iPhone apps for law students.... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
studebaker07

Bronze

iPhone apps for law students....

Post by studebaker07 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Did a search on the forums for different law school-related apps that are available for the iPhone but couldn't find anything useful.

Has anyone used the Law in a Flash applications for the iPhone or touch? Are they useful?

What about the black's law dictionary app? Seems like a great resource to have in a small device like the iPhone which can be easily consulted. Wayyyyy easier than lugging around the thick book version.

Just want some opinions before I shell out the $40 a so (yikes!)

lmb

New

Re: iPhone apps for law students....

Post by lmb » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 pm

did you search on the iPhone itself under "law"? You'll find the apps by the law pod (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure; Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure; Federal Rules of Bankruptcy; Federal Rules of Evidence and the U.S. Constitution). I have no idea if they're useful or not (i'm like a -1L), but they're only 99 cents, so you're not out a lot of money if they suck.

edmoser

New

Post by edmoser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:45 pm

I downloaded one of the federal rules applications. I'd recommend just sticking with the books. I thought it'd be easier to just bring a small ipod to class rather than the larger book, but the problem that you run into is that you don't see all of the provisions around the one you're looking at, so there are things you'll miss b/c you can't see the provision right next to the one you're looking at that may be more relevant.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:53 pm

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm

lmb wrote:did you search on the iPhone itself under "law"? You'll find the apps by the law pod (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure; Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure; Federal Rules of Bankruptcy; Federal Rules of Evidence and the U.S. Constitution). I have no idea if they're useful or not (i'm like a -1L), but they're only 99 cents, so you're not out a lot of money if they suck.
No I just did the search on iTunes under the apps section of the store. I don't have the newest iPhone, still running on 2G but I am picking up a new phone next week when they update.

I am checking the iTunes store right now from my computer and I notice that there are some 0.99 apps, but those are mainly references. I am guessing the higher price for the law in a flash applications is because they are full-fledged study guides??
edmoser wrote:I downloaded one of the federal rules applications. I'd recommend just sticking with the books. I thought it'd be easier to just bring a small ipod to class rather than the larger book, but the problem that you run into is that you don't see all of the provisions around the one you're looking at, so there are things you'll miss b/c you can't see the provision right next to the one you're looking at that may be more relevant.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if blacks law dictionary would be helpful? I mean, if there are a lot of things missing from the dictionary, then it is kind of pointless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am

I have a blackberry storm, does anyone know of any apps that are supported by this device?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm

studebaker07 wrote:
lmb wrote:did you search on the iPhone itself under "law"? You'll find the apps by the law pod (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure; Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure; Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure; Federal Rules of Bankruptcy; Federal Rules of Evidence and the U.S. Constitution). I have no idea if they're useful or not (i'm like a -1L), but they're only 99 cents, so you're not out a lot of money if they suck.
No I just did the search on iTunes under the apps section of the store. I don't have the newest iPhone, still running on 2G but I am picking up a new phone next week when they update.

I am checking the iTunes store right now from my computer and I notice that there are some 0.99 apps, but those are mainly references. I am guessing the higher price for the law in a flash applications is because they are full-fledged study guides??
edmoser wrote:I downloaded one of the federal rules applications. I'd recommend just sticking with the books. I thought it'd be easier to just bring a small ipod to class rather than the larger book, but the problem that you run into is that you don't see all of the provisions around the one you're looking at, so there are things you'll miss b/c you can't see the provision right next to the one you're looking at that may be more relevant.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if blacks law dictionary would be helpful? I mean, if there are a lot of things missing from the dictionary, then it is kind of pointless.
I consulted Black's one time during 1L year, while I was working on a brief.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:08 pm

dood wrote:
angiej wrote:I have a blackberry storm, does anyone know of any apps that are supported by this device?
fail. :wink:
yeah, in all honesty I would love an iphone, but my firm gave me the option between a storm and a curve, and my personal plan is through Verizon. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Duffman

New

Post by Duffman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

studebaker07 wrote:What about the black's law dictionary app? Seems like a great resource to have in a small device like the iPhone which can be easily consulted. Wayyyyy easier than lugging around the thick book version.
Duffman says: Newsflash! Nobody carries around Black's Law DicTTTionary.

jmaxgunn

New

Post by jmaxgunn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Duffman wrote:
studebaker07 wrote:What about the black's law dictionary app? Seems like a great resource to have in a small device like the iPhone which can be easily consulted. Wayyyyy easier than lugging around the thick book version.
Duffman says: Newsflash! Nobody carries around Black's Law DicTTTionary.
Except a third of the 1Ls I've seen in class.

