UVA Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
hey_mike

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Postby hey_mike » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 pm

first time TLS poster, long time reader... so after getting my heart crushed by my december lsat score, i finally sent the my long-awaited apps out right away wednesday night. figured why not, uva is pretty much tied with my other two top choices, might as well try to increase whatever shot i have with any of them and put myself down as a uva binding decision. yesterday afternoon (about 12 hours later), got the million dollar phone call from dean richard. very excited to be going along with the rest of you guys. looking at the posts right now, the excitement is now turning into a practical concern for housing. but i guess it's a good adjustment to be making.

anyone have any idea or ever hear of someone successfully getting refunded app fees? since i formally sent all of mine about a day and a half ago... i'd like to think that there might be a chance. especially since spamming your app to most of the top-14 isn't exactly cheap these days.

but just to rehash... can't wait for the admitted students events and next fall 8)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 pm

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 am

In via RD- been checking out housing. Lots of options, and I have a car, so distance isn't that big a deal for me. How many studios does the Ivy have? I like living in a big group or alone, so I don't think I'm gonna go for a two bedroom this year.

UVA is my first T10, and the MVPD that I ranked highest, so I'm stoked. Going to be a hard choice between them and Vandy (I'm from Nashville). Haven't decided yet whether Nashville is where I want to practice, so it'll boil down to that and scholarship money.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm

CobraCO

Postby CobraCO » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am

American_in_China wrote:In via RD- been checking out housing. Lots of options, and I have a car, so distance isn't that big a deal for me. How many studios does the Ivy have? I like living in a big group or alone, so I don't think I'm gonna go for a two bedroom this year.

UVA is my first T10, and the MVPD that I ranked highest, so I'm stoked. Going to be a hard choice between them and Vandy (I'm from Nashville). Haven't decided yet whether Nashville is where I want to practice, so it'll boil down to that and scholarship money.

Congratulations! No studios - looks like only 1 BR's or 1 BR w/ Den:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't think you would have a problem landing a job in Nashville if you went to UVa, but I can understand why this would be a consideration with Vandy.

Evelyn13

Postby Evelyn13 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 am

Hey all! First post on TLS, but figured I'd check it out to see if I could find a roomie for this fall. Would like a female roommate to share a 2bd at Jefferson Ridge. Let me know if you're interested!

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 am

YCrevolution wrote:
American_in_China wrote:In via RD- been checking out housing. Lots of options, and I have a car, so distance isn't that big a deal for me. How many studios does the Ivy have? I like living in a big group or alone, so I don't think I'm gonna go for a two bedroom this year.

Gongrats on your acceptance!

I do not believe that Ivy has (m)any studio apartments; there are a number of one bedroom (and two bedroom) apartments there.

Having attended Vandy for undergrad, I like UVA better in terms of the atmosphere.

Any particular reason? I love being in Nashville, but I did enjoy my visit at Charlottesville. Is there a big difference between campuses or interaction with undergrads and other students?

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:46 am

CobraCO wrote:

Congratulations! No studios - looks like only 1 BR's or 1 BR w/ Den:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't think you would have a problem landing a job in Nashville if you went to UVa, but I can understand why this would be a consideration with Vandy.

Yeah, it'll be a tough decision. I loved my visit to UVA. Eventually it'll all probably come down to financial decisions. But I really loved UVA on my visit.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:25 pm

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
American_in_China wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Gongrats on your acceptance!

I do not believe that Ivy has (m)any studio apartments; there are a number of one bedroom (and two bedroom) apartments there.

Having attended Vandy for undergrad, I like UVA better in terms of the atmosphere.

Any particular reason? I love being in Nashville, but I did enjoy my visit at Charlottesville. Is there a big difference between campuses or interaction with undergrads and other students?

My rent is cheaper, it's easier to walk around, and there's much more of a college town atmosphere (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on perspective). Also, the law/business students essentially have their own gym at UVA. Having hung out with a number of Vandy law students when I was at Vanderbilt, there's also a closer-knit law school community at UVA.

Plus, UVA has better sports.

Haha. I'm a huge Titans fan- don't the Redskins usually get broadcast in Charlottesville? And I dig Vandy basketball. But that does make sense about everything else.

Bree99

Postby Bree99 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 am

Checking in. Just got in today.
PUMPED you could say.
Need to start looking for a place. M. from the good ol Jerz. Thanks for the links all.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Have people already bought their plane ticket/ reserved hotel room for ASW?? just curious if I am already behind on that or if its cool to wait till the time comes closer.

jediknight2424

Postby jediknight2424 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I read somewhere that you can stay with a UVA student during ASW-- has anyone heard anything about this?

CobraCO

Postby CobraCO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

jediknight2424 wrote:I read somewhere that you can stay with a UVA student during ASW-- has anyone heard anything about this?

Yes, you can stay with a current law student during admitted student day. I didn't do this last year, and really wish I had. Seems like everybody who did went out Thursday night before the Friday sessions for "Bar Review" and had a blast. I definitely plan to do that this year. I checked my emails from last year, and the email with details about how to register for the open houses and to stay with a student was sent on January 26.

