspen wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:

I met with some alums from my undergraduate in the Bay Area who are now attorneys (at MoFo and K&L Gates). They unanimously said it was a better decision to suck it up at a Top 10 East Coast school for 3 years and come back to the Bay Area market than to go to lesser ranked schools like UCLA and USC. That's definitely not scientific though so maybe I should have done that in retrospect...

According to the Career Services email sent to us today, 63 graduates from the classes of 2008-2010 went to California markets. Thirty three of those went to San Francisco.

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 pm

I was also accepted last week. Right now my top two options are Cornell and UVA. That could change depending on the responses of the schools I haven't heard back from or have been held/waitlisted at.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Just RSVP'd to the ASW and am really looking forward to going down there. Have heard only good things about Charlottesville.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Aspen wrote:

I haven't heard back from Penn yet, but I've thought about making that decision if accepted and I would say UVA. The main reasons are 1) way less competitive (B+ curve and no class rank) 2) location 3) I've heard from an alum that the UVA professors are really accessible. They are in Charlottesville because they want to be around UVA, while professors in bigger cities may be a bit more distracted. I'm sure you'll be happy and competitive in the San Fran market with whichever school you end up choosing.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:31 pm

theduffman wrote:
Aspen wrote:

I haven't heard back from Penn yet, but I've thought about making that decision if accepted and I would say UVA. The main reasons are 1) way less competitive (B+ curve and no class rank) 2) location 3) I've heard from an alum that the UVA professors are really accessible. They are in Charlottesville because they want to be around UVA, while professors in bigger cities may be a bit more distracted. I'm sure you'll be happy and competitive in the San Fran market with whichever school you end up choosing.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Did any of you other admitted peeps also get a nice handwritten note on the admission letter?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can read anything into it (like potentially asking for a scholarship).

Thanks!

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

yeah. Wouldnt count on it meaning scholly money unfortunately enough haha

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:55 am

catwomangirl wrote:Did any of you other admitted peeps also get a nice handwritten note on the admission letter?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can read anything into it (like potentially asking for a scholarship).

Thanks!

Im going to assume everyones did, mine and a buddies of mine both had handwritten notes. We had very different numbers

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Had note on mine as well about my undergrad's football season. Ole' Dugas knows I'm a sucker for D1 football. In other news, I've purchased my airfare and am stoked to meet future classmates at ASW.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Is anyone making this decisions with a significant other in mind? Mine would come work in Virginia if I decided to come, and I was wondering if anyone had thought about this/any suggestions for finding jobs in the area?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:43 pm

theduffman wrote:Is anyone making this decisions with a significant other in mind? Mine would come work in Virginia if I decided to come, and I was wondering if anyone had thought about this/any suggestions for finding jobs in the area?

Man, mine is trying hard to find something in her field. But its hard in that area. What does she want to do? thats the big ?

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 pm

theduffman wrote:Is anyone making this decisions with a significant other in mind? Mine would come work in Virginia if I decided to come, and I was wondering if anyone had thought about this/any suggestions for finding jobs in the area?

Man, mine is trying hard to find something in her field. But its hard in that area. What does she want to do? thats the big ?

We'll both be straight out of undergrad with psychology major/business minor and she wants to go to law school after I do. As such, it's not as important that what she does - just wants to be able to pay off her student loans.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

theduffman wrote:

We'll both be straight out of undergrad with psychology major/business minor and she wants to go to law school after I do. As such, it's not as important that what she does - just wants to be able to pay off her student loans.

Hmm...maybe she can find some full time work in her immediate field of psychology. Perhaps there is a lab she can work in at UVA or a college close by. My s/o is finishing her undergrad and has worked in a few university labs on research grants. She is also a psych undergrad and will be doing grad school at Johns Hopkins which isn't to far away (Baltimore). We are both pretty excited about how our grad school locations ended up in terms of proximity to one another!

Postby 005618502 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
theduffman wrote:

Hmm...maybe she can find some full time work in her immediate field of psychology. Perhaps there is a lab she can work in at UVA or a college close by. My s/o is finishing her undergrad and has worked in a few university labs on research grants. She is also a psych undergrad and will be doing grad school at Johns Hopkins which isn't to far away (Baltimore). We are both pretty excited about how our grad school locations ended up in terms of proximity to one another!

Yeah man your lucky, mine is looking for work in/near VA, not looking good. She has multiple offers in NYC, thats just way to far

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 am

Whooo! UVA ASW! I'm excited!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”