How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:3877 words. Contracts. 3 hours. I type slowly. My classmates got me drunk. Them and that Columbia LLM student from Asmsterdam we met at the bar. I hope it was enough.


As long as you made the words count, it certainly can be...

Don't get worried because I type more. I type ridiculously fast, and I ramble. I start repeating myself and making redundant arguments. The fact that I produce a lot of words doesn't mean you're supposed to produce that many.


Our professor said the best student answers were around 12 pages. I calculated that I typed between 13 and 15, depending on average # of words per page. He said the average student answer was 9 or 10 pages. That makes me feel better.


Well then! In that case I'm sure you did great!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 am

vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:3877 words. Contracts. 3 hours. I type slowly. My classmates got me drunk. Them and that Columbia LLM student from Asmsterdam we met at the bar. I hope it was enough.


As long as you made the words count, it certainly can be...

Don't get worried because I type more. I type ridiculously fast, and I ramble. I start repeating myself and making redundant arguments. The fact that I produce a lot of words doesn't mean you're supposed to produce that many.


Our professor said the best student answers were around 12 pages. I calculated that I typed between 13 and 15, depending on average # of words per page. He said the average student answer was 9 or 10 pages. That makes me feel better.


Well then! In that case I'm sure you did great!


Lol, perhaps if I didn't ramble on in a circular fashion. I was in the Contracts zone. I had to run to the restroom because I'd been drinking sparkling water all afternoon. I don't think I've ever run so fast in my life. I was gone two minutes by the sign-up sheet, but I got to everything I had spotted, and finished 30 seconds before time was called. I gave it my everything, though it was short by TLS standards. Only time will reveal whether my professor liked it.

I proceeded to The Parlour to drink vodka, chambord, and 7up with my classmates. I had three. My head hurts.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:27 am

OperaSoprano wrote:My head hurts.


TITCR.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby mallard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:30 am

If you're worried about losing points because you might give your professor too much to read, a good safeguard is not knowing the material. Using the extra minute it takes to relearn any legal concept from a class you missed or gchatted through will cut down on your word count tremendously.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:56 am

OperaSoprano wrote:3877 words. Contracts. 3 hours. I type slowly. My classmates got me drunk. Them and that Columbia LLM student from Asmsterdam we met at the bar. I hope it was enough.


No worries, my contracts final was maybe 3500 words long. I type SO slow. 10 hours left in semester 1 for me!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 am

These threads are making me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'll find out when I get grades back, I guess.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 am

vanwinkle wrote:These threads are making me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'll find out when I get grades back, I guess.


Likewise.

I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 am

prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:14 am

vanwinkle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.

tcr. I literally sit in a circle with my peers and ask them why they're not habitually refreshing the page in case grades are posted.
:oops:

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:15 am

Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.

tcr. I literally sit in a circle with my peers and ask them why they're not habitually refreshing the page in case grades are posted.
:oops:


They haven't updated yet have they?!? I just checked 5min ago I must check again!!

(The sad thing is I really did check 5 minutes ago. Sigh.)

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:16 am

vanwinkle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.


Nah.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:21 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.


Nah.


I'm not a top law student, so I guess I'm good. I will be, anyway, when my head stops hurting. <3

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:22 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I figure I'm just slightly less neurotic than most TOP LAW STUDENTS


No, we're all equally neurotic.


Nah.


I'm not a top law student, so I guess I'm good. I will be, anyway, when my head stops hurting. <3


Lies. I predict top 10%.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Lies. I predict top 10%.


You'd better stop drinking before you make any more predictions. :lol:

Are you also finished now?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:41 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Lies. I predict top 10%.


You'd better stop drinking before you make any more predictions. :lol:

Are you also finished now?


Nah, one more due at noon.

User avatar
excelsiorcaelo
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 am

I can't imagine what people have to say that takes 7000 words! My three 3-hour finals were 5200-5500 words each. Of course, I also took plenty of time to lean back, look around and just chill for a few minutes from time to time.

My 8-hour takehome had a very strict 5000-word limit, so I just went a little above 4900.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Lies. I predict top 10%.


You'd better stop drinking before you make any more predictions. :lol:

Are you also finished now?


Nah, one more due at noon.


Go to sleep! What are you doing on TLS nine hours before you have a final? I hope it's take home, if that's what you mean by due at noon.

User avatar
hi_im_josh
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby hi_im_josh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:I can't imagine what people have to say that takes 7000 words! My three 3-hour finals were 5200-5500 words each. Of course, I also took plenty of time to lean back, look around and just chill for a few minutes from time to time.

My 8-hour takehome had a very strict 5000-word limit, so I just went a little above 4900.


I think the high word count comes from the depth of analysis that you give. Most of the people (at least at my school) hit all of the issues, so the separation comes from analyzing an issue in depth. For instance, on a contracts exam, there may be an issue involving consideration. You could spot the issue, state the rule (consideration=bargained for exchange...), and then apply the rule to the facts (e.g., in this case, there was consideration because there was a bargained for exchange when...). However, that kind of analysis is probably not going to get you a high word count nor a high grade (or at least a grade that you want). It is better to add on things to your analysis to put in the separation. With the consideration example, you could throw in a public policy argument at the end of your analysis (e.g., Based on the peppercorn theory of contracts, the courts will likely find...), or you could reinforce your argument by citing to a similar fact pattern in a case that you read during the semester. Once you start going into in-depth analysis, it is not hard to get a long essay.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby apper123 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:04 pm

only cranked out 8000 words on the 3.5 hour essay portion of my civ pro exam today

anyone know of available doc review jobs?

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm

apper123 wrote:only cranked out 8000 words on the 3.5 hour essay portion of my civ pro exam today

anyone know of available doc review jobs?


Maybe if you head on down to the border you can find some Mexicans who will make you some tacos in exchange for reviewing their immigration papers.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:06 pm

7200 on 3 hour K :(. Felt like I should have gotten more out in the timeframe.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:15 pm

BigAristotle wrote:7200 on 3 hour K :(. Felt like I should have gotten more out in the timeframe.


Totally unacceptable.

User avatar
BigAristotle
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby BigAristotle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:21 pm

CE2JD wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:7200 on 3 hour K :(. Felt like I should have gotten more out in the timeframe.


Totally unacceptable.


I know! Not even doc review worthy. I might be able to parlay it into fast track manager BK job.

nn223
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby nn223 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:30 pm

BigAristotle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:7200 on 3 hour K :(. Felt like I should have gotten more out in the timeframe.


Totally unacceptable.


I know! Not even doc review worthy. I might be able to parlay it into fast track manager BK job.


at least it's a step up from a small personal injury firm job

hithere
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby hithere » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 pm

don't forget the "acting in good faith" requirement in contracts--that's always worth extra word count and it can be applied to just about any hypo if you think hard enough about it




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CharlieAvocado, ididntwantsalmon, Tazewell, TheSpanishMain and 5 guests