Sustaining a Relationship while in law school... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
como

Silver

Re: Sustaining a Relationship while in law school...

Post by como » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 am

The fact that he doesn't call you every day doesn't mean that he's cheating or that he doesn't care. If he used to and now he doesn't, that's one thing; if he's the type of guy who doesn't require constant reaffirmation of your relationship, then he's doing just fine. I don't mean this to sound offensive, but I think it's a good thing, generally, when people don't feel compelled to talk every day. That comes off as a bit clingy or high-maintenance to me, but again, everyone is different. I'm just trying to chime in with a particular male's perspective.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 am

I'll drown my beliefs
To let you be in peace
I'll dress like your niece
And wash your swollen feet
Just don't leave, don't leave

I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Your tiny hands
Your crazy kitten smile

And true love waits
In haunted attics
And true love lives
On lollipops and crisps

ezpar

New

Post by ezpar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:41 am

great song

All I know is that sustaining a relationship in law school is going to be difficult.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engender

New

Post by Engender » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 am

ok2bedifferent wrote:Actually, I have a lot of time to talk... between drives, etc. And I don't feel like my schedule is THAT busy that I don't have 5 mins. to talk with him, that's if he calls me that is. He's like "call me if you want" and I'm like, of course I want to, but then it makes it seem like I'm the only one working in the relationship and that he's just well, careless. That's what bothers me. I am coming to a point where I feel like I have to choose school or him (and with tuition increasing AGAIN, I feel like the latter is a more attractive option). I can't spend time with him AND go to school at the same time. I think he's fairly understanding and gives me the time and space I need to study... but I feel the need to be needed if that makes any sense? girls help me out! LOL. I think it comes down to him wanting to talk to me and seeing how I'm doing rather than just blatantly drop off the face of the earth unless I call him, you know?
Practically, moving in together would solve a lot of the "make time for me" issues. I had a long distance relationship with my current GF which ended with neither of us being happy. When she was ready (after finishing her undergrad), she moved up to be with me and it eliminated the need for the "You were supposed to call me." "I know, I'm calling you." "No, you were supposed to call me at 8." "Well, I'm calling you now!" conversations.

Living together, you get a lot of the emotional support you need just being around each other, making dinner, before bed, etc. Both my GF and I are incredibly busy and I am certain that if we did not live together our relationship would be suffering.

Sounds like you two are at a cross roads: time to shack up or break up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 am

This reminds me of a book I'd like to write one day...I'm going to title it "Woman, What The Hell?"...
If you do, please include this story:

I had a friend go crazy once because her bf didn't call her after his last final. Some four hours later she was going absolutely nuts and saying things like she was ready to break up with him (for context, this was last semester of senior year). A couple of us were going out to dinner and on the way out of the dorm, we run into her bf who is getting ready to go out with his friend and she literally flipped out--it started with "Why didn't you call me?!?!"

And it ended with "I did, your phone was off, what did you want me to do?"

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:57 am

Lxw wrote:
This reminds me of a book I'd like to write one day...I'm going to title it "Woman, What The Hell?"...
If you do, please include this story:

I had a friend go crazy once because her bf didn't call her after his last final. Some four hours later she was going absolutely nuts and saying things like she was ready to break up with him (for context, this was last semester of senior year). A couple of us were going out to dinner and on the way out of the dorm, we run into her bf who is getting ready to go out with his friend and she literally flipped out--it started with "Why didn't you call me?!?!"

And it ended with "I did, your phone was off, what did you want me to do?"
Sounds familiar to me...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 am

como wrote:Sounds familiar to me...
Well, a woman is a woman is a woman.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am

paratactical wrote:
Lxw wrote:
ARGH. I hate that stupid girls doing that crap (and yes, people that insecure and crazy are not women, they're girls) ruin it for the few of us that are relatively sane and not neurotically demanding of our SOs.
In all fairness, I've seen some pretty pathetic guys do the same. It's usually more indicative of immaturity than any sex organs.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am

Just to clarify, I'm not saying he's for sure cheating on you or doesn't care. Only he (and maybe you) know the truth on that front. But it doesn't sound too good from what you've described.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 am

paratactical wrote:
Lxw wrote:
ARGH. I hate that stupid girls doing that crap (and yes, people that insecure and crazy are not women, they're girls) ruin it for the few of us that are relatively sane and not neurotically demanding of our SOs.
Ahhh paratactical...you give us hope :P

