How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Snooker

Bronze

Re: How many words (on average) do you write for exam answer?

Post by Snooker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 pm

dresden doll wrote:Dude, I spent three hours of Civ Pro exam brain vomiting whatever I could think of onto pages and I still wound up with around 4,500 words. No way could I have written more than that and I wasted practically no time looking at the outline.

8,000 in three hours = insane.
the 4k range sounds right. I have taken a lot of contracts ultra-dense hypos and going through every single issue in the book, hitting every issue on there (40+ I am sure), I'm still around 1,500 or so words per hour. I use the concise format of GTM which may be a reason. There is zero redundancy in my exams. Even my 1500 - 2000 words per hour is 15-20 pages, a crap load to read. My profs also give points for style, and I always make sure things look good.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 am

Snooker wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Dude, I spent three hours of Civ Pro exam brain vomiting whatever I could think of onto pages and I still wound up with around 4,500 words. No way could I have written more than that and I wasted practically no time looking at the outline.

the 4k range sounds right. I have taken a lot of contracts ultra-dense hypos and going through every single issue in the book, hitting every issue on there (40+ I am sure), I'm still around 1,500 or so words per hour. I use the concise format of GTM which may be a reason. There is zero redundancy in my exams. Even my 1500 - 2000 words per hour is 15-20 pages, a crap load to read. My profs also give points for style, and I always make sure things look good.
what a champion.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 am

superserial wrote:
Snooker wrote:

what a champion.
lol. Snooker, you always put me to shame. You seem to be putting waaaaaaaay more effort into your exams than I am. I wonder how our respective grades will turn out.

Of course, if my con law final is any indication, fleeing to Angola to avoid loan debt might be a good idea for me. 8)

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:32 am

I am not actually working very hard, I worked like 5 hours today and I am going hiking tomorrow. I don't really need to review anything other than practice exams and multiple choice. My main strategy this year has been efficiency, so it seems like I am getting a lot done, but it's in a small time frame. Everyone else is reviewing and cramming and I'm past that. Practice tests are important and useful, and I am glad I ordered my study strategy to give myself lots of time to do them. I am becoming something of a bar review celebrity. (I believe I have attended 20 times as many bar reviews as you now!)

What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 am

Snooker wrote:What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?
Most of them, if the debt isn't to that third world country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 am

Snooker wrote:I am not actually working very hard, I worked like 5 hours today and I am going hiking tomorrow. I don't really need to review anything other than practice exams and multiple choice. My main strategy this year has been efficiency, so it seems like I am getting a lot done, but it's in a small time frame. Everyone else is reviewing and cramming and I'm past that. Practice tests are important and useful, and I am glad I ordered my study strategy to give myself lots of time to do them. I am becoming something of a bar review celebrity. (I believe I have attended 20 times as many bar reviews as you now!)

What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?
Wrong. 20x 0 is still 0. :mrgreen:

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Snooker wrote:What third world countries allow you to avoid debt by the way?
Most of them, if the debt isn't to that third world country.
If I wind up in the bottom 1/3rd I'll start a TLS debtors retreat in a third world country TBA.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Broke 8,000 today (3 1/2 hours). My fingers are still numb.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Cavalier wrote:Broke 8,000 today (3 1/2 hours). My fingers are still numb.
Damn. Today was my first (and hopefully only ever) 4-hour exam; I wrote until there were about 10 minutes left and I was out of things to talk about, and then I went ahead and stopped and polished a little. I still only hit 7,300 words.

How did you do on Crim? Hopefully didn't wreck the curve too much for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 pm

broke 10,000 today in four hours

suck it bitches.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 pm

CE2JD wrote:broke 10,000 today in four hours

suck it bitches.
God damn, dude, did you write a treatise on negligence in there? Are you going to try to publish it as a note? Jesus, that's crazy... 10,000 words. Damn.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm

This is not flame:

I really really think I just totally anally ravaged my Torts test today. I typed pretty much non-stop the whole time and felt like everything I said was at least somewhat relevant.

Hopefully Arrow's 10,000 word rule for getting As applies in my case given that my Crim and Ks exams were around 6,000 (meaning a B+ is likely).

But then again, long doesn't necessarily mean a better grade, blah blah...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm

CE2JD wrote:This is not flame:

I really really think I just totally anally ravaged my Torts test today. I typed pretty much non-stop the whole time and felt like everything I said was at least somewhat relevant.

Hopefully Arrow's 10,000 word rule for getting As applies in my case given that my Crim and Ks exams were around 6,000 (meaning a B+ is likely).
Fuck. It's all B+s for me then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:This is not flame:

Fuck. It's all B+s for me then.
I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:09 pm

CE2JD wrote:I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?
I hit 6400 on Crim, but that was a 3.5 hour test. This was the first time I broke 7000 at all.

I was being all proud of myself today before I read your comment. Goddamn.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I thought you were up in the 7000 range for your tests that didn't have word limits?
I hit 6400 on Crim, but that was a 3.5 hour test. This was the first time I broke 7000 at all.

I was being all proud of myself today before I read your comment. Goddamn.
I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like all 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm

CE2JD wrote:I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.
At least with my 7,000 words I felt like everything I was saying actually needed to be said. That might mean I don't get points for minor issues, but I'll at least hopefully get all the possible points for clearly going through all the major ones. I'll take an A- if I can get one.

It's gonna be a long, long wait for grades to come out. Did you see that grades will be posted "by February 1"? Fuck that. I'm gonna spend my whole winter break wondering whether I fucked up everywhere already or not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I definitely had more tangentially-related stuff on my Torts exam. My Crim test was also 3.5 hours and I only wrote 5,000 (FML) but I felt like 5,000 words were directed at the core issues.
At least with my 7,000 words I felt like everything I was saying actually needed to be said. That might mean I don't get points for minor issues, but I'll at least hopefully get all the possible points for clearly going through all the major ones. I'll take an A- if I can get one.

It's gonna be a long, long wait for grades to come out. Did you see that grades will be posted "by February 1"? Fuck that. I'm gonna spend my whole winter break wondering whether I fucked up everywhere already or not.
Yeah, Feb 1 is a ridiculous amount of time to give professors to grade exams. No wonder nobody gets 1L firm jobs from UVA. By the time we get our grades all of the positions are filled up (not that it matters ITE).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

This is a dirty lie. I have it on information and belief that our torts prof's grading policy is to not begin grading until just before (or after) the deadline, and to try to get first year grades done first. I wouldn't expect marks from torts until early February (like, the 5th or so)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:This is a dirty lie. I have it on information and belief that our torts prof's grading policy is to not begin grading until just before (or after) the deadline, and to try to get first year grades done first. I wouldn't expect marks from torts until early February (like, the 5th or so)
On information and belief? Are you afraid you're going to face Rule 11 sanctions if this turns out to be false? Haha, at least we're moving past Torts and gearing up for Civ Pro now.

He did sound like a until-the-last-minute person regarding exams in general, though.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm

i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!
Superior Genetics.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:52 pm

CE2JD wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:i did about 3000 just a bit ago on a 3hr 20min contract test with 3 questions. How the #&*@ are people getting these huge amounts of words down?!
Superior Genetics.
hah or bullshit

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm

magic.

idk, I just kept typing until I ran out of time.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 pm

I have a crim law final tomorrow, which I think will be 1/2 hour of mandatory reading, followed by 3 1/2 hours of typing. If I break 6000 words I'll be satisfied, 7000 and I'll be quite happy. 8000 or more and I'll pee my pants with glee.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”