PKSebben's Transferring FAQ Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
XxSpyKEx

Gold

Re: PKSebben's Transferring FAQ

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun May 24, 2009 6:37 am

hombredulce wrote: Will a school generally come up with more aid to keep a top student around?
Depends on the school, but most don't give much to keep a student around. The reason is US news ranks largely based on selectively with LSAT/UGPA, so there is little incentive to pay money to keep a good student around (in comparison with giving full rides to high LSAT/UGPA, which helps with rankings). It seems that there is some implicit belief that higher LSAT correlates with higher bar passage rates in some way and that's another thing that helps with rankings. So I guess a student that made top 1% of their class but had a 15x LSAT really isn't worth keeping around because it hurt the school taking them in the first place, and if the school believes that the student is less likely to pass the bar because of the correlation with LSAT and bar passage, it seems practical to just let the student leave.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun May 24, 2009 9:37 am

Did anyone who transferred have trouble getting the full credit for the courses taken at their initial school?

cannoneer

New

Post by cannoneer » Sun May 24, 2009 9:57 am

^^^^^

Someone who transferred to my school didn't receive credit for a class taken as part of a study abroad program at the other school.

I imagine it's tough to get credit for internships, clinics, seminars, and any classes for which there is no obvious equivalent at the other school. Also, looking over transfer application forms, it seemed that schools have a maximum number of course hours they're willing to offer credit for. So if you take lots of hours over the summer, some may not transfer.

Hopefully someone who's actually transferred can chime in here.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sun May 24, 2009 11:12 am

snotrocket wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:he's going to start at a part time t3 program this fall, with hopes of transferring to a full time t1 program. i told him i wasn't sure if you could transfer from part time to full time jumping to DIFFERENT schools, let alone going from a t3 to a t1 doing it that way. PK, do you know if he can do this or not?
Most schools have credit hour minimums for transfer applicants, and I suspect a part-time student could not meet those until his second year, if it's a four-year program (maybe third semester, I don't know). He needs to check this point to see if it's possible for him to transfer at all, and if so when he could do it. If he's starting PT because that's the only way he got into the T3 school, then his chances for transferring anywhere seem grim at best.
he's working 35 hrs/week and is going to the t3 on a full ride...his numbers were good enough to reach probably 40's-50's t1 full time programs, but took the money and the ability to work at the same time instead. he is hoping to dominate and maybe transfer to a full time program in the top 25.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Sun May 24, 2009 11:19 am

midrangejumper wrote:he's working 35 hrs/week and is going to the t3 on a full ride...his numbers were good enough to reach probably 40's-50's t1 full time programs, but took the money and the ability to work at the same time instead. he is hoping to dominate and maybe transfer to a full time program in the top 25.
Well, tell him to check the credit hours thing then. I'm guessing he will have to wait until his second year to apply for a transfer from PT to another school, if it's possible. The big issue is that schools want you to have completed one year, and one year only, in order to apply as a transfer. A four year program might not have a point that corresponds to that. Two semesters will not be enough, and four seems like it would be too much (that would be the equivalent of applying after Fall of 2L). He probably ought to get something in writing from the school(s) that he wants to transfer to stating whether they will consider his application or not, and if so, at what point he should apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun May 24, 2009 11:27 am

cannoneer wrote:^^^^^

Someone who transferred to my school didn't receive credit for a class taken as part of a study abroad program at the other school.

I imagine it's tough to get credit for internships, clinics, seminars, and any classes for which there is no obvious equivalent at the other school. Also, looking over transfer application forms, it seemed that schools have a maximum number of course hours they're willing to offer credit for. So if you take lots of hours over the summer, some may not transfer.

Hopefully someone who's actually transferred can chime in here.
13B?

LoseItToMe

New

Post by LoseItToMe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Any transfers have OCI bidding strategy?

PK: finishing your 1L year around top 4% at 40-50, what range of firms did you bid on at Michigan? Would you have changed anything? Put in the exact same position but a year later, what range would you be bidding on in this year's OCI?

amped

New

Post by amped » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Do schools usually notify you of an acceptance via phone and notify of a denial via snail mail?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:34 pm

LoseItToMe wrote:Any transfers have OCI bidding strategy?

PK: finishing your 1L year around top 4% at 40-50, what range of firms did you bid on at Michigan? Would you have changed anything? Put in the exact same position but a year later, what range would you be bidding on in this year's OCI?
Very curious here, because I am in almost the exact same situation. Going to be 1-3% from a 30-40, going to Chicago.

The OCS guy at Chicago seems confident that most firms view transfer students well, and that the only ones I shouldn't apply to are the ones who would only take the very, very top students from Chicago (I.e., Wachtell, maybe a few others.) I want to practice in Chicago when I'm done, so Wachtell isn't on my radar (though, to be honest, I may bid on them anyway, because, let's face it.. who could turn down twice the salary is I *did* get lucky and get the gig?), but Kirkland and so on are, and I'm wondering if bidding on them is wise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tron

New

Post by Tron » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Any insight onto a URM transfer boost? Say t30 to t6?

EastCoaster

New

Post by EastCoaster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Edit: Deleted
Last edited by EastCoaster on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

amped

New

Post by amped » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Wanted to resurrect this to get PK's opinion (and any other 3L transfers) on when you take your old school off your resume. After you get your first grades at the new school? when you graduate?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:01 pm

amped wrote:Wanted to resurrect this to get PK's opinion (and any other 3L transfers) on when you take your old school off your resume. After you get your first grades at the new school? when you graduate?

Not a 3L (just a 2L) transfer, but I can tell you: while you're still in law school, you absolutely need to keep your original school on the resume. There is no legitimate debate on that point.

From there, opinions vary: some people say you should leave the original school on until you have one job under your belt, some say you can drop it immediately after graduating from the new school, some say you need to leave it on there forever. I think the last view predominates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks for bumping this thread. I've found some good advice in it.
I've decided to try a transfer to Michigan. I'm hoping to get some credit from the school since I grew up in Michigan and will be in the top % at Toledo and my LSAT is good. I'm becoming bored at Toledo.
Does anyone know if putting an interest in teaching in the transfer app is helpful at Michigan?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
amped wrote:Wanted to resurrect this to get PK's opinion (and any other 3L transfers) on when you take your old school off your resume. After you get your first grades at the new school? when you graduate?

Not a 3L (just a 2L) transfer, but I can tell you: while you're still in law school, you absolutely need to keep your original school on the resume. There is no legitimate debate on that point.

From there, opinions vary: some people say you should leave the original school on until you have one job under your belt, some say you can drop it immediately after graduating from the new school, some say you need to leave it on there forever. I think the last view predominates.
I was actually wondering this, good stuff

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”