One Note Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dood

Gold

Re: One Note

Post by dood » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

dood et. al: thanks for taking the time to talk about onenote and sharing your screenshot with me. I started using it today. I dunno what the hell I was ever thinking not using it. TYVM and apologies for my skepticism/initial criticisms.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm

apper123 wrote:dood et. al: thanks for taking the time to talk about onenote and sharing your screenshot with me. I started using it today. I dunno what the hell I was ever thinking not using it. TYVM and apologies for my skepticism/initial criticisms.
Another one sees the light!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:33 pm

I've been using this on you all's recommendation and it is amazing! I can't believe I didn't use this before!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:50 pm

I've decided to start using it as well if only because of the hyperlinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Question 1. I'm a total nerd and I like to audio record some of my classes (I'm taking a class right now where there is no textbook, its all based on what the prof is telling us - so i record). Am i correct that onenote has an audio recording feature? If so, how long will it record? A 3-hour class?

Question 2. I have a lot of downtime at the office (that does not have or will allow me to install onenote to my office computer). Is there any way I can open onenote using another program like notepad, word, adobe, anything??? Or would I have to convert onenote to word each time I know I will want to look at something at the office (seems like a big hassle and would take pre-planning).

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm

angiej wrote:Question 1. I'm a total nerd and I like to audio record some of my classes (I'm taking a class right now where there is no textbook, its all based on what the prof is telling us - so i record). Am i correct that onenote has an audio recording feature? If so, how long will it record? A 3-hour class?
Yes, and as long as need be.
angiej wrote:Question 2. I have a lot of downtime at the office (that does not have or will allow me to install onenote to my office computer). Is there any way I can open onenote using another program like notepad, word, adobe, anything??? Or would I have to convert onenote to word each time I know I will want to look at something at the office (seems like a big hassle and would take pre-planning).
hmm... I don't think so. Each 'page' can be saved as a word document or PDF though, so if you were expecting it in advance you could export them for usage that way.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 pm

angiej wrote:Question 2. I have a lot of downtime at the office (that does not have or will allow me to install onenote to my office computer). Is there any way I can open onenote using another program like notepad, word, adobe, anything??? Or would I have to convert onenote to word each time I know I will want to look at something at the office (seems like a big hassle and would take pre-planning).
It would be a pain; not doable if you want to do any editing at all.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:46 am

A couple of things about oneNote I have used it since 2003 Version and still use it for my legal work. I've even made client, billing and intake notebooks and put them on the MSN site u can DL for free.

Templates are great in ON, you can make a template for your brief then just fill in the parts for each new case, search Help+templtes

The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE

To run one note on two computers and keep it synced download Windows Live Synch and have it synch your one notenote folder with the other computer (this will sync any windows file as well) so that ever time you turn on your computer with net access they will sync. Any changes made in one are reflected in the other.

Use the OnenNote clip feature in IE 7 or 8 to send a whole webapge to your notebook. For PDFs to add them to your notebook do print, then select "Print to One Note"

When you copy text from anywhere on the web ON will inster a link into you note book. Also works for when you copy files there like a .doc file. Links back to orginal AND saves copy in ON

Drag and drop or do intsert and put your word doc files in your ON note book, this makes a second copy outside you’re my docs in ON for crash safty.

Set up your custom tags. You can make tags with an icon for everything like a red ! For "exam related" then you can search all your notebooks for any red ! And see the results on one page. I have tags for everything, make call, e-mail this, blog that, research this, key fact ect. You can custom them from the tag drop down.

If you use MS Outlook there is a send to onenote option In outlook, click that and it sends the entire e-mail to your one note (shows up in the default unfiled notes tab). This is great for job search, make a Folder called Jones, Smith LLC, through your resume in there as a file from word in one folder, another folder put the e-mails you sent and then any e-mails you got. Keep everything in one plac (it incluces attachments too). Its will date/time stamp ur e-mail and a copy will stay in ON even if you detale in Outlook

Also if you have Outlook you can then us the Tag "To DO" and make a to do list in ON, then use the Task tag to tag it "tomorrow" or next week, then it will automatically show up in your Outlook todo list. You can also add calendar dates and contacts this way.

You can also cut past anything into yolu notes, pictures, websites, power point slides ect. Even lexis case notes.

It’s a great organization software and it does so much more than just notes for school, I keep all my client, billing, research on it. Its like having an electronic file cabinet for everything.

Rumor has it Office 2010 will have office live features for one not on the net. Currently office live gives you 20 gig of free space for word docs, use it to back up, also you can set up folder to share with your classmates when your working on a group project so everyone has the most recent version of the doc to work with. All free. Also MS Skydrive is a 20 gig (I think) online drive that you can use to back up files and acesss from any computer on the internet. All free with a MSN Live user name (or hotmail name).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:35 am

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 am

blhoward2 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
BigAristotle wrote:OneNote has made my life infinitely easier. I spend about 3 seconds formatting notes into readable format, opposed to the rather junky way Word handles it. I literally waste no time in formatting, and synthesizing notes from OneNote to a skeleton outline is a breeze. I'm never scared of a cold-call, even if I've been zoning, all it takes is one click and my case notes are in front of me, in glorious fashion, with no delay. Being able to simply click and write in the margins, or annotate my notes in various ways allows a lot more customization in how you take notes.

