BarBri or Kaplan PMBR Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Re: BarBri or Kaplan PMBR

Post by Stupendous_Man » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks ggocat for this very comprehensive review of Kaplan's product, I found it very helpful. I'm a little confused though at your conclusion that you'd take it again and that it's a good course, because most of what you say sounds negative. Is there someone who's taken BarBri that can give a comparison to what ggocat did? I'm trying to decide where to throw my deposit.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:09 am

If we're still talking about the New York Bar.. Pieper People Pass.

Monty9201

New

Post by Monty9201 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Barbri is the Absolute BEST Full Bar Review hands down!!!! At one time PMBR dominated the MBE portion, but when they got sued by the National Conference of Bar Examiners in 2006 they lost 14.5 Million Dollars and were PERMANENTLY ENJOINED from ever taking another MBE exam. They screwed themselves. I had a friend who got $700 back from Barbri by using their "Tuition Assistance". She really needed the money too. Hope this helps.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 am

Monty9201 wrote:Barbri is the Absolute BEST Full Bar Review hands down!!!! At one time PMBR dominated the MBE portion, but when they got sued by the National Conference of Bar Examiners in 2006 they lost 14.5 Million Dollars and were PERMANENTLY ENJOINED from ever taking another MBE exam. They screwed themselves. I had a friend who got $700 back from Barbri by using their "Tuition Assistance". She really needed the money too. Hope this helps.

Barbri is great if you're taking the Kansas bar or some other state that tests the big 6 MBE subjects. If you're taking NY; Pieper dominates all.

I used Pieper and PMBR when I took the NY bar in 2008. I scored in the upper 90th% on the MBE, but I found that the PMBR practice questions were far off from what I actually saw on the NY bar exam that year. I am taking the Jersey and Rhode Island bar exams in February of 2011, so if anyone has any suggestions on do-it-yourself MBE reviews, I'd love to hear some feedback...

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

Anyone have any more info on this? I'm gonna take the CA bar, and the deadline for the "super secret special limited time offer" is tomorrow. I feel like I have to decide to save hundreds of dollars.

For that matter, is it even worth it to put money down now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaren25

New

Post by Jaren25 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:15 am

Stupendous_Man wrote:Anyone have any more info on this? I'm gonna take the CA bar, and the deadline for the "super secret special limited time offer" is tomorrow. I feel like I have to decide to save hundreds of dollars.

For that matter, is it even worth it to put money down now?
SM, this is what I would recommend. Put the money down just for kicks, although you'll probably not end up taking them. At least this way, you feel safe. For California, it's a really easy choice. Themis has ridiculously good bar passage rates in that state. I think their full course is only 1000 or so, and I'm pretty sure they'll refund your deposit to Kaplan. My friend used them last year and was pretty happy. I think they're the only company that actually gives you an attorney that grades all yoru assignments with substantive feedback. (no checkboxes or numbers.) Their MBE practice questions are also way better than Barbri's...(I used them for MPRE and then MBE, cuz they didn't offer Georgia.) though I don't know if they're the same or better than PMBR. i found this: --LinkRemoved--

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I thought Barbri's practice MBE practice questions were reasonably on, albiet they were usually harder than the real deal.

Barbri also did a good job of convincing you to study a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”