Laptop Banned

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Amira

Re: Laptop Banned

Postby Amira » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:37 am

nativedelta wrote:but I am hurt ultimately because my optimal method for taking notes is taken away from me based on the actions of a few.

The people who prefer to take notes by hand don't have their optimal method taken away from them. So if many people started doodling on their handwritten notes instead of paying attention, would that be a sufficient reason to ban handwritten notes as well?

I totally agree with this. Laptop note-taking increases my efficiency in class and during outlining/studying. I love being able to CTRL-F my notes and I hate the idea of wasting time typing up my notes. I also don't have trouble paying attention in class. I don't take notes constantly, I make eye contact with my professors and I am generally engaged in class. So it really annoys me when a professor assumes we're all children who need our toys taken away. As far as I know there is only one prof at my school that does this. I was signed up for his class but dropped it after he sent out the syllabus explaining his laptop policy.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:02 am

Amira wrote:
nativedelta wrote:but I am hurt ultimately because my optimal method for taking notes is taken away from me based on the actions of a few.

The people who prefer to take notes by hand don't have their optimal method taken away from them. So if many people started doodling on their handwritten notes instead of paying attention, would that be a sufficient reason to ban handwritten notes as well?

I totally agree with this. Laptop note-taking increases my efficiency in class and during outlining/studying. I love being able to CTRL-F my notes and I hate the idea of wasting time typing up my notes. I also don't have trouble paying attention in class. I don't take notes constantly, I make eye contact with my professors and I am generally engaged in class. So it really annoys me when a professor assumes we're all children who need our toys taken away. As far as I know there is only one prof at my school that does this. I was signed up for his class but dropped it after he sent out the syllabus explaining his laptop policy.

Single best thing about typing my notes. I've been typing since UG, however, this thread makes me think that I should spend these last two semesters writing to uh... become faster and more legible :/

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am

sophie316 wrote:I have a prof whos doing this. Although in exchange, she's having the TAs write the notes and then post them online after class...

this seems completely counter productive as a policy...you ban laptops so students will pay attention, but then you post the notes at the end so no one has to pay attention?

sounds like someone just really likes taking attendance.

and i'm sure some will say "but it makes class discussion so rich and interesting!!!!". sorry. not what i'm here for.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:28 pm

wiseowl wrote:
and i'm sure some will say "but it makes class discussion so rich and interesting!!!!". sorry. not what i'm here for.

Luckily, it is all about you, and you are such a special little snowflake that you should be allowed to do whatever it is in the world that you think is best for you.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:41 pm

The only thing I miss in a class w/out laptops, the feeling of superiority brought on by the sounds of my classmates taking word for word dictation and knowing none of this is going to be on the exam!

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:52 pm

I can't write for extended periods (longer than 30 minutes) without having extreme pain in my writing hand. The 30-minute mark is when it gets to the point that I literally have to stop--my handwriting becomes largely illegible long before that. If I have any classes with laptops banned, I'll be seeking an exception--very loudly with the administration, if I have to.

A much better alternative, if you really want to be a jackass nanny, is to have the school disable the wireless connections in the classrooms during the school day, ala UoC. I think this is retarded as well. I spent 90% of my time in 1L on Facebook and did just fine (Top 1% fine, at that,) thanks. The hand-holding that goes on in life in general is irritating enough--why the hell does it need to extend to the law school classroom?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Connelly wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

Luckily, it is all about you, and you are such a special little snowflake that you should be allowed to do whatever it is in the world that you think is best for you.

slow your roll, gangster :roll:

1.) in short yes. for the amount of money we pay we should be able to do whatever the hell we want in class as long as it isn't disruptive, period.

2.) and since i'm sure someone will say "oh typing is so distracting!!!!" - law school exams and more importantly the bar exam are going to be difficult days for you.

and as a consolation prize, providing no incentive to take notes either encourages skipping class or encourages gunners to relentlessly dominate the discussion. i suppose at New York University this isn't an issue, but i've been wrong before.

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 pm

samiseaborn wrote:The only thing I miss in a class w/out laptops, the feeling of superiority brought on by the sounds of my classmates taking word for word dictation and knowing none of this is going to be on the exam!