I booked my hotel for the weekend this week. My father is coming with me, and he probably wouldn't want to sleep on some law student's couch hahaha! Also, I plan to spend the entire weekend in Charlottesville after the Friday sessions. I'm Marriott Platinum, and all of the Marriotts in Charlottesville still had availability. I thought it would be best if I booked now. There's usually no cancellation fee on hotel rooms if you give them enough notice, and I remember that they filled up quickly last year.

Champion

Postby Champion » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 pm

More than happy to check in on this thread!

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 pm

In today. I didn't think I should be worried about housing, but now I feel like I should start looking? I also have a dog. Does anyone know how difficult housing is with pets? Anyone want to live with someone who has a dog? I'm open to living with guys or girls (I'm a girl)

I'm really excited! :lol:

Gandalf205

Postby Gandalf205 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 pm

What's the difference between Arlington Road condominiums and Arlington road apartments? Any?

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:28 am

Gandalf205 wrote:What's the difference between Arlington Road condominiums and Arlington road apartments? Any?

I have no idea but I love your avatar name or whatever that username thing is called.

hey_mike

Postby hey_mike » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Does anyone have any input from past ASW's as to what time it generally begins/lasts until? I'm making a 5 hour drive down from Jersey, and since my family didn't want to stay at a dump we'd prefer to stay at a decent hotel for either Thursday night or Friday night, but not both. If most of the bar action takes place on that Thursday night as I just saw in an earlier post, then maybe the Thursday night room would be a better idea?

But if staying later on Friday is also advisable, then I guess we might just end up doing both nights. I'm leaning towards getting a room with one of the students and having my family have their hotel room to themselves.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Gandalf205 wrote:What's the difference between Arlington Road condominiums and Arlington road apartments? Any?

The Condos are a little bigger, individually owned, and closer to the law school. The Apartments are smaller, owned by Woodard Properties, and closer to Barracks Road Shopping Center.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 pm

hey_mike wrote:Does anyone have any input from past ASW's as to what time it generally begins/lasts until? I'm making a 5 hour drive down from Jersey, and since my family didn't want to stay at a dump we'd prefer to stay at a decent hotel for either Thursday night or Friday night, but not both. If most of the bar action takes place on that Thursday night as I just saw in an earlier post, then maybe the Thursday night room would be a better idea?

But if staying later on Friday is also advisable, then I guess we might just end up doing both nights. I'm leaning towards getting a room with one of the students and having my family have their hotel room to themselves.

Assuming it's the same as past years, there's a BBQ on Thurs around 5 PM and most people go out for Bar Review that night. Things start fairly early on Friday morning and they keep you busy most of the day. What weekend is ASW this year? In past years, the 1st weekend was an NCAA tournament weekend and the 2nd weekend was the softball invitational so there was always stuff to see in addition to going out to bars for late night. Not staying on Friday night isn't a huge loss though unless you need the extra night to be sold on attending.

memaha

Postby memaha » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 am

gladiator wrote:
hey_mike wrote:Does anyone have any input from past ASW's as to what time it generally begins/lasts until? I'm making a 5 hour drive down from Jersey, and since my family didn't want to stay at a dump we'd prefer to stay at a decent hotel for either Thursday night or Friday night, but not both. If most of the bar action takes place on that Thursday night as I just saw in an earlier post, then maybe the Thursday night room would be a better idea?

Assuming it's the same as past years, there's a BBQ on Thurs around 5 PM and most people go out for Bar Review that night. Things start fairly early on Friday morning and they keep you busy most of the day. What weekend is ASW this year? In past years, the 1st weekend was an NCAA tournament weekend and the 2nd weekend was the softball invitational so there was always stuff to see in addition to going out to bars for late night. Not staying on Friday night isn't a huge loss though unless you need the extra night to be sold on attending.

There is only 1 ASW this year and the events/activities will only be on Friday. From early in the morning until the Supreme Court Clerk Reception around 5:30.

Sorry, edited to add that the ASW date is March 23rd

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 am

memaha wrote:
gladiator wrote:

There is only 1 ASW this year and the events/activities will only be on Friday. From early in the morning until the Supreme Court Clerk Reception around 5:30.

So that Friday is the 2nd day of the NCAA tournament Sweet 16 and UVA plays Clemson in baseball at 6 that night. Perhaps they'll also move Pong for PILA (charity beer pong tournament) to that weekend.

CobraCO

Postby CobraCO » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am

gladiator wrote:
memaha wrote:
gladiator wrote:

So that Friday is the 2nd day of the NCAA tournament Sweet 16 and UVA plays Clemson in baseball at 6 that night. Perhaps they'll also move Pong for PILA (charity beer pong tournament) to that weekend.

I'm a huge baseball fan, but I think I may go to the Saturday game at 1 instead. Last year's ASW was during the big softball tournament against all of the other law schools. I went to it with a friend of mine who is a current 2L. I was immediately handed a beer to chug when I arrived.....I'm going to love this place!!

phx

Postby phx » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Does anyone know the scoop on housing for married couples? Is there anything different about the process?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”