Having a dog in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Rsrcht

Bronze

Re: Having a dog in law school

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am

I'm thinking of adopting an ex-racer Greyhound either during 2L or 3L. They are like most dogs when they want to have fun. But are considered "low maintenence" because they sit around all day and can be trained well. Ex-racers are leash trained already, are used to lots of humans, and most of the puppy phase has left depending upon the age. They also sleep a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cb_unsEV8

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 am

linquest wrote: I always feel a little sorry for dogs kept in NYC, but then again, I think every dog deserves a backyard.
I live in a large city also and feel the same way. I work at a law school and occasionally see dogs on campus, but not often.

I would also note that I live in a studio with two cats and it's a bit cramped. I think even small dogs need a lot of space, as compared to my lazy cats. It's also true that many apartment complexes will accept caged animals or cats but will not take dogs because of the potential for barking.

Have you considered a ferret?
Last edited by revolution724 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 am

dante500 wrote:
cantaboot wrote:It'll be quite a bit of a burden ...
There is a 3L at my school who goes everywhere with her dog, even attends classes with the dog ... I think otherwise she would not find enough time to walk the dog.

be prepared to bring your dog to school ...
I would be SOOOO pissed if I showed up to class and somebody sat next to me with a dog. I'm not the type to complain or cause a ruckus unnecessarily, but I'd blow a f@#king gasket. Anybody else think showing up to class with an animal is ridiculous?
Unless it was a "working" dog. For example, a guide dog for a blind person or someone with another permanent disability.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 am

Rsrcht wrote:
dante500 wrote:
There is a 3L at my school who goes everywhere with her dog, even attends classes with the dog ... I think otherwise she would not find enough time to walk the dog.

I would be SOOOO pissed if I showed up to class and somebody sat next to me with a dog. I'm not the type to complain or cause a ruckus unnecessarily, but I'd blow a f@#king gasket. Anybody else think showing up to class with an animal is ridiculous?
Unless it was a "working" dog. For example, a guide dog for a blind person or someone with another permanent disability.
Oh, well, completely different. Working dogs get my total respect and understanding, but just a regular ol' "hanging out" dog coming to chill out in class would make me lose it, I'm afraid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 am

paratactical wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
linquest wrote: I always feel a little sorry for dogs kept in NYC, but then again, I think every dog deserves a backyard.
I live in a large city also and feel the same way. I work at a law school and occasionally see dogs on campus, but not often.

I would also note that I live in a studio with two cats and it's a bit cramped. I think even small dogs need a lot of space, as compared to my lazy cats. It's also true that many apartment complexes will accept caged animals or cats but will not take dogs because of the potential for barking.

Ferrets are illegal to own in NYC.
Further, I'd ask the OP why not just forgo a pet at all at the start. Get into your routine, gauge school and the monopoly it is placing on your time and responsibilities, and if at that point you feel you can/want to handle a dog, cat, rabbit or other NYC-legal animal check it out then. Why do it to yourself while you are starting LS? One stressful event at a time :)

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:43 am

paratactical wrote:
Seriously? Learn something new every day. o.O

Edit: Oh yeah, hey, you could have a bunny, they're fairly low-maintenance, I think? I don't think I'd necessarily completely discourage the OP from having any sort of pet in law school. I haven't attended yet, but I've been to grad school, and it can be very helpful to have some sort of animal companion to help reduce stress and provide company. As a single person, it's that much more important to have somebody at home who's happy to see you to help combat loneliness, although the OP did say that she has a fiance. Just something that requires less intensive attention as a dog might, eh?
Last edited by revolution724 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 am

Sh1t, now I can't move ot NYC and bring my gliding lemur or polar bear. Decisions, decisions...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am

IMHO I really think it's a terrible and not to mention selfish plan to get a puppy or dog while you're in law school. I have a dog, but she's currently living with my parents because I just could not find the time to be a good parent to her, and I'm just working ... I haven't even started school yet. It was heart breaking (legitimately, I like wept) making the decision that it would be better for her well-being that I give her up. Especially getting a puppy, they need a lot of attention and time for training and proper socializing. Having a dog is great, and so rewarding, but as a law student I really REALLY would discourage getting one. Get a cat they're much less demanding! :roll:

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am

No iguanas either? Crazy talk!

What the hell is a hyrax?

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:52 am

dante500 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
revolution724 wrote:

Further, I'd ask the OP why not just forgo a pet at all at the start. Get into your routine, gauge school and the monopoly it is placing on your time and responsibilities, and if at that point you feel you can/want to handle a dog, cat, rabbit or other NYC-legal animal check it out then. Why do it to yourself while you are starting LS? One stressful event at a time :)
I don't know about the OP, but for me the appeal of getting a dog pre-1L is that I figure this summer is the last time I'll have 3 months of (mostly) free time, which seems like the amount of time needed to train/adjust a puppy.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 am

paratactical wrote:
Their are four different kinds. From Africa and the Middle East. Lots of rodent qualities.
Dare I ask why you know all of this?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 am

revolution724 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Their are four different kinds. From Africa and the Middle East. Lots of rodent qualities.
I love Google.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 am

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 am

PubIntLawyer wrote:I don't know about the OP, but for me the appeal of getting a dog pre-1L is that I figure this summer is the last time I'll have 3 months of (mostly) free time, which seems like the amount of time needed to train/adjust a puppy.
Good point I guess. I'm just not a dog person, so spending my last three months of free time cleaning up poop and related puppy messes just before starting a three year LS adventure seems about as appealing as spending a Wednesday night playing Russian Roulette, repetitively, until I lost. But I digress... :)
paratactical wrote:
revolution724 wrote:No iguanas either? Crazy talk!

