Visiting student at a top law school - Pros and Cons

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HarlandBassett

Re: Visiting student at a top law school - Pros and Cons

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:18 am

what exactly is an acceptable compelling reason?

Visiting Students
CUNY School of Law may admit a few special students who desire to study at the Law School for a semester or a year, but who will receive their degrees from their home law schools. Such students will be admitted only after completion of at least one year of satisfactory academic work at another ABA-approved law school, and must demonstrate compelling reasons for attending CUNY School of Law.
Applicants for visiting admission must submit the following, in accordance with our policies, to complete an application file for review by the Admissions Committee:
2012 electronic application;
$60 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee;
required personal statement;
a separate statement indicating reasons for your request to attend as a visiting student;
a letter mailed directly from your dean confirming you are in good standing and outlining the credits that the "home" law school will accept.
Visiting student applicants must also have two letters of recommendation submitted through LSAC:
one (1) academic letter from a law school professor who has taught you and;
one (1) character reference from someone with whom you have worked in the last three years.
Visiting Application Deadlines
Spring 2012 - apply by December 1, 2011
Fall 2012 - apply by July 2, 2012

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Can't find any info on the school's websites: Would it make any sense to go to a lower ranked and cheaper state school during 3L to save money if you already have a biglaw offer? As a visiting student, do you pay the tuition at your home school or at your visiting school?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

shock259 wrote:Can't find any info on the school's websites: Would it make any sense to go to a lower ranked and cheaper state school during 3L to save money if you already have a biglaw offer? As a visiting student, do you pay the tuition at your home school or at your visiting school?

You pay tuition at the visiting school. This would make sense if you could swing it. I knew someone who went to a t25 and spent 3L year at their in state school...that ended up being a considerable savings with in state tuition.

target

Postby target » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm

shock259 wrote:Can't find any info on the school's websites: Would it make any sense to go to a lower ranked and cheaper state school during 3L to save money if you already have a biglaw offer? As a visiting student, do you pay the tuition at your home school or at your visiting school?

Did you transfer? If so, check your new school's and ABA's policy. I remember reading somewhere that you have to be in-residence at your transfer school for the remaining two years.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

that is exactly why i want to do this VS thing

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:50 am

target wrote:

Did you transfer? If so, check your new school's and ABA's policy. I remember reading somewhere that you have to be in-residence at your transfer school for the remaining two years.

Yeah I did transfer. And that wouldn't surprise me, as it would be kind of odd to do my 1st year at state T1, 2nd year at CCN, 3rd year at state school, and then get a degree from state school.

I'll look into it, though. Thanks.

1L Student

Postby 1L Student » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am

I will be attending a law school in Florida, but want to attend law school in California for my 2L and 3L years. I am conflicted as to whether or not I should apply as a transfer student or a visiting student. Which option has better chances of being accepted?? Having read the earlier thread, I see that in order to go the visiting student route you must have a "compelling" reason and I do not. I just want to attend school in the market in which I want to practice post graduation. Also, does anyone know the chances of being accepted as a transfer student to a school where you would be moving up a tier? Please let me know your opionions or first hand experience!

michaelbluth

Postby michaelbluth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 pm

1L Student wrote:I will be attending a law school in Florida, but want to attend law school in California for my 2L and 3L years. I am conflicted as to whether or not I should apply as a transfer student or a visiting student. Which option has better chances of being accepted?? Having read the earlier thread, I see that in order to go the visiting student route you must have a "compelling" reason and I do not. I just want to attend school in the market in which I want to practice post graduation. Also, does anyone know the chances of being accepted as a transfer student to a school where you would be moving up a tier? Please let me know your opionions or first hand experience!

Why would you start in Florida if you want to practice in California? It makes way more sense to start in California and stay there.

IIRC, you generally can't visit for 2 years because of residency requirements. (You must complete a minimum number of credits at the school from which you graduate.)

To transfer, especially to transfer up, you need to be fairly well ranked at your 1L school. How well ranked will depend on how big a jump you're making.

target

Postby target » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Why would you start in Florida if you want to practice in California? It makes way more sense to start in California and stay there.

lasttimearound

Postby lasttimearound » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 am

Are any of you visiting students? I'm looking into the process as well and was wondering how students are evaluated. It looks like most require transcripts but there a few who don't (Pepperdine, for instance). Is it basically based on a "compelling reason" for wanting to spend your 3L year at x school? That's the impression I get.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Is wanting to take advantage of a special curriculum/set of classes a compelling enough reason to be a visiting student? I am looking into applying to spend my 3L year at a t20 in a secondary market (where I will be working after graduation. Currently at CCN if that matters at all. Thanks for any advice!

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Also, are there any potential negative ramifications from spending 3L at a lower ranked school?

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Also, are there any potential negative ramifications from spending 3L at a lower ranked school?

the smell

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:59 pm

patogordo wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Also, are there any potential negative ramifications from spending 3L at a lower ranked school?

the smell

It smells better in the secondary than in NY, so that would be a plus

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm a 1L at Emory, I know I'm thinking far ahead but I think that spending my 3L year at FIU, UM, St. Thomas, or NSU will be good for me because my target is Miami (ties, family, home). Hopefully when the time comes, I will be able to go to one of those schools for 3L, preferably FIU, I will save tons in living costs and tuition because I can live with parents.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm

I think a visiting student pays the tuition for their home institution, not where they're visiting.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think a visiting student pays the tuition for their home institution, not where they're visiting.

I think they pay full tuition at the school they're visiting, and sometimes some minimal tuition at their home school, with fin aid being forwarded from the home school to the target school.

[edited for grammar after seeing my post quoted]
Last edited by BVest on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:10 pm

BVest wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think a visiting student pays the tuition for their home institution, not where they're visiting.

I think they pay full tuition at the school their visiting, and sometimes some minimal tuition at their home school, with fin aid being forwarded from the home school to the target school.

I have no clue how the money stuff works it works :/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”