Pot smokers in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Pot smokers in law school

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:25 am

--ImageRemoved--

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:53 pm

savagedm wrote:
Oban wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I divulged to a classmate that I enjoy smoking pot once in awhile. She looked at me like I had grown an extra head in front of her.

Aside from drinking, most law school kids are weak sauce straight-edgers.
Last week, the girl sitting next to me in class brought up lollapalooza, and when i mentioned how i had some killer "brownies" at the last one, she kind of turned pale, now she doesn't really talk to me before/after class. :|
Bunch of squares man.
It's because he doesn't have a batvan.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:
savagedm wrote:
Oban wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I divulged to a classmate that I enjoy smoking pot once in awhile. She looked at me like I had grown an extra head in front of her.

Aside from drinking, most law school kids are weak sauce straight-edgers.
Last week, the girl sitting next to me in class brought up lollapalooza, and when i mentioned how i had some killer "brownies" at the last one, she kind of turned pale, now she doesn't really talk to me before/after class. :|
Bunch of squares man.
I got an offer from a firm recently, and the hiring partner was a former government agent. He was real old school, and he was telling us at the reception about how weed used to be legal in D.C. before Reagan. He told us that he used to smoke joints walking down the street, and all the other applicants were like OMG! It was one of those moments where you're really not sure what to say because it's a cool story and all, but you don't even want to hint that you smoke weed to the hiring partner. An inopportune remark at that moment could cost you the job.

Edit: That same hiring partner basically told me in the interview that coke should be legal too. He seems like an interesting boss. I'm really glad I got that offer.

He likes to party. Pass it on.

But seriously, I can't tell you how many law students who are straight-edge I've met since getting here. I also can't tell you how many practicing attorneys that are anything but straight-edge I've met since getting here.... I think there is some sort of correlation here?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:12 pm

its better to have a reputation of being straight edge, when in fact you are not, than to have a reputation of not being straight edge, when in fact you are.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you will find some people who hide their de stressor activities very well in law school. In fact, some are probably in your law school library right now.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

northwood wrote:its better to have a reputation of being straight edge, when in fact you are not, than to have a reputation of not being straight edge, when in fact you are.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you will find some people who hide their de stressor activities very well in law school. In fact, some are probably in your law school library right now.
I don't doubt it. But being where I'm from, weed isn't so much of a taboo topic. Advertising that you smoke is, but people aren't nearly as freak-outish here as they would be somewhere like Duke or on the East Coast in general.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:32 pm

.[/quote]

I don't doubt it. But being where I'm from, weed isn't so much of a taboo topic. Advertising that you smoke is, but people aren't nearly as freak-outish here as they would be somewhere like Duke or on the East Coast in general.[/quote]

right. Only the ignorant, or completly moronic advertise what illegal activities you do. Just be smart. Same thing with how much and how frequently you drink. Its all personal business that you dont need to go around bragging about

btw- i dont do drugs, but i have no problem with drugs or people that use them as a stress reliever. Just dont be an idiot, and you will be fine. ( as long as you give yourself enough time to prep for the pee exam- ha!)

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 pm

northwood wrote:.
I don't doubt it. But being where I'm from, weed isn't so much of a taboo topic. Advertising that you smoke is, but people aren't nearly as freak-outish here as they would be somewhere like Duke or on the East Coast in general.[/quote]

right. Only the ignorant, or completly moronic advertise what illegal activities you do. Just be smart. Same thing with how much and how frequently you drink. Its all personal business that you dont need to go around bragging about

btw- i dont do drugs, but i have no problem with drugs or people that use them as a stress reliever. Just dont be an idiot, and you will be fine. ( as long as you give yourself enough time to prep for the pee exam- ha!)[/quote]

Yeah I'm much in the same boat. If you do things, do it right, don't be an idiot.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:07 pm

The hardest part about smoking pot in law school is finding people to smoke with. But after the first semester or so, you can probably get a good crew together.

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:02 pm

SBL wrote:The hardest part about smoking pot in law school is finding people to smoke with. But after the first semester or so, you can probably get a good crew together.
Lol, This is the hardest part, really? Not smoking and working, this.

I hate smokers priorities!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:04 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
SBL wrote:The hardest part about smoking pot in law school is finding people to smoke with. But after the first semester or so, you can probably get a good crew together.

