UVA Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
bobbyh1919

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Um...I was not a fan of the alumni guy. ...or of the ASW as a whole.
What didn't you like? Best of luck to you wherever you do wind up!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 pm

chem wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Um...I was not a fan of the alumni guy. ...or of the ASW as a whole.
woah. thoughts?

Well, upon my arrival I felt like the admissions staff was fairly off-putting. They didn't seem particularly friendly... and I arrived at a time when there was literally no one else around.

Secondly, our tour guide was...chipper. And did not come across as mature--at least, not as mature as I would have hoped. Additionally, she stated incorrect information about the law school. So...yeah.

I didn't find the BBQ particularly inviting...the morning welcome left a lot to be desired. I would have appreciated sitting in on a real class. When thinking about the student body...I felt like a mother.

And after visiting Darden and the rest of the UVA campus, I sincerely wanted to know why the law school was so ugly in comparison. I will say that I did enjoy the mock class I sat in on and the career services people were nice. Everything else, though, not a fan.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
chem wrote:
woah. thoughts?

Well, upon my arrival I felt like the admissions staff was fairly off-putting. They didn't seem particularly friendly... and I arrived at a time when there was literally no one else around.

Secondly, our tour guide was...chipper. And did not come across as mature--at least, not as mature as I would have hoped. Additionally, she stated incorrect information about the law school. So...yeah.

I didn't find the BBQ particularly inviting...the morning welcome left a lot to be desired. I would have appreciated sitting in on a real class. When thinking about the student body...I felt like a mother.

And after visiting Darden and the rest of the UVA campus, I sincerely wanted to know why the law school was so ugly in comparison. I will say that I did enjoy the mock class I sat in on and the career services people were nice. Everything else, though, not a fan.
The leather folders they gave out were... really nice though.

jwalterweatherman

New

Post by jwalterweatherman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:56 pm

dakure wrote:
chem wrote:
woah. thoughts?

The leather folders they gave out were... really nice though.
+1

But seriously, it doesn't sound like we went to the same event! I was very impressed overall. I found the faculty and staff very friendly. The BBQ was weird at first, but I think any kind of orientation event like that will be awkward at first. Once I decided to be a little more outgoing, it wasn't a problem. I even thought the law school was attractive (although not quite as much as Darden or the Rotunda or anything).

I agree about the law school having a younger crowd, but maybe it didn't bother me since I'm a part of that. Sorry you didn't have as good of a time.

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Did anyone else go to the public interest event? Oh my god did that guy blow me away. I was in another world... dreaming about life at UVA...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 pm

dakure wrote:Did anyone else go to the public interest event? Oh my god did that guy blow me away. I was in another world... dreaming about life at UVA...
Missed this, kind of wish I had gone because the one I chose instead wasn't the greatest.

Anyone get to go to the Supreme Court clinic sessions? That guy was very impressive and really sold the program well.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:
dakure wrote:Did anyone else go to the public interest event? Oh my god did that guy blow me away. I was in another world... dreaming about life at UVA...
Missed this, kind of wish I had gone because the one I chose instead wasn't the greatest.

Anyone get to go to the Supreme Court clinic sessions? That guy was very impressive and really sold the program well.

Be happy you weren't there.

There was nothing you could have learned in that session that you didn't already know from reading through the website.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:34 pm

chem wrote:
woah. thoughts?

This person seems so bitter. Did you apply to ED and now realize you're stuck coming to this awful place? Otherwise, if you have plenty of other options, I'm sure we'll be just fine without you.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:37 pm

desertlaw wrote:
This person seems so bitter. Did you apply to ED and now realize you're stuck coming to this awful place? Otherwise, if you have plenty of other options, I'm sure we'll be just fine without you.

Aww...do honest facts/opinions bother you?

They bothered my tour guide too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:48 pm

In general I wasn't really focusing too much on the presentation as much as the substance, and in general the substance was strong. I felt the day was a tad long and people were pretty much mentally checked out by the end, but again I was really impressed and thought it went great.

Good thing about these ASWs is they help people decide whether or not the school is for them and that's clear from this thread lol.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Not sure what else I could have asked for from ASW. Each speaker seemed sincere, enthusiastic, and informed. There was ample opportunity to talk with, and listen to, many interesting people on Thursday and between sessions. In my opinion UVA really sold itself well. Class of 2015!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

desertlaw wrote:
chem wrote:
woah. thoughts?

TBF, I did ask for her opinion but..
Aww...do honest facts/opinions bother you?

They bothered my tour guide too.
that wasnt very nice either

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm also a little surprised that the law school's not a shining example of Jeffersonian architecture the way the rest of the campus is. I mean, wasn't that guy a lawyer or something? However, I still think the law school's a fairly attractive building, so it doesn't bother me most days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:14 pm

I thought the law school was very nice, but I didn't see Darden or the main campus so I can't compare them. Apparently they're much nicer?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:I thought the law school was very nice, but I didn't see Darden or the main campus so I can't compare them. Apparently they're much nicer?
Main campus is gorgeous. I'd say prettier than the law school. Didn't see Darden

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 pm

chem wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:I thought the law school was very nice, but I didn't see Darden or the main campus so I can't compare them. Apparently they're much nicer?
Main campus is gorgeous. I'd say prettier than the law school. Didn't see Darden
Darden and Main Grounds have the traditional architecture of Jefferson and those Roman/Italian/Greece influences. Darden and Main Grounds are uniquely beautiful. Law school is very nice/aesthetically pleasing, but not really unique.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I would rather pay $10 less in tuition per year and go to class in an abandoned mineshaft than pay $10 more and go to school in the Louvre.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 pm

I thought the outside of the law building was super nice but the inside was a little bland.

