Former law review editor taking questions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Will you participate in the law review write-on competition?

Total votes: 0

Snooker

Bronze

Re: Former law review editor taking questions

Post by Snooker » Fri May 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Terrified of writing but want to be a lawyer? I don't get it. Why be a lawyer if you dislike what they spend a lot of time doing?

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Snooker wrote:Terrified of writing but want to be a lawyer? I don't get it. Why be a lawyer if you dislike what they spend a lot of time doing?
It seems normal to me. Imagine if everyone afraid of speaking in public avoided law school, even though practicing law oftentimes involves speaking in front of people? No one would go to law school! Interestingly, a large portion of law students do not end up practicing law. And some lawyers don't write all that much. That's my two cents.

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Fri May 22, 2009 3:11 pm

conch republic wrote:I made a major mistake on my write-on. After already turning it in, I realized that the instructions called for putting a tab after every footnote, but I just left it with the one-space that Word defaults to. How much is that going to count off for me? I think that other than that gaf, I have a somewhat-decent submission.
Oftentimes, the instructions or competition information packet states how the submission papers are graded (e.g., how much weight is given to formatting mistakes). Regardless, mistakes of that nature will likely mean your paper will not be in the top 1% of submissions (because those papers are normally flawless, at least with regard to spelling, formatting, etc.) But if you wrote a good submission paper, you should nonetheless receive a very good score. I suggest you just put it out of your mind and forget about it until the results come in. Enjoy the summer and your summer job.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat May 23, 2009 12:38 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Mon May 25, 2009 8:36 am

http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/library/m ... 34Memo.pdf
one of our school's winning entries from last year :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wes Henricksen

New

Post by Wes Henricksen » Tue May 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for the contribution, cantaboot. That sample successful submission paper should be very helpful to present and future law review applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”