Pot smokers in law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MD622
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby MD622 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.



Please pass the mediocrity. You're right, we should just shit on our dreams. I mean, why set high standards for yourself?


Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 pm

MD622 wrote:
02082010 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:To the 30-post fellow who decided to troll the thread: Stop, or I'll ban you.



seriously?

overreaction much?


Not at all. Who wants a self-righteous lecturer on a message board? Same thing with the girl who said "OMG YOU GOT A DUI I HOPE YOU NEVER GET INTO LAW SCHOOL YOU ARE SATAN AND DESERVE TO DIE" to some guy. I mean, don't agree with people's life choices but stfu about your opinion that has to be right because you and your parents think it is.


So well said. I can clearly picture the seeds of such simple mindedness being planted around a boring dinner table. Drugs = bad. Alcohol = bad. Sex = bad. Bla bla

Drugs are bad, m'kay. Alcohol is bad, m'kay. Sex is b...

Even Mr. Mackey couldn't say sex is bad.

M'kay

User avatar
soundgardener
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby soundgardener » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:27 pm

MD622 wrote:Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

So to paraphrase: smoking pot prevents you from being a whole person? Talk about pseudo intellectual bullshit.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:52 pm

soundgardener wrote:
MD622 wrote:Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

So to paraphrase: smoking pot prevents you from being a whole person? Talk about pseudo intellectual bullshit.

I'm giving you the win on this one just because of your forum name.

MD622
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby MD622 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 pm

soundgardener wrote:
MD622 wrote:Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

So to paraphrase: smoking pot prevents you from being a whole person? Talk about pseudo intellectual bullshit.


It also affects our ability to read critically and paraphrase properly. Thank you.

tasteofred
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby tasteofred » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 pm

hibachi7_7_7 wrote:Frequent ecstasy use actually starts to like, rot your brain. They can get by normally in public but you could definitely tell they're not "all there". At least most people who smoke a lot of weed or even do a lot of blow. You see lots of people who do coke and then go to rehab and go on to live perfectly normal lives. You could never really do well in law school or as a lawyer if you abused ecstasy.


I know a very well paid (100k+, in his early thirties) attorney who abused many drugs, especially ecstasy, during UG AND law school. He went to a T1 and was at the top of his class... and still does a lot of drugs, unfortunately.

But it all depends on the person. I'm not sure he could do well without it.

hibachi7_7_7
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby hibachi7_7_7 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm

tasteofred wrote:
hibachi7_7_7 wrote:Frequent ecstasy use actually starts to like, rot your brain. They can get by normally in public but you could definitely tell they're not "all there". At least most people who smoke a lot of weed or even do a lot of blow. You see lots of people who do coke and then go to rehab and go on to live perfectly normal lives. You could never really do well in law school or as a lawyer if you abused ecstasy.


I know a very well paid (100k+, in his early thirties) attorney who abused many drugs, especially ecstasy, during UG AND law school. He went to a T1 and was at the top of his class... and still does a lot of drugs, unfortunately.

But it all depends on the person. I'm not sure he could do well without it.



I mean, certainly it's not as black and white an issue as I made it sound. I'm sure there are people who make it work, they're just few and far between. I was just trying to describe why I believe ecstasy is more harmful for you than say, coke or weed.

User avatar
wickedzeus
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby wickedzeus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm

MD622 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:
MD622 wrote:Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

So to paraphrase: smoking pot prevents you from being a whole person? Talk about pseudo intellectual bullshit.


It also affects our ability to read critically and paraphrase properly. Thank you.


What the hell is a whole person? When did we figure that out? Wouldn't you agree that being "whole" means different things to different people?

This reminds me of a comedian who was ranting about our obsession with longevity. He was talking about Sammy Davis Jr. only living for 65 years. I'll take the 65 Sammy years over 95 years of tasteless healthy food, neurotic exercising and no drugs whatsoever. But I guess that just makes me a loser huh...

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Bottom line:

According to my civ pro professor, we'll all be a bunch of cokehead alcoholics eventually. We're lawyers...duh.

True story. This guy's a riot.

But yeah. /thread

Marquito38
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Marquito38 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:09 am

I think one of the biggest problems in our society related to drug use is that most people treat drinking alcohol as its own separate category. I see parents everywhere telling their kids not to do drugs, blah blah blah, but get shitfaced in front of them on vacation or at weekend parties. What message does this send to their children? Drinking alcohol is ok because it's not like those other bad drugs. Obviously, this is wrong, and even our drug laws exempt alcohol and tobacco from classification.

Our drug classification system is in need of reform to reflect the true science behind drug use, including tobacco and alcohol.

(1) Schedule I.—
(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision."

Please, with all the studies about the beneficial and therapeutic properties of marijuana out there, for it to be a Schedule I drug seems far-fetched. Also, the U.S. government has plenty of patents on synthetic versions of THC and cannabinoids. See http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507 for example. My favorite part of the patent: "THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is another of the cannabinoids that has been shown to be neuroprotective in cell cultures, but this protection was believed to be mediated by interaction at the cannabinoid receptor, and so would be accompanied by undesired psychotropic side effects. ##STR3## " Undesired??? Many on this discussion board would probably disagree. Lol.

Schedule II.—
(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substances may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence."

Cocaine falls within this classification, saying basically that marijuana is more harmful than cocaine. Anyone care to explain this difference? I would love to be enlightened.


