Having a dog in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
youngkyun739

New

Having a dog in law school

Post by youngkyun739 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey I'm just about to start at Cardozo for May. I'm moving from LA to NYC and I will most likely live on my own in a studio. I've always wanted a dog, and I was thinking since I'll be by myself in NYC, why not get a dog. So I have a question for you dog owners, would it be a good idea to get a dog in my 1L, or law school in general? would it pose too much of a burden? and what about having a dog in the city?

Thanks in advance!

cantaboot

Bronze

Re: Having a dog in law school

Post by cantaboot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:26 pm

It'll be quite a bit of a burden ...
There is a 3L at my school who goes everywhere with her dog, even attends classes with the dog ... I think otherwise she would not find enough time to walk the dog.

be prepared to bring your dog to school ...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 pm

Cat?

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't think that will be a good thing. I had a dog my freshmen year of college and I was almost never home to take care of it, so I have to give him to my parents. I can only imagine that law school will even consume more of your time.

The cat is a good idea, I'm going to be getting a cat as well :mrgreen:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:30 pm

2nd the cat suggestion.

The cat in my avatar, Cosette, will be coming with me wherever I go!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcfcporto

New

Post by jcfcporto » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:33 pm

cantaboot wrote:It'll be quite a bit of a burden ...
There is a 3L at my school who goes everywhere with her dog, even attends classes with the dog ... I think otherwise she would not find enough time to walk the dog.

Seriously, is this allowed? My wife would love it if she could take our shih tzu to class with her, but she assumed it's totally off limits.

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:45 pm

jcfcporto wrote:
cantaboot wrote:It'll be quite a bit of a burden ...

Seriously, is this allowed? My wife would love it if she could take our shih tzu to class with her, but she assumed it's totally off limits.
I have seem people bring dogs to school before in undergrad classes, i just assume it depends on the prof

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:47 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:2nd the cat suggestion.

I actually have never liked cats, but I love having a pet, so I'm trying to learn to love cats to see if I might want one.

I just know I wouldn't have the time to give the dog the attention it needs.

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

I actually have never liked cats, but I love having a pet, so I'm trying to learn to love cats to see if I might want one.

What about fish or snake :mrgreen: (I hate both)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Paste_Me wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

What about fish or snake :mrgreen: (I hate both)
Gew.

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 pm

If you have a roommate i imagine you can share a dog...?

Why is wrong with cats? They are awesome and super cute!

himalayan cats are the best!

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:54 pm

What about a small (aka low maintence) dog? I'm a 0L who is adopting a little dog in a few weeks. I will be able to spend the summer training/adjusting him, and my fiance will be able to go home at lunch for a while...although he can't do this long term. Is this a bad idea? I've heard little dogs can use "wee wee pads" if they are home alone from 9-4ish...but is this a bad idea? Would he be unhappy? The way our schedules will overlap he'll only be alone 9-4. Also, I would totally get a cat, but my fiance is allergic :(

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 pm

I go to BC. I've seen more than 1 student bringing puppy to school. This girl brings her puppy to every crim pro class ... the puppy is well-behaved.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Paste_Me wrote:If you have a roommate i imagine you can share a dog...?

Why is wrong with cats? They are awesome and super cute!

himalayan cats are the best!
Yes! I had the best himalayan! They really are great cats...unfortunately my fiance has allergies, so a himalayan *might* actually kill him. But +1, they are very cute/friendly!

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm

cantaboot wrote:I go to BC. I've seen more than 1 student bringing puppy to school. This girl brings her puppy to every crim pro class ... the puppy is well-behaved.
Seriously? Isn't that kinda inappropriate/distracting?

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 pm

ha. but the puppy is so well-behaved that no one is really distracted. she just has a nap next to the 3L every class....

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:00 pm

PubIntLawyer wrote:What about a small (aka low maintence) dog? I'm a 0L who is adopting a little dog in a few weeks. I will be able to spend the summer training/adjusting him, and my fiance will be able to go home at lunch for a while...although he can't do this long term. Is this a bad idea? I've heard little dogs can use "wee wee pads" if they are home alone from 9-4ish...but is this a bad idea? Would he be unhappy? The way our schedules will overlap he'll only be alone 9-4. Also, I would totally get a cat, but my fiance is allergic :(
It depends on what kind of dog, some dogs require more maintenance than other. For example, Yorkie are real small dogs but are always super hyper, so if you had one of those it would go crazy in a confined space for longer than a couple of hours. You would also need it to train it to use the pads. I know they tell you that the dog will pretty much use it but that is not the case, the dog has to be trained to use the pad.

