One Note

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
angiej

Re: One Note

Postby angiej » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 am

Matthies wrote:
angiej wrote:
Connelly wrote:Great thread. Special thanks to Matthies for sharing.

Another option for backing up OneNote files is Windows Live Mesh. It is similar to Dropbox and other technologies, but it has been so easy and reliable for me. It syncs up to 5 GB between any "device" that you set up and an online location. A device is usually a computer, but it could be a Windows Mobile device as well. Mesh also gives you the option to remote control any other computers in your Mesh. So even if you're at school and forgot a file on your desktop at home, you could Mesh into your desktop from your laptop in class and copy the file to your laptop.

A word of caution on using automatic services like Mesh and Dropbox to back up OneNote files - only have one copy of the OneNote file(s) open at a time. Don't leave it up on your desktop at home and then try to edit the same file on your laptop. This can cause problems.

OneNote ftmf'nw.

How much does mesh cost?

Free, so is skydrive, all part of the windows live download, all you need is a windows live ID or hotmail account and those free too

Do the docs have to be on a computer's harddrive in order to retrieve remotley? And does the remote computer have to be online?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08 am

No you upload the docs from your computer to the SkyDrive, Mesh or Dropbox and they exist in the “cloud” i.e. on the internet in an internet drive. So you don’t have to keep a copy on your computer. But you do need to be online to access them, and if you make any changes you should upload the newest version (if your suing Sky or Drop box, Mesh does that on its own i think). Unless you’re using Office live then you can update in the program word .docs online through your browser and it keeps them up to date, but does not support OneNote yet.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:12 am

Sorry if this was brought up, but I don't have time to read through all the posts.

For Mac users - what do you use since there's no OneNote for us?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:Sorry if this was brought up, but I don't have time to read through all the posts.

read nine posts back

Postby 20160810 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:57 pm

wiseowl wrote:Open-note exam + OneNote + CTRL-F = victory

I could see this being pretty sweet, but my LS requires us to use ExamSoft for tests, which supposedly shuts down all other computer programs, so we have to bring in printed outlines.

superserial

Postby superserial » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:18 pm

can I run it through windows on my mac without any problems?

Postby 270910 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Open-note exam + OneNote + CTRL-F = victory

I could see this being pretty sweet, but my LS requires us to use ExamSoft for tests, which supposedly shuts down all other computer programs, so we have to bring in printed outlines.

0.0 the poor trees...

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:04 am

This thread is golden. Thanks for the screenshots!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 am

superserial wrote:can I run it through windows on my mac without any problems?

Yes, it runs fine in Vmware or Parallels. Also, the 2007 version runs perfectly in Crossover for Mac. (The 2008 version runs decently but according to their compatability list has a few minor issues.)

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Matthies wrote:
angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE

I am most psyched about this as I type a lot of my notes for class. Is there something I need to do to set this up? I keep getting a pop up that asks me about indexing, should I enable indexing to make this work?

Indexing? I don't remeber seeing that. It does allow you to do audio search by typing a word in the search box, but I'm not sure what indexing is. Check the help file. Also for best results get a small unidirectional microphone, I havbe a sony one that is about as big as two AA batters end to end. It only records what you point it at, so you don't get the sound of your neighbor typing or someone behind you talking. Also be sure to ask your profs if its OK to reconrd, some don't like it, I uasually said I will just use it to fill in my notes and delate later (but I really did not take many notes in law school) I use it alot now at work though to record convserations while I make notes.

I got the error message again last night so I did a screen capture but can't figure out how to post it. I pasted it into a word doc.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 pm

angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:
angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE

I am most psyched about this as I type a lot of my notes for class. Is there something I need to do to set this up? I keep getting a pop up that asks me about indexing, should I enable indexing to make this work?

Indexing? I don't remeber seeing that. It does allow you to do audio search by typing a word in the search box, but I'm not sure what indexing is. Check the help file. Also for best results get a small unidirectional microphone, I havbe a sony one that is about as big as two AA batters end to end. It only records what you point it at, so you don't get the sound of your neighbor typing or someone behind you talking. Also be sure to ask your profs if its OK to reconrd, some don't like it, I uasually said I will just use it to fill in my notes and delate later (but I really did not take many notes in law school) I use it alot now at work though to record convserations while I make notes.

