Having a dog in law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Rsrcht
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Rsrcht » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:10 pm

If hypothetically, you adopt a dog, then get rid of it because you can't handle the dog, it is not the dog's fault, it is your fault. Usually, the dog is given to a shelter where if not adopted, it may eventually meet a short end. Not paying attention to the breed tendencies, not learning how to train a breed, and not making time for the dog are all your fault.

PubIntLawyer
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby PubIntLawyer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Rsrcht wrote:If hypothetically, you adopt a dog, then get rid of it because you can't handle the dog, it is not the dog's fault, it is your fault. Usually, the dog is given to a shelter where if not adopted, it may eventually meet a short end. Not paying attention to the breed tendencies, not learning how to train a breed, and not making time for the dog are all your fault.


I don't believe anyone said otherwise; this is certainly a given. If you're getting a dog, RESEARCH and be prepared to sacrifice time/energy/money. For my fiance and I it's entirely doable... we are in the process of giring a dogwalker for the two days a week he can't be home for lunch....pretty reasonable actually.

ALilMusicFactry
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby ALilMusicFactry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:55 am

I have experience with it too, and I think you're wrong.


Wrong about what, exactly?

If you're getting a dog, RESEARCH and be prepared to sacrifice time/energy/money.


I totally agree with this. Notice I never said that law students should under no circumstances have dogs. However, you asked if, under the circumstances you described, we thought your plan was a good one. I am not sure that it is, mostly because if you think you can raise a puppy over the summer you are missing something in your research... I think, for most law students, an adult dog from a rescue would be a far more suitable choice. Not to mention that by getting a rescue you are not contributing to the overpopulation problem.

You could very well be the exception to the rule here and it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this (unlike the person who suggested sharing a dog with a roommate), but for a lot of people this situation would end with the dog in a shelter/rescue.

User avatar
john titor
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby john titor » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I successfully raised a puppy in my first year of law school and I found it neither impossible nor particularly difficult.

awaiting
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby awaiting » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote:
If researched CAREFULLY and well planned, having a puppy during 1L can be wonderful, both for the student and the dog.


Um have you DONE it? I have, and many of my friends have. It may SOUND easy on paper, but it isn't.


Hey ALilMusicFactry, what sources of research do you recommend? I was on the thread earlier and have been starting some research on the web and youtube, which Rsrcht recommended, but wanted to know your opinion as well.

User avatar
cantaboot
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:12 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby cantaboot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I actually love the drama on this topic ....
haha .... I guess I don't have to bash arrogant people; others will bash them for me.

ALilMusicFactry
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby ALilMusicFactry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:27 pm

There are lots of good sources on the web; even some forums where breeders and trainers post.

Search Amazon for books and read the reviews for the popular ones. Their philosophies vary widely, so decide where you fall on the spectrum and buy accordingly. Books that deal with behavioral problems are helpful from a prevention perspective. Attend some local training classes, and talk to breeders (does not just have to be for the breed you want). Shelters often hold educational events. You could drop by a nearby dog park and talk to owners.

User avatar
Rsrcht
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Rsrcht » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote:There are lots of good sources on the web; even some forums where breeders and trainers post.

Search Amazon for books and read the reviews for the popular ones. Their philosophies vary widely, so decide where you fall on the spectrum and buy accordingly. Books that deal with behavioral problems are helpful from a prevention perspective. Attend some local training classes, and talk to breeders (does not just have to be for the breed you want). Shelters often hold educational events. You could drop by a nearby dog park and talk to owners.


Breeder and Trainer forums are the best! They know the breeds well. Youtube vids show a glimpse but don't capture everythin or answer all of the questions you have - but they do make the dogs look cute.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:29 am

Boyfriend got me 2 yorkie puppies for my birthday (about a month ago). Figuring we should have the housebreaking and all that down pat by the time fall rolls around (0L right now). The good thing is that my boyfriend and I live together, so if he has to work late, or if I have to stay late at school, we should always be able to work something out where the dogs won't be alone for 12 hours straight or something.

Ginger1492
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:10 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Ginger1492 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:23 am

I foster dogs for a local animal rescue. That means that I provide a temporary home for the dogs that can't stay in the shelter because they have health problems, behavioral issues or are too young (i.e. the difficult and time consuming ones). I have done this during undergrad and found it do-able and very rewarding. However, I am fortunate to live in a pet friendly house with a big backyard and low rent. I am actually delaying law school a year so that I can re-take the LSAT and re-apply to my dream law school (which happens to be local) so that I can stay where I am. It is in the best interest of both me and my furry friends. I own two cats and plan to add a permanent dog to the pack soon (currently only fosters).

Having a dog during law school could be a very good idea if it is planned out well (granted I haven't done it yet but plan to). A dog forces you to have stability because they need you to come home rather than live in the library and maintain a regular schedule (including exercise!) They are so happy to see you that the stress of your day melts away. This is an invaluable resource of much needed encouragement. They love you even if you bombed your exam.

However, you should remember that a dog is another living being and it will probably live for at least 10-12 years. Think about food, supplies, and vet expenses added on to your student loans. Also, think about what you what to be doing after law school. BigLaw at 60+ hour a week? Living in a big city? Maybe, maybe not a good idea with a dog. My point is that it really depends on the person and their commitment to the animal. Every city and every profession contains animal owners. You can make it work if you are committed to making it work and willing to make sacrifices.

As a final note, do not get a puppy during when you know you will be busy (i.e. first year of law school). Puppies are just like babies. To raise them properly you practically have to take maternity leave from life. If you want a puppy, get it when you have some free time. Also, know potty training is a pain but the real torture starts when they are teething (6-12 months). Hide everything you cherish. I recommend adopting an older dog (over 1 year). It will be less work and a good deed at the same time because older dogs have a harder time finding homes.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the issue.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby 20160810 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:34 pm

I have a dog in law school. She is awesome and super cute, and taking care of her really hasn't cut noticeably into my schedule at all. However, Davis, CA and NYC are two very different places, so I'm not sure if my experience is comparable.

Image

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:59 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I have a dog in law school. She is awesome and super cute, and taking care of her really hasn't cut noticeably into my schedule at all. However, Davis, CA and NYC are two very different places, so I'm not sure if my experience is comparable.

Image


Cute dog, SBL! What kind?

NYU2011
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:31 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby NYU2011 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:03 pm

I got a dog this year (2L) and while it is stressful at times, it's totally worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My dog was an older rescue who came housebroken and crate trained, so that helped a lot. Even with a relatively light semester last fall, I wouldnt' have been able to deal with a puppy, and I wouldn't have been able to handle even this dog 1L year although I'm sure it's different if you've had the dog awhile before school.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby 20160810 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:I have a dog in law school. She is awesome and super cute, and taking care of her really hasn't cut noticeably into my schedule at all. However, Davis, CA and NYC are two very different places, so I'm not sure if my experience is comparable.

Image


Cute dog, SBL! What kind?


Queensland Heeler mix.

User avatar
v. dentata
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby v. dentata » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 pm

jcfcporto wrote:
cantaboot wrote:It'll be quite a bit of a burden ...
There is a 3L at my school who goes everywhere with her dog, even attends classes with the dog ... I think otherwise she would not find enough time to walk the dog.

be prepared to bring your dog to school ...


Seriously, is this allowed? My wife would love it if she could take our shih tzu to class with her, but she assumed it's totally off limits.



A rule I live by as of late: ALWAYS ask, you'd be surprised what you get out of it.

And to the poster: thanks for posting this, I am wondering the same thing, and it's good to see that other people have the same concerns!

That's all I can contribute to this thread.

User avatar
Dostoevsky
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Dostoevsky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Aw, I have two dogs (OK, they are 4 pound chihuahuas) who have both been to class (UG, separately). I got the first one when I was going through some difficulty, and then the second one to keep the first one company. I can't imagine not having them.
They don't make any noise though, and usually professors want to pet them.

User avatar
v. dentata
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby v. dentata » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:45 pm

awaiting wrote:
paratactical wrote:
You should also make sure that you look into what the laws w/r/t housing animals in the area say. Plus, do some good research on how hard it is to get apartments that allow dogs. I think lots of people don't realize how much having an animal as a renter can limit your options. When I worked with animal shelter groups, the number one reason pets would get dumped is because people found an amazing apartment they would rather take than keeping the commitment they made to the animal when they took it into their homes.

Another thing to think about: some places that do renter's insurance (like State Farm) will add on pet insurance for an additional smaller fee. This insurance protects you from the unlikely event that your animal would ever harm another person and can also reduce costs at some veterinary clinics.

Also, when you talk about leaving your dog alone over Thanksgiving/Christmas, you're making a big mistake. Unless you're thinking about leaving Christmas Eve morning and coming back late on Christmas day. It's really not fair to leave a dog alone for that long. You either need to have someone in the area who can spend time with the dog in addition to dog walkers or you need to foot the bill for boarding.


I am looking into the apartment issue first. I'm not even going to bug any shelters before I get that sorted. That's pretty awful of people to dump a dog just for new apartment.


I totally agree. I am always confused when I hear about a dog that was dumped at a shelter because "their family was moving and couldn't have the dog in the new place." I always thought, "Well, why the fuck would they get a place where they couldn't take one of their family members?" Not wanting to be egocentric, however, I conceded that maybe there were just some situations that I hadn't experienced where there was no way to find another place nearby within a budget that would accept dogs. But now that I think about it, that doesn't make any sense either, because a dog is like a child. At the very least, these people should just sack/ovary it up and say, "I just don't want this dog anymore, because I put more value on possessions than living beings, and, yes, I am a complete asshole with nothing to offer to society and the common good."

Even after earning a B.A. in Sociology, I am completely baffled as to how some people can be such ignorant and self-centered dickholes. But I digress, on with the posting!
Last edited by v. dentata on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 am

I'm thinking about getting a lab in the next month and then spending the summer training it before law school.

Terrible idea, but doable.

User avatar
Dostoevsky
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 am

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

best dogs *ever*

User avatar
v. dentata
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby v. dentata » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:16 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:I'm thinking about getting a lab in the next month and then spending the summer training it before law school.

Terrible idea, but doable.


http://www.dogbreedinfo.com is a great site that has dog training info. I stumbled upon it 2.5 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to train my roommate's dog not to jump on me. It helped me to understand how a dog communicates and how to get along with my roommate's Lab mix - and now that I have a better understanding, she (the dog) and I are super best friends forever xoxoxo, I absolutely love dogs, and I plan to get my own soon. But definitely also check out/supplement with Cesar Milan and other stuff - maybe start watching "It's Me Or the Dog" on Animal Planet regularly, you know, to "set the mood."
Last edited by v. dentata on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 am

Dostoevsky wrote:Aw, I have two dogs (OK, they are 4 pound chihuahuas) who have both been to class (UG, separately). I got the first one when I was going through some difficulty, and then the second one to keep the first one company. I can't imagine not having them.
They don't make any noise though, and usually professors want to pet them.


If I brought my dog Rocky to class, he'd be the well-behaved boy. Bruiser? He'd run around trying to eat everyone's computer cords. I think he's on a suicide mission or something...

User avatar
Dostoevsky
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 am

Nietzsche and Dostoevsky are only good one at a time. Probably like their namesakes.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:28 am

v. dentata wrote:
awaiting wrote:
paratactical wrote:
You should also make sure that you look into what the laws w/r/t housing animals in the area say. Plus, do some good research on how hard it is to get apartments that allow dogs. I think lots of people don't realize how much having an animal as a renter can limit your options. When I worked with animal shelter groups, the number one reason pets would get dumped is because people found an amazing apartment they would rather take than keeping the commitment they made to the animal when they took it into their homes.

Another thing to think about: some places that do renter's insurance (like State Farm) will add on pet insurance for an additional smaller fee. This insurance protects you from the unlikely event that your animal would ever harm another person and can also reduce costs at some veterinary clinics.

Also, when you talk about leaving your dog alone over Thanksgiving/Christmas, you're making a big mistake. Unless you're thinking about leaving Christmas Eve morning and coming back late on Christmas day. It's really not fair to leave a dog alone for that long. You either need to have someone in the area who can spend time with the dog in addition to dog walkers or you need to foot the bill for boarding.


I am looking into the apartment issue first. I'm not even going to bug any shelters before I get that sorted. That's pretty awful of people to dump a dog just for new apartment.


I totally agree. I am always confused when I hear about a dog that was dumped at a shelter because "their family was moving and couldn't have the dog in the new place." I always thought, "Well, why the fuck would they get a place where they couldn't take one of their family members?" Not wanting to be egocentric, however, I conceded that maybe there were just some situations that I hadn't experienced where there was no way to find another place nearby within a budget that would accept dogs. But now that I think about it, that doesn't make any sense either, because a dog is like a child. At the very least, these people should just sack/ovary it up and say, "I just don't want this dog anymore, because I put more value on possessions than living beings, and, yes, I am a complete asshole with nothing to offer to society and the common good."

Even after earning a B.A. in Sociology, I am completely baffled as to how some people can be such ignorant and self-centered dickholes. But I digress, on with the posting!


Completely agree. Looking for a new apartment in the city (live in the burbs right now, but wanna move before fall to be closer to campus) and if they won't take my dogs, I won't take the landlord. They can keep their apartment.

User avatar
v. dentata
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby v. dentata » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:29 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Dostoevsky wrote:Aw, I have two dogs (OK, they are 4 pound chihuahuas) who have both been to class (UG, separately). I got the first one when I was going through some difficulty, and then the second one to keep the first one company. I can't imagine not having them.
They don't make any noise though, and usually professors want to pet them.


If I brought my dog Rocky to class, he'd be the well-behaved boy. Bruiser? He'd run around trying to eat everyone's computer cords. I think he's on a suicide mission or something...


This is a problem that won't be solved until tech companies stop making computer cords so damn delicious, like long, black Slim Jims.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Having a dog in law school

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 am

v. dentata wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
Dostoevsky wrote:Aw, I have two dogs (OK, they are 4 pound chihuahuas) who have both been to class (UG, separately). I got the first one when I was going through some difficulty, and then the second one to keep the first one company. I can't imagine not having them.
They don't make any noise though, and usually professors want to pet them.


If I brought my dog Rocky to class, he'd be the well-behaved boy. Bruiser? He'd run around trying to eat everyone's computer cords. I think he's on a suicide mission or something...


This is a problem that won't be solved until tech companies stop making computer cords so damn delicious.


I know! It's driving me bonkers...my condo is like a damn obstacle course trying to keep the cords up off the floor.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beercules, LandMermaid and 12 guests