How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Snooker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 pm

dresden doll wrote:Dude, I spent three hours of Civ Pro exam brain vomiting whatever I could think of onto pages and I still wound up with around 4,500 words. No way could I have written more than that and I wasted practically no time looking at the outline.

8,000 in three hours = insane.


the 4k range sounds right. I have taken a lot of contracts ultra-dense hypos and going through every single issue in the book, hitting every issue on there (40+ I am sure), I'm still around 1,500 or so words per hour. I use the concise format of GTM which may be a reason. There is zero redundancy in my exams. Even my 1500 - 2000 words per hour is 15-20 pages, a crap load to read. My profs also give points for style, and I always make sure things look good.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 am

Snooker wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Dude, I spent three hours of Civ Pro exam brain vomiting whatever I could think of onto pages and I still wound up with around 4,500 words. No way could I have written more than that and I wasted practically no time looking at the outline.

8,000 in three hours = insane.


the 4k range sounds right. I have taken a lot of contracts ultra-dense hypos and going through every single issue in the book, hitting every issue on there (40+ I am sure), I'm still around 1,500 or so words per hour. I use the concise format of GTM which may be a reason. There is zero redundancy in my exams. Even my 1500 - 2000 words per hour is 15-20 pages, a crap load to read. My profs also give points for style, and I always make sure things look good.


what a champion.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 am

superserial wrote:
Snooker wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Dude, I spent three hours of Civ Pro exam brain vomiting whatever I could think of onto pages and I still wound up with around 4,500 words. No way could I have written more than that and I wasted practically no time looking at the outline.

8,000 in three hours = insane.


the 4k range sounds right. I have taken a lot of contracts ultra-dense hypos and going through every single issue in the book, hitting every issue on there (40+ I am sure), I'm still around 1,500 or so words per hour. I use the concise format of GTM which may be a reason. There is zero redundancy in my exams. Even my 1500 - 2000 words per hour is 15-20 pages, a crap load to read. My profs also give points for style, and I always make sure things look good.


what a champion.


lol. Snooker, you always put me to shame. You seem to be putting waaaaaaaay more effort into your exams than I am. I wonder how our respective grades will turn out.

Of course, if my con law final is any indication, fleeing to Angola to avoid loan debt might be a good idea for me. 8)

Snooker
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Snooker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:32 am

I am not actually working very hard, I worked like 5 hours today and I am going hiking tomorrow. I don't really need to review anything other than practice exams and multiple choice. My main strategy this year has been efficiency, so it seems like I am getting a lot done, but it's in a small time frame. Everyone else is reviewing and cramming and I'm past that. Practice tests are important and useful, and I am glad I ordered my study strategy to give myself lots of time to do them. I am becoming something of a bar review celebrity. (I believe I have attended 20 times as many bar reviews as you now!)

What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 am

Snooker wrote:What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?


Most of them, if the debt isn't to that third world country.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 am

Snooker wrote:I am not actually working very hard, I worked like 5 hours today and I am going hiking tomorrow. I don't really need to review anything other than practice exams and multiple choice. My main strategy this year has been efficiency, so it seems like I am getting a lot done, but it's in a small time frame. Everyone else is reviewing and cramming and I'm past that. Practice tests are important and useful, and I am glad I ordered my study strategy to give myself lots of time to do them. I am becoming something of a bar review celebrity. (I believe I have attended 20 times as many bar reviews as you now!)

What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?


Wrong. 20x 0 is still 0. :mrgreen:

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Snooker wrote:What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?


Most of them, if the debt isn't to that third world country.


If I wind up in the bottom 1/3rd I'll start a TLS debtors retreat in a third world country TBA.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Broke 8,000 today (3 1/2 hours). My fingers are still numb.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:Broke 8,000 today (3 1/2 hours). My fingers are still numb.


Damn. Today was my first (and hopefully only ever) 4-hour exam; I wrote until there were about 10 minutes left and I was out of things to talk about, and then I went ahead and stopped and polished a little. I still only hit 7,300 words.

How did you do on Crim? Hopefully didn't wreck the curve too much for me.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 pm

broke 10,000 today in four hours

suck it bitches.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 pm

CE2JD wrote:broke 10,000 today in four hours

suck it bitches.


