How Much Better are [T6] Grads than [T25] grads . . .

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SlipperyPete

How Much Better are [T6] Grads than [T25] grads . . .

Postby SlipperyPete » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

If you had to collate all law school grads, how would you integrate HYS or T6 grads with T25 or T50 grads?

Even if I finish 1st in my class at my T25 school, I have no problem buying the notion that every Harvard grad, including the kid who finishes dead last in his class, was better qualified going into law school than I was. There's a reason I got dinged from every school ranked higher than 20 that I applied to.

But I don't think the lowest Harvard grad will have a better understanding of the law than the top grad from my school, just because he had the opportunity to learn from Harvard professors (I'm not implying that there is anybody who would make this drastic of an argument).

If you had to rank every grad from every school for a given year, how would you integrate the [Penn] class with the [Yale] class with the [Emory] class with the [Cooley] class? (Insert whatever school or group of schools in the brackets.)

rondemarino

Re: How Much Better are [T6] Grads than [T25] grads . . .

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:56 pm

LOL. People never get out of the rankings mindset, eh?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:57 pm

BTW, Pat Robertson got a J.D. from Yale.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 pm

I'd support this thread if it were:

"How Much Better are [T6] Grads than [T25] grads... in bed..."

This is the real pressing question of our time!

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm

rayiner wrote:I'd support this thread if it were:

I'm gonna go with NU @ #1. 2 years of real world getting it on experience has to come in handy.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm

SlipperyPete wrote:If you had to collate all law school grads, how would you integrate HYS or T6 grads with T25 or T50 grads?

Even if I finish 1st in my class at my T25 school, I have no problem buying the notion that every Harvard grad, including the kid who finishes dead last in his class, was better qualified going into law school than I was. There's a reason I got dinged from every school ranked higher than 20 that I applied to.

But I don't think the lowest Harvard grad will have a better understanding of the law than the top grad from my school, just because he had the opportunity to learn from Harvard professors (I'm not implying that there is anybody who would make this drastic of an argument).

If you had to rank every grad from every school for a given year, how would you integrate the [Penn] class with the [Yale] class with the [Emory] class with the [Cooley] class? (Insert whatever school or group of schools in the brackets.)

Are you serious?

When people graduate from law school, they generally have equal knowledge of the law (whether it be Yale or just about any other law school).

That knowledge is pretty much useless to employers.

So they have to train you - whether it be judges or partners.

What distinguishes schools are the rankings.

While firms do enjoy hiring people at the top of a class, there is little difference between them and someone at the middle of a class.

You need to distinguish between "real" differences and "firm perceived" differences in your question.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Chicago FTW...all those sexually repressed conservatives.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 pm

T6 grads are the only people worthy of being lawyers. I'd rather be represented by a goat than someone who couldn't even get into Chicago.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm

soullesswonder wrote:

Dunno. Practice makes perfect. Being repressed merely makes one easy. Not the same.

EDIT: As Dave Attel said - "I don't want 72 virgins, just give me one dirty girl from Vegas."

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:06 pm

rondemarino wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

Dunno. Practice makes perfect. Being repressed merely makes one easy. Not the same.

EDIT: As Dave Attel said - "I don't want 72 virgins, just give me one dirty girl from Vegas."

ROFL.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 pm

19?

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:19 pm

[T6]:[T25]::[bacon]:[sausage]

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Oblomov wrote:[T6]:[T25]::[bacon]:[sausage]

LOL! I was WAY off!!

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Are you serious?

When people graduate from law school, they generally have equal knowledge of the law (whether it be Yale or just about any other law school).

While firms do enjoy hiring people at the top of a class, there is little difference between them and someone at the middle of a class.

You need to distinguish between "real" differences and "firm perceived" differences in your question.

Could you expound on this a bit? Why exactly is there little difference between these two- what if the person @ the top spent literally twice as much time studying? That would at least seem to speak volumes as to their work ethic and dedication.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 am

How Much Better are [T5] Grads than [T6] grads?

Kant

Postby Kant » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:08 am

Chi has its own fucking bar. Thus it is the best.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 am

CE2JD wrote:How Much Better are [T5] Grads than [T6] grads?

OH! I'm going to take a stab at this one. [T5]:[T6]::canadian bacon:ham

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:12 am

hmmm...25-6...

They are 19 much better

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:22 am

leobowski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Are you serious?

Could you expound on this a bit? Why exactly is there little difference between these two- what if the person @ the top spent literally twice as much time studying? That would at least seem to speak volumes as to their work ethic and dedication.