+1. I love hearing the "rat-tat-tat" of keys as my screen's backlight turns off.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 pm

From the problems some posters have with handwriting, it sounds like it's a medieval torture method.

Erie Doctrine

Postby Erie Doctrine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:15 pm

worldtraveler wrote:From the problems some posters have with handwriting, it sounds like it's a medieval torture method.

I know. How in the world did students up until the last 10 years ever get through a class?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Neverknowsbest wrote:So apparently I got put with the professors that do not allow laptops. After I was told I had to have one, bought a new one, and a nice new laptop bag to carry it around in. Are there any people out there who don't use laptops who might lend some advice?

This might actually be a good thing. I have 2 professors that "discourage" the use of laptops. As much as I want to put mine away, I feel compelled to leave it out simply because others are doing so. I would be happy of laptops were outright banned during class.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:20 pm

wiseowl wrote:1.) in short yes. for the amount of money we pay we should be able to do whatever the hell we want in class as long as it isn't disruptive, period.

Have you ever taught a class? Teaching to a bunch of drones gchatting it up is not productive for anyone - including the drones. You still seem to see this issue as an "us vs. them, we know our rights" situation, and not it's not about that at all. It's about providing the best learning environment for students, not about what you should be allowed to get away with. Sadly, many professors do not even get that, so you are not alone. Note that you can choose to pay to go to school somewhere else if you would like as well. Paying at a very expensive restaurant does not give me the right to demand ketchup with my steak. All that invested in a school, all that trust in how they are training you, and you think you know better than the professor. Amazing.

2.) and since i'm sure someone will say "oh typing is so distracting!!!!" - law school exams and more importantly the bar exam are going to be difficult days for you.

You embrace the laptop, yet shun other technology? Try these - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=earplugs

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Holy crap, dropout, transfer or do something. I would not have lasted a week, much less 4 years of law school without the internet. WHAT THE HELL DO THEY EXPECT YOU TO DO IN CLASS? PAY ATTENTION? That’s BS, I’d have failed out of law school if I had to actually listen to most of what my professors said every day. Get out, seriously.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:40 pm

all i'll say is i am bewildered at this thread.

Connelly wrote:Have you ever taught a class? Teaching to a bunch of drones gchatting it up is not productive for anyone - including the drones. You still seem to see this issue as an "us vs. them, we know our rights" situation, and not it's not about that at all. It's about providing the best learning environment for students, not about what you should be allowed to get away with. Sadly, many professors do not even get that, so you are not alone. Note that you can choose to pay to go to school somewhere else if you would like as well. Paying at a very expensive restaurant does not give me the right to demand ketchup with my steak. All that invested in a school, all that trust in how they are training you, and you think you know better than the professor. Amazing.

i'm curious where in my posts i say i know more than the professor.

yes, i have taught. at the college level. we are all adults. if the students choose not to pay attention or to learn that's their prerogative.

awesome bunch of goofy non-sequiturs, by the way. with that logic skill and all that class participation you'll be top 1% in no time flat.
Last edited by wiseowl on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Neverknowsbest wrote:
the fledgling wrote:Just take notes by hand and type them up after class. This forces you to go over your notes and its a good way to get a sense of how well you understand the material. Think of it as a blessing in disguise. I do this for two of my classes, one where the professor banned laptops and the other where they're discouraged. Granted, it's only been a week, but its working well so far. Might even do it for all of my classes.

Yea, I have been thinking about spending some time each friday to look over, condese, and type up my notes. I go to Texas; it is not a school wide ban or anything. From what I heard from upper classmen it is actually rather rare that laptops are banned. Maybe the professors are moving towards a no laptop policy for 1L classes, or maybe its just bad luck. I'm sure taking notes by hand will be fine, if not better. Its just not fun to have your plans ruinned I guess.

I'm at UT as well. Because one of my profs banned laptops, I decided to take notes by hand in every class. I don't miss my laptop at all. Taking notes by hand forces me to listen more actively. And I end up having shorter notes.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:56 pm

I just found out I got a prof who bans laptops. Such bullshit. You would've thought that kind of thing could have been something that was posted in bold and caps lock on the registration information, and now no other classes at that time with the same number of credits are open.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 pm

nativedelta wrote:Taking the notes by hand is no problem. The problem comes at the middle to end of the semester when you're trying to compile them into an outline. That process took twice as long with all kinds of missing info (I type faster than I write). About half my teachers in 1L banned laptops. I was very angry after making the investment at the law school's behest.