Oh, and to those who say smoking weed is harmful simply because it fills your lungs with smoke, you're right. But who says you have to smoke weed? You can make baked goods or vaporize it, thus eliminating the release of tar and carcinogens.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 am

wickedzeus wrote:
MD622 wrote:
soundgardener wrote:
MD622 wrote:Pot smokers love talking about how bad drinking is for you. It's laughable. My vice isn't as bad as your vice, so that makes me a wise, pseudointellectual drug user. I'll smoke every now and then, but it's such bullshit that it doesn't affect you. What about physical fitness? Sex drive (I always wonder about you people)? Even if doesn't "kill brain cells," we're still filling our lungs with smoke and manipulating our brain's biochemistry. Even if you can juggle smoking and being a book worm, there's no question that it affects our ability to be the whole person. If that isn't important to you, then you're a loser.

So to paraphrase: smoking pot prevents you from being a whole person? Talk about pseudo intellectual bullshit.


It also affects our ability to read critically and paraphrase properly. Thank you.


What the hell is a whole person? When did we figure that out? Wouldn't you agree that being "whole" means different things to different people?

This reminds me of a comedian who was ranting about our obsession with longevity. He was talking about Sammy Davis Jr. only living for 65 years. I'll take the 65 Sammy years over 95 years of tasteless healthy food, neurotic exercising and no drugs whatsoever. But I guess that just makes me a loser huh...

Image

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby UnTouChablE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 am

I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 am

UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.


This coming from a guy with a Boondocks avatar. Life makes sense now.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby savagedm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:21 am

ResolutePear wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.


This coming from a guy with a Boondocks avatar. Life makes sense now.


I stopped reading after he started saying things like "Whateva"... well.. I didn't get farther than that, his logic looked faulty from the get-go.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Kretzy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:39 am

UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.


Lolwut? I'm from a city (Denver) that decrim-ed, and go to a law school (SLS) where no one cares. Some people might lose out on government gigs because of it, but they're aware.

I don't know any potheads here, but there are a good number of folks who smoke. I don't think any of them are hurting academically or "acting up" because of it.

But, hey, what do we know? All I know is that any of my friends here are damn more coherent than whatever drivel you just posted, even when baked.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby savagedm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 am

Kretzy wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.


Lolwut? I'm from a city (Denver) that decrim-ed, and go to a law school (SLS) where no one cares. Some people might lose out on government gigs because of it, but they're aware.

I don't know any potheads here, but there are a good number of folks who smoke. I don't think any of them are hurting academically or "acting up" because of it.

But, hey, what do we know? All I know is that any of my friends here are damn more coherent than whatever drivel you just posted, even when baked.


168

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Kretzy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:43 am

savagedm wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
But, hey, what do we know? All I know is that any of my friends here are damn more coherent than whatever drivel you just posted, even when baked.


168


Still good enough to get into SLS, at least.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby savagedm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:44 am

Kretzy wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
But, hey, what do we know? All I know is that any of my friends here are damn more coherent than whatever drivel you just posted, even when baked.


168


Still good enough to get into SLS, at least.


Yeah, it was a good and coherent response. Not nearly on the epic 180 standard, but a solid candidate that can do good things nonetheless.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 am

Kretzy wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
But, hey, what do we know? All I know is that any of my friends here are damn more coherent than whatever drivel you just posted, even when baked.


168


Still good enough to get into SLS, at least.


I should not have read this post, it has inspired false hope :cry:.

Anyways, on topic, I think it will be legalized in California in 2012. Just needs the younger crowd to come out to vote and should get that in an election year.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 am

UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful

Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.

Lol

You're going to make a great lawyer!
Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profit
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:52 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby Profit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:I hate when weeds heads try to make arguments for the legalization of weed.

Its wrong, illegal and harmful
Wateva you think about alcohol, it is not illegal.

The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.

We are neva going to legalize that terrible vice cause that is the last thing society needs, one more excuse for ppl to act up.
Go to sleep Hippies! If you do it in law school even worse.



This basically sums up the arguments against legalization... How do you argue with that logic?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm

It should be noted that the biggest proponents of legalization aren't potheads, but people looking for a new industry to invest in.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby notanumber » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:59 pm

ResolutePear wrote:It should be noted that the biggest proponents of legalization aren't potheads, but people looking for a new industry to invest in.


And it should be noted that the biggest opponents of legalization are the ones making money off the current situation. Many of our local "medicinal" dispensaries funded and propagandized against prop 19 (legalization).

So it goes...

UnTouChablE wrote: The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.


Where do they still throw you in jail for smoking pot? Serious question.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:It should be noted that the biggest proponents of legalization aren't potheads, but people looking for a new industry to invest in.


And it should be noted that the biggest opponents of legalization are the ones making money off the current situation. Many of our local "medicinal" dispensaries funded and propagandized against prop 19 (legalization).

So it goes...

UnTouChablE wrote: The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.


Where do they still throw you in jail for smoking pot? Serious question.


If you're caught by federal agents, it's a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

It's worse in the federal courts to have cannabis over cocaine.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:00 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
notanumber wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:It should be noted that the biggest proponents of legalization aren't potheads, but people looking for a new industry to invest in.


And it should be noted that the biggest opponents of legalization are the ones making money off the current situation. Many of our local "medicinal" dispensaries funded and propagandized against prop 19 (legalization).

So it goes...

UnTouChablE wrote: The fact that you are willing to risk going to jail ova something as silly as smoking a dangerous substance is more a comment on your personality than on society being somehow stupid not to let you smoke yo shit openly.


Where do they still throw you in jail for smoking pot? Serious question.


If you're caught by federal agents, it's a Schedule 1 controlled substance.

It's worse in the federal courts to have cannabis over cocaine.

That's because Mexican's prefer pot, and whites prefer cocaine. It's just like crack vs. coke.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests