LEEWS seminar?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JMD.USMC

LEEWS seminar?

Postby JMD.USMC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Has anyone taken this?

Thoughts?

http://www.leews.com

JMD.USMC

Re: LEEWS seminar?

Postby JMD.USMC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:09 pm

anyone???

Nothing??

chris1987

Postby chris1987 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Kind of worthless--it doesn't take 8 hours to learn how to structure a law exam answer.

nianlong

Postby nianlong » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

I did the audio LEEWS over the summer. Tried to review one of the CD's again the other day and the guy annoyed me so much I just turned it off. There's some good advice in there, I think, but it's hidden in a lot of useless ramblings from a guy that sounds like he's on an infomercial.

The most useful part I can remember is the advice to set up "conflict pairs" as an outline to make sure you address all sides of any legal issue in a given fact pattern.

Several people on this board swear by the LEEWS method, though.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 am

There must be a torrent of the audio files somewhere on the internet, if you really want to check it out without having to pay for it

Not that I'm endorsing that sort of thing

M51

Postby M51 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 am

Largely useless imo if you have access to past exams and model answers of at least one traditional professor at your LS.
LEEWS does not help w/ non-traditional tests, and I cannot stress how easy it is to figure out his "advice" for tranditional exams by yourself if you have half a brain and take test-prep seriously (which, you obv do if you're considering LEEWS in the first place). Instead of spending time on LEEWS, spend time trying to figure out how that model exam guy knew which sentences would get points (and how he wrote all of that that fast). You should be able to more or less write the model exam by test time.

Study past exams, make up your own test strategies. They'll be just as good, if not better than LEEWS. LEEWS money-back guarentees you at least a B average. I don't know how it is at other law schools, but here it's something like bottom 5-25th percentile. That's what LEEWS helps you accomplish: Not Failing. I specifically rejected most of what LEEWS said second semester and my grades went up dramatically.

My two cents.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:30 am

nianlong wrote:I did the audio LEEWS over the summer. Tried to review one of the CD's again the other day and the guy annoyed me so much I just turned it off. There's some good advice in there, I think, but it's hidden in a lot of useless ramblings from a guy that sounds like he's on an infomercial.

The most useful part I can remember is the advice to set up "conflict pairs" as an outline to make sure you address all sides of any legal issue in a given fact pattern.

Several people on this board swear by the LEEWS method, though.

This was kind of my experience. The beginning was a horrible info-mercial, the middle was VERY good, and the end left me kind of empty. I am going to use Getting to Maybe to fill in the analysis gaps......I really liked when Miller went into his back and forth explanation of the Torts hypo for step...3 I believe? Like finding the second assault against PN, that was crazy stuff. I hope I see things like that when I am taking my exams....... :?

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:23 am

Read Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon. Form your own opinion of Atticus and LEEWS. If your interested I have the LEEWS course will give it at no cost...

nianlong

Postby nianlong » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:55 pm

I am going to use Getting to Maybe to fill in the analysis gaps

yeah, I re-read the first chapter of GTM the other day and I immediately recognized points that my professors have been trying to stress about exploring the ambiguity of the law. LEEWS says that as well, but it takes the guy eight hours to say it.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:10 pm

nianlong wrote:
I am going to use Getting to Maybe to fill in the analysis gaps

yeah, I re-read the first chapter of GTM the other day and I immediately recognized points that my professors have been trying to stress about exploring the ambiguity of the law. LEEWS says that as well, but it takes the guy eight hours to say it.

Yeah, with LEEWS it is kind of funny. Sometimes I think the program is genius and then other times I feel like I bought some kind of infomercial "self-help motivation" seminar. I love the "nitpicking the rules" stuff, however, he seemed to go a little overboard at times with the whole "snow white" and "what was PN wearing" for intent stuff. I see where he is going but if people take him literally they might get slammed come exam time. I would still recommend the program though.

nianlong

Postby nianlong » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 pm

All his unnecessary abbreviations got on my nerves something awful. "write 'DP' for "doesn't want to pay." It kind of reminds me of Michael Scott from The Office and his off-the-wall pneumonic devices. I can just imagine somebody confusing the hell out of themselves with that nonsense.

