OMG the Gunners

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MTal

OMG the Gunners

Postby MTal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:03 pm

It's only the second day of class, and contrary to what I've heard, the gunners have only redoubled their efforts. Apparently they think that their low grades, far from being the result of talking too much, were the result of not talking ENOUGH. Some of these comments make me want to shoot myself.

Edit: I am in class, and needed to vent.

LSATahhhh

Re: OMG the Gunners

Postby LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:04 pm

MTal wrote:It's only the second day of class, and contrary to what I've heard, the gunners have only redoubled their efforts. Apparently they think that their low grades, far from being the result of talking too much, were the result of not talking ENOUGH. Some of these comments make me want to shoot myself.

:lol:

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:05 pm

<3

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I've looked up "gunner" on this forum, and even googled it and read some blog posts about them....but aside from just complaining and insulting them, I haven't come across much that really explains what distinguishes a gunner from a highly motivated law student (other than making supposedly stupid comments in class). Are all overachievers in law school labeled gunners?? I'm confused lol....help?

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:12 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I've looked up "gunner" on this forum, and even googled it and read some blog posts about them....but aside from just complaining and insulting them, I haven't come across much that really explains what distinguishes a gunner from a highly motivated law student (other than making supposedly stupid comments in class). Are all overachievers in law school labeled gunners?? I'm confused lol....help?

One of the rules when it comes to gunners...if you can't figure out who or what a gunner is...you are probably a gunner.
Last edited by MTal on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATahhhh

Postby LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:<3

Maharaj!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm

MTal wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I've looked up "gunner" on this forum, and even googled it and read some blog posts about them....but aside from just complaining and insulting them, I haven't come across much that really explains what distinguishes a gunner from a highly motivated law student (other than making supposedly stupid comments in class). Are all overachievers in law school labeled gunners?? I'm confused lol....help?

One of the rules when it comes to gunners...if you can't figure out what or who a gunner is...you are probably a gunner.

Hahaha....well, I'm a 0L so I have never been exposed to them....so that's not fair. :D Here's hoping I'll know 'em when I see 'em.....

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:15 pm

LSATahhhh wrote:

Maharaj!

Go away stalker

LSATahhhh

Postby LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:17 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
LSATahhhh wrote:

Maharaj!

Go away stalker

Maharaj! We Love You!
:lol:

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:18 pm

MTal wrote:It's only the second day of class, and contrary to what I've heard, the gunners have only redoubled their efforts. Apparently they think that their low grades, far from being the result of talking too much, were the result of not talking ENOUGH. Some of these comments make me want to shoot myself.

Do you go to a T14?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:19 pm

I've read that a gunner is a person who contributes nothing to class discussion except his/her opinion which no one cares about.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks....so it's pretty much the same obnoxious people from undergrad who love to hear themselves speak? :D

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
MTal wrote:

One of the rules when it comes to gunners...if you can't figure out what or who a gunner is...you are probably a gunner.

Hahaha....well, I'm a 0L so I have never been exposed to them....so that's not fair. :D Here's hoping I'll know 'em when I see 'em.....

I'm in the same boat. :roll: I'm pretty sure it means catty little wenches that are overachievers and always interrupt the prof in class to be a teacher's pet.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:23 pm

angiej wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
MTal wrote:

I'm in the same boat. :roll: I'm pretty sure it means catty little wenches that are overachievers and always interrupt the prof in class to be a teacher's pet.

Thanks for that! I'm slowly trying to catch up on law school jargon and I find myself having to interpret for my husband now when we have law school related conversations :D

Arrow

Postby Arrow » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:34 pm

For me, there's always been gunners in my classes. There's been people in middle school all the way through college who talk to impress and contribute nothing. Law schools tend to call those people who speak in class gunners, but then those who overachiever are also gunners.

Actually, all overachievers are sluts.

On the flip slide, that sucks that gunners are talking more. It is still the same for me, though there are always people who are disappointed about grades.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:41 pm

A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.

lishi

Postby lishi » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Maybe that got really good grades and think their gunnerish tactics worked for them.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:46 pm

gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.

great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

our gunner is back with a fucking vengeance btw

Whitty

Postby Whitty » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm

underdawg wrote:
gladiator wrote:A gunner is someone who makes you want to vomit or die when you see his or her hand raised in class.

great definition

no, law students don't hate everyone that talks, even a lot, in class. just the ones that contribute NOTHING when they talk

A little visine in his/her nalgene will shut them up :wink:

Kidding of course, uncontrollable vomiting should be reserved for only the most desperate occasions.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm

underdawg wrote:

great definition

That may change when grades FINALLY come in.

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 pm

--LinkRemoved--

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm

edcrane wrote:
underdawg wrote:

great definition

That may change when grades FINALLY come in.

i sure hope so, considering how she was complaining how easy some of the exams were

LolaSmile

Postby LolaSmile » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:22 pm

MTal wrote:

One of the rules when it comes to gunners...if you can't figure out who or what a gunner is...you are probably a gunner.

LOL. Well, there is a difference between being an over achiever and being a gunner. Gunners seem to think that brown nosing and mouth flapping count as being "over achieving." Real overachievers let their grades speak for themselves.

badlydrawn

Postby badlydrawn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Best of the Autoadmit thread:

I think I know what to do - one day, while gunning, I'll get into such a heated and passionate argument with the prof that at the end of my speech, I just puke all over my desk.

But what will make it legendary is when I wipe off my mouth and continue gunning like nothing happened.

Prosaic

Postby Prosaic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Whitty wrote:
underdawg wrote:

great definition

A little visine in his/her nalgene will shut them up :wink:

Kidding of course, uncontrollable vomiting should be reserved for only the most desperate occasions.

I prefer to bang my head against the wooden paneling until unconscious. I usually wake up in time for the next class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”