LEEWS? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uzpakalis

Bronze

Re: LEEWS?

Post by uzpakalis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 am

Save your money. Read GTM.

I will teach your LEEWS right now: (1) use topic headings, and (2) put every issue/element into a separate paragraph....done.

seriousstudenttt

New

Post by seriousstudenttt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:32 pm

mirweins wrote:LEEWS IS TERRIBLE, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I went to a LEEWS seminar in Detroit, MI last term. Wentworth Miller is a pompous a-hole. He wastes too much time talking about himself and he is a huge jerk. I walked in a few minutes late because of traffic and he called me out in front of the whole group telling me if he was expected to be on-time, then I should be on-time as well. Another student whispered something to another group member about the assignment, and Miller's exact answer was "if you want to talk, exit the room".

Then, he proceeded to tell some girl in front of the whole class the she needs to take law school more seriously, as if he was her father.

In regards to the actual course, it's a waster of 8 hours, he just talks and talks about the same thing over and over. In a nutshell, READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND OPEN YOUR MIND, ALWAYS ARGUE BOTH SIDES! I just saved you $200.

I am not a bitter student, after my first term I had a 3.83 gpa. HOWEVER, I did not do this with the help of LEEWS. I never even picked up that yellow book ever again after I left the seminar.

Wentworth Miller ruined the class for me, and he did for several other students for me. He is not friendly, and he is not there to help you. You are just a dollar sign to him.

Save your money!
Put it in the blender! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!!!!!

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Last edited by mbusch22 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idfatq

New

Post by idfatq » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:32 am

for those who have used the CDs / torrent, how long is the whole program? How much time should I set aside in the summer to go through it?

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 pm

idfatq wrote:for those who have used the CDs / torrent, how long is the whole program? How much time should I set aside in the summer to go through it?
I think it was like 8-9 hours total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Law preview classes are worthless. LEEWS is good but it's not a preview course. It's a method for addressing exams. There is a huge difference. (I did LEEWS audio, and while I don't use it 100% I've incorporated some of it's methods.)

Edit: I also read GTM and incorporated it as well.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:19 pm

How much has LEEWS changed in the past 20 years? I have a feeling law school exams haven't changed much, but I thought I'd ask. My mom still has her old LEEWS on cassette (from way back when, like '88 or '89). If they're not destroyed, I can get a walkman for like ten bucks and do that shit the old fashioned way.

Unless LEEWS has changed dramatically...

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:20 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
idfatq wrote:for those who have used the CDs / torrent, how long is the whole program? How much time should I set aside in the summer to go through it?
I think it was like 8-9 hours total.
What's a good time frame for internalizing that stuff? I figure an hour a week isn't too demanding.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I found LEEWS pretty worthless in terms of actually being able to distinguish myself from my peers, since a lot had already put in the legwork to find out what law exams are like, and LEEWS really is elementary. I can see the program helping at less competitive schools, but really, if you go to a T14, it seems like more of a waste of time than anything else.

I also think it's funny that their guarantee is top third or at least a 2.7 GPA, or your money back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I dunno, it's hard to argue that 8-9 hours is a waste of time in the long run. An hour or two a week for a little while isn't demanding. If you're at a competitive school I'm sure a lot of the type a freaks are going to be reading every book they can get their hands on. It feels sort of like National Honor Society in high school-really worthless club, but the type of thing you're sort of expected to be in. Whatever. Not like I'm speaking from experience. If my time is better spent watching Futurama reruns, I guess I'll suck it up and do that instead.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I dunno, it's hard to argue that 8-9 hours is a waste of time in the long run. An hour or two a week for a little while isn't demanding. If you're at a competitive school I'm sure a lot of the type a freaks are going to be reading every book they can get their hands on. It feels sort of like National Honor Society in high school-really worthless club, but the type of thing you're sort of expected to be in. Whatever. Not like I'm speaking for experience. If my time is better spent watching Futurama reruns, I guess I'll suck it up and do that instead.
I think you'd be better off taking an extra practice exam or two or re-reading GTM. Just my opinion, but one that's widely held among people who did really well at T14 schools.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I dunno, it's hard to argue that 8-9 hours is a waste of time in the long run. An hour or two a week for a little while isn't demanding. If you're at a competitive school I'm sure a lot of the type a freaks are going to be reading every book they can get their hands on. It feels sort of like National Honor Society in high school-really worthless club, but the type of thing you're sort of expected to be in. Whatever. Not like I'm speaking for experience. If my time is better spent watching Futurama reruns, I guess I'll suck it up and do that instead.
I think you'd be better off taking an extra practice exam or two or re-reading GTM. Just my opinion, but one that's widely held among people who did really well at T14 schools.
Yeah, GTM seems to be the one universally recommended thing. You mean practice exams during the semester right? Or do people seriously do practice exams before entering LS?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Yeah, GTM seems to be the one universally recommended thing. You mean practice exams during the semester right? Or do people seriously do practice exams before entering LS?
Oh, god, no. No practice exams before entering LS. If you're talking 0L prep, you're probably better off relaxing for eight hours, or reading a legal reasoning book, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Like-Law ... 364&sr=8-1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skydiverJD

New

Post by skydiverJD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I dont mind watching u punch him 4 20 mins; that sob took my $ 4 the course, then I didn't make his guarantee, so I asked 4 my $ back; do u think he gave it 2 me? He gave some bs reason becuz I bought both the home course & attended the live one, the guarantee didn't "apply" to me. About a week later, I get a call saying I'm eligible for $5-10 back as opposed 2 what I paid. To top this off, he then asked ms if I would hand out flyers 4 his program. If I'm not mistaken, no one from the following years 1L came from my alma mater 2 his course! I guess next time Mr Miller, return the $ 4 1 course & save the loss of potential hundreds of attendees! Keep him in the freaking blender!!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I didn't find LEEWS particularly helpful. Law school isn't about doing well an any old law school exam. Rather, it is about doing well on YOUR professor's exam. And each professor is very different. Thus, the types of exams you take will be very different. There is no general way to approach exams aside from a few basic pieces of advice that you can get in an hour. The real key is learning exactly what your professor wants and tailoring your entire approach to meet those specific ends.

YYZ

Bronze

Post by YYZ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm listening to the CDs right now, and it is very helpful.

jcdc

New

Post by jcdc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Anyone else looking to sell their used LEEWS set? PM me; I'd love to buy one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:04 am

I found LEEWS very helpful. I used it in-between the 1st & 2nd semesters of law school and went from 0 A's to 3 A's in my 2nd semester.

But then again, that is just my case. I'm sure other people have different reactions to it.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Man, $175?!
It isn't that I don't want to spend $175, but man, thats more even than I expected it to be...

If someone was interested in selling their set for less and $175, I'd be interested.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 am

Anybody have theirs for sale used?
Or at the very least, has anyone just used the CDs and been satisfied? Is there something magical in the book that I won't benefit from if I just get the CDs?
At this point I've decided I'm interested in the program, its just a matter of actually obtaining it.
I can listen to the system on the train as I ride in to school in the morning, I should be able to get through all 8-9 hours in a month or so.

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 am

i have the LEEWS CDs and from the material covered it seems worth it to buy the CD set rather than attend the class. It is quite repetitive, which is good because it enforces what you are learning, and I think the CDs have added benefits the class wouldn't.
1. you always have the material to refer back to. You can listen to the CD as many times as you want, compared to taking a class once
2. you can go at your own pace. It seems like you would be burnt out and extremely exhausted by the end of the class

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

droges

Bronze

Post by droges » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 am

I would also recommend GTM as a supplement. I think they actually work really well together. Separately, each has certain weaknesses but after doing them both, I have found that they provide some sort of clarity.

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the insight.
So in that case, do you think it would be fine to buy just the CD set alone, sans any of the other materials that come with the set when you buy it from the LEEWS website?
Theres a friend of a friend of a friend who has his set for sale, but he only has the CDs, he "lost the book and the rest of the stuff that went with it."

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

69Coronet wrote:Thanks for the insight.
So in that case, do you think it would be fine to buy just the CD set alone, sans any of the other materials that come with the set when you buy it from the LEEWS website?
Theres a friend of a friend of a friend who has his set for sale, but he only has the CDs, he "lost the book and the rest of the stuff that went with it."
You ca get LEEWS through inter-library loan at many schools. You may want to borrow a copy before deciding to purchase it...

69Coronet

New

Post by 69Coronet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:00 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
69Coronet wrote:Thanks for the insight.
You ca get LEEWS through inter-library loan at many schools. You may want to borrow a copy before deciding to purchase it...
I did not realize that schools would have access to such a thing, but I suppose that wasn't very resourceful of me.
Thank you very much for the tip!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”