U mad cause smokers be killing your GPA?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 pm

JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

Nah, he mad cause most people don't feel trolls once they're outted.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:12 pm

paratactical wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:20 pm

paratactical wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

Or because it's pretty easy to, you know, smoke pot after your work is done. Really there are a number of reasons why that wasn't worth responding to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 pm

JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

I aint mad, ppl that aint doing right win at life all da time. Let God judge that.

I dont care if you smoke, that don't make you a bad person. But they way ppl say it wit such ease does irritate me, like smoking is making koolaide. Shit, you aint right and smoking aint right.

Why noone on here acting like smoking this shit is wrong son? cause it is.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:42 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

I aint mad, ppl that aint doing right win at life all da time. Let God judge that.

I dont care if you smoke, that don't make you a bad person. But they way ppl say it wit such ease does irritate me, like smoking is making koolaide. Shit, you aint right and smoking aint right.

The trolling started out pretty top-shelf, but it's getting a little strained now.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:49 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

Jeez, get off your fucking high horse already. You're on a forum and presumably going into a field that most wouldn't have a problem kicking a family out of their home to keep themselves from getting foreclosed on.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:I aint mad, ppl that aint doing right win at life all da time. Let God judge that.

Jeez, get off your fucking high horse already. You're on a forum and presumably going into a field that most wouldn't have a problem kicking a family out of their home to keep themselves from getting foreclosed on.
It's okay, they probably smoked pot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm

mrmangs wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:I aint mad, ppl that aint doing right win at life all da time. Let God judge that.

It's okay, they probably smoked pot.
You are right sir, we all do questionable things. I can't judge.

I just didn't like the direction of the conversation, it stopped being "is it wrong to do in law school?" to "Lets assume its kool and talk about how kool it is" that made me mad. I hate the fact that we are becoming apathetic towards the shit.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm

People will live how they want to live. If they want to get high, fine. If you want to walk straight and narrow, go a head fellow.

All thats important, is can you function? Can you be a productive member of your firm/ family and community? Or are you a burden on them? Can you get through the day, and put your clients and family before your habit? If you can, then thats allright. If it starts interfearing with that, then its time to get help.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm

There is a case to be made that being a pothead is wrong. There is a case to be made that being an alcoholic wrong. Certainly being a pothead and being an alcoholic are both debilitating (although in different, and not necessarily equal, respects).

However, neither smoking weed once in a while nor drinking alcohol every so often is "wrong" in any sense of the word.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:20 pm

This thread reminds me, recently Bill O'Reilly made a bet with another famous news anchor (forget his name, but he is a major national news anchor who wanted to legalize medicinal marijuana). Anyways, they made a bet on whether California would pass the legalization of medicinal marijuana during the midterm elections. The loser would have to donate $10,000 to a charity of the winners choice. Well the bill was not passed and on live TV Bill O'Reilly made the other news anchor write out a check for $10,000 to a drug rehabilitation facility in NYC. The news anchor was so embarrassed!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Post by $$$$$$ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Finding people to chill with is definitely hard, and it's weird to bring it up sometimes, especially when everyone you were friends with before law school blazes. I kind of dont care anymore though, and i'll bring it up sometimes, I think it can be a way to actually lighten the mood, as long as you dont act like spiccoli all the time.

And smoking is definitely not wrong, in fact, I think it is totally RIGHT. It Eases the stress of law school, helps you relax and realize that law school is not the end all be all of you. I dont care if people dont like weed, thats all fine, but then our outlooks on life are probably drastically different

Jarrett

New

Post by Jarrett » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.
agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...
herion would get my vote
I would say crystal meth is worse than all of those. If your in GA, you're bound to see a crazy crystal meth side effects ad

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Jarrett wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:The undercurrent of "pot makes school harder" in this thread just cracks me up.

Pot doesn't make you stupid.

Regular drinking is way worse for you than regular smoking.

A lot of these comments come from this weird, American place where we have this bizarre belief that there is some sort of 100% healthy standard and that we must optimize our lives in order to reach this standard. It's the sort of "oh shit I'll never take any risks because I might not get that $160k Skadden job and I'll have to settle for a V50 firm" that cracks me up and also makes me sad.

And yes, please pass the crack.
agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...
herion would get my vote
I would say crystal meth is worse than all of those. If your in GA, you're bound to see a crazy crystal meth side effects ad
ehh, meth might be a little easier to ween off of than heroin.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:59 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
Jarrett wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote: agreed. drinking alcohol is most likely the worst "drug" you can consume on a regular basis...
herion would get my vote
ehh, meth might be a little easier to ween off of than heroin.
Have you guys ever witnessed meth mouth?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”