I don't see why anyone would use Word, simply because it's the default word processing program. I think you'll end up paying for it later in the semester when you either A) Have a few giant word docs you have to sift through for information, or B) you have 45 or more documents with notes. It just isn't as efficient.
I hate formatting word. I am getting One Note RIGHT NOW..... hahahahah wow

Is it available for Mac?
One Note is not available for the mac but it is based on the "Notebook" view in Word on Mac. It has the same basic layout and functionality...

Oh, I did not know that! I have just been using evernote on my mac. How do I get to the notebook view in Mac office (total mac noob)?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:45 am

Matthies wrote:The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE
I am most psyched about this as I type a lot of my notes for class. Is there something I need to do to set this up? I keep getting a pop up that asks me about indexing, should I enable indexing to make this work?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:57 am

angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE
I am most psyched about this as I type a lot of my notes for class. Is there something I need to do to set this up? I keep getting a pop up that asks me about indexing, should I enable indexing to make this work?

Indexing? I don't remeber seeing that. It does allow you to do audio search by typing a word in the search box, but I'm not sure what indexing is. Check the help file. Also for best results get a small unidirectional microphone, I havbe a sony one that is about as big as two AA batters end to end. It only records what you point it at, so you don't get the sound of your neighbor typing or someone behind you talking. Also be sure to ask your profs if its OK to reconrd, some don't like it, I uasually said I will just use it to fill in my notes and delate later (but I really did not take many notes in law school) I use it alot now at work though to record convserations while I make notes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:58 am

Here is a screen capture on my evidence outline forthe bar, on the left you can see all my tags so I can quickly click one

--ImageRemoved--

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:59 am

Matthies wrote:
angiej wrote:

Indexing? I don't remeber seeing that. It does allow you to do audio search by typing a word in the search box, but I'm not sure what indexing is. Check the help file. Also for best results get a small unidirectional microphone, I havbe a sony one that is about as big as two AA batters end to end. It only records what you point it at, so you don't get the sound of your neighbor typing or someone behind you talking. Also be sure to ask your profs if its OK to reconrd, some don't like it, I uasually said I will just use it to fill in my notes and delate later (but I really did not take many notes in law school) I use it alot now at work though to record convserations while I make notes.
So I should be able to just record via audio icon on ON and type away . . . then later go back and click on the word plus the audio icon and it will give me that part of the recording?

Also, I save nothing to my computer, all on jump drive backed up with an external hard drive. Does ON work if I'm saving it to something other than the computer . . . and can I then use it on two computers that both have ON?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 am

angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:
angiej wrote:

So I should be able to just record via audio icon on ON and type away . . . then later go back and click on the word plus the audio icon and it will give me that part of the recording?

Also, I save nothing to my computer, all on jump drive backed up with an external hard drive. Does ON work if I'm saving it to something other than the computer . . . and can I then use it on two computers that both have ON?
Yea once you turn off the recording it will then be ready for you to listen. Hold your mouse in front of the sentence you typed and want to re-listen to and push the blue play button that pops up then the recording will start from that point. And will go till you click stop.

I’m not sure about a jump drive. I tried saving my ON folder to Dropbox which is an online storage site and using it on two computers but that messed it up, it kept creating new folders on both computers as it tried to synch.

I think maybe if you set the notebook up to save on the jump drive when you create it, then on your other ON computer use open notebook” and navigate to the jump drive that might work. Try it with some none important files first.

But, do you back up your jump drive, because those are easier to lose than computers!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 am

Matthies wrote:But, do you back up your jump drive, because those are easier to lose than computers!
Thanks, yes I backup my jump drive to an extern hard drive every weekend. I'm paranoid about losing that thing. I even have a sticker on it with my info and stating that I will reward if lost. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:57 am

angiej wrote:
Matthies wrote:But, do you back up your jump drive, because those are easier to lose than computers!
Thanks, yes I backup my jump drive to an extern hard drive every weekend. I'm paranoid about losing that thing. I even have a sticker on it with my info and stating that I will reward if lost. :lol:

Smart, in law school I mostly book briefed after 1L, so if I lost my book I would be screwed. At the start of every semster I wrote on the front inside cover of my book my name, e-mail, phone number and the semster and year (so people would know if they found it it was not a used book) and that I would reward anyone returning it. I never lost a book, but a freind who copied what I did, did, and then someone tunred it in to the deans office and they called him and he got his book back. Before I sold them back I just crossed out the info.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:16 am

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:03 am

One note is like bringing a minigun to a knife fight.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Great thread. Special thanks to Matthies for sharing.

