One Note Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
prezidentv8

Gold

One Note

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am

I feel like the people using One Note in class are so much more advanced than I am with my lowly OpenOffice suite :(

charlesjd

Bronze

Re: One Note

Post by charlesjd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:36 am

prezidentv8 wrote:I feel like the people using One Note in class are so much more advanced than I am with my lowly OpenOffice suite :(

I don't see any reason for One Note. Microsoft Word is good enough for me. Most people still use paper notebooks.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 am

I think there's free programs online similar to One Note, if you'd like to try those out. I really like OneNote, but I agree that it's really not that different than Word.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 am

charlesjd wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I feel like the people using One Note in class are so much more advanced than I am with my lowly OpenOffice suite :(

I don't see any reason for One Note. Microsoft Word is good enough for me. Most people still use paper notebooks.
But I feel so inadequate!!!!!!!!!! Wahhhhhhh!!!!

VincentChase

New

Post by VincentChase » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:41 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:

But I feel so inadequate!!!!!!!!!! Wahhhhhhh!!!!
I always feel that way, too! Any time I see someone using a notes program that looks really fancy with a lot of bells and whistles, I'm thinking, "I am so screwed when it comes to taking notes in this class. My program isn't up to speed!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

OneNote has made my life infinitely easier. I spend about 3 seconds formatting notes into readable format, opposed to the rather junky way Word handles it. I literally waste no time in formatting, and synthesizing notes from OneNote to a skeleton outline is a breeze. I'm never scared of a cold-call, even if I've been zoning, all it takes is one click and my case notes are in front of me, in glorious fashion, with no delay. Being able to simply click and write in the margins, or annotate my notes in various ways allows a lot more customization in how you take notes.

I don't see why anyone would use Word, simply because it's the default word processing program. I think you'll end up paying for it later in the semester when you either A) Have a few giant word docs you have to sift through for information, or B) you have 45 or more documents with notes. It just isn't as efficient.

m311

New

Post by m311 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 am

I like it for the collapse function. All my case briefs are right there in my outline/notes to pop out if I ever need them. Same with MPC, UCC, etc. And then you can link to other parts of your notes as well.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:03 am

BigAristotle wrote:OneNote has made my life infinitely easier. I spend about 3 seconds formatting notes into readable format, opposed to the rather junky way Word handles it. I literally waste no time in formatting, and synthesizing notes from OneNote to a skeleton outline is a breeze. I'm never scared of a cold-call, even if I've been zoning, all it takes is one click and my case notes are in front of me, in glorious fashion, with no delay. Being able to simply click and write in the margins, or annotate my notes in various ways allows a lot more customization in how you take notes.

I don't see why anyone would use Word, simply because it's the default word processing program. I think you'll end up paying for it later in the semester when you either A) Have a few giant word docs you have to sift through for information, or B) you have 45 or more documents with notes. It just isn't as efficient.
I hate formatting word. I am getting One Note RIGHT NOW..... hahahahah wow

Is it available for Mac?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 am

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:12 am

Open-note exam + OneNote + CTRL-F = victory

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:20 am

wiseowl wrote:Open-note exam + OneNote + CTRL-F = victory
CTRL + F is not a functionality exclusive to OneNote, lol. Works just as well in Word.

k_unl

New

Post by k_unl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 am

charlesjd wrote:

It depends on how you use it. All my notes are tagged and sorted (and it takes me less than a second to hit Crtl + 0 to put in the tag). By looking at the tags, I can find my cases, lists, basics, etc. Everything is infinitely easier to sort through and read than anything in word. I'm not even going to mention using paper because we're in 2009.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 pm

That's because we are. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:44 pm

apper123 wrote:
CTRL + F is not a functionality exclusive to OneNote, lol. Works just as well in Word.
thanks for the tutorial. you have one Word doc with all of your notes, briefs, and outline in it? might want to make sure that's backed up.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 pm

I thought the exam software made it impossible to minimize so open note just means you can print out your outline and notes and take them with you.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Mulliganstew wrote:
I thought the exam software made it impossible to minimize so open note just means you can print out your outline and notes and take them with you.
Depends on the course, I guess. One of my exams is a 7-day take home. Sure hope I don't have to keep the exam software open and maximized that whole time.

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:
Depends on the course, I guess. One of my exams is a 7-day take home. Sure hope I don't have to keep the exam software open and maximized that whole time.
Huh. All of our finals are 3 hours with a mixture of essay, short answer and multiple choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I used to love recording myself with a webcam during class with friends using onenote. It wasn't conducive to studying for me at least.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:22 pm

I hated formatting notes in Word. Sometimes I thought I was the biggest idiot in the world becasue I couldn't get the bullets to go how I wanted them to. This is NEVER a problem for me in Onenote. It's also great to access notes and outlines with one click.

I don't use any of the advanced features for Onenote though. I don't really know what they are.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:25 pm

charlesjd wrote:

Where the hell do you go to law school? :shock:

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
charlesjd wrote:

Where the hell do you go to law school? :shock:
Liberty U, where paper is immoral.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:02 pm

wiseowl wrote:
apper123 wrote:
thanks for the tutorial. you have one Word doc with all of your notes, briefs, and outline in it? might want to make sure that's backed up.
No. I have one for class notes, one for briefs and one for an outline for each class. Unless you have your OneNote file backed up, then it is just as vulnerable as my word document to hard disc failure. There's no extra layer of security.

But yes, I do have all my documents backed up to an external HDD.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 pm

apper123 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
apper123 wrote:
No. I have one for class notes, one for briefs and one for an outline for each class. Unless you have your OneNote file backed up, then it is just as vulnerable as my word document to hard disc failure. There's no extra layer of security.

But yes, I do have all my documents backed up to an external HDD.
Backups are always a good idea. Think I'll back up my stuff now. There is a 2L at our school whose HDD failed the week before exams last fall. I've had two failures in the last two years so I'm definitely a fan of backups.

Back to our original debate, however - when I want to find something in a given class' material, i CTRL-F in the notebook for it in OneNote and I find all instances instantly. You have three different docs open per class and need to run three different searches. Plus, as mentioned, this says nothing about the far more friendly formatting of OneNote.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I've wanted to use OneNote, but I'll openly admit I've been too lazy to learn it. However, this thread has me reconsidering it. In fact, I'm experimenting with making my Torts outline in it right now.

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

apper123 wrote:I've wanted to use OneNote, but I'll openly admit I've been too lazy to learn it. However, this thread has me reconsidering it. In fact, I'm experimenting with making my Torts outline in it right now.
It takes about 2 minutes to learn.. it's a very simple program. The only way, in my opinion, that it is superior to Word is in the organizational functions. But the organization is SO much better that I haven't used Word since for note taking. Definitely give it a shot.

One Note doesn't have the formatting capacity that Word has, as far as I can tell. But most of the stuff that is missing is not stuff that you use all that much (if at all). The only thing I've missed from Word is being able to justify paragraphs. Otherwise, I'm very glad I started using OneNote.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”