Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:54 am

My crim law prof is using us as guinea pigs for the 2nd half of his final exam. It consists of an hour long movie of some sort (movie, show, etc). Anyone know any videos that are just packed with crimes occurring like every other second that I could use as "prep tests"? (I'm presuming this is going to be like a dense fact pattern which would have multiple issue in almost every sentence). The only substantive crimes we covered were homicide and rape (and obviously we covered all the basics, defenses, and inchoate crimes).

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby pany1985 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:02 am

i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:13 am

pany1985 wrote:i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes


Lol. Somehow I think that stuff about rape will in the multiple choice part of the exam prior to the video (I think this guy actually did a lot of work just to convince the school to let him try out this wacky idea, I just can't imagine them being OK with him showing a rape scene on the video-- but I could be wrong).

User avatar
theanomalie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby theanomalie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:21 am

pany1985 wrote:i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes

this is possibly one of the greatest quotes in tls history

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby macattaq » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 am

Uhhh...there is that one movie where the women killed their boyfriends. I don't know what it is called, but it has that cell block tango scene in it.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Bump for some real suggestions..

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby biggamejames » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Image

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby kings84_wr » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 pm

My prof has mentioned The accused several times the last couple days, but it wouldn't really be relevant to murder, just rape and solicitation.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:49 pm

theanomalie wrote:
pany1985 wrote:i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes

this is possibly one of the greatest quotes in tls history

I'm glad you think your limited TLS experience makes you feel entitled to make these kind of statements...

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:02 pm

law and order

User avatar
Vendetta
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby Vendetta » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:07 pm

macattaq wrote:Uhhh...there is that one movie where the women killed their boyfriends. I don't know what it is called, but it has that cell block tango scene in it.


Chicago.

@OP:

To Kill a Mockingbird (rape)

Twelve Angry Men (murder)

My Cousin Vinnie (double murder)

:lol:

Clearly, none of these will actually be used. But Joe Peshi is still damn funny.

User avatar
theanomalie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby theanomalie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 pm

mistergoft wrote:
theanomalie wrote:
pany1985 wrote:i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes

this is possibly one of the greatest quotes in tls history

I'm glad you think your limited TLS experience makes you feel entitled to make these kind of statements...


LR fail- your assuming based on the number of posts or when I joined that I have limited TLS exp. which isn't the case. As anyone can still access the forum without posting, thus giving them TLS exp.

Also seeing as though my statement was opinion , and i am the absolutely the authority on my opinion. I am then the most qualified person to make a statement based on it.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:18 pm

bowie8285 wrote:law and order


I haven't ever watched an entire episode of law and order from beginning to end, but from that I've seen it seems to be more about actual trial after the event. This is a wild guess but I think my prof will probably use something which shows what actually happens (e.g. someone soliciting to kill another person, an actual murder talking place (and hence complicity liability), etc.) as oppose to people in court trying to uncover what facts actually took place.

LjakW
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby LjakW » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:43 pm

After the final, please let us know what the professor used. Sounds like an interesting idea.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:46 pm

theanomalie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
theanomalie wrote:
pany1985 wrote:i think you might just get a tape of Professor XYZ's favorite rape scenes

this is possibly one of the greatest quotes in tls history

I'm glad you think your limited TLS experience makes you feel entitled to make these kind of statements...


LR fail- your assuming based on the number of posts or when I joined that I have limited TLS exp. which isn't the case. As anyone can still access the forum without posting, thus giving them TLS exp.

Also seeing as though my statement was opinion , and i am the absolutely the authority on my opinion. I am then the most qualified person to make a statement based on it.

Statement of fact: This is...
Statement of opinion: I think this is... or, alternatively, This is, IMO...

Nice try, though.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:01 pm

My favorite:
Image

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby Philo38 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Statement of fact: This is...
Statement of opinion: I think this is... or, alternatively, This is, IMO...

Nice try, though.



Good God is it possible to find any corner of the internet where this stupid argument about fact v opinion isnt made? As if everytime someone states an opinion they have to start it with "well, I think . . . " or end it with "in my opinion"

You are a fool. um sorry, I THINK you are a fool.