What the hell is a hyrax?

Cute as a button.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

senegalese_filmmaker

New

Post by senegalese_filmmaker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 am

dante500 wrote:

Yes, I agree 100%. (aside from seeing eye dogs of course) It is totally inappropriate.

joebruin999

New

Post by joebruin999 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 am

Bosque wrote:
joebruin999 wrote:How about getting a German Shepherd (like me) and getting a fake "dog in training" vest? That way you won't feel bad if it behaves badly, the vest is pretty much the only excuse you need. A little immoral, yes. Im just sayin...
You might want to get a real dog training vest, and make sure it is from one of the programs that actually raises German Shepherds. Or else don't run into someone who has actually done it.

We can always tell.
I meant fake because my dog isn't actually in any guide dog program, but still wears a real Guide Dogs of America "dog in training" vest. Not only does everyone love that you have a dog everywhere you go, but they think you're doing something for a good cause.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 am

I have a dog and I'm a 1L. I got her right before I joined the working world -- and she handled being alone from 8 to 5 just fine as a 6 month old puppy. She is 4 now and actually she loves the fact I'm in law school. I come home to study more because of her rather than staying at the library and she just sleeps next to me. When I'm gone, she usually doesnt get out of bed, cause I hear her stretching and waking up when I walk in the door.

It does depend on the type of dog, and it did take me a long time to fully house break her (dachshunds are notoriously hard though). But, a warning about having a dog-- right now I'm staring down in excess of 1-2K in expenses because she has bladder stones and may need surgery. My husband and I are both in grad school-- so it makes the $ that much more stressful.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:18 am

Rsrcht wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I love Google.
Oh, I know it's google-able, but she wrote with an authority that suggested a more first-hand source of knowledge.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:21 am

I am taking my dog to law school with me, but she is house-trained and already used to me being at work for the duration of the day. She just naps most of the time while I'm gone (in fact, she naps for the same time period on the weekends when I'm home with her). My plan is to spend the "normal workday" on campus and then be home with her at nights. I think it's all about finding a balance, and bringing home what work you can. Mostly she's happy as long as I'm with her.

A lot of law students take time to go for a run or workout for an hour in the afternoons; I plan to go for a long walk with the pup during my study breaks. It's just a matter of making your pup a priority for the hours in the day when law school isn't. (That said: I think having a puppy to train at this time would be incredibly difficult, and in my experience, it took 8 or 9 months before she was really ready to be home by herself for the entirety of a work day).

I think I would be less human without her. Law school is stressful, and nothing helps melt your stress away like having a pup meet you at the door, excited to see you. It's just important to have a dog who isn't too high-energy (mine runs around like crazy when she gets the chance, but she's very chill when we're just hanging out in the apartment).

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:25 am

Sorry to chime in so late on this, but I think getting a puppy as a single law student is a GREAT idea as long as your objective is to make the animal completely miserable. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't do it.

Seriously, though, if you're dead set on getting a dog, why don't you rescue an older, mature dog that would be fine with being alone all day--hey, at least it's alive--than a young puppy. Just my dos pesos.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 am

Hmmm. This all really hits close to home. I was hoping to get a small dog during my 1L year. I was thinking that I would train the doggie to use wee-wee pads, just so he's not holding his bladder for 8 hours. I would still take him for walks, but that would be playtime for him and some time to chill out for me. I'll definitely spend more time studying at home (rather than at the library) because I know he's there. I know I'll make him a priority and think that having a pet will be an important part of my work-life balance.

I was planning to contact shelters for a dog that's low-key and doesn't need too much grooming expense (unlike a poodle). I think this will probably be an older dog, which is fine, so long is it's small-sized dog. I also found a dogcare service in the area I plan to be in that does $12 15-minute home visits, so I figured that I could use that together with an automatic dog feeder for when I go away for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I looked into boarding, but it's $50 a day and I don't know how a dog would feel about the sudden change in environment. I would love to take the dog with me, but cabin air travel for the small dog is $100 each way and Amtrak doesn't allow pets. This is all assuming I don't just have friendly neighbors or something.

So, is this really a bad idea? How much time would a dog require daily?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 am

alethe16 wrote:I am taking my dog to law school with me, but she is house-trained and already used to me being at work for the duration of the day. She just naps most of the time while I'm gone (in fact, she naps for the same time period on the weekends when I'm home with her). My plan is to spend the "normal workday" on campus and then be home with her at nights. I think it's all about finding a balance, and bringing home what work you can. Mostly she's happy as long as I'm with her.

A lot of law students take time to go for a run or workout for an hour in the afternoons; I plan to go for a long walk with the pup during my study breaks. It's just a matter of making your pup a priority for the hours in the day when law school isn't. (That said: I think having a puppy to train at this time would be incredibly difficult, and in my experience, it took 8 or 9 months before she was really ready to be home by herself for the entirety of a work day).

I think I would be less human without her. Law school is stressful, and nothing helps melt your stress away like having a pup meet you at the door, excited to see you. It's just important to have a dog who isn't too high-energy (mine runs around like crazy when she gets the chance, but she's very chill when we're just hanging out in the apartment).
What breed is your dog?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”