What it means to CALI a class? Monetary awards always? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eponinee

New

What it means to CALI a class? Monetary awards always?

Post by Eponinee » Fri May 15, 2009 1:38 am

My best friend Cali'd (spelling?) a class during 1L and says she got 10,000 for doing so.
Do all law schools give $ to the top performer in a particular class? Is this just for 1L classes?
How much is commonly given?
What does CALI even stand for?

linquest

Bronze

Re: What it means to CALI a class? Monetary awards always?

Post by linquest » Fri May 15, 2009 1:47 am

CALI = Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction
I've never heard someone use CALI as a verb. Usually, when you hear "CALI" in class, they're talking about taking an online lesson through CALI.
Awards: http://www2.cali.org/index.php?fuseacti ... wards.home
My school doesn't bother with them. I think CALI just issues the award at faculty request. If there's money involved, I think that comes from the school, not CALI.

2lstudent

New

Post by 2lstudent » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 am

At my school Cali's are given to the top performer in any class. They are unrelated to any sort of online tests, only related to normal coursework. I received one, but never any money with it. I think that is up to to the school. Though since they are given at my school for EVERY class, it seems like it would get expensive to hand out 10k a shot.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat May 16, 2009 8:21 am

Cali'd can be used as a verb so don't worry. There are Cali lessons, which are little tutorials about different topics of certain classes. But Cali'd just means that the person got the best grade in the class.

Harry Cali'd Property. --------> Harry got the highest grade in our property class.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sat May 16, 2009 9:27 am

Other schools give the same awards (usually no cash). Sometimes called an "Amjur Award," and I think sometimes called a "Book Award." To CALI something means to Book it (i.e., get the highest grade in a class).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

linquest

Bronze

Post by linquest » Sat May 16, 2009 9:45 am

Ah, that makes sense...my school doesn't give CALI awards (or grades, for that matter), so I automatically think of the lessons. BTW- some of those lessons are really great, esp. If your prof or books suck. I used them in Crim, Contracts, and ProRes instead of buying hornbooks.

finalnight

New

Post by finalnight » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Cali is a verb here too, but no money with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”