And Lxw...that's a funny story. But what's not funny is it's not unbelievable at all...it's almost expected to a certain extent...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:17 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Sun May 03, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:19 am

como wrote:
In all fairness, I've seen some pretty pathetic guys do the same. It's usually more indicative of immaturity than any sex organs.
Yea I don't want to come off as some bitter woman-hater. I do love me some women hehe... And I've seen plenty of guys smother and control and flip out like little biatches too. So I agree como, definitely immaturity is to blame.

So are we saying OP needs to grow up some and get a grip on life and quit sweating the small stuff??

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 am

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 am

I think OP may be somewhat confused... as far as i know there are no law schools in the U.S. which admit students directly from 8th grade...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

como

Silver

Post by como » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:26 am

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 am

neskerdoo wrote:I think OP may be somewhat confused... as far as i know there are no law schools in the U.S. which admit students directly from 8th grade...
haha...good one...

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 am

He's cheating on you with someone much hotter and less needy.

The only thing you can do now is move on and get rich to make him see what he missed.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:32 am

blbs wrote:
ok2bedifferent wrote:Actually, I have a lot of time to talk... between drives, etc. And I don't feel like my schedule is THAT busy that I don't have 5 mins. to talk with him, that's if he calls me that is. He's like "call me if you want" and I'm like, of course I want to, but then it makes it seem like I'm the only one working in the relationship and that he's just well, careless. That's what bothers me. I am coming to a point where I feel like I have to choose school or him (and with tuition increasing AGAIN, I feel like the latter is a more attractive option). I can't spend time with him AND go to school at the same time. I think he's fairly understanding and gives me the time and space I need to study... but I feel the need to be needed if that makes any sense? girls help me out! LOL. I think it comes down to him wanting to talk to me and seeing how I'm doing rather than just blatantly drop off the face of the earth unless I call him, you know?
Ouch. You haven't had sense to dump him yet? This seems like a nightmare to juggle with law school.
If he doesn't care enough about you to call you once a day now, he won't do it when you drop off school!

If you drop off, all you will have is a careless bf and no degree.

I wouldn't leave my career behind for a guy who doesn't seem to be investing much in the relationship. Maybe you guys don't need to talk everyday, but if when you do, he doesn't seem to give a crap, then maybe he is not the guy for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 am

rbgrocio wrote:
blbs wrote:
Ouch. You haven't had sense to dump him yet? This seems like a nightmare to juggle with law school.
If he doesn't care enough about you to call you once a day now, he won't do it when you drop off school!
Good point and that could very well be the case, that he doesn't care that much. This might lead into this scenario:

OP quits school to concentrate on the relationship. Every little time OP gets annoyed that her bf still doesn't call she throws the fact that she quit F'n law school for him in his face. He gets tired of that happening and the pressure and the guilt, he leaves. OP has no bf...no law degree... Yea?

the rural juror

New

Post by the rural juror » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 am

pany1985 wrote:
ok2bedifferent wrote:He's really the laid-back, relaxed, don't care-type.. and I'm the type who needs to talk at least every night

Is this a description of pretty much every boyfriend and girlfriend, or is it just me?

haha definitely

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 am

TonyDigital wrote:Good point and that could very well be the case, that he doesn't care that much. This might lead into this scenario:

OP quits school to concentrate on the relationship. Every little time OP gets annoyed that her bf still doesn't call she throws the fact that she quit F'n law school for him in his face. He gets tired of that happening and the pressure and the guilt, he leaves. OP has no bf...no law degree... Yea?
I don't think there's any 'might' about it. It's inevitable.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 am

Practically, moving in together would be a bat-shit insane move. I had a long distance relationship with my current GF which ended with neither of us being happy. When she was ready (after finishing her undergrad), she moved up to be with me and it eliminated the need for the "You were supposed to call me." "I know, I'm calling you." "No, you were supposed to call me at 8." "Well, I'm calling you now!" conversations.
fixed. the relationship described is not one at the move-in stage.

as to the second part: two bullets, in case I screw it up the first time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”