User avatar
theanomalie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby theanomalie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:10 pm

theanomalie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
theanomalie wrote:
I'm glad you think your limited TLS experience makes you feel entitled to make these kind of statements...


LR fail- your assuming based on the number of posts or when I joined that I have limited TLS exp. which isn't the case. As anyone can still access the forum without posting, thus giving them TLS exp.

Also seeing as though my statement was opinion , and i am the absolutely the authority on my opinion. I am then the most qualified person to make a statement based on it.

Statement of fact: This is...
Statement of opinion: I think this is... or, alternatively, This is, IMO...

Nice try, though.


The beauty of the english langauge is that a person does not have to say, I think before stating an opinion. An Opinion is something that cannot be factually proved. There is no way to factually prove one quote is better than another. Thus , it can immediately be inferred that said quote was an opinion, but hey we can argue semantics all day.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 pm

theanomalie wrote:
theanomalie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
theanomalie wrote:
I'm glad you think your limited TLS experience makes you feel entitled to make these kind of statements...


LR fail- your assuming based on the number of posts or when I joined that I have limited TLS exp. which isn't the case. As anyone can still access the forum without posting, thus giving them TLS exp.

Also seeing as though my statement was opinion , and i am the absolutely the authority on my opinion. I am then the most qualified person to make a statement based on it.

Statement of fact: This is...
Statement of opinion: I think this is... or, alternatively, This is, IMO...

Nice try, though.


The beauty of the english langauge is that a person does not have to say, I think before stating an opinion. An Opinion is something that cannot be factually proved. There is no way to factually prove one quote is better than another. Thus , it can immediately be inferred that said quote was an opinion, but hey we can argue semantics all day.


Can't you guys just argue about this via PMs?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:50 pm

LjakW wrote:After the final, please let us know what the professor used. Sounds like an interesting idea.


The cool part is I get to watch movies to practice, while everyone else is cranking through old exams (and essentially get to semi-relax in the middle of an exam for an hour since we won't be able to type anything while the movie plays). The thing I'm a little worried about is the fact that we don't have anyway to go back in time and run through things with with a fine tooth comb like you can do with a fact pattern. I think it would be a little better if the guy gave us some type of transcription to go along with the movie so we could go back and nit-pick issues that we miss the first time around.

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby biggamejames » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:59 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:The cool part is I get to watch movies to practice, while everyone else is cranking through old exams (and essentially get to semi-relax in the middle of an exam for an hour since we won't be able to type anything while the movie plays). The thing I'm a little worried about is the fact that we don't have anyway to go back in time and run through things with with a fine tooth comb like you can do with a fact pattern. I think it would be a little better if the guy gave us some type of transcription to go along with the movie so we could go back and nit-pick issues that we miss the first time around.

If you want to look at one with actual interesting legal issues, try Burn After Reading. For extra fun, analyze it twice (once using Texas law).

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby 06072010 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:03 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:My crim law prof is using us as guinea pigs for the 2nd half of his final exam. It consists of an hour long movie of some sort (movie, show, etc). Anyone know any videos that are just packed with crimes occurring like every other second that I could use as "prep tests"? (I'm presuming this is going to be like a dense fact pattern which would have multiple issue in almost every sentence). The only substantive crimes we covered were homicide and rape (and obviously we covered all the basics, defenses, and inchoate crimes).


Heat

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby Mulliganstew » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:35 pm

kings84_wr wrote:My prof has mentioned The accused several times the last couple days, but it wouldn't really be relevant to murder, just rape and solicitation.


My Crim Law is completely lacking in references to Jodie Foster.

Edit: Also, maybe you could use Collateral to talk about accomplice liability and/or duress.

Lord Jim-ish
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 am

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby Lord Jim-ish » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:41 pm

.
Last edited by Lord Jim-ish on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hrvd214
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Good crim law movies/shows/videos?

Postby hrvd214 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 pm

possibly A Clockwork Orange or Monster




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deadthrone7, Justtrying2help, Stubbazubba, TheSpanishMain, UVA2B, wg6524 and 4 guests