Pot smokers in law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kant
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Kant » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Interesting.......

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.

User avatar
ToadGoDead
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ToadGoDead » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:22 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Matthies » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...


herion would get my vote

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...


herion would get my vote



I second that.

User avatar
ToadGoDead
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ToadGoDead » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...


herion would get my vote



I second that.


yeah i also have to agree with that...

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:13 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Dtackpat75 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...


herion would get my vote



I second that.


yeah i also have to agree with that...


Rick James wrote:Cocaine is one hell of a drug

User avatar
nativedelta
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby nativedelta » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:40 am

I wasn't implying that smoking pot killed/damaged brain cells. I was implying that I need those brain cells working at full speed to deal with law school. I agree that drinking can be as bad or worse, hence I don't drink either.

I wasn't coming down on pot smokers ---just mentioning that there seems to be room for heavy users, moderate users, and even T-totalers like me.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 am

bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:09 am

babaghanouj wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?


Whose definition of mediocrity? Some would say that working 80 hours a week for $160,000 a year is a pretty mediocre thing to do. All that and you still make about 10% what Charlie Sheen makes for 1 episode of Two and a Half Men...

gregw8705
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby gregw8705 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?


Whose definition of mediocrity? Some would say that working 80 hours a week for $160,000 a year is a pretty mediocre thing to do. All that and you still make about 10% what Charlie Sheen makes for 1 episode of Two and a Half Men...


While I sympathize with SoftBoiled's sentiments, there's also nothing to say that a pot smoker couldn't just as easily get that 80 hour/week $160,000/year job. In both high school and undergrad, I'd suggest upwards of 40% of the top graduates (summa cum laude in undergrad, top 10% students in hs) were at least semi-regular pot smokers. It's out there more than you think, but the smarter users practice discretion.

User avatar
lucydog
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby lucydog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 am

gregw8705 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?


Whose definition of mediocrity? Some would say that working 80 hours a week for $160,000 a year is a pretty mediocre thing to do. All that and you still make about 10% what Charlie Sheen makes for 1 episode of Two and a Half Men...


While I sympathize with SoftBoiled's sentiments, there's also nothing to say that a pot smoker couldn't just as easily get that 80 hour/week $160,000/year job. In both high school and undergrad, I'd suggest upwards of 40% of the top graduates (summa cum laude in undergrad, top 10% students in hs) were at least semi-regular pot smokers. It's out there more than you think, but the smarter users practice discretion.



This is true. I have never smoked, but I grew up in an area where it is very common. Most of the kids that smoked in my high school are doing rather well for themselves. It seems to be that those who don't smoke think that the only people who are smokers are the dark underbelly of society. This is just not true, most pot users are just like anyone else. If you think that highly achieving BigLaw associates are living life on the straight and narrow, you are in for a big surprise.

Setting high standards for yourself and smoking weed are not incompatible. Gasp.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby articulably suspect » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 am

Brownadam26 wrote:Smoking pot is so stupid. If you really want to ruin your entire life for a hit of Mary J do it. No telling who will drug test you and basically ruin your entire law school investment. I find it comical that there are people in a top 14 law school smoking pot however I wouldn't suggest glorifying it because YOU made it out. Some kids can't handle all the chemical reactions THC causes in ones brain on top of studying. If your smoking pot in law school and getting away with it...your days are numbered and you should drop that habit. lol your probably smoking crack if someone offers you
Mark71121 wrote:i've met quite a few chronic smokers (smoke at least once per day) at my t14. interestingly, we all did pretty well.


wow, this can't be serious. even if you're passionately anti-drug use, which is fine, your logic and reasoning needs to be cranked up.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby articulably suspect » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 am

Matthies wrote:I was surprised not at how many people smoked pot, but how many did coke too.


are you referring to ls or ug?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:45 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Whose definition of mediocrity? Some would say that working 80 hours a week for $160,000 a year is a pretty mediocre thing to do. All that and you still make about 10% what Charlie Sheen makes for 1 episode of Two and a Half Men...



have you seen two and a half men....... when youre STOONED...?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Matthies » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:09 am

ejjones wrote:
Matthies wrote:I was surprised not at how many people smoked pot, but how many did coke too.


are you referring to ls or ug?



ls

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:11 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.


Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?


You missed the point.

This has nothing to do with being mediocre or not mediocre and everything to do with the 80/20 rule and our obsession with "being healthy."

User avatar
ToadGoDead
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ToadGoDead » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:33 pm

i just wanna say this, if there is one thing that i could do with my law degree, it would be to get marijuana legalized.

TSteele
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby TSteele » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 pm

I have never gotten high before, but it doesn't seem too outlandish for law students to indulge occasionally O_o.

User avatar
enygma
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby enygma » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:55 pm

i dunno. aside from the whole addiction thing, heroin is a completely benign drug. doesn't have the same cardiotoxicity of coke.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Drake014 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 pm

nativedelta wrote:I wasn't implying that smoking pot killed/damaged brain cells. I was implying that I need those brain cells working at full speed to deal with law school. I agree that drinking can be as bad or worse, hence I don't drink either.

I wasn't coming down on pot smokers ---just mentioning that there seems to be room for heavy users, moderate users, and even T-totalers like me.


Some day you'll be old and wonder why you squandered your youth.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby kn6542 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Pot doesn't make you stupid.


There are cannabinoid receptors located in the parts of the brain responsible for memory, problem solving, spatial orientation and perception, etc. How it affects those areas will vary because people's physiology varies, but it does have effects. Overstimulation of those receptors has also been linked to increased anxiety, depression, and psychosis.

I do find it odd that people would believe that a drug that reduces anxiety by influencing neurotransmitters would have NO rebound effect or cause any changes in affect.

Yet, occasional and moderate use of pot, like almost everything else, isn't such a problem. It's the people who do it every day who begin to have problems.

User avatar
kn6542
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby kn6542 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Lxw wrote:
Ken wrote:And law school was very informative for me as I learned in my first month that marijuana is actually illegal. I mean, who knew! :shock:

Quoted for Truth, Posterity and Brilliance!

Brilliance? What's with the monster kiss ass?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby JazzOne » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Brownadam26 wrote:Smoking pot is so stupid. If you really want to ruin your entire life for a hit of Mary J do it. No telling who will drug test you and basically ruin your entire law school investment.

lol

Who is going to drug test an unemployed law student?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby JazzOne » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Matthies wrote:I was surprised not at how many people smoked pot, but how many did coke too.

+1

I'm always amazed that people use cocaine so casually.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Elyane, zarzamora and 8 guests