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 am

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hera

Postby Hera » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:44 pm

____
Last edited by Hera on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Hera wrote:I wish I would have found this post sooner. I bought LEEWS on CDs because of all they hype and recommendations on the TLS/How to do well articles, and now regret wasting $160. I am about half-way through the CDs and don't really agree with his method so far. There are supposedly only 3 steps so why does it take 9 hours to explain them??
GTM and it is helpful just in getting you see that you should be actively looking for ambiguity wherever you can find it. I don't know think the book needed to be longer than 50 pages though; it's very repetitive.

P.S. I am willing to resell my CDs if anyone's looking. PM me.

With this glowing review, how could I not buy them from you? :wink:

Postby 06072010 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 pm

mhernton wrote:Read Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon. Form your own opinion of Atticus and LEEWS. If your interested I have the LEEWS course will give it at no cost...

1. Atticus is a douche and his book sucks
2. I surely hope you aren't infringing anyone's intellectual property rights on here.

Hera

Postby Hera » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 am

Just thought I'd do an update so I'm not contradicting myself.

To be honest, when I first started doing LEEWS, I was a little frustrated and wasn't sure that it would be helpful. However, after getting my exam grades, I realize that it was very helpful. It helps you understand how to tackle law school exams, which is an essential part to acing law school exams.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am

0Ls be advised - this is just the first in a long succession of semi-worthless products designed to turn your anxiety into $$$

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 am

blsingindisguise wrote:0Ls be advised - this is just the first in a long succession of semi-worthless products designed to turn your anxiety into $$$

Not quite. I think people should definitely hit LEEWS up about halfway through fall semester of their 1L year to get in the taking a law school exam mindset. You don't necessarily have to do everything he says, but the nitpicking the facts areas of the program are invaluable for people who already don't get it (or think they do but really don't).

Postby 270910 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 am

blsingindisguise wrote:0Ls be advised - this is just the first in a long succession of semi-worthless products designed to turn your anxiety into $$$

LEEWS is controversial, but a substantial proportion of the people who did well credit LEEWS with being an important contribution to their success.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am

What are people's thoughts on reading just the book and not the doing the audio CD's?

tome

Postby tome » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:34 pm

I know a few top 2Ls that did it and think it really helped them. I think it is good to have a foundation on what is expected in a law school exam. Sort of like the LSAT--I don't think it matters if you read a book on the LSAT, do a course, or just do a ton of practice tests (or even which company's products you use), it just matters that you do something to familiarize yourself with the expectations.

I read Getting to Maybe Instead, and that gave me everything I needed to know. I would recommend doing one of them--or something similar to one of them.

I have heard people say that you could not understand Getting to Maybe before you have a few months of law school under your belt. I think this is false, for what its worth; I read it cover to cover about a month before law school and that was all I needed. Sure I had forgotten all the the details and different categories of problem they had set up, but I think all you need is a general understanding of what is expected of you. To be honest, trying to force your answers into some pre-designed schematic might even be a pitfall, and so a little distance from the method you chose might be a good thing.

virginny

Postby virginny » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Before I took my first law school exams I thought LEEWS was golden.

Afterward I realized it wasn't so helpful.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

virginny wrote:Before I took my first law school exams I thought LEEWS was golden.

See, comments like this lead me to think that you didn't take away the main point of LEEWS and just focused on the strategies and organization methods. There are a lot of gold tidbits in LEEWS and you have to pull out the important things and not get hung up on the unimportant minutae.

virginny

Postby virginny » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 am

A'nold wrote:
virginny wrote:Before I took my first law school exams I thought LEEWS was golden.

See, comments like this lead me to think that you didn't take away the main point of LEEWS and just focused on the strategies and organization methods. There are a lot of gold tidbits in LEEWS and you have to pull out the important things and not get hung up on the unimportant minutae.

Example of a gold tidbit? Maybe I did miss them.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”