I agree with lawschoolproject - didn't see what was so great about the alumni guy. He was enthusiastic but had little to say of substance and afterwards I was left wondering what the point of that session was....
I didn't get a chance to explore much but from what I saw charlottesville is very beautiful

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:I thought the outside of the law building was super nice but the inside was a little bland.

I agree with lawschoolproject - didn't see what was so great about the alumni guy. He was enthusiastic but had little to say of substance and afterwards I was left wondering what the point of that session was....
I didn't get a chance to explore much but from what I saw charlottesville is very beautiful
I thought the session was funny because it was set up as a Q&A, except after the first question the guy just kept talking and Mr. Dugas just sat there and made the occasional joke lol.

thatkid

Bronze

Post by thatkid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 am

I skipped several events, so this lacks a lot of specifics (about "alumni guy," etc.), but my main impression was that the students all seemed genuinely happy with their choice to attend Virginia, and they were classy, impressive people (perhaps not universally, but definitely overall.)

I assume that there are varying levels of maturity at any school, but I honestly didn't find the students to be "overly chipper" or immature, as was previously alleged, and I was actively looking for these things while fearing the worst. This is not to say that *no one* was immature, or that I didn't hear a single off-putting statement, but the atmosphere greatly exceeded my expectations, especially with UVa's reputation for being "fratty." It didn't seem any more alcohol-centric or immature than any other school I've visited, just a bit more laid back (in a very good way.) I was really impressed with how much the current students reached out to admits, too. No one ever looked out of place or alone, even at the bigger events (BBQ, lunch), and it felt like a legitimate community, albeit one in an awkward beginning phase.

Charlottesville seemed beautiful, and while it's not necessarily somewhere I'd pick to live forever, it seems like an idyllic place to spend three years. It was a much more vibrant community than I'd expected, and if I end up at UVa, I anticipate having an excellent quality of life. Good food, cultural opportunities, and fun outdoorsy activities all seem abundant, and the students I spoke to seem to actually have time to enjoy such things. Relative to some of the other schools I'm considering, Cville also has some of the best housing options.

tl;dr version: Happy students, great place, left ASW with a higher opinion of the school than I went in with.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 am

The alumni guy was a little intense but I enjoyed it, and what he said was true and you could tell he really cared which I liked. Otherwise I am also curious what u didn't like? Everyone I met was awesome, people were super nice and the current students were more than helpful.

What didn't you like besides the alumni dude? This weekend made me so happy that I will be in Charlottesville in the fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
What didn't you like besides the alumni dude? This weekend made me so happy that I will be in Charlottesville in the fall!

I mean...I feel like I kind of answered this already, but here's more information:

My overall impression of the law school was that it was very young. By that I mean the student body did not come across as mature to me. Many prospectives brought their parents with them. Moreover, the prospectives I met were not very friendly. And, as someone who was looking at the other prospectives as future classmates, I was concerned. Additionally, I was not impressed with the behavior of the current students either. They were young and I'll give them bubbly, but not what I'm looking for in terms of peers. I was much more satisfied with the students I met at other ASWs.

Also, the staff was off-putting. When I arrived, they were not friendly. They were not personable. And this, above all other things was disconcerting for me. And, it remained this way on Thursday AND Friday. Although, I will concede that my mock class professor and the people from career services were fantastic.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am

To each his own I guess. I thought all of the admissions staff were pretty nice. Cordel and Anne are both pretty approachable and welcoming. The thing that stood out to me the most is just how happy all the students are to be there and how welcoming they were. Not just the ones designated as law school reps. I went to see the library later in the day with a couple other admitted students and a student stopped to engage us and told us how much she loved the school.

I think the BBQ and some of the food events are inherently awkward though, because eating with someone is a personal thing and you don't know anyone at first. The only thing I would've changed was maybe added some ice breaker games and added the undergrad universities to people's name tags. I think that would've helped in meeting people and making it less awkward.

EDIT: Just read your last post lawschoolproject. I only saw 2 sets of parents, which I didn't think was too bad. Still awkward though.

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:58 pm

I mean...I feel like I kind of answered this already, but here's more information:

My overall impression of the law school was that it was very young. By that I mean the student body did not come across as mature to me. Many prospectives brought their parents with them. Moreover, the prospectives I met were not very friendly. And, as someone who was looking at the other prospectives as future classmates, I was concerned. Additionally, I was not impressed with the behavior of the current students either. They were young and I'll give them bubbly, but not what I'm looking for in terms of peers. I was much more satisfied with the students I met at other ASWs.

Also, the staff was off-putting. When I arrived, they were not friendly. They were not personable. And this, above all other things was disconcerting for me. And, it remained this way on Thursday AND Friday. Although, I will concede that my mock class professor and the people from career services were fantastic.

Completely respect your opinion, and I agree that it's "Young." As a 20 year old, I loved the environment. THought it was just perfect for me. But maybe UVA isn't the law school for you... That's what these events are about, Figuring out which school is a perfect fit for you! And you've figured out otherwise.

Personally, I found all people (including the staff) great. They were all communicable and easy to deal with!

Good luck with your law school choice!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 pm

How old are you? I thought everyone was very mature and incredibly welcoming. I met and spoke with tons of friendly people. At these kind of things you need to be friendly and outgoing. It sounds like you came in with a little but of a chip on your shoulder when you realized how young everyone was and how nice (or bubbly) everyone was. Yes it's a completely different group than Chicago, but that's why I love it. I like that the place seemed to be filled with exciting, young and happy people. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your time but I guess everyone has different wants and needs. This is exactly what ASWs are for. It helped me be happy and positive that I will be at UVA next year and it helped you decide that you will be attending a different university. So it did it's job for all of us.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”