Another option for backing up OneNote files is Windows Live Mesh. It is similar to Dropbox and other technologies, but it has been so easy and reliable for me. It syncs up to 5 GB between any "device" that you set up and an online location. A device is usually a computer, but it could be a Windows Mobile device as well. Mesh also gives you the option to remote control any other computers in your Mesh. So even if you're at school and forgot a file on your desktop at home, you could Mesh into your desktop from your laptop in class and copy the file to your laptop.

A word of caution on using automatic services like Mesh and Dropbox to back up OneNote files - only have one copy of the OneNote file(s) open at a time. Don't leave it up on your desktop at home and then try to edit the same file on your laptop. This can cause problems.

OneNote ftmf'nw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:54 pm

Your like a genius :)
a tech savy genuis :shock:
Matthies wrote:A couple of things about oneNote I have used it since 2003 Version and still use it for my legal work. I've even made client, billing and intake notebooks and put them on the MSN site u can DL for free.

Templates are great in ON, you can make a template for your brief then just fill in the parts for each new case, search Help+templtes

The ON audio record features synchs with your notes. So as its recoding and you are typing notes they are synched. Simply go back to any note click the audio Icon and ON will start playing the recording from where you typed that word. So if you missed something important you can go back and fill it in in a second. This also works with an external camera, but get an external mike unless your front row. GREAT FEATURE

To run one note on two computers and keep it synced download Windows Live Synch and have it synch your one notenote folder with the other computer (this will sync any windows file as well) so that ever time you turn on your computer with net access they will sync. Any changes made in one are reflected in the other.

Use the OnenNote clip feature in IE 7 or 8 to send a whole webapge to your notebook. For PDFs to add them to your notebook do print, then select "Print to One Note"

When you copy text from anywhere on the web ON will inster a link into you note book. Also works for when you copy files there like a .doc file. Links back to orginal AND saves copy in ON

Drag and drop or do intsert and put your word doc files in your ON note book, this makes a second copy outside you’re my docs in ON for crash safty.

Set up your custom tags. You can make tags with an icon for everything like a red ! For "exam related" then you can search all your notebooks for any red ! And see the results on one page. I have tags for everything, make call, e-mail this, blog that, research this, key fact ect. You can custom them from the tag drop down.

If you use MS Outlook there is a send to onenote option In outlook, click that and it sends the entire e-mail to your one note (shows up in the default unfiled notes tab). This is great for job search, make a Folder called Jones, Smith LLC, through your resume in there as a file from word in one folder, another folder put the e-mails you sent and then any e-mails you got. Keep everything in one plac (it incluces attachments too). Its will date/time stamp ur e-mail and a copy will stay in ON even if you detale in Outlook

Also if you have Outlook you can then us the Tag "To DO" and make a to do list in ON, then use the Task tag to tag it "tomorrow" or next week, then it will automatically show up in your Outlook todo list. You can also add calendar dates and contacts this way.

You can also cut past anything into yolu notes, pictures, websites, power point slides ect. Even lexis case notes.

It’s a great organization software and it does so much more than just notes for school, I keep all my client, billing, research on it. Its like having an electronic file cabinet for everything.

Rumor has it Office 2010 will have office live features for one not on the net. Currently office live gives you 20 gig of free space for word docs, use it to back up, also you can set up folder to share with your classmates when your working on a group project so everyone has the most recent version of the doc to work with. All free. Also MS Skydrive is a 20 gig (I think) online drive that you can use to back up files and acesss from any computer on the internet. All free with a MSN Live user name (or hotmail name).

odonnpj

New

Post by odonnpj » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Wow...I haven't started law school, I'm still in undergrad but after seeing this thread I think I will definitely be playing around with this program in the near future. From what I have read thus far, it seems like an extremely useful tool to have. I don't think I need it for the classes I am taking now, but I think it would be in my best interest to familiarize myself with it.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am

Connelly wrote:Great thread. Special thanks to Matthies for sharing.

Another option for backing up OneNote files is Windows Live Mesh. It is similar to Dropbox and other technologies, but it has been so easy and reliable for me. It syncs up to 5 GB between any "device" that you set up and an online location. A device is usually a computer, but it could be a Windows Mobile device as well. Mesh also gives you the option to remote control any other computers in your Mesh. So even if you're at school and forgot a file on your desktop at home, you could Mesh into your desktop from your laptop in class and copy the file to your laptop.

A word of caution on using automatic services like Mesh and Dropbox to back up OneNote files - only have one copy of the OneNote file(s) open at a time. Don't leave it up on your desktop at home and then try to edit the same file on your laptop. This can cause problems.

OneNote ftmf'nw.
How much does mesh cost?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 am

angiej wrote:
Connelly wrote:Great thread. Special thanks to Matthies for sharing.

OneNote ftmf'nw.
How much does mesh cost?

Free, so is skydrive, all part of the windows live download, all you need is a windows live ID or hotmail account and those free too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”