I got the error message again last night so I did a screen capture but can't figure out how to post it. I pasted it into a word doc.

upload the pic to like flicer then link to it

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Matthies wrote:upload the pic to like flicer then link to it

I can't seem to get the printscreen to a jpeg format to upload it to flicker (or photo bucket). Right now its just a word doc.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Print screen it and then open up Microsoft Paint, paste.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Eh I did it the long way, word print to adobe then save as jpeg.

Anyway, here it is:

--ImageRemoved--

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:21 pm

angiej wrote:Eh I did it the long way, word print to adobe then save as jpeg.

Anyway, here it is:

--ImageRemoved--

I've never run into that, try installing what it wants you to isntall and see if it works

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I feel like the people using One Note in class are so much more advanced than I am with my lowly OpenOffice suite :(

I don't see any reason for One Note. Microsoft Word is good enough for me. Most people still use paper notebooks.

But I feel so inadequate!!!!!!!!!! Wahhhhhhh!!!!

lol me too. i just use Word :(

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Sorry if this was brought up, but I don't have time to read through all the posts.

I use Notebook by Circus Ponies for class notes http://www.circusponies.com/

Also this site has some reviews for software for law students on the mac http://maclawstudents.com/

angiej

Postby angiej » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 am

I took notes via Onenote all last week and I am so hooked! I use the audio record feature while using my internal microphone on my netbook. The sound quality is okay, and I can hear the prof okay, but the typing noise from my typing away on my computer is a little distracting. So I'm thinking about getting a plug in microphone, though I wonder if I would still hear the same typing noise (but hoping it would be less loud/overbearing). Any thoughts?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 pm

angiej wrote:I took notes via Onenote all last week and I am so hooked! I use the audio record feature while using my internal microphone on my netbook. The sound quality is okay, and I can hear the prof okay, but the typing noise from my typing away on my computer is a little distracting. So I'm thinking about getting a plug in microphone, though I wonder if I would still hear the same typing noise (but hoping it would be less loud/overbearing). Any thoughts?

I can't find any hits for the one I have buts it seems very simualr to this one --LinkRemoved--

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 am

I'm here to eat crow.

When I first entered this thread, I lightly teased someone for liking CTRL + F in onenote, pointing out you could do the same in word. Everyone then convinced me to use OneNote.

On my Torts midterm, we are allowed to use all classnotes on our computer... honestly we can use literally anything as long as it is our own work (ie if I took notes reading a supp, or from class, etc).

There was an issue in the exam that was not in my outline (not that I used my outline much at all during the exam anyways) and didn't come to mind really quickly.

I ctrl+f'd in onenote and it popped up in a random classnote I decided to take down completely unformatted when the professor was opining about something one day.

It was, albeit well-hidden, a major issue. Thanks OneNote and people on this thread!

I still probably sucked on the rest of the exam, but that's ok.

edit - wow I'm burned out. Mixing up "hear" and "here." Weee 2 hours of sleep. Weeee.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 pm

^^^ Wow what a great testimony! :wink:

I found on the microsoft online templates a form for a case brief in onenote and thought it might be helpful to some of you law students.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:55 am

angiej wrote:^^^ Wow what a great testimony! :wink:

I found on the microsoft online templates a form for a case brief in onenote and thought it might be helpful to some of you law students.

I used the case brief template for awhile, but then ended up making my own. Its so easy to make templates in OneNote that you can make them for anything and have them be the default template in a notebook. Search help + templates for directions on how to make them. I have like 10 custom templates now that I made. Makes things so much easier when you use the same headings all the time just to have a template already setup.

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:51 am

Is there a specific template or tool that helps with creating outlines?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:26 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:Is there a specific template or tool that helps with creating outlines?

The outlining in Onenote is pretty easy, it formats itself while you make it. I don't know of any templtes but you can allways make your own and set it as the default templte for a notebook

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Matthies wrote:
jamaicanjynx wrote:Is there a specific template or tool that helps with creating outlines?

The outlining in Onenote is pretty easy, it formats itself while you make it. I don't know of any templtes but you can allways make your own and set it as the default templte for a notebook

ok. thanks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”