Former law review editor taking questions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Will you participate in the law review write-on competition?

Total votes: 0

Wes Henricksen

New

Re: Former law review editor taking questions

Post by Wes Henricksen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 am

Wahoo1L wrote:Do people ever get kicked off law review for being awful at cite checking?
I've never heard of this happening and I doubt you have to worry about it. Of course, each law review has its own rules, but I think it would be very unfair to eject a law review member because they were not good at cite checking.

However, members who do not show up for meetings and do not put in any effort whatsoever are fair game for being kicked off. I think those members have more to worry about than others who just are not naturally gifted with the ability to perform tedious tasks such as cite checking.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:13 am

Ipsa Dixit wrote:
Wes Henricksen wrote:For that matter, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone does not come up with a superior citation manual to the Bluebook. I find the Bluebook as a whole extraordinarily non-user-friendly, and the only reason I can think of that they get away with it is the lack of competition.

If only...
i wish the ala would write a model bluebook code
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:23 pm

The poll currently has 88% of participants indicating that they will participate in the write-on competition. Wow. That seems out of proportion to the normal break-down, which is that normally about 50% or 60% of 1Ls enter the competition.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Wes Henricksen wrote:The poll currently has 88% of participants indicating that they will participate in the write-on competition. Wow. That seems out of proportion to the normal break-down, which is that normally about 50% or 60% of 1Ls enter the competition.
TLS = ultra gunner self-select community. See, e.g., numerous posts regarding 0L summer "prep" (describing an activity that few 0Ls overall, and particularly few sane 0Ls actually engage in).
Good point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Wes Henricksen wrote:The poll currently has 88% of participants indicating that they will participate in the write-on competition. Wow. That seems out of proportion to the normal break-down, which is that normally about 50% or 60% of 1Ls enter the competition.
Over 93% of UVA 1Ls picked up a journal tryout packet this year:

http://www.uvalawblog.com/2009/02/all-j ... te-on.html

At least some probably turned their packets in without actually completing a tryout, but participation in the tryout process seems to have been especially high this year.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Garinold

New

Post by Garinold » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Assuming you write on, instead of grade on, what jobs will law review help you get upon graduating?

Fup

Bronze

Post by Fup » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Garinold wrote:Assuming you write on, instead of grade on, what jobs will law review help you get upon graduating?
It helps with all jobs, but especially clerkships and academia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cbreault

New

Post by cbreault » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 pm

We haven't yet become disenchanted with our first semester grades.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:30 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
TLS = ultra gunner self-select community. See, e.g., numerous posts regarding 0L summer "prep" (describing an activity that few 0Ls overall, and particularly few sane 0Ls actually engage in).
Plus, about half those responding are probably 0Ls who wish they could try to write-on this year.

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Would you consider yourself a baller?

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Fup wrote:
Garinold wrote:Assuming you write on, instead of grade on, what jobs will law review help you get upon graduating?
I second that. And that applies no matter what way you got onto law review ('write-on' or 'grade-on'). In short, law review is arguably the most valuable credential you can have on your resume as a law student. Of course, there is no substitute for good grades. But having law review membership really makes a candidate stand out to prospective employers.

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:34 am

Fup wrote:
For state and federal district clerkships, it's a huge plus but not necessary if something else evidences "academic interest in the law" e.g. managing board of a secondary journal or a published note.

For federal appellate clerkships, getting on your school's main law review is a virtual necessity.

Academia is generally only available to those at the tip-top of their respective classes and who held a managing board position on the main law review.

wendy24

New

Post by wendy24 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:56 am

Could you please also talk about the personal statement part? What do people usually write about? Does it have to do with your writing skills?

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:31 pm

wendy24 wrote:Could you please also talk about the personal statement part? What do people usually write about? Does it have to do with your writing skills?
The personal statement is part of the write-on competition at some law schools. And sometimes it only applies to specific journals (at my law school, for example, one of the specialty journals required a personal statement while the law review and other specialty journals did not).

Here's the most important things to keep in mind when writing the personal statement:

1) Follow the directions to a T;
2) Write well -- you want to put your skills on display here; and
3) Portray yourself as interesting and likeable (regardless of whether you are actually interesting or likeable).

Your personal statement should not bore the law review competition graders. As with the casenote, you should finish writing the personal statement early, and go back and review it 2 or 3 times in order to make sure it is as good as it can be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 am

Also, for personal statements geared toward a specialty journal, make sure to mention any experience or background you have that connects you with the subject of the specialty journal. For example, a personal statement for the Texas Journal of International Law (I don't know if this actually exists) should include foreign countries you've visited/studied in/lived in, as well as any foreign language skills you possess and any other experience showing you are interested in global issues (e.g., you're very interested in international affairs and you read daily the World section of the NY Times).

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:26 am

Any other questions?

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 am

No.

Go away.

blondie

New

Post by blondie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 am

CE2JD wrote:No.

Go away.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why some people on TLS feel they have any right to be rude to working professionals who take time out of their schedules to offer us help and advice. :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 am

blondie wrote:

Go away.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why some people on TLS feel they have any right to be rude to working professionals who take time out of their schedules to offer us help and advice. :shock:
You're right that was rude of me. I should help him try to sell his book for answering questions.

Prodigy

New

Post by Prodigy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 am

CE2JD wrote:
blondie wrote:

Go away.
You're right that was rude of me. I should help him try to sell his book for answering questions.
Who cares if he benefits from answering questions - curious posters are still benefiting all the same as if he didn't have a book. As long as his motifs don't take away the validity of his answers, it really shouldn't matter.

Christ.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 pm

Prodigy wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
blondie wrote:

Go away.
Who cares if he benefits from answering questions - curious posters are still benefiting all the same as if he didn't have a book. As long as his motifs don't take away the validity of his answers, it really shouldn't matter.

Christ.
WTF, I already apologized once. You want me to do it again??

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:07 pm

what's the best 0L material to improve writing skills?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”