Pot smokers in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kkklick

Silver

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I only smoke once in a blue moon, but I wouldn't during school. Perhaps after exams on break once or twice but I find it interfere's too much.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:38 am

thegor1987 wrote: 1. I am a scientist and I can tell you that science by no means is exclusive to liberals
2. I am not citing Bill O'Reilly I am merely stating how his persona comically illustrated how ridiculous the claim for medicinal marijuana is.
3. I am not sure what you are trying to get at about the relationship the AMA has with the topic of medicinal marijuana? Can you cite a source?
And I am a doctor. See, I can make baseless claims as well!

oh, and:

http://cjns.metapress.com/app/home/cont ... 1:300307,1

http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonlin ... cer.1.aspx

http://www.neurology.org/content/62/11/2095.abstract

go ahead and search "medical marijuana" in google scholar, unless it's too left-wing liberal for you, in which case you can ignore it by stuffing your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes while chanting "I'm not listening! LALALA".

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:55 am

Medical Marijuana may or may not have its uses. I am by no means a scientist or medical expert so I shall leave that to the "experts."

However, most students do not use marijuana for its medical purposes. Instead, they use it to get a high. Talking about medical marijuana in a "Pot smokers in law school" thread seems baseless, unless you are arguing that the majority of law students who smote pot do so for medical reasons.

So rather than make this a "medical marijuana" thread, why not focus on the original focus of this thread, the usage of pot in law school.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:07 am

random5483 wrote:Medical Marijuana may or may not have its uses. I am by no means a scientist or medical expert so I shall leave that to the "experts."

However, most students do not use marijuana for its medical purposes. Instead, they use it to get a high. Talking about medical marijuana in a "Pot smokers in law school" thread seems baseless, unless you are arguing that the majority of law students who smote pot do so for medical reasons.

So rather than make this a "medical marijuana" thread, why not focus on the original focus of this thread, the usage of pot in law school.
Why use "medical marijuana" when you can just take OxyContin?

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:54 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
random5483 wrote:Medical Marijuana may or may not have its uses. I am by no means a scientist or medical expert so I shall leave that to the "experts."

I am one of those weirdos with an attachment to my liver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:18 pm

savagedm wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

I am one of those weirdos with an attachment to my liver.
Hippie. Crush up and snort prescription pills like a real man.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:40 pm

savagedm wrote:
thegor1987 wrote: 1. I am a scientist and I can tell you that science by no means is exclusive to liberals
2. I am not citing Bill O'Reilly I am merely stating how his persona comically illustrated how ridiculous the claim for medicinal marijuana is.
3. I am not sure what you are trying to get at about the relationship the AMA has with the topic of medicinal marijuana? Can you cite a source?

oh, and:

go ahead and search "medical marijuana" in google scholar, unless it's too left-wing liberal for you, in which case you can ignore it by stuffing your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes while chanting "I'm not listening! LALALA".

From your 2nd article: "A comprehensive literature review failed to provide persuasive evidence to recommend marijuana as a needed antiemetic medicine."

and regarding your 3rd: This is simply a survey, 24% of the patients said it makes them feel better? What the hell does that even mean, for all we know the marijuana could be making the disease worse and they just feel better when they are high.

I couldn't open the link of your first article but I am sure it is as unconvincing as the other two.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 pm

I say different folks different strokes. Some can handle marijuana in their lives while some cannot. I personally don't think it should be illegal, but I wouldn't use it habitually. It certainly is no more dangerous than alcohol which in comparison should be prohibited if danger is an important factor when deciding legality.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:57 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
savagedm wrote:

oh, and:

From your 2nd article: "A comprehensive literature review failed to provide persuasive evidence to recommend marijuana as a needed antiemetic medicine."

and regarding your 3rd: This is simply a survey, 24% of the patients said it makes them feel better? What the hell does that even mean, for all we know the marijuana could be making the disease worse and they just feel better when they are high.

I couldn't open the link of your first article but I am sure it is as unconvincing as the other two.
Is Aspirin needed to cure a headache? Nope, but it helps. By the way, I'm not trying to convince you. You are ideologically set in your ways and was merely showing you that a simple google search can yield plenty of the results you seek... we don't have to spoon feed them to you just because you refuse to accept a changing societal norm (much like people resisted prohibition). Go look the shit up yourself and stop taking the discussion places it was not intended to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:10 pm

yea but aspirin doesn't lead to harder drugs

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:13 pm

thegor1987 wrote:yea but aspirin doesn't lead to harder drugs
I went from aspirin to Vicodin as soon as the aspirin wasn't cutting it anymore.

I award you no points.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:23 pm

This is not the thread to discuss medical marijuana and its utility. If you wish to do so, you're more than welcome to start a thread on that topic in the Lounge. This thread is for people who hypothetically smoke marijuana in law school to discuss that hypothetical practice with one another. Again, you're welcome to express your views in the appropriate thread and forum, but doing so here constitutes trolling and will likely lead to a ban. Thank you.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:05 pm

SBL wrote:
This is not the thread to discuss medical marijuana and its utility. If you wish to do so, you're more than welcome to start a thread on that topic in the Lounge. This thread is for people who hypothetically smoke marijuana in law school to discuss that hypothetical practice with one another. Again, you're welcome to express your views in the appropriate thread and forum, but doing so here constitutes trolling and will likely lead to a ban. Thank you.
So how much would you have smoked last night - you know, just throwing a hypo out there?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:07 am

Last edited by plum on Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 am

plum wrote:what kinds of jobs should one steer clear of (in terms of possible drug testing)? DOJ? what else. i'm guessing not regular firm jobs/ judicial internships?
The CIA is pretty hardline about that with the polygraph and everything.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:26 am

Last edited by plum on Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

langdonbadger

New

Post by langdonbadger » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:41 am

johnnyutah wrote: Hippie. Crush up and snort prescription pills like a real man.
bahaha +1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 am

you HAVE to be kidding me.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:41 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
what a waste of the 420th post.

i'm going to take the spot of the 420th reply and note that it is fuckin great to be on break, watching zombieland, and just chilling the fuck out.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:00 pm

dailygrind wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

i'm going to take the spot of the 420th reply and note that it is fuckin great to be on break, watching zombieland, and just chilling the fuck out.
I'm enjoying my break by being led to harder drugs.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Epic post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

JazzOne wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

Same, I'm up to LSD laced cookies soaked in liquid heroin.

criticalthinkx

New

Post by criticalthinkx » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Ken wrote:I think it depends upon the school. At Berkeley, about 10-15% were occasional smokers (maybe 5% much more frequent). At Harvard or Columbia, that number is likely much less. Definitely fewer pot smokers than in undergrad is the norm.

And law school was very informative for me as I learned in my first month that marijuana is actually illegal. I mean, who knew! :shock:
WADR, cannabis is legal for medical use in 15 states, plus D.C., so that might be something to look into.

As for the OP- I couldn't tell you bc I am not in law school (yet). I do know that cannabis has a specific type of medicinal use for various ailments. It's likely there are law students who are also patients.

I'm curious, why the question comes up at all? Looking for a stoner law school? If you want an anti-stoner school try the south, if you want stoner-friendly try the west coast and certain other western states. I highly (pun very much intended) doubt any law school is openly cannabis friendly.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:51 pm

savagedm wrote:
Perhaps this explains why the Keebler Elves are so fucking weird.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:05 pm

SBL wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Perhaps this explains why the Keebler Elves are so fucking weird.
People just dont, like, get them man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”