Some bigger dogs are actually better for this such a Golden Retriever, they pretty much take care of them selves.

Oh! Most small dogs I know are pretty hyper. My parents have a Maltese and he never stands still.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Paste_Me wrote:
Boo boo boo.

Paste_Me

New

Post by Paste_Me » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

PubIntLawyer, Time to get rid of the husband :mrgreen:

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:05 pm

Paste_Me wrote:
PubIntLawyer wrote:What about a small (aka low maintence) dog? I'm a 0L who is adopting a little dog in a few weeks. I will be able to spend the summer training/adjusting him, and my fiance will be able to go home at lunch for a while...although he can't do this long term. Is this a bad idea? I've heard little dogs can use "wee wee pads" if they are home alone from 9-4ish...but is this a bad idea? Would he be unhappy? The way our schedules will overlap he'll only be alone 9-4. Also, I would totally get a cat, but my fiance is allergic :(
It depends on what kind of dog, some dogs require more maintenance than other. For example, Yorkie are real small dogs but are always super hyper, so if you had one of those it would go crazy in a confined space for longer than a couple of hours. You would also need it to train it to use the pads. I know they tell you that the dog will pretty much use it but that is not the case, the dog has to be trained to use the pad.

Some bigger dogs are actually better for this such a Golden Retriever, they pretty much take care of them selves.

Oh! Most small dogs I know are pretty hyper. My parents have a Maltese and he never stands still.
Thanks for the info! It's a Shih-Tzu if that makes a difference...I've heard they're fairly "chill" dogs. And, "Paste Me," I've given the fiance the cat ultimatum before :) I really am more of a "cat person"...thus the dog that looks/acts like a cat

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:08 pm

youngkyun739 wrote:Hey I'm just about to start at Cardozo for May. I'm moving from LA to NYC and I will most likely live on my own in a studio. I've always wanted a dog, and I was thinking since I'll be by myself in NYC, why not get a dog. So I have a question for you dog owners, would it be a good idea to get a dog in my 1L, or law school in general? would it pose too much of a burden? and what about having a dog in the city?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not a current student, but I have had dogs my whole life. If you're on your own, with no SO to help you take care of it, I strongly discourage getting a puppy for 1L. Dogs/puppies require much more attention than you'll be able to give it. The time commitment (not to mention $$$ for shots, vet visits, food, etc.) is not fair to you, and being home alone for hours on end is not fair to the dog.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:11 pm

if you're not allergic, a cat might be better. i was never a cat person growing up, but my current gf has a cat who is totally awesome and has majorly grown on me. cats are kind of like wild animals who just enjoy your company--it's not like having a kid who will never grow up (read, "dog").

youngkyun739

New

Post by youngkyun739 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:17 pm

thanks for your replies, it seems that not having a dog would be the best idea for 1L. I wonder, however, how would Welsh Cardigan Corgi would do if I brought it to class?

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:19 pm

--ImageRemoved--

this?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 pm

I have had a dog for the last two years of my undergrad. There are many days I'm gone from 8-5 and I have a small (5 lb) chihuahua. While I hate leaving her for long periods of time she does use wee-wee pads while I'm away. I rescued her so it took me a summer to have her get used to the new home. I always try to run home around lunch time to take her out/play for an hour. Fortunately, her favorite thing to do is sleep on the couch. I always find her sleeping when I come home. She's never ruined anything in my apartment and she doesn't really bark. She's pretty independent, which makes taking care of hear really easy.

All in all, she's made me so much happier in UG and I couldn't imagine not having her. I have thought of taking her to class before but I never have. I don't know if I would want to see/hear the prof's reaction. I don't want to be the Elle Woods of my law school. Anyway, if you have good time management and the dog isn't hyper (no jack russel terriers or yorkies) I think you'll be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”