I find the dictionary app pretty useful since it's a lot faster than flipping through the paper version or waiting and waiting and waiting for the Westlaw website to load.

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

I don't think you need Black's at all, but I will admit to having a FRCP application, which has actually turned out to be dead useful when study group would be meeting and everyone had forgotten their copy of the book. Oh, and you should definitely have a copy of the Constitution on that puppy, which I do consult when I want the exact wording while reading and haven't got my pocket copy handy. I think I have the application "Our Rights," which was free and also has the Declaration, the Bill of Rights, and the Federalist Papers.

Duffman

New

Post by Duffman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:32 pm

[/quote]

Duffman says: Newsflash! Nobody carries around Black's Law DicTTTionary.[/quote]

Except a third of the 1Ls I've seen in class.

I find the dictionary app pretty useful since it's a lot faster than flipping through the paper version or waiting and waiting and waiting for the Westlaw website to load.[/quote]

Duffman dominates his TTT and never cracks Black's Law DicTTTionary!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 am

I know this thread is necro, but I'm resurrecting it because I wanted to know the answer to this, imagine others will too, and found a great link to share (and this thread is the top result when you google Iphone Apps for Law Students).

http://www.businessinsider.com/law-stud ... pps-2010-2

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Anyone else find anything??

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:39 pm

0L disclaimer

Check out one called "lawstack." Its really just a list of the federal rules of evidence, civil procedure, the constitution, etc. But it seems like it could be helpful in a pinch.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:28 am

betasteve wrote:
studebaker07 wrote:Did a search on the forums for different law school-related apps that are available for the iPhone but couldn't find anything useful.

Has anyone used the Law in a Flash applications for the iPhone or touch? Are they useful?

What about the black's law dictionary app? Seems like a great resource to have in a small device like the iPhone which can be easily consulted. Wayyyyy easier than lugging around the thick book version.

I love having blacks on my iphone. Plus, you get pronunciations. I mean, really, how would you say certiorari correctly without it?
Incorrectly?

Edit: I'd just say cert, which is exactly how I say it now with Black's on my iPhone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

betasteve wrote:
studebaker07 wrote:Did a search on the forums for different law school-related apps that are available for the iPhone but couldn't find anything useful.

I love having blacks on my iphone. Plus, you get pronunciations. I mean, really, how would you say certiorari correctly without it?
With a hard C for traditional Roman Latin, a soft s-like c for modern bungled Latin.

As to OP's question, iStudiez. Shit is bomb.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:41 pm

anything for the computer that is helpful as well?

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 am

bigmnstyle wrote:anything for the computer that is helpful as well?
Yeah, my suggestion is a great text-to-speech program, because you obviously don't know how to read.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Sounds interesting... where can I get it? How about something we haven't heard about by typing in best iphone apps for law school in a google search?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

macattaq wrote:
betasteve wrote:

With a hard C for traditional Roman Latin, a soft s-like c for modern bungled Latin.

As to OP's question, iStudiez. Shit is bomb.
Yeah, one of the things I love about Latin is that pronunciation has varied so much over time and place that any way you say it is correct in a sense. 'C' has been pronounced as an 's', 'k' and 'ch' by completely fluent speakers at various times and places.

findlayswimmer28

New

Post by findlayswimmer28 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:09 pm

My husband used the Law in a Flash app and really liked them. The convenience of having the whole box of cards on the iPod Touch was really nice. No matter where he was, he would take the Touch with him so that if he was waiting at say a doctor's office, he could get some studying time in.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 pm

interesting thread.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:45 pm

clint4law wrote:interesting thread.
you are terrible at the internet

Seriously? What are you waiting for?