Having a dog in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jones, Dow

Bronze

Re: Having a dog in law school

Post by Jones, Dow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:02 pm

awaiting wrote:Hmmm. This all really hits close to home. I was hoping to get a small dog during my 1L year. I was thinking that I would train the doggie to use wee-wee pads, just so he's not holding his bladder for 8 hours. I would still take him for walks, but that would be playtime for him and some time to chill out for me. I'll definitely spend more time studying at home (rather than at the library) because I know he's there. I know I'll make him a priority and think that having a pet will be an important part of my work-life balance.

I was planning to contact shelters for a dog that's low-key and doesn't need too much grooming expense (unlike a poodle). I think this will probably be an older dog, which is fine, so long is it's small-sized dog. I also found a dogcare service in the area I plan to be in that does $12 15-minute home visits, so I figured that I could use that together with an automatic dog feeder for when I go away for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I looked into boarding, but it's $50 a day and I don't know how a dog would feel about the sudden change in environment. I would love to take the dog with me, but cabin air travel for the small dog is $100 each way and Amtrak doesn't allow pets. This is all assuming I don't just have friendly neighbors or something.

So, is this really a bad idea? How much time would a dog require daily?
Sorry if this sounds rude, it's not intended to be, but this is a terrible idea. IMO, you're looking at it from a selfish perspective rather than what the best thing for the dog would be.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Last edited by youpiiz on Tue May 05, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm

bump bump bump?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:
awaiting wrote:Hmmm. This all really hits close to home. I was hoping to get a small dog during my 1L year. I was thinking that I would train the doggie to use wee-wee pads, just so he's not holding his bladder for 8 hours. I would still take him for walks, but that would be playtime for him and some time to chill out for me. I'll definitely spend more time studying at home (rather than at the library) because I know he's there. I know I'll make him a priority and think that having a pet will be an important part of my work-life balance.

I was planning to contact shelters for a dog that's low-key and doesn't need too much grooming expense (unlike a poodle). I think this will probably be an older dog, which is fine, so long is it's small-sized dog. I also found a dogcare service in the area I plan to be in that does $12 15-minute home visits, so I figured that I could use that together with an automatic dog feeder for when I go away for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I looked into boarding, but it's $50 a day and I don't know how a dog would feel about the sudden change in environment. I would love to take the dog with me, but cabin air travel for the small dog is $100 each way and Amtrak doesn't allow pets. This is all assuming I don't just have friendly neighbors or something.

Sorry if this sounds rude, it's not intended to be, but this is a terrible idea. IMO, you're looking at it from a selfish perspective rather than what the best thing for the dog would be.
Sorry, didn't see this post before the bump. I do agree that my perspective is somewhat selfish, but isn't having a loving owner better for the dog than it being in a shelter or being euthanized?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 pm

youpiiz wrote:toy poodles require no grooming and they shed less than most dogs!
Do you think these would be found in shelter though? Maybe I'm just not a poodle kine of person :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:14 pm

awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote:I am taking my dog to law school with me, but she is house-trained and already used to me being at work for the duration of the day. She just naps most of the time while I'm gone (in fact, she naps for the same time period on the weekends when I'm home with her). My plan is to spend the "normal workday" on campus and then be home with her at nights. I think it's all about finding a balance, and bringing home what work you can. Mostly she's happy as long as I'm with her.

A lot of law students take time to go for a run or workout for an hour in the afternoons; I plan to go for a long walk with the pup during my study breaks. It's just a matter of making your pup a priority for the hours in the day when law school isn't. (That said: I think having a puppy to train at this time would be incredibly difficult, and in my experience, it took 8 or 9 months before she was really ready to be home by herself for the entirety of a work day).

I think I would be less human without her. Law school is stressful, and nothing helps melt your stress away like having a pup meet you at the door, excited to see you. It's just important to have a dog who isn't too high-energy (mine runs around like crazy when she gets the chance, but she's very chill when we're just hanging out in the apartment).
What breed is your dog?
She's a dachshund/terrier mix. I agree that if you're going to get a dog, it should be an older one. Training and being left alone would be too hard on a puppy.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Last edited by youpiiz on Tue May 05, 2009 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 pm

awaiting wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:

Sorry, didn't see this post before the bump. I do agree that my perspective is somewhat selfish, but isn't having a loving owner better for the dog than it being in a shelter or being euthanized?
As long as you really are going to make the dog a priority, I do think it's best. My dog was a shelter dog, and I confidently think both our lives are happier because the other is in it.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 pm

alethe16 wrote:As long as you really are going to make the dog a priority, I do think it's best. My dog was a shelter dog, and I confidently think both our lives are happier because the other is in it.
Thanks for the input, alethe16! I'm trying to do as much research as I can right now to make sure I can give a good home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:29 pm

awaiting - for some reason I thought you were talking about getting a puppy. I think if you are going to rescue an otherwise unadoptable dog that's one thing, but still, you really need to think hard about it before you get a dog. SOme people may disagree, but I usually tell people thinking about getting a dog to read Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan. It's an interesting book, and it will help you realize how demanding it can be to help a dog have a fulfilled life.

I think that leaving it alone while you are out of town is a really bad idea, and I think that most dog owners/trainers/etc. would agree with this. This is part of the analysis that you need to think about when you are considering a dog. If you can't afford the necessary costs that will come up and will cut corners where the quality of the dog's life is concerned, it might not be a good idea. Just something to think about.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Unless it was a mature, mellow dog, I would NOT recommend it.
Young dogs/puppies are a tremendous amount of work and commitment....and you've already signed up for a huge amount of work and commitment...

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:awaiting - for some reason I thought you were talking about getting a puppy. I think if you are going to rescue an otherwise unadoptable dog that's one thing, but still, you really need to think hard about it before you get a dog. SOme people may disagree, but I usually tell people thinking about getting a dog to read Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan. It's an interesting book, and it will help you realize how demanding it can be to help a dog have a fulfilled life.

I think that leaving it alone while you are out of town is a really bad idea, and I think that most dog owners/trainers/etc. would agree with this. This is part of the analysis that you need to think about when you are considering a dog. If you can't afford the necessary costs that will come up and will cut corners where the quality of the dog's life is concerned, it might not be a good idea. Just something to think about.
I'll definitely check out that book, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 pm

paratactical wrote:
awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote:As long as you really are going to make the dog a priority, I do think it's best. My dog was a shelter dog, and I confidently think both our lives are happier because the other is in it.
Thanks for the input, alethe16! I'm trying to do as much research as I can right now to make sure I can give a good home.
You should also make sure that you look into what the laws w/r/t housing animals in the area say. Plus, do some good research on how hard it is to get apartments that allow dogs. I think lots of people don't realize how much having an animal as a renter can limit your options. When I worked with animal shelter groups, the number one reason pets would get dumped is because people found an amazing apartment they would rather take than keeping the commitment they made to the animal when they took it into their homes.

Another thing to think about: some places that do renter's insurance (like State Farm) will add on pet insurance for an additional smaller fee. This insurance protects you from the unlikely event that your animal would ever harm another person and can also reduce costs at some veterinary clinics.

Also, when you talk about leaving your dog alone over Thanksgiving/Christmas, you're making a big mistake. Unless you're thinking about leaving Christmas Eve morning and coming back late on Christmas day. It's really not fair to leave a dog alone for that long. You either need to have someone in the area who can spend time with the dog in addition to dog walkers or you need to foot the bill for boarding.
These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Also, I never leave my dog with strangers, much less alone. I rarely go out of town, and when I do she has always stayed with friends of mine that have others dogs, who she knows, and never for more than a long weekend. That way, it's like a fun getaway for her, too. I took her home with me for Christmas, since it was going to be over a week away from home.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 pm

paratactical wrote:
You should also make sure that you look into what the laws w/r/t housing animals in the area say. Plus, do some good research on how hard it is to get apartments that allow dogs. I think lots of people don't realize how much having an animal as a renter can limit your options. When I worked with animal shelter groups, the number one reason pets would get dumped is because people found an amazing apartment they would rather take than keeping the commitment they made to the animal when they took it into their homes.

Another thing to think about: some places that do renter's insurance (like State Farm) will add on pet insurance for an additional smaller fee. This insurance protects you from the unlikely event that your animal would ever harm another person and can also reduce costs at some veterinary clinics.

Also, when you talk about leaving your dog alone over Thanksgiving/Christmas, you're making a big mistake. Unless you're thinking about leaving Christmas Eve morning and coming back late on Christmas day. It's really not fair to leave a dog alone for that long. You either need to have someone in the area who can spend time with the dog in addition to dog walkers or you need to foot the bill for boarding.
I am looking into the apartment issue first. I'm not even going to bug any shelters before I get that sorted. That's pretty awful of people to dump a dog just for new apartment.

I really appreciate the advice about holidays. I had a cat growing up, and it would be fine for a few days as long as we left it with ample food and water. I'm still trying to work out how different a small dog's needs would be. I'll try to work something out with a pett sitter then. I just think that going in and out a kennel would be too jarring for a small dog. Maybe I'm basing that on my experience with cats and how attached they are to their enviroments too?

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 pm

paratactical wrote:
alethe16 wrote:
These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Also, I never leave my dog with strangers, much less alone. I rarely go out of town, and when I do she has always stayed with friends of mine that have others dogs, who she knows, and never for more than a long weekend. That way, it's like a fun getaway for her, too. I took her home with me for Christmas, since it was going to be over a week away from home.
It's great that you take sure good care of her! My comments were directed more toward awaiting, who mentioned leaving the dog alone during Christmas and Thanksgiving. Sorry if that wasn't more clear!
Yeah, I was really just confirming what you said to awaiting. Making your dog a priority is definitely something you can do, even while working and going to school, but it can make certain things more difficult. I hope this gives a clear picture. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Smaller dogs are cheaper to feed, but they usually have a lot of energy. Professional lawyers/law students won't have time for higher energy dogs, so research the breeds carefully. Research how to select a dog with a "good" temperament; avoid the overly shy dogs or the overly hyper dogs if you adopt a rescue dog. A dog that can't control itself/can't be obedient is a liability. Cute is a necessary factor, but not a sufficient one for getting a dog. "Low maintenance" dogs will still require a lot of work.

As far as apartments that do allow pets, I've seen weight restrictions where the owners clearly don't mind tenants with pets as long as they are of a smaller variety. There should be weight restrictions for bringing dogs onto a plane as well.

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

awaiting wrote:
paratactical wrote:

I am looking into the apartment issue first. I'm not even going to bug any shelters before I get that sorted. That's pretty awful of people to dump a dog just for new apartment.

I really appreciate the advice about holidays. I had a cat growing up, and it would be fine for a few days as long as we left it with ample food and water. I'm still trying to work out how different a small dog's needs would be. I'll try to work something out with a pett sitter then. I just think that going in and out a kennel would be too jarring for a small dog. Maybe I'm basing that on my experience with cats and how attached they are to their enviroments too?
Personally, I find dogs to be more flexible than cats, but I'm sure it depends on the animal. My pup is fine as long as she is with people she knows (and loves -- which doesn't take much, since she loves everyone). I'm personally not a fan of shelters, but having a dog sitter would probably work, as would having the dog stay with a friend or neighbor that will take good care of her.

Dogs need human interaction in a way that cats do not, which is why leaving it alone overnight is not a good idea, unless you have someone come in to check on her and play with her each day.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:54 pm

alethe16 wrote: These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Do you ever have an trouble with travel? That seems to be the trickiest part for me, since I'm looking at a 13 hour drive or $200 extra airfare. I would love to take her/him with me, but neither of those two options are particularly appealing for either of us.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Rsrcht wrote:Smaller dogs are cheaper to feed, but they usually have a lot of energy. Professional lawyers/law students won't have time for higher energy dogs, so research the breeds carefully. Research how to select a dog with a "good" temperament; avoid the overly shy dogs or the overly hyper dogs if you adopt a rescue dog. A dog that can't control itself/can't be obedient is a liability. Cute is a necessary factor, but not a sufficient one for getting a dog. "Low maintenance" dogs will still require a lot of work.

As far as apartments that do allow pets, I've seen weight restrictions where the owners clearly don't mind tenants with pets as long as they are of a smaller variety. There should be weight restrictions for bringing dogs onto a plane as well.
Thanks for the advice, Rsrcht! I definitely do need a dog that's happy to vege out while I'm studying. Animal Planet has a decent breed selector is anyone else is considering this too: http://animal.discovery.com/breedselect ... elector.do

I've noticed that so long as apartments don't have wall-to-wall carpeting, small dogs are usually allowed. Less to mess up, I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesouthside

New

Post by thesouthside » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:58 pm

I have a dog. His names is James. James is a good dog.

Sit James... Good Boy!

alethe16

New

Post by alethe16 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 pm

awaiting wrote:
alethe16 wrote: These are two excellent points. Housing is definitely harder to find when you have a pet. I've always been really lucky to find a place that has a fenced in backyard, where the pup can run around; fingers crossed this will continue for my next move. When choosing an apartment, it's been less about what I need and more about what she needs.

Do you ever have an trouble with travel? That seems to be the trickiest part for me, since I'm looking at a 13 hour drive or $200 extra airfare. I would love to take her/him with me, but neither of those two options are particularly appealing for either of us.
I've never flown with the dog, for the financial reasons you mentioned. I have driven with the dog, but luckily it's only been a 6 hour drive for me, which we can both handle with schedule breaks to walk. If I'm not driving, she sits still on my lap; if I am, she has to be crated, which she is fine with, so long as she can still see me. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with a 13 hour drive.

I think it would be important for you to find some local friends or neighbors who really like dogs, and might be willing to keep her while you're away (I have an agreement with some friends of mine who have dogs that I watch when they go away). Or, you'll need to find a dog sitter. But if you do this, I would try to keep the trip as short as possible, because dogs miss their people. :)

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm

awaiting wrote:

I drove from Utah to NY with my basset hound and it was actually pretty fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”