God damn, dude, did you write a treatise on negligence in there? Are you going to try to publish it as a note? Jesus, that's crazy... 10,000 words. Damn.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm

This is not flame:

I really really think I just totally anally ravaged my Torts test today. I typed pretty much non-stop the whole time and felt like everything I said was at least somewhat relevant.

Hopefully Arrow's 10,000 word rule for getting As applies in my case given that my Crim and Ks exams were around 6,000 (meaning a B+ is likely).

But then again, long doesn't necessarily mean a better grade, blah blah...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm

CE2JD wrote:This is not flame:

I really really think I just totally anally ravaged my Torts test today. I typed pretty much non-stop the whole time and felt like everything I said was at least somewhat relevant.

Hopefully Arrow's 10,000 word rule for getting As applies in my case given that my Crim and Ks exams were around 6,000 (meaning a B+ is likely).


Fuck. It's all B+s for me then.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:This is not flame:

I really really think I just totally anally ravaged my Torts test today. I typed pretty much non-stop the whole time and felt like everything I said was at least somewhat relevant.

Hopefully Arrow's 10,000 word rule for getting As applies in my case given that my Crim and Ks exams were around 6,000 (meaning a B+ is likely).


Fuck. It's all B+s for me then.


I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 pm

CE2JD wrote:I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?


I hit 6400 on Crim, but that was a 3.5 hour test. This was the first time I broke 7000 at all.

I was being all proud of myself today before I read your comment. Goddamn.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?


I hit 6400 on Crim, but that was a 3.5 hour test. This was the first time I broke 7000 at all.

I was being all proud of myself today before I read your comment. Goddamn.


I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like all 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm

CE2JD wrote:I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.


At least with my 7,000 words I felt like everything I was saying actually needed to be said. That might mean I don't get points for minor issues, but I'll at least hopefully get all the possible points for clearly going through all the major ones. I'll take an A- if I can get one.

It's gonna be a long, long wait for grades to come out. Did you see that grades will be posted "by February 1"? Fuck that. I'm gonna spend my whole winter break wondering whether I fucked up everywhere already or not.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.


At least with my 7,000 words I felt like everything I was saying actually needed to be said. That might mean I don't get points for minor issues, but I'll at least hopefully get all the possible points for clearly going through all the major ones. I'll take an A- if I can get one.

It's gonna be a long, long wait for grades to come out. Did you see that grades will be posted "by February 1"? Fuck that. I'm gonna spend my whole winter break wondering whether I fucked up everywhere already or not.


Yeah, Feb 1 is a ridiculous amount of time to give professors to grade exams. No wonder nobody gets 1L firm jobs from UVA. By the time we get our grades all of the positions are filled up (not that it matters ITE).

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.


At least with my 7,000 words I felt like everything I was saying actually needed to be said. That might mean I don't get points for minor issues, but I'll at least hopefully get all the possible points for clearly going through all the major ones. I'll take an A- if I can get one.

It's gonna be a long, long wait for grades to come out. Did you see that grades will be posted "by February 1"? Fuck that. I'm gonna spend my whole winter break wondering whether I fucked up everywhere already or not.


This is a dirty lie. I have it on information and belief that our torts prof's grading policy is to not begin grading until just before (or after) the deadline, and to try to get first year grades done first. I wouldn't expect marks from torts until early February (like, the 5th or so)

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:This is a dirty lie. I have it on information and belief that our torts prof's grading policy is to not begin grading until just before (or after) the deadline, and to try to get first year grades done first. I wouldn't expect marks from torts until early February (like, the 5th or so)


On information and belief? Are you afraid you're going to face Rule 11 sanctions if this turns out to be false? Haha, at least we're moving past Torts and gearing up for Civ Pro now.

He did sound like a until-the-last-minute person regarding exams in general, though.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm

i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!


Superior Genetics.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:52 pm

CE2JD wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!


Superior Genetics.


hah or bullshit

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!


magic.

idk, I just kept typing until I ran out of time.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Postby Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 pm

I have a crim law final tomorrow, which I think will be 1/2 hour of mandatory reading, followed by 3 1/2 hours of typing. If I break 6000 words I'll be satisfied, 7000 and I'll be quite happy. 8000 or more and I'll pee my pants with glee.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests