My 0L class supplement reading list---comments? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
underdawg

Silver

Re: My 0L class supplement reading list---comments?

Post by underdawg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:51 pm

law preview only exists because of people like you
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:22 pm

You are assuming that reading all of those supplements over the summer, rather than with your assigned reading over the semester, will result in higher grades. That's flawed logic and a dangerous assumption, as far as I'm concerned.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 pm

aguacaliente wrote:You are assuming that reading all of those supplements over the summer, rather than with your assigned reading over the semester, will result in higher grades. That's flawed logic and a dangerous assumption, as far as I'm concerned.
Unless you can show that it is actually detrimental to grades, then it would be in someone's best interest to do the reading, as it can either do nothing for them, or prove beneficial.

But then again I should encourage everyone else to not do the reading, because that is just one more advantage for me.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:38 pm

First, I think law preview is not helpful at all, aside from giving you confidence.

Like I have said above, I have no proof that 0L reading does anything. But, my point is that there is a difference between great grades and top grades. I feel like the people here who have top grades (top 5 ranked students) this year and from what people said about last year all did above average reading before school started. It also sounds like it is true for this board as well. Maybe it helped. On the other hand, maybe they just already have a great work ethic and can discipline themselves.

I am also sure there are people who read a ton but didn't get top grades, but I doubt they got below average grades.

On the other hand, the students who are getting average/decent/good grades seem to always say to not do that. This is not surprising (as mentioned above). Obviously they did not dedicate their entire lives to the law. A lot of upperclassmen tell me not to study so much, or to not worry. Sure they are being nice, but it is hard to believe that hard work is not rewarded in some fashion. True, some of it will go to waste, but when grades come out after this first semester and then you send that 4.0 to firm applications, it is quite a different feeling.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:45 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
aguacaliente wrote:You are assuming that reading all of those supplements over the summer, rather than with your assigned reading over the semester, will result in higher grades. That's flawed logic and a dangerous assumption, as far as I'm concerned.
Unless you can show that it is actually detrimental to grades, then it would be in someone's best interest to do the reading, as it can either do nothing for them, or prove beneficial.

But then again I should encourage everyone else to not do the reading, because that is just one more advantage for me.
You also fail to recognize that doing all that reading can harm you, as well.

I have profs that specifically say not to talk about anything you read outside of what we did in class. Then you'll have to forget alllll that stuff you wasted your precious time doing. There is plenty of time during the semester to do all the reading you want from supps.

And if you really want to read them, don't try and read them all and learn everything. Just go for a big picture analysis. And also, just because you read the supplements over the summer does not mean you'll get that 4.0. There's a lot more to it than supplements.

Anyways, for each their own. If you want to read, then read. We're just warning you not to trick yourself in to thinking that reading ahead will magically get you perfect grades, because it won't.

Teddy Roosevelt

New

Post by Teddy Roosevelt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:47 pm

LawandOrder wrote: Unless you can show that it is actually detrimental to grades, then it would be in someone's best interest to do the reading, as it can either do nothing for them, or prove beneficial.

My opinion? Go for it. You seem pretty dead-set on doing some studying before law school and it's obvious nobody is going to change your mind at this point. Like you said, I don't think it could hurt you in anyway and at worst you'll have to re-read some of your supplemental books again at a later date. I think most people on here hate the idea of a "gunner" so are trying to undermine any benefits that might come with law preview. Good luck man, wish you the best.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Teddy Roosevelt wrote:
LawandOrder wrote: Unless you can show that it is actually detrimental to grades, then it would be in someone's best interest to do the reading, as it can either do nothing for them, or prove beneficial.

My opinion? Go for it. You seem pretty dead-set on doing some studying before law school and it's obvious nobody is going to change your mind at this point. Like you said, I don't think it could hurt you in anyway and at worst you'll have to re-read some of your supplemental books again at a later date. I think most people on here hate the idea of a "gunner" so are trying to undermine any benefits that might come with law preview. Good luck man, wish you the best.
Thank you, Mr. President. :D

bcb1986

New

Post by bcb1986 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Why don't you just read something, other than law, that you enjoy? You're about to read about law for three-straight years. I'm going on a presidential and supreme court justice biography kick. It's a lot lighter than law school stuff, and it will help me put my career in the context of history one day. Mostly, though, I just enjoy it and don't want to start law school before I actually matriculate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
Teddy Roosevelt wrote:

Thank you, Mr. President. :D
I don't think anyone is telling you not to do the Law Preview course or not to read because they hate gunners. I think they are doing it, because based on their experience it isn't helpful. As 1Ls and 2Ls we know more about what to expect and what to do than you do. That's just a fact. When we say something it's not to hurt you or make you fail, because you success or failure doesn't affect us at all.

On that note, if you feel more comfortable doing all those things than do it. I think feeling comfortable when entering law school is the best route to success. But I have also heard A LOT of bad things about Law Preview. I've never taken it, but have heard that it isn't worth. I Highly recommend reading Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential. E&E's I could see being helpful but not necessary.

Good Luck!!!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Phew. Good thing I did that.

j/k

Palsgraf

New

Post by Palsgraf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm

As stated in my lengthier post, reading as a 0L may very well have a detrimental effect. I have not had one professor that goes 'by the book' (the same order, emphasis, and presentation of the casebook). If you try to figure things out on your own and you are either wrong or your secondary source presents the material in a different way than your professor you will have to 'unlearn' what you did over the summer. You could end up more confused because of your preconceived notions, or you may interpret your professor's explanation as the same as your understanding from your reading. This could blind you to your professor's emphasis/nuance and end up hurting you on an exam. I suggest consulting secondary material after your classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:09 pm

I think you should read them cover to cover hardcore style =P

Even if it is not useful or helpful at all (for some odd reason), you have good practice in the necessary discipline (seriously).

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cannoneer

New

Post by cannoneer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Civil procedure's a great subject to read about before the semester starts. Probably every prof touches on the same material. The vocabulary and concepts are foreign, so early exposure is helpful. It's pretty cut and dried, so it can be easily self-taught (there's less of a risk here than in any other first year subject that your prof will have an idiosyncratic take).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Reading the supplemental stuff ahead of time is more likely to confuse you than anything else. I read absolutely nothing before school. I'm top 3% after first semester. I know people who did the whole PLS kick, who did "ok"... with that kind of resignation that you know means "I'm the curve."

There's nothing wrong with being the curve... but I really question the logic of reading stuff when you have absolutely no idea what your professors are going to cover.

cannoneer

New

Post by cannoneer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Reading the supplemental stuff ahead of time is more likely to confuse you than anything else.
This depends on your approach. If you're just looking to familiarize yourself with vocabulary and concepts, you won't get confused. It's quite natural, I think, to want to do some prereading, and I can assure you that it doesn't hurt.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Last edited by Esc on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Does anyone have any fun "Law School" summer reads? Paper chase is a movie.. but what's the famous book about the 1L? Or other good ones?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 pm

fluffy wrote:Does anyone have any fun "Law School" summer reads? Paper chase is a movie.. but what's the famous book about the 1L? Or other good ones?
1L by Scott Turow. Good read overall, I thought.

cannoneer

New

Post by cannoneer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 am

I really enjoyed A Civil Action, which gives you a first person perspective on the plaintiffs' side of toxic tort litigation. It clues you in on aspects of the trial process that you might never have considered (cost of putting together a case, length of time between filing a complaint and getting a final judgment, things different parties consider during settlement negotiations, stereotypes about lawyers at big firms, impact seemingly arbitrary judicial decisions can have on outcome during a jury trial). Highly recommended pre-law school read. It's a lot more entertaining than I may have made it seem above. Also, there's a very decent film adaptation you can check out after reading the book.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:12 am

If are just reading these out of boredom, that's one thing. If you think you'll get ahead, I highly doubt it... realize that the classes are highly based on what your prof thinks is important and the way they want you to analysis on the final (law school is highly subjective). So reading about things that don't even relate to what you'll cover in class isn't going to help you (and about 50% of the stuff in the supplements probably won't even be touched on and a LOT of stuff not in the specific supplement you read will be on your final). IMO, supplements are really only helpful AFTER it was covered in class and just to fill in the gaps you missed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”