Okay. The number of hours you spend studying do not correlate to your rank in the class.

The person who rarely studied could be the one at the top of the class.

True, spending countless hours studying does speak to ethic and dedication.

But no employer is going to ask you how long you studied (I guarantee this).

Grades for any given class (that's not a seminar - they have research papers instead) are determined on a one shot 3-4 hour examination.

You're exam grade comes from not only what you cover, but how you cover it.

Say, you present the answer in a form the professor didn't like - then your grade will be lower than the classmate that did present it in the way the professor likes (even if their answers were exactly the same).

That may seem minimal, but it can mean the difference between an A and a C.

The person who did not present the information as well may have covered all of the topics.

Does the fact that they received a C mean they are less intelligent/less prepared than someone with an A?

Firms like to think so - they use it as a way to distinguish between students.

But in actuality, no.

The professor bias to the form of your wirk is not present once you actually begin practicing.

Why do you think HYS only give High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail grades? (low pass and fail are essentially never given out)

They do that because there is no difference between students (the only reason they give high pass is so they won't get sued by students that do "well")

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:26 am

SlipperyPete wrote:If you had to collate all law school grads, how would you integrate HYS or T6 grads with T25 or T50 grads?

If you are #1 in your class from T25 (20, really), Harvard will probably accept you. I was in a master's program with harvard law grads, wasn't terribly impressed with them. They didn't seem to really stand out. I think law school is mostly oriented around your ability to perform on the standard issue spotter type exam as a 1L. We go with this exam as a measure of a person's worth because it's really the only thing anyone has; same with the LSAT. It doesn't mean they are really good measures, only that people haven't found anything better. The top grads from Harvard will go on to big law firms and 90% of them will wipe out before making partner, out there in the real world.

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:27 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
leobowski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Why do you think HYS only give High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail grades? (low pass and fail are essentially never given out)

They do that because there is no difference between students (the only reason they give high pass is so they won't get sued by students that do "well")

This is a highly incoherent and misguided post.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 am

Cavalier wrote:T6 grads are the only people worthy of being lawyers. I'd rather be represented by a goat than someone who couldn't even get into Chicago.

Thats just great stuff. The above statement should be a sort of a motto of this site. (if you ever get a motto.)

Just say: Top-law-schools.com "Because, T6 grads are the only people worthy of being lawyers. I'd rather be represented by a goat than someone who couldn't even get into Chicago."

lmao

And to answer OP's question, I don't think that graduates from T6 school are any better qualified than graduates from T30. It all comes down to prestige and what kinds of connections you can make while in law school.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:33 am

Ragged wrote:
Cavalier wrote:T6 grads are the only people worthy of being lawyers. I'd rather be represented by a goat than someone who couldn't even get into Chicago.

Thats just great stuff. The above statement should be a sort of a motto of this site. (if you ever get a motto.)

Just say: Top-law-schools.com "Because, T6 grads are the only people worthy of being lawyers. I'd rather be represented by a goat than someone who couldn't even get into Chicago."

lmao

And to answer OP's question, I don't think that graduates from T6 school are any better qualified than graduates from T30. It all comes down to prestige and what kinds of connections you can make while in law school.

The funny thing is that T6 grades never really represent anyone but businesses

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 am

<========== THIS MUCH BETTER =========>

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:12 am

Ragged wrote:

lmao

Yeah, except Ken would personally shoot you in the head for saying it. (Well, maybe not if Berkeley stays tied for #6).

As for me, I'm very happy to be outside the meat measuring. Give me seitan chimichurris from Candle 79 in NYC, and we can talk.

Substantive answer, though: people at the top of schools like mine can generally hit up the T6 as transfer students, and even Fordham ---> Harvard has probably happened, though I don't have any personal anecdotes. Someone explained it to me thus, and I'm not certain I agree, but it is an interesting way of framing the debate:

(this assumes a somewhat recovered economy, I believe.)

Students who are most desirable to employers, excluding those hiring for prestigious clerkships and academia:

top 2 to 5% at NYLS/Hofstra = top 10% at Brooklyn/Cardozo = top third or so at Fordham = median to top 2/3 at Columbia = just about any HYS grad.

I won't get into differences in natural ability, in the classroom or anywhere else, because Rayiner will kill me if I say one more word about intercaste dating. Suffice to say that seeing someone outside of your law school tier can lead to complications, most of them self inflicted.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”