OMG the Gunners Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Harry Pothead

Re: OMG the Gunners

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Hitachi wrote:Like half of this board is in Michigan IJKL section.
Yeah and you have a really odd accent. I hope you liked my napkin note :lol:

vee

New

Post by vee » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:26 pm

jennylynn wrote:
Alexandria wrote:One thing about being a 2L is that it's you're constantly exposed to a whole new population of gunners. As a 1L, you get to know the gunners in your section. They're your own, personal gunners. You may never grow exactly fond of them, but your disdain is like a brotherly or sisterly disdain. They're part of of the family, even if they're a super annoying part. You're sort of used to them.

Now all of the sudden, as a 2L, with each new class you take, you are faced with brand new gunners with their own unique style of gunnerism. Some of these are people you thought were normal law students and are surprised to find out that underneath their veneer of normalcy lurks this obnoxious beast. Some of them are people you swear you've never seen before in your life, and now you cringe at the sight of their hands in the air. They will never be your gunners. They will always be the enemy.
Possibly one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time... :D
+1!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Da Stain wrote:You know you're a gunner if....

you preface a comment in class with "I'm not sure if someone else said this, but...."

Yes you are. You heard it. You just couldn't think of anything else to say, but couldn't contain yourself.

I hate my evidence class.....
and the opposite is when called on, you say "what that guy said"
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

I dunno I think it's pretty gunnerish to say you would've gotten into umich if you tried because of your connections when you were waitlisted :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am

Harry Pothead wrote:I dunno I think it's pretty gunnerish to say you would've gotten into umich if you tried because of your connections when you were waitlisted :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
zOMG Michigan!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 am

underdawg wrote:
gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.
great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

our gunner is back with a fucking vengeance btw

Im still a UG but holy hell we have one in my Bio lab... this guy is stupid smart on a lot of things but he MUST interject his "insight" into every conversation and even has the audacity to correct the professor mid-sentence. He has virtually no tact and when just about everyone in the class sees him they want to ram a Bunsen-burner down his throat and turn it on high

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:16 am

savagedm wrote:
underdawg wrote:
gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.
great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

Im still a UG but holy hell we have one in my Bio lab... this guy is stupid smart on a lot of things but he MUST interject his "insight" into every conversation and even has the audacity to correct the professor mid-sentence. He has virtually no tact and when just about everyone in the class sees him they want to ram a Bunsen-burner down his throat and turn it on high
LMAO.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Chapter 2: You know you're a gunner if....

You go up to your professor after class to ask an asinine question that disguises the fact that the only reason you spoke to them on this particular day is because "I just thought you should know some people in the back were playing Hangman during class."

True story....

(And if the person who said that still reads the boards, shame on you. I'm too passive-aggressive to tell you in person. Or I'd say something resulting in a meeting with the Dean of Student Affairs. Probably the latter.)

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41 pm

For the humble overachievers: to be a good "vocal" student, when you speak in class, even if they don't like/agree with what you say, your classmates are smarter for what you've said. They've learned about the law or about a new way to think about the law.

To be a gunner, when you speak in class, your classmates have lost a degree of intelligence having listened to your drivel.

Believing that what you've said makes people better off doesn't necessarily make it true. You could either be correct in your belief or completely delusional. As long as someone has learned something, then you benefit your classmates. If noone learns anything, then you are spending your classmates' tuition on an ego trip. This is the difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Da Stain wrote:Chapter 2: You know you're a gunner if....

You go up to your professor after class to ask an asinine question that disguises the fact that the only reason you spoke to them on this particular day is because "I just thought you should know some people in the back were playing Hangman during class."

True story....

(And if the person who said that still reads the boards, shame on you. I'm too passive-aggressive to tell you in person. Or I'd say something resulting in a meeting with the Dean of Student Affairs. Probably the latter.)
Whoa, what an asshole. If I was the prof, I'd :roll:

What do gunners care whether others pay attention during class anyway? Doesn't their classmates' choice to play Hangman instead of minding the lecture only help gunners distinguish themselves from the 'competition'?

ts103

New

Post by ts103 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm

mac.empress

Bronze

Post by mac.empress » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:08 pm

underdawg wrote:
great definition

TITFCR!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 pm

My ProRes gunner is wearing a GUNNER t-shirt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:34 pm

mac.empress wrote:
underdawg wrote:
great definition

TITFCR!
10+ months of no comments, and a bump for "TITCR"?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Last edited by apper123 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:08 pm

apper123 wrote:I think everyone in my classes, esp the gunners, believe me to be dumb because I always fail on cold calls or any in class activities. Example: we had a "pop quiz" (quotations used because it wasn't worth a real grade), and I got most of the questions wrong. Why? Because I haven't done my standard supplement work yet, and that's how I learn. It's too early in the semester and Amazon is taking forever to ship me my stuff.
wow. thanks for the story of your life :)

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

MTal wrote:It's only the second day of class, and contrary to what I've heard, the gunners have only redoubled their efforts. Apparently they think that their low grades, far from being the result of talking too much, were the result of not talking ENOUGH. Some of these comments make me want to shoot myself.

Edit: I am in class, and needed to vent.
How do you know what grades they received? If they did well last term, maybe that's the problem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
mac.empress wrote:
underdawg wrote:
great definition

TITFCR!
These people need to back and take internet 101 clearly

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:11 pm

mac.empress wrote:
underdawg wrote:
TITFCR!
These people need to back and take internet 101 clearly[/quote]

The bumper is British so he clearly has more issues than he can deal with. Proper internet etiquette is somewhere below brushing his teeth properly on his to do list. :mrgreen:

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 pm

LOL. I have noticed that quite a few people believe that they can make up for their low first semester grades by turning into "gunners" in the second semester (all with the false belief that the gunners in our section did exceedingly well).

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

chadwick218 wrote:LOL. I have noticed that quite a few people believe that they can make up for their low first semester grades by turning into "gunners" in the second semester (all with the false belief that the gunners in our section did exceedingly well).
Do you know with any certainty that that belief is false?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

I was very confused when I opened this thread and saw the OP before looking at the date.

MTal is no longer a law student.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:LOL. I have noticed that quite a few people believe that they can make up for their low first semester grades by turning into "gunners" in the second semester (all with the false belief that the gunners in our section did exceedingly well).
oh no SBL, not you too....

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:10 pm

badlydrawn wrote:Best of the Autoadmit thread:

I think I know what to do - one day, while gunning, I'll get into such a heated and passionate argument with the prof that at the end of my speech, I just puke all over my desk.

But what will make it legendary is when I wipe off my mouth and continue gunning like nothing happened.
^^ Hilarious.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
The belief that turning into a "gunner" will improve one's performance or the belief that the gunners in our section did not do exceedingly well? With respect to the former, I cannot conclusively answer.

The later, on the other hand, I can confirm. At most, we have 2-3. Naturally, they are a little more outspoken with respect to thier grades. They did well, but not as well as they had hoped!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”