Basically I found that when a professor got tenure, he or she started banning them. They hate them in general.

This is the case for my classes too. The one professor that is not new and has been there for like 30 years gets to ban laptops apparently.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey this looks kind of cool for classes that have no laptop rules --LinkRemoved--

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Erie Doctrine wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:From the problems some posters have with handwriting, it sounds like it's a medieval torture method.

I know. How in the world did students up until the last 10 years ever get through a class?

Clearly the fact that people 10 years ago were used to writing for extended periods of time doesn't impact your idiotic, snarky comment.

The vast majority of folks I know type much more quickly than they write. It is more comfortable, the notes taken are more legible, it is more environmentally sound--in short, it just makes more sense. If you don't want people on the internet in your class, have the internet disabled in classrooms during the day. Forcing people to take hand-written notes when the current generation of students grew up around computers is just ridiculous.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Bring a typewriter to class.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Erie Doctrine wrote:

Clearly the fact that people 10 years ago were used to writing for extended periods of time doesn't impact your idiotic, snarky comment.

The vast majority of folks I know type much more quickly than they write. It is more comfortable, the notes taken are more legible, it is more environmentally sound--in short, it just makes more sense. If you don't want people on the internet in your class, have the internet disabled in classrooms during the day. Forcing people to take hand-written notes when the current generation of students grew up around computers is just ridiculous.

Sorry, ToTransferOrNot. You sound a like whiny, self-entitled brat :roll: . If you don't like the no-laptop policy, transfer. You're a law student. Try to appreciate the other side's argument ;).

Carnertine

Postby Carnertine » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Basically, using the internet has replaced doodling. Now they take away our internet, people go back to doodling. As I have seen in my first laptop banned class.

I agree with the thought of environmentally friendly and the spending money on laptops to take the examination so why can't we use them in class.

If people want to check their e-mail, watch the NCAA tournament, instant message I am all call with that. To each their own with their time, but the only things that would really distract me are people who were playing games and people who were on the internet and raising their hand to answer questions.

Really, so I never knew that the Macy's online sales ad had soo much joinder information.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Erie Doctrine wrote:

Sorry, ToTransferOrNot. You sound a like whiny, self-entitled brat :roll: . If you don't like the no-laptop policy, transfer. You're a law student. Try to appreciate the other side's argument ;).

There is no "other side" here. If you are distracted by the typing of other people, you are fucked for final exams/the bar exam/working any job where there are computers around you. If you have a problem with people wasting their own time on the internet, you're flat-out foolish--both for wanting to baby how other people spend their class time, and for not recognizing that you, if anything, should be rooting for people to shot themselves in the foot. If you are distracted by what is on other peoples' screens, perhaps you should pay less attention to their screens, and more attention to your laptop or your pad of paper.

For what its worth, Chicago (you know, the school I did transfer in to--not exactly a secret around here) *does* disable internet in the classrooms, for pedagogical reasons. I'm not pulling that out of thin air. I think it is ridiculous to baby people in that way, but at least you aren't forcing people to give up what is, for many, a vastly superior way of processing information. If I was ever in a class that actually did ban laptops, I would be able to get an exception because my hands are partially arthritic, and writing for extended periods of time causes me actual physical pain. The issue of laptop bans will never personally affect me. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize how idiotic laptop bans are.

gregw8705

Postby gregw8705 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 am

You folks with medical conditions necessitating access to laptops for class need to speak up. Under the ADA, if someone in the class has a disability and requires accommodation (i.e. laptop), and that person wants to retain confidentiality (or help out their fellow classmates), the entire class must be permitted to use laptops so that the disabled can remain anonymous.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 am

gregw8705 wrote:You folks with medical conditions necessitating access to laptops for class need to speak up. Under the ADA, if someone in the class has a disability and requires accommodation (i.e. laptop), and that person wants to retain confidentiality (or help out their fellow classmates), the entire class must be permitted to use laptops so that the disabled can remain anonymous.

Oh snap. ToTransferOrNot, you want to transfer over to my school next? :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”