what is the perfect law school bag? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lightbulb1986

Bronze

Re: what is the perfect law school bag?

Post by lightbulb1986 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Sun May 16, 2010 5:18 am

Last edited by RUQRU on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

findlayswimmer28

New

Post by findlayswimmer28 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:47 am

I have a Tom Bihn, Empire Builder, with their absolute strap. It is amazing!! The bag holds WAY more than I ever need to carry and the strap disperses the weight so it doesn't seem as heavy. Very pricey, but totally worth it!!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Sun May 16, 2010 8:55 am

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &pid=46357

used this bag for travel at work, a little bit older model.

Think it would be perfect for law school, especially for men.

It looks great and has a lot of room, very comfortable.

price tag is a lot.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 am

The Binh bag mentioned above is awesome if you want something modern. Otherwise, I favor this:
--ImageRemoved--

or else the simple NF backpack.
--ImageRemoved--

Those convertible panniers looked cool too, although I can't imagine I'll ever be tough enough to ride to school and back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sun May 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Steven Perry wrote:Image

No love for the classic L.L. Bean?
This is the exact bag I use in law school, except it has my initials on it and not somebody else's. And it's kind of gross because I've had it since eighth grade.

But it works as well as any other backpack. Also, every time I see a fellow first-year with a briefcase-type bag who isn't going to an interview, I giggle. Can't help it.

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Sun May 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:Image

No love for the classic L.L. Bean?
This is the exact bag I use in law school, except it has my initials on it and not somebody else's. And it's kind of gross because I've had it since eighth grade.

But it works as well as any other backpack. Also, every time I see a fellow first-year with a briefcase-type bag who isn't going to an interview, I giggle. Can't help it.
agreed. 99% of people at my ls wear a backpack, not a briefcase. a briefcase makes you look like you are overdoing it, similar to wearing a suit to class.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

I have a Coach leather briefcase with a padded insert sewn in for laptop storage, very similar to this:

--ImageRemoved--

I've used it for the past 5 years for my job and it has held up INCREDIBLY. Hell, it's just now broken in. You get what you pay for.

That said, I have this as well that I've basically used as my carry-on bag for traveling and imagine it will be what I use most considering how many books a day I'll be lugging around:

--ImageRemoved--

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 16, 2010 1:15 pm

This does not fit in my budget, but I submit the Valentino petale tote:

--ImageRemoved--

and lovely for off duty, too:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 pm

RUQRU

Bronze

Post by RUQRU » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 am

atlantalaw wrote: 99% of people at my ls wear a backpack, not a briefcase. a briefcase makes you look like you are overdoing it, similar to wearing a suit to class.
Why are people so concerned? If you want to carry a briefcase, so what? Who cares if some no class, no fashion 22 year-old disapproves of your carry? Be a man, carry a briefcase! Project confidence. Backpacks make you look like some elementary school kid with a packed lunch.

It is amazing how law students are so conformist.

McKleinUSA also makes this beauty:

HARRISON #83384

Leather 17" Partner Laptop Brief

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

ChewbaccaDefense

New

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 am

I use the Kelty Redwing 3100 cubic inch pack for EVERYTHING. Definitely the most versatile bag I've owned. For work, I just use the compression straps, so even though it looks bulky in the picture, it packs way down. Plenty of room in there for all the books you'll need and a separate compartment for a laptop. Also, I can use this for week-long vacations/trips when it's fully expanded, yet it still fits in the overhead compartments on planes. Also, the shoulder straps are the most comfortable I've had.

I know some people suggest the rolling suitcase things, but I personally think that, save for some existing back condition, law students should probably get all the exercise they can get, including lugging pounds of stuff on their backs.
Last edited by ChewbaccaDefense on Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 am

I'm planning on using a Longchamp tote in the biggest size since I don't like backpacks (and hopefully the fact that I get a locker for 1L means I don't have to carry tons of huge books around all the time). If my back/shoulders start to hurt, I'll probably revert to my old North Face backpack. No briefcase for me though, now or ever (imo, it looks weird when women carry them).

edit: the Valentino bag above is gorgeous, wish I could afford it!

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 am

blue5385 wrote:I'm planning on using a Longchamp tote in the biggest size since I don't like backpacks (and hopefully the fact that I get a locker for 1L means I don't have to carry tons of huge books around all the time). If my back/shoulders start to hurt, I'll probably revert to my old North Face backpack. No briefcase for me though, now or ever (imo, it looks weird when women carry them).

THIS.

Longchamp tote FTW for women!

Or

LV Neverfull GM (the large one).

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 am

op-ti wrote:
blue5385 wrote:I'm planning on using a Longchamp tote in the biggest size since I don't like backpacks (and hopefully the fact that I get a locker for 1L means I don't have to carry tons of huge books around all the time). If my back/shoulders start to hurt, I'll probably revert to my old North Face backpack. No briefcase for me though, now or ever (imo, it looks weird when women carry them).

THIS.

Or

The Neverfull is cute, but iirc it's open top, and I'm worried about open top bags in the rain and snow. :( I like that the Longchamp is durable & has a top zipper.
Last edited by blue5385 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

blue5385 wrote:
op-ti wrote:

THIS.

Or

The Neverfull is cute, but iirc it's open top, and I'm worried about open top bags in the rain and snow. :(

True that.

I guess then you gotta have both :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:50 am

op-ti wrote:True that.

I guess then you gotta have both :wink:
of course! :mrgreen:

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 pm

I use this for snowboarding... it has waist and chest straps plus a back pad that I can slip my snowboard through so I don't have to carry it, a water bottle holder, a waterproof camera pouch, and a insulated goggle pouch. It holds 20L (huge) and is amazing for backcountry day trips.

Thing is, while it looks good with my jacket, beanie, and snowpants... It is way too busy to wear to school. I think I'd give people a seizure.

I'd like to find the same bag, but in black.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 17, 2010 12:13 pm

op-ti wrote:

THIS.

Or

Good choices all. The Longchamp tote is very popular at my school. I think it's really well designed, and my understanding is they last forever, which would be good for me, since I am extremely hard on bags. My first law school bag was the one on the left, by Mayle, from Fall 2008. (I got a great deal on it, and so sad she stopped designing!) I do advise against carrying a cloth bag, though. I wore it out.

--ImageRemoved--

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon May 17, 2010 12:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
op-ti wrote:

THIS.

Or

Good choices all. The Longchamp tote is very popular at my school. I think it's really well designed, and my understanding is they last forever, which would be good for me, since I am extremely hard on bags. My first law school bag was the one on the left, by Mayle, from Fall 2008. (I got a great deal on it, and so sad she stopped designing!) I do advise against carrying a cloth bag, though. I wore it out.

--ImageRemoved--
Doesn't the thin, over the shoulder style throw your back outta whack? Seems like carrying that around all day with 20+ lbs in it would kinda suck.

I guess pain is beauty, or whatever it is people that dress nice say.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon May 17, 2010 12:20 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &pid=46357

used this bag for travel at work, a little bit older model.

Think it would be perfect for law school, especially for men.

It looks great and has a lot of room, very comfortable.

price tag is a lot.
You'd have to be a tool to buy a $450 bag for law school.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Good choices all. The Longchamp tote is very popular at my school. I think it's really well designed, and my understanding is they last forever, which would be good for me, since I am extremely hard on bags. My first law school bag was the one on the left, by Mayle, from Fall 2008. (I got a great deal on it, and so sad she stopped designing!) I do advise against carrying a cloth bag, though. I wore it out.

--ImageRemoved--
I've had my Longchamp tote for years and it really does last, and is easy to clean. All the bags you linked are cute, but I especially like the Mayle one. I know where you're coming from on the cloth bags, which sucks because I have a very cute no-label one that is roomy enough for my laptop & a couple big textbooks, but would wear out fast if I used it for school. :(

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:28 pm

daesonesb wrote:Doesn't the thin, over the shoulder style throw your back outta whack? Seems like carrying that around all day with 20+ lbs in it would kinda suck.

I guess pain is beauty, or whatever it is people that dress nice say.
yes on all counts. I think a backpack looks silly with my favorite coats and outfits, so I'm willing to suffer back pain to look pulled together.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon May 17, 2010 12:31 pm

lightbulb1986 wrote:
this one made me lol[